RoboCop Reboot - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like some things and I dislike some other ones. I really can't decide what to think of it just yet. I think I'm too attached to the original film to properly judge this new version.

His voice and the classic silver suit are the things I like the most. Not a big fan of the human hand and face. It could be a decent reversion of the character and let's be honest, it could've been a lot worse.

I feel like if they had gone and done too much from the original in this it would make people even more mad for taking too much from it, I'm glad they're trying to distant itself from it as much as possible with still keeping it Robocop.

fUfhjlf.gif

zI1T1WP.gif

9sYsthU.gif

Looks like he's fighting other cyborgs that look like him. Is the idea that they tried 100% pure cyborg cops before they made him the first fusion of man and machine?

My thoughts exactly gentlemen.

The delivery was great and I really enjoyed how this still very much feels like a Padilha film.

I liked the scene with him and his wife & son, and then his wife looking at his destroyed body asking if they could save him, it immediately gave me empathy for the characters.

As for the suit, looking at the action in the trailer my guess is he's back in the silver colour for the final act.

Omar gets no shine?
tocry.png

I didn't expect Michael K Williams' role to be this small, just to die in the beginning

sadbron.png
Whyyyyy????

Looks like he's fighting other cyborgs that look like him. Is the idea that they tried 100% pure cyborg cops before they made him the first fusion of man and machine?

I don't know why, but that struck me as a 'training' scene. Like those are just OCP's combat training 'bots to test his metal (pun sort of intended).

From the trailer I can't tell if this is going to be a good movie or a bad movie, only that it sure as hell won't be a Robocop movie.

I understand that, as a reboot, the imperative is to do something new and refreshing with the property, but I think that in making this a story about saving Alex Murphy's life by giving him a robot body, you've lost what made it Robocop. You're just doing your own thing.

If that's not clear, what I mean is this: Robocop isn't Alex Murphy with his head screwed on a sweet robobody with superpowers. Robocop is a chunk of brain (not even a whole brain, mind you) from a dead man, supplemented by computer hardware and programming, trying to figure out exactly how much of the man he used to be is left. Even when he started to remember himself there was no way around the fact that the part of him that was Murphy was irrevocably gone forever and replaced with something else. It wasn't simply that his body was different, he was a different person.

This is more Deus Ex: Human Revolution than Robocop, and likely to be less than both.

Incidentally, the suit looks awful in most of this footage. Certainly the CG shots will be improved before release, but the footage of the actual practical suit is pretty grim. Just looks like a suit. That said, the performance of peter Weller is what made Robocop believable--and there's not enough shown of the new guy for me to make any judgement on how he'll do in that regard. Sort of looks like he's just moving like a normal dude (which I guess would make sense considering he's just a normal dude with a sweet robot body) but again, not enough footage for me to say for sure.

I'm loving the super soldier type RoboCop than still being a robotic slug!

Last edited:
I don't know why, but that struck me as a 'training' scene. Like those are just OCP's combat training 'bots to test his metal (pun sort of intended).

I'd say you are most likely right with that one.

Eh, looks all right. Weller's robotic voice sounded much more...robotic.

Certainly, and it makes sense because Weller's Robocop was much more of a robot, as opposed to just a guy with a robot body.

I'm on the fence on this one. The trailer gave off a generic shoot 'em up vibe.

Yeah, it definitely looks like a cop training exercise.

Took a screenshot of the quick image that flashes by but doubt it has any particular meaning.

zkjz2b.jpg

I'll say this however, I'm loving the suit design and the robotic/super-soldier movement.

Perfection.

The voice/personality shouldn't be too human because the allegory is:

police = robotic

But they're obviously aiming to show that parallel in diferent ways. Possibly implying the human side of policing is merely a mask for the undeniable machine.

I'll be interested in how this Robocop explores that theme differently from the T-1000 in Terminator 2.

From the trailer I can't tell if this is going to be a good movie or a bad movie, only that it sure as hell won't be a Robocop movie.

I understand that, as a reboot, the imperative is to do something new and refreshing with the property, but I think that in making this a story about saving Alex Murphy's life by giving him a robot body, you've lost what made it Robocop. You're just doing your own thing.

If that's not clear, what I mean is this: Robocop isn't Alex Murphy with his head screwed on a sweet robobody with superpowers. Robocop is a chunk of brain (not even a whole brain, mind you) from a dead man, supplemented by computer hardware and programming, trying to figure out exactly how much of the man he used to be is left. Even when he started to remember himself there was no way around the fact that the part of him that was Murphy was irrevocably gone forever and replaced with something else. It wasn't simply that his body was different, he was a different person.

This is more Deus Ex: Human Revolution than Robocop, and likely to be less than both.

Incidentally, the suit looks awful in most of this footage. Certainly the CG shots will be improved before release, but the footage of the actual practical suit is pretty grim. Just looks like a suit. That said, the performance of peter Weller is what made Robocop believable--and there's not enough shown of the new guy for me to make any judgement on how he'll do in that regard. Sort of looks like he's just moving like a normal dude (which I guess would make sense considering he's just a normal dude with a sweet robot body) but again, not enough footage for me to say for sure.

