RoboCop Reboot - Part 7

Hhhmm, I personally dont see it as relevant YET with Robocop, we need to see how much it makes 1st IMO.
If it is too early, why are people talking profitability already here? :huh:

Thor and Cap didnt make more than more their budgets if we include marketing domestically though, I know Marvel is different to other studio's, but they were the most obvious examples of what I was trying to say.
Except as you pointed out, they are not good examples because Marvel Studios is different.

I think it was profitable, just not as much as Disney wanted, now with Marvel and SW they KNOW they will make profit every movie, so it stands to reason a Tron sequel isnt a priority for them anymore.
Isn't that the point? If it was a real success they make it. Afterall they have had some hard times in terms of live action as of late.

Robocop only cost $100 million according to multiple sources, so DH5 cost $8 million less and I personally remember a lot more adverts for DH5 than Robocop got, though I dont live in the US so it may have been different there.

I think Robocop has a shot at making $250 million WW, then comes the BD/DVD sales. I also think a Robocop sequel can be made for less than this movie was.

Drop all the EM-208's and have only 1 or 2 Ed-209's in the sequel and there is some budget gone.
Fine, say it is $100mil. You even acknowledge you are thinkg $250mil. That is not profitable. Bringing up blu-ray/DVD at that point isn't really helpful unless you are expecting $50mil in clear profit from them.

What is important to realize here is these studios don't want to spend so much to make so little. If you are squeezing profits out of home media and tv rights, you are going to have trouble convincing investors making the sequel makes sense.

Why risk so much to make a few million, when they can just make another bad Evil Dead film for a fraction of the price and a lot more profit.

Just got back from the theater: Folks, I hated the movie. I nearly left the theater, but deceided to stick it out as a night out is few and far between with Grandma in town to watch our kids.

Was a huge fan of the original, i think it was the first R rated movie I saw.

This movie failed everywhere it tried to go. I'm not going to fault the film for not being the first movie or even trying to do the same things...but it just failed in every regard. First off the story is lackluster..poor set up of an actual antagonist (bad guys are terrible and hallow) and plot.

The effects and action were sub par..acting ranged from Adequate to bad. Film consistently was derailed by the Samuel Jackson faux fox news style talk segments that simply didnt work and were almost laughably bad. No chemistry between Murphy and Lewis or really any of the characters. Even Oldman is awkward in the film in terms of a moral compass. Keaton is wasted for much of the movie.

Looking for the first movie's great feel of a slightly dystopian near future Detroit? Dont look here. For all we know the flick took place in Duluth.

I do think its very fair to heavily compare the movie to its namesake. Bottom line is if you are rebooting you are also riding the coattails of the prior films fans...so a comparison is natural and OK.

Its OK also if your going to try new things, but your on the hook for them and if they dont work out...its on you.

I dont know what the deal with Verhovan remakes is these days...this is definatley much worse than Total Recall which was a decent movie on its own merit..but certainly still inferior to the OG as well.

It was a total waste of a night..as my burger was quite good and it was nice to get out.

Honestly i find the $ box office take ridiculous. Pacific Rim and John Carter were good movies that under performed. THis is BAD BAD BAD and we dont want anyone to make another.

Last edited:
Why during these conversations do people bring up that Io9 article and then not read it? :funny:

Look at the bit about international rights. And we already know Sony and MGM cut those up for this film. As the article said, "it depends". Everything from local taxes, which studio owns which territories, whether they sold local rights, etc.

Because there are so many variables that's why they say it's a general rule. :doh:.

My only complaint was the film needed a better and more evil villian, someone the audience would love to see get his in the end from robocop. The guy they did have was so forgettable i couldnt tell him apart from the he henchman.

If it is too early, why are people talking profitability already here? :huh:

Because people always do that on here unless a movie is a smash hit from the off, sometimes even then.

Except as you pointed out, they are not good examples because Marvel Studios is different.

There are other examples which I have mentioned though previously.

