Eternals Rotten Tomatoes watch thread

Which is dumb. Also, Iron Man 3 came out over 8 years ago. The movie doesn't hold up nearly as well for me as it did at the time. Views on movies can change and sour or even improve over time. Even Roger Ebert acknowledged later on that he thought the South Park movie was a good film which he trashed when he first saw it.

That's not who I'm referring to.
That has nothing to do with anything.

Who re you referring to?

Fast 9 - 59%
Fate of the Furious - 57%
Hobbs & Shaw - 67%

So if those movies get another 200 reviews, does it go up or down? Basically, you're only pointing out that a larger number of critics still far preferred Birds of Prey and Captain Marvel to these Fast movies.
You can't be this obtuse.

Why do you think BOP, a movie that made 200m at the box office, ended up with Civil War and BvS level of reviews on RT. In comparison to one of the largest franchises there has ever been?

And if you answer is, "I don't know", maybe take a second to think about it. I mean after all you post on a superhero flick board.

I think deep down what you're upset about is that Birds of Prey and Captain Marvel are right on the edge of 80% and it doesn't look quite as nice.
I brought up 1984. That's nowhere nearly 80%. You brought up Captain Marvel, and just proved my point.

I'd say the vast majority covering entertainment/film are but there are definitely some right-leaning ones as well. I just don't see that these critics or some of the recent RT-approved ones are review-bombing Eternals or any other films in general, especially when looking at most of the critics' review histories.
I specifically said Eternals was a poor example, and that I wish this came up with BOP or 1984. Did you start reading this conversation halfway through? That was my literal first post on this topic.

Why do you think these movies ended up with much larger review counts then similar fare?

I specifically said Eternals was a poor example, and that I wish this came up with BOP or 1984. Did you start reading this conversation halfway through? That was my literal first post on this topic.

Why do you think these movies ended up with much larger review counts then similar fare?
I don't have a real answer for that. I sure some of the variation is due to some critics chasing clicks while some of it is just critics knowing their audiences and reviewing films their readers are most likely to see. During the pandemic, part of it was access to seeing films in a timely manner.

I'm not complaining about Black Panther's reception. If 79% is "extremely good", what is 96%? Extremely, extremely good?
Yes.

I am going to make this very clear. The movies would have a higher score, if they had the median amount of reviews. But, because of their footprint inside the culture wars, they got dinged on RT. Maybe not Black Panther. But Captain Marvel and BoP? Yes imo.

If you do not believe that to be the case, why do you believe Captain Marvel, Birds of Prey and Black Panther ended up with so many reviews? Do you not think Black Panther got an influx of reviewers that perhaps don't cover such movies, do to it's cultural significance? Both it and Captain Marvel were advertised by Disney with that in mind. So you think it didn't come up? It's the same with Joker. Which had hug culture war implications, that were ll over the reviews.

As I pointed out in the original post that started this discussion. My issue with bringing up this conversation with Eternals, is it feels like we just had two movies obviously attacked from this basis in BoP and 84, but were overlooked for a reason I do not understand.

I'd think you had a point if the extra influx of reviews literally caused the films to drop the film to go rotten, but that isn't the case, they were both very very well received by critics, and while you keep assuming the extra reviews swayed into the negative direction, how can you be so sure of that and not that maybe it was the other way around and it swayed them into positive territory?

This is all just giving me flashbacks to how gamers complain when IGN rates a videogame an 8/10 instead of a 9/10. It's ridiculous, it's still a good rating. 8 out of 10 critics recommend BoP and Captain Marvel. Are you seriously gonna make that big of a deal over the 2 that don't?

WW84 had an entire plotline centered around Wonder Woman raping a dude. It's not hard to see why it ended up on rotten territory. The first one had even more reviews and ended up with a solid 93% on RT, it has nothing to do with sexism or whatever it is you're implying.

Last edited:
As someone who lived through early 2000s marvel movies, it’s nice to see this kind of humbling, especially for certain folks who acted like RT is the “be all, end all” indicator of quality. Maybe now we can all move past RT as some sort of godsend to mankind.

and I say this as someone who lived and breathed marvel as a kid on Saturday mornings

Fans only care about stuff like RT so they can use it to validate their opinions.

I'm guilty of that as well.