Well I've said time and time again the ONLY robocop movie is RoboCop 1987. It began with that film and it ended. Much how people see terminator 1 and 2 being the only true terminator films.

Any other film, robo 2, 3, this, they aren't Officially Robocop. Sequels, reboots etc. so "this sure as hell wont be a robocop movie" doesn't really have any ground here. Of course it's not. It's Robocop, but not really if you get what I'm saying.

To me robocop is a one shot, it's meant to be the 1987 movie and that's the end of it. It can't possibly be better than the original, but it could be just as good in its own different ways.

I'm all for the reboot because I'm a huge fan of robocop. It will bring more attention to the name and it already has! I'm getting new toys and merchandise based on the 87 movie because of it! More people will watch the original that have dismissed it because of its horrible sequels and fan movies.

I understand there will never be anything like the 87 movie again, it's a product of its time and there's a REASON why we love it so much. There's reasons why there are sequels and reboots, but nothing will ever recapture what 87 did because thats what Robocop is. So anyone that's complaining its not a robocop movie, you need to look at it in a different perspective. Of course it's not going to be THE RoboCop. Because that is the 87 movie. THE definitive RoboCop. I can actually enjoy the reboot because of this. I'm not blinded by what robocop should be, because it began and ended with the 87 film. It's not 75+ years of artist interpretation, etc. like Batman, Superman and other comics. This character is based on one film and only one film.

So in other words, this IS a robocop movie, just not THE robocop. It's hard to explain, and hopefully someone else understands my ramblings lol. Easiest comparison I can think of is just the terminator films. It was meant to end at T2 and it officially does, no matter how many spin offs etc.

I'm a fan of the original film, but I don't mind that they're taking this in its own direction. The way I look at it, if I just wanted to watch a repeat of the original, then I might as well just watch the original again. I don't know if this will be a good movie, but I like the cast and it looks good enough to give it a fair shot.

I feel like if they had gone and done too much from the original in this it would make people even more mad for taking too much from it, I'm glad they're trying to distant itself from it as much as possible with still keeping it Robocop.

Yeah , it wouldn't be enjoyable to watch them try to imitate everything that happened in the original. At least this reboot will provide a different experience.

Well I've said time and time again the ONLY robocop movie is RoboCop 1987. It began with that film and it ended. Much how people see terminator 1 and 2 being the only true terminator films.

Any other film, robo 2, 3, this, they aren't Officially Robocop. Sequels, reboots etc. so "this sure as hell wont be a robocop movie" doesn't really have any ground here. Of course it's not. It's Robocop, but not really if you get what I'm saying.

To me robocop is a one shot, it's meant to be the 1987 movie and that's the end of it. It can't possibly be better than the original, but it could be just as good in its own different ways.

I'm all for the reboot because I'm a huge fan of robocop. It will bring more attention to the name and it already has! I'm getting new toys and merchandise based on the 87 movie because of it! More people will watch the original that have dismissed it because of its horrible sequels and fan movies.

I understand there will never be anything like the 87 movie again, it's a product of its time and there's a REASON why we love it so much. There's reasons why there are sequels and reboots, but nothing will ever recapture what 87 did because thats what Robocop is. So anyone that's complaining its not a robocop movie, you need to look at it in a different perspective. Of course it's not going to be THE RoboCop. Because that is the 87 movie. THE definitive RoboCop. I can actually enjoy the reboot because of this. I'm not blinded by what robocop should be, because it began and ended with the 87 film. It's not 75+ years of artist interpretation, etc. like Batman, Superman and other comics. This character is based on one film and only one film.

So in other words, this IS a robocop movie, just not THE robocop. It's hard to explain, and hopefully someone else understands my ramblings lol. Easiest comparison I can think of is just the terminator films. It was meant to end at T2 and it officially does, no matter how many spin offs etc.

As my post explained, my problem is not that this is a reboot, not that this is different, and not that they changed things in general. My complaint is that they changed a very particular thing that is what specifically makes Robocop Robocop. Similarly, one can make many, many changes to Superman in a Superman reboot, but if your movie is not about a boy from Krypton then I don't think you've actually made a Superman movie.

Last edited:
Well I don't think this Robocop will be coming to family dinners. At least I hope not.

"Dead or alive, you're coming with me...to family dinner".

I am huge fan of the original its one of my favourite movies ever and one of the best in its genre. I wasnt against a re-boot (though I would have preferred another sequel with Weller returning, something Verhoeven wanted to do about 10 years ago), but of course I sw the movie get pushed back, the rumours of fights with the studio, etc, and naturally I feared the worst.

I thought the trailer was really good though, I like how they havent just mimicked the original word-for-word and have done their own thing with it and I like the changes they have made to the story as well. Him actually meeting his son once he is Robocop and the fact that when he first wakes up he is mad at what they have done to him.

It looks interesting, and this certainly has my attention now, alot more so than before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"