Isn't that the point? If it was a real success they make it. Afterall they have had some hard times in terms of live action as of late.

It must have had some success though for them to be even considering making it, its the same with PR, they are writing a script for both movies sequels. Green Lantern had a sequel in the works before the movie came out as well but that bombed well harder than any of these movies and the sequel talk quickly dissipated, Tron 3 and PR are still being talked about so they are a possibility at this point.

Fine, say it is $100mil. You even acknowledge you are thinkg $250mil. That is not profitable. Bringing up blu-ray/DVD at that point isn't really helpful unless you are expecting $50mil in clear profit from them.

I said the movie has a shot at making $250 million, not that it needs to make that, for its budget $200 million WW should suffice, but I think it may make more than that.

What is important to realize here is these studios don't want to spend so much to make so little. If you are squeezing profits out of home media and tv rights, you are going to have trouble convincing investors making the sequel makes sense.

But yet again it happens, G.I Joe: ROC, X-Men: First Class, Hellboy and more were all considered to have disappointing takes and all got a sequel. Studio's are more willing to make sequels to movies that only just make a profit these days. Plus International numbers are more relevant than ever as well.

Why risk so much to make a few million, when they can just make another bad Evil Dead film for a fraction of the price and a lot more profit.

See above, it happens, and I thought the Evil Dead re-make was pretty good myself.

Because people always do that on here unless a movie is a smash hit from the off, sometimes even then.
Projections for final tally are very doable at this point.

There are other examples which I have mentioned though previously.
I have explained the difference.

It must have had some success though for them to be even considering making it, its the same with PR, they are writing a script for both movies sequels. Green Lantern had a sequel in the works before the movie came out as well but that bombed well harder than any of these movies and the sequel talk quickly dissipated, Tron 3 and PR are still being talked about so they are a possibility at this point.
The question here is where is the talk coming from. It isn't the studios.

I said the movie has a shot at making $250 million, not that it needs to make that, for its budget $200 million WW should suffice, but I think it may make more than that.
And I am telling you that is close to sufficient. Do you think Deadline wrote that to fool someone?

But yet again it happens, G.I Joe: ROC, X-Men: First Class, Hellboy and more were all considered to have disappointing takes and all got a sequel. Studio's are more willing to make sequels to movies that only just make a profit these days. Plus International numbers are more relevant than ever as well.
And as I explained earlier, there are clear reason for this.

- First Class is a franchise film, they are attempting to turn into the Avengers with the sequel. They are basically ignoring the finale of the first film.

- GI Joe cut the budget and all but rebooted. And considering it is Paramount and Hasbro that isn't a surprise at this point. They have little to nothing, especially with Dreamworks Animation gone. Even still they had to bring in MGM.

- Hellboy 2 was a prestige plus hoping for a sequel boost. Hellboy was well received.

None of these really compare to the Robocop situation. Now that isn't to say they won't make a Robocop sequel, but these numbers and the general reception aren't encouraging in that regard.

See above, it happens, and I thought the Evil Dead re-make was pretty good myself.
Mediocre imo. Levy is the best part, and they lose her for the entire second act. Should have never possessed her.

since dredd has been brought up in this thread before (and since robocop was influenced by it too):

http://whatculture.com/tv/destination-star-trek-frankfurt-press-conference-report-2.php

^ looks like they are talking about making a sequel for dredd!

Karl Urban came on last and one of the first questions asked was if there is any chance of Dredd sequel. In what should be music to fans ears, he said ‘’conversations’’ are taking place between the studio, the director and writer Alex Garland. He commented that the cinema release of Dredd was badly handled but the film had found its audience on DVD and it has been noticed by the studio.
Read more at http://whatculture.com/tv/destinati...s-conference-report-2.php#WXLhJRtF546h7gAL.99

That would be an all time Hail Mary. Would love it.

just came back from watching Robocop

gotta say, i was pleasantly surprised. liked that it was not a straight up remake and actually had a bit more emotion than the original. the action scenes were badass.

hopefully a sequel gets made but it's looking unlikely unfortunately

Projections for final tally are very doable at this point.