This is all just giving me flashbacks to how gamers complain when IGN rates a videogame an 8/10 instead of a 9/10
I think this has more to do with people thinking the 8 rating is some kinda "safe" rating. From what I remember people was saying IGN was scared to give reviews that are either too high, or too low. Lol

Fans only care about stuff like RT so they can use it to validate their opinions.

I'm guilty of that as well.
I've been saying this, but people aren't going to listen. RT is probably the worst thing to ever happen to movie reviews.

My post from the Shang-Chi RT thread over two months ago:
I’ll say it again: the day a MCU movie gets a rotten rating will be at a time when Kevin Feige is no longer at Marvel Studios.
This is all my fault! I jinxed things. The MCU’s first ever rotten score are all because of me!! I’m sorry everyone. @Spider-Fan I will totally understand if you ban me for unintentionally ruining the MCU’s good reviews streak. :o

My post from the Shang-Chi RT thread over two months ago: This is all my fault! I jinxed things. The MCU’s first ever rotten score are all because of me!! I’m sorry everyone. @Spider-Fan I will totally understand if you ban me for unintentionally ruining the MCU’s good reviews streak. :o
tumblr_o4jjb5MLuL1tbealgo1_r1_400.gifv

tumblr_o4jjb5MLuL1tbealgo2_400.gifv

tumblr_o4jjb5MLuL1tbealgo3_400.gifv

:oldrazz:

9 consecutive negatives, down to 48%, thereby firming up its score in the 40s after 262 reviews. Mind-boggling !
I think some of these critics are just piling on now.
They smell blood in the water.

You know coming out of the theatre I’m kinda still surprised this thing is rotten, even though I have my own little problems with it. I would have thought it would be in the 60s or something. But hey I know how RT works.

ki84l7bujwx71.jpg

For reference:

Additionally, Black Widow got an A- and Shang-Chi got an A.

That guy did a half-hour video where he trashed X-Men (2000) because it wasn't faithful enough to the comics.
So, yeah...

I really dislike Doug Walker, but the first x-men movie is pretty embarrassed about it's source material.

Might indicate that the legs for Eternals will be poor though. BvS, for example, also got a B.

I will be curious to see what WOM looks like on this one. I hope it is strong, but we won't really know until we see the 2nd weekend grosses

That has nothing to do with anything.

Who re you referring to?

You were the one who brought up Iron Man 3.

You can't be this obtuse.

Why do you think BOP, a movie that made 200m at the box office, ended up with Civil War and BvS level of reviews on RT. In comparison to one of the largest franchises there has ever been?

And if you answer is, "I don't know", maybe take a second to think about it. I mean after all you post on a superhero flick board.

Birds of Prey is part of the DCEU. It's a spinoff of Suicide Squad, which was connected to Batman v Superman. Starred Margot Robbie. You don't really have any evidence to back up your point other than that it bothers you that there are *MORE* reviews for Birds of Prey than other films. If alt-right critics are bringing the rating down, how about showing some factual and empirical evidence to back that up?

I brought up 1984. That's nowhere nearly 80%. You brought up Captain Marvel, and just proved my point.

Wonder Woman has 471 reviews right now on Rotten Tomatoes and 93%.
Wonder Woman 1984 has 436 and 58%.

So what is your point here? Did alt-right dukeebags APPROVED FOR TOMATO METER review bomb the film on Rotten Tomatoes? What happened here? What if critics just didn't like the movie as much as the first when the first movie received overall sterling and glowing reviews?

Same director, same star as the first one.

In terms of CInemascore Eternals is also (shamelessly copied from Reddit):
-Lower than every DCEU movie except one.
-Lower than all Sony Spider-Man movies (and Venom movies)
-Lower than all Fox X-Men movies except Dark Phoenix and the undefined New Mutants.
-In line with Ghost Rider, Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice, Catwoman, Daredevil, Elektra, Fantastic Four (2005), Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Glass, TMNT 2014, Bloodshot, Green Lantern, Constantine, Watchmen and Batman Returns.

We don't have to wait until the 2nd weekend. Saturday and Sunday drops are pretty good indicators of WOM

I think this has more to do with people thinking the 8 rating is some kinda "safe" rating. From what I remember people was saying IGN was scared to give reviews that are either too high, or too low. Lol

Maybe people need to broaden their horizons a little bit and not just worry about one reviewer and one website's opinion.

I really hope it doesn't it drop by much this weekend.
If it does THE HATERS WILL NEVER SHUT UP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"