*RUMORED* Bad News For Wolverine And The X-men Season 2

TheVileOne

Eternal
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know this isn't the best day and all with the news about Spectacular Spider-man going away and the new Ultimate Spider-man series.

The worse news also came from the same news post on Comics Continuum regarding season 2 of Wolverine And The X-men:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1004/13/index.htm

In other Marvel Animation news, The Continuum has learned that it is, according to a source, "very unlikely" that there will be a second season of Wolverine and the X-Men.

Nicktoons did not include the show in its recent upfront presentation.

Now looking at this, it's clearly just a rumor. Comics Continuum doesn't have a solid source behind it, there is the Nicktoons thing though and we all had speculated that the second season would also be on Nicktoons.

Now earlier in the year the Marvel Animation folks discussed that there were some production delays they needed to resolve but were committed to moving forward on season 2. We knew the cast was apparently on board. Designs were done and also some storylines were probably outlined or written out going by last year at Comic Con.

The first season wrapped up on NickToons late last year.

Again I'm not saying the rumor is true, but I'm very concerned right now. Disney is the new owner, things seem to be changing a bit. Perhaps resources are being changed or re-directed, I'm not sure. Again that's just speculation.

But mainly my concern is now that Spectacular at least officially is gone right now, I'm worried that Wolverine and the X-men is about to suffer the same fate. I hope not since there was so much more the show could do and places it could go.

I guess I'm just preparing my delicate psyche for the worst right now after the Spider-man news.

Now if the Avengers series goes away, then I will have to be locked up in a straitjacket.

Last edited:
Yeah, I read about that. If there isn't a 2nd season, maybe a direct to DVD movie will be released in place of it. I heard they produced 8 episodes so far. What are they gonna do, scrap all that hard work?

I can see Disney not wanting to finish Wolverine and the X-men, just to start a new X-men show in 2012.

Man I hope not. I don't see the point. Ultimate X-men is over. It wasn't that good.

Also Wolverine and the X-men was basically a good modern update of everything and drew