RoboCop Reboot - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like that they're doing something different with this. Why retread the original movie? We've already seen that one.

Trailer is badass.

Posted for new thread
[YT]x4ukwHdACDw[/YT]

Holy looks really phenomenal. I can't wait

I like that they're doing something different with this. Why retread the original movie? We've already seen that one.

Trailer is badass.

Posted for new thread
[YT]x4ukwHdACDw[/YT]
It is not about doing the same thing. It is about making a film that resembles Robocop.

This looks like Rise of the Machines and Salvation compared to Terminator and Judgment Day. Devoid of what made the original film great, and made the film its own special piece of fiction.

This could be fun, even good. But it doesn't look like it is going to be a Robocop film.

That trailer gave me vibes of the Total Recall remake. It looks too damn polished and sterile.

Except this is actually being directed by an excellent director who has dealt with similar themes in his Elite Squad movies and is also a great storyteller.

It is not about doing the same thing. It is about making a film that resembles Robocop.

This looks like Rise of the Machines and Salvation compared to Terminator and Judgment Day. Devoid of what made the original film great, and made the film its own special piece of fiction.

Sucks to be you, I think it looks awesome.

That trailer was not impressive. Looks too much like a generic, modern sci-fi action flick.

Sucks to be you, I think it looks awesome.
I just watched Peyton Manning throw 7 TDs. It is great to be me. :word:

That trailer was not impressive. Looks too much like a generic, modern sci-fi action flick.

Ding, ding, ding! There is TDK, The Avengers, Harry Potter, District 9, Inception, and other recent genre defining films and those that want to look like them. This films like the latter

Last edited:
There's a huge difference between what makes a film and a comic book. The character of Robocop originated from a film written by neumeier and minor, directed by Paul Verhoeven, acted by Peter Weller. Those are the guys who brought robocop to life originally and who are robocop. If it does not involve them it isn't robocop either way. Comic books are often monthly/weekly episodes hand drawn and written by various different people through various different titles and have lasted much much longer than robocop.
Again, you're not demonstrating any difference, certainly not one that is relevant to anything I'm talking about. Robocop was created by specific people, and then other people carried the franchise forward. Superman was created by specific people, and then other people carried the franchise forward. The situation is the same--the only difference is that in the case of Robocop, the other people did an inferior job of it.

I'm sorry for snipping off the rest of your post, as I'm not trying to be rude, but it seems pointless for us to pursue this any further. I understand why you think it's okay to adapt the material this way. I do not, and the fact that there is only one good Robocop movie will certainly not convince me to change my position regarding the importance of what has defined the property across it's various incarnations (which includes comics, incidentally), regardless of their quality.

The trailer looks...fine...to me...though I'm not a Robocop fan. I really wish that studios could figure out a way to tap into the original audience PLUS a new audience without rebooting properties.

I actually think that, in terms of look and style, is doesn't look particularly generic. In terms on content, though, yeah, I definitely think it is safe. You know what I mean?

Robocop '87 (or maybe I should call it Realocop) was black. Black in terms of humour, black in terms of content. It was a mean, unforgiving movie that wasn't afraid to offend people. And jeeze, Robocop was a frigging horrow show once you got that helmet off.

This... is just a guy with a sweet robot body. A superhero movie. Safe. Easy. Nothing disturbing about it. Nobody is going to walk out offended. Some people might think that's a good thing. I think it means you're not taking any chances.

This looks very generic to me, kinda like, as someone upthread mentioned, the Total Recall remake. That said, I have not seen Elite Squad and have heard good things, so I'm still holding out hope that this turns out much better than the TR remake did.

I'd say comparisons to the Total Recall remake along with Terminator Salvation are apt.

And this:

Robocop7.jpg

Don't understand the complaints at all. There's nothing about this that looks generic. Looks like they have successfully rebooted the beloved Robocop

This... is just a guy with a sweet robot body. A superhero movie. Safe. Easy. Nothing disturbing about it. Nobody is going to walk out offended. Some people might think that's a good thing. I think it means you're not taking any chances.

To me he looks just like a guy in a suit (superhero costume). The original felt like a real machine with few human attributes whereas this, with the exposed hand and more of the face shown, doesn't share that. I do like the voice though.

I'd say comparisons to the Total Recall remake along with Terminator Salvation are apt.

And this:

Robocop7.jpg

That looks like a behind the scenes look since you can even see his eyes there.

Don't understand the complaints at all. There's nothing about this that looks generic. Looks like they have successfully rebooted the beloved Robocop

Does it really look like something new? It's looks like Iron Man.

To me he looks just like a guy in a suit (superhero costume). The original felt like a real machine with few human attributes whereas this, with the exposed hand and more of the face shown, doesn't share that. I do like the voice though.

That's also a big gripe I have. The original was about a machine learning to become human again, this one makes it look as if he's still human after the transformation. He certainly seems to act like it.

They should retitle this movie to 'BoboCop'.

You guys can tell a whole movie by a barely 2 minutes trailer? I'm speechless!

Ps: I guess some of you were to busy getting off your rockers to pay attention when Gary Oldman's character says he will be paralized from waist down and they even show he's still in "one piece" (minus left leg and right foot).

You guys are probably right, I just thought at some point they might unleash the old models on him.
I personally think that's still a possible scenario for the climax/final battle of the film.

Me too, exploring the adjustment he has to make more acutely I think is a good idea.

I agree, to me the movie is still covering the essentials but I like the fact there is more of Murphy and how it's looking at the dangers of faceless weapons with no accountability being a way of dispersing justice in the future, not just in war but domestically.
Perfectly said.

I'd also like to add that having Murphy hold all his memories and essentially be intact aside from his extensive prosthesis is equally nightmarish for very different reasons. That to me already adds a fresh new dynamic to the film which respectfully separates itself from the original while still tackling the issue of identity and humanity through a different avenue.

Murphy getting burned via car bombing is lame. he should have been shot up to a bloody pulp like in the original :down

"Grasping at straws to find something not to like"?

God know that sounds nothing like the Hype. :o
:wow: :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"