But they will only be that, projections, for me China and Japan and how the movie does in both countries could be a big factor.

I have explained the difference.

And yet there are still plenty of movies which havent made a profit domestically that have gotten sequels.

The question here is where is the talk coming from. It isn't the studios.

In fairness, I havent seen anyone on this thread other than you mention the marketing, so it is seemingly coming from fans, thats not a jab at you BTW, just an observation.

And I am telling you that is close to sufficient. Do you think Deadline wrote that to fool someone?

Its Deadlines job to write articles.

And as I explained earlier, there are clear reason for this.

- First Class is a franchise film, they are attempting to turn into the Avengers with the sequel. They are basically ignoring the finale of the first film.

- GI Joe cut the budget and all but rebooted. And considering it is Paramount and Hasbro that isn't a surprise at this point. They have little to nothing, especially with Dreamworks Animation gone. Even still they had to bring in MGM.

- Hellboy 2 was a prestige plus hoping for a sequel boost. Hellboy was well received.

None of these really compare to the Robocop situation. Now that isn't to say they won't make a Robocop sequel, but these numbers and the general reception aren't encouraging in that regard.

G.I Joe followed the 1st movie very closely, it was only really the characters that changed, the storyline followed it purely and simply.

MGM want a franchise as well, they seem to have put a lot of effort into a Robocop re-make, I dont think it was just to make one movie and then move on.

As for Hellboy, being well recieved hasnt meant a sequel to Hellboy II has happened, and that was better recieved than the 1st movie, and they made around the same amount of profit at the BO, I think Hellboy is very comparable to the Robocop situation personally.

Robocop hasnt been recieved poorly, most fans who have seen it have liked it, and the reviews were mixed.

Mediocre imo. Levy is the best part, and they lose her for the entire second act. Should have never possessed her.

I liked it a lot, I know and like the originals, but arent a huge fan of them. I will agree that Levy was the best part though. At the other end of the spectrum though some of the best scenes were when she was possessed.

since dredd has been brought up in this thread before (and since robocop was influenced by it too):

http://whatculture.com/tv/destination-star-trek-frankfurt-press-conference-report-2.php

^ looks like they are talking about making a sequel for dredd!

Thats superb news, would LOVE a sequel to Dredd, such an awesome movie.

Something I'm a bit confused and unsure of...

Did Sellars and OmniCorp have anything to do with the car bomb that initally injured Murphy, or was that all Vallon and the dirty cops?

Something I'm a bit confused and unsure of...

Did Sellars and OmniCorp have anything to do with the car bomb that initally injured Murphy, or was that all Vallon and the dirty cops?

pretty sure that

was all Vallon & the dirty cops

^Yeah thats right, Sellers wanted an injured cop to be Robocop but [BLACKOUT]He didnt have anything to do with killing Murphy, that was all down to the criminals[/BLACKOUT].

I was actually expecting in the movie it would turn out that, but glad they went a different way with that.

Yeah, [blackout]in the first draft, Sellars and OmniCorp were the ones behind it all, and hired Vallon and his gang to all but murder Murphy, as he was the ideal candidate for the program.[/blackout] I was pleasently surprised they didn't go that route in the end, but just wanted to confirm it.

Yeah, [blackout]in the first draft, Sellars and OmniCorp were the ones behind it all, and hired Vallon and his gang to all but murder Murphy, as he was the ideal candidate for the program.[/blackout] I was pleasently surprised they didn't go that route in the end, but just wanted to confirm it.

Yeah I think that would have been a bit too similar to the 1st movie, I know Dick Jones didnt have Murphy killed in the original, but Clarence was working for him while killing cops.

hopefully a sequel gets made but it's looking unlikely unfortunately
Glad you liked the movie and yes, it would be a shame if the predetermined hate for this film destroyed the character’s second chance at a future.

Those designs of the suit make the black suit look really amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"