Age of Ultron Ruffahulk Ruffasmash - Part 1

In the narrative sense, there was no other reason to have Hulk be TKO'd by a punch from Tony except to make Iron Man look good.

In the comics, after a Hulk rampage, he usually jumps away or turns back into Banner. His rampages are not typically ended by ONE character knocking him out by themselves. And if he is knocked out to stop his rampaging, it's usually a group of heroes that KO him, not just one punch from one hero.

Why the Hulk couldn't have just turned back into Banner after seeing the aftermath of their fight is beyond me. But I did enjoy the rest of the fight, so I shall attempt to curb my raging for now.

In the narrative sense, there was no other reason to have Hulk be TKO'd by a punch from Tony except to make Iron Man look good.

In the comics, after a Hulk rampage, he usually jumps away or turns back into Banner. His rampages are not typically ended by ONE character knocking him out by themselves. And if he is knocked out to stop his rampaging, it's usually a group of heroes that KO him, not just one punch from one hero.

Why the Hulk couldn't have just turned back into Banner after seeing the aftermath of their fight is beyond me. But I did enjoy the rest of the fight, so I shall attempt to curb my raging for now.

Totally agree, I just really hated that ending to it and it was obviously to not show Iron Man getting beat because he is the most popular. I would have actually preferred it if Thor had showed up at the end and knocked him out instead. Hulkbuster doing it just leaves a sour taste in the mouth, especially for Hulk fans.

Or as you said, he could have just reverted back to Banner and let Stark take him in.

Hulkbuster doing it just leaves a sour taste in the mouth, especially for Hulk fans.

Or as you said, he could have just reverted back to Banner and let Stark take him in.

100% agree. Hulkbuster, at least as far as I can remember in comics, has always been used to CONTAIN the Hulk, not actually stop him, because he can't be stopped unless he "walks away" like Widow said.

I truly don't mean to be a stick in the mud.
It's just that my two favorite comic book heroes have always been the two Bruces, Bruce Wayne and Bruce Banner.

And while Bruce W. has had some killer moments in cinema thus far, my boy Bruce B. Has had a cinema record that is spotty at best.
And after seeing him kick ass in Avengers 1, I was disappointed they used him they way they did. He looked great, but the Hulkbuster thing, I mean reallly? One punch? Ok, I'm done.

Last edited:
On a side note, do you think Abomination will ever be used again? He's one of a small handful of MCU baddies that isn't dead. Hope to see him again one day. Or maybe Samuel Sterns...

The way the Hulk was taken out didn't bug me when watching but listening to the gripes here kinda makes me think it was a bit strange to just knock Hulk out like that. Shouldn't the fall/smash through the skyscraper have just made him more angry?

Also, didn't Joss say Hawkeye AND Hulk would have larger roles in this one? Certainly Hawkeye did but I can't see that applying to Hulk in this one. If anything, he was more prominent in the first one; especially since he arguably took out the villain himself.

Hulk had more screen time than in the first Avengers, but I don't think his role was expanded like we were promised.

On the plus side, he looked amazing. Even better than the first time around. ILM know their stuff. I can't wait for the day when inevitably he has an awesome voice and more of a speaking role in live action, sort of how he has been portrayed in the animated medium. It will happen one day! We'll just have to be patient and wait a bit longer.

They probably cut alot of stuff. We still didn't see that scene in the lab with Bruce Hulking out, so I'm betting it is cut footage.

I wish the Hulk spoke in the movie. I honestly have no idea whats next for the character.

100% agree. Hulkbuster, at least as far as I can remember in comics, has always been used to CONTAIN the Hulk, not actually stop him, because he can't be stopped unless he "walks away" like Widow said.

I truly don't mean to be a stick in the mud.
It's just that my two favorite comic book heroes have always been the two Bruces, Bruce Wayne and Bruce Banner.

And while Bruce W. has had some killer moments in cinema thus far, my boy Bruce B. Has had a cinema record that is spotty at best.
And after seeing him kick ass in Avengers 1, I was disappointed they used him they way they did. He looked great, but the Hulkbuster thing, I mean reallly? One punch? Ok, I'm done.

Yeah totally agree, I would have actually rather Thor just turned up from no were to knock him out but the way it was done was poor. But of course, we cant have Iron Man losing a fight now can we? He has beaten Hulk, Ultron and been able to hang with Thor one vs one, its getting ridiculous now.

As for Abom, I had given up hope of ever seeing him again, but now General Ross is in CW you just never know.

The way the Hulk was taken out didn't bug me when watching but listening to the gripes here kinda makes me think it was a bit strange to just knock Hulk out like that. Shouldn't the fall/smash through the skyscraper have just made him more angry?

Also, didn't Joss say Hawkeye AND Hulk would have larger roles in this one? Certainly Hawkeye did but I can't see that applying to Hulk in this one. If anything, he was more prominent in the first one; especially since he arguably took out the villain himself.

I remember Joss saying they would both get more screentime yes, but he didnt, I think thats more down to Marvel who wanted Iron Man, Cap and Thor as the central characters. Even though we have seen more of these characters than anyone else and frankly, especially in the case of IM, I am getting a bit sick of them.

The Iron Man worship is a joke. He is going to completely dominate civil war and IW1/IW2. Iron man is a completely unstoppable.

Might as well have called this film Avengers:Age of Iron Man and the next film series Avengers:Iron Man Infinity 1/2.

Hulk had more screen time than in the first Avengers, but I don't think his role was expanded like we were promised.

On the plus side, he looked amazing. Even better than the first time around. ILM know their stuff. I can't wait for the day when inevitably he has an awesome voice and more of a speaking role in live action, sort of how he has been portrayed in the animated medium. It will happen one day! We'll just have to be patient and wait a bit longer.

This I agree with, he looked fantastic and more importantly, consistent. The transformation back to Banner was one of the most seamless bits of CGI I've ever seen. And while I agree the Hulkbuster armor shouldn't have been enough to knock him out, the scene itself is just so gorgeous I couldn't care too much. Until it comes out on Blu ray that is, then I'll be raging lol...

I like how everyone says Iron Man is unstoppable, despite the fact that he was clearly getting his ass handed to him, and only won due to a sucker punch when Hulk was calmed down. :rolleyes: :dry:

I like how everyone says Iron Man is unstoppable, despite the fact that he was clearly getting his ass handed to him, and only won due to a sucker punch when Hulk was calmed down. :rolleyes: :dry:

IM's unstoppable when he can keep replacing and upgrading his suit. Hulk gave him a real good fight, but IM won because Stark can out-technology anyone whenever needed. What exactly would it take for IM to lose a fight, anway?

Now that I think about it, it is a little troubling that IM was able to beat Hulk on his own, even with the Hulkbuster armor. They should've made it so that Hulk comes back to his senses somehow. Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what Wanda did to him? Was she mind controlling him? Can she do that? It would have been nice to see what Wanda did to Hulk's mind that caused the rampage.

Now that I think about it, it is a little troubling that IM was able to beat Hulk on his own, even with the Hulkbuster armor. They should've made it so that Hulk comes back to his senses somehow. Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what Wanda did to him? Was she mind controlling him? Can she do that? It would have been nice to see what Wanda did to Hulk's mind that caused the rampage.

I think it was rumoured that Scarlet Witch made Hulk see Leviathans flying around which is what made him go on a rampage.

I actually think she just made banner see his worst fear of hulk going on an unstoppable rampage.

IM's unstoppable when he can keep replacing and upgrading his suit. Hulk gave him a real good fight, but IM won because Stark can out-technology anyone whenever needed. What exactly would it take for IM to lose a fight, anway?

Iron Man won because Hulk stopped fighting.

I wish the Hulk spoke in the movie. I honestly have no idea whats next for the character.

He didn't speak at all in this one, did he? In the first we got the very clear jab at Loki but wasn't there a few places where he said "stop" when getting fired on by the jet and also when he smashed the Chitari from building to building?

If so, this movie was actually a step back for the Hulk.

I didn't like how they cut after the punch. Hulk seemed a little weakened after the fall but then he was getting angry again when he saw the cops.

Seems like they just conveniently glossed over how the Hulk was actually subdued.

Same, IM is just far too powerful in these movies, plus earlier in HB punched Hulk repeatedly in the face and couldn't know him out, then is able to do so with one punch? Hulk isn't needed on the team anymore with IM on it the way he was presented in this movie.

Thanos doesn't have a chance against Iron Man. Who would win RDJ Iron Man or Dominic Torretto?

Iron Man didn't win because he's "popular". He won because it makes narrative sense. I mean, first, other than Widow, Banner's most defined relationship is with Tony as we see the two of them working together in the lab constantly, and so having them fight has more emotional impact. Second, story wise Tony needed to have his vision earlier, but the for the most part you want Wanda to hex everyone at the same time to cause the most chaos for the team. That left Tony and Hawkeye as the two unaffected characters avalible to take Hulk down. Now, I'm totally willing to believe that Tony and Bruce had multiple back-up plans - we know they have Thor on Hulk Watch and worked on HB together - so the idea that Hulkeye has some special tranq arrow isn't that far fetched but Hawkeye literally just took out a huge danger using that trick. Plus, his connection to Bruce isn't as strong.

So, the story is set up so Tony is the only one who can fight Hulk at this point. Now you can't have Hulk win because he's in a unstable brainwashed state - having him win would likely mean straight up killing Tony. That has nothing to do with popularity, they are just not going to have one Avenger murder another on screen. So then your choice are have Tony "win" (by taking advantage of Hulk's lapse back into control and likely at a point where the Hulk side of him was fading back to Banner anyway) or have Hulk run away. Only in a movie where they had to cut so much, that wouldn't work. You would have to devote time to him realizing what he'd done, fighting through the army that thinks he's a monster to go off on his own, and then have that awkward scene where after this huge traumatic incident that he ended by running away have Bruce go back home to the Avengers. And you couldn't just leave that there. I mean, it's believable that Hulk transformed back into Banner right where the team was so they help him out, get him settled in the quinn jet, and just continue on. But for Bruce to leave then choose to come back (especially when he just leaves again later)? That takes more story telling time because you have to justify that action.

So while you can definitely say Tony got the knock out punch for time management or quick narrative movement or even just for laughs I really don't think it was any kind of popularity. Honestly, if the narrative needed Tony to get his vision along with the rest of the team and Hulk duty had been left to Hawkeye, guess what? Clint would have had to sneak take him down with an arrow and he is so not more popular than Hulk. It just had to happen and it made the most sense for Tony to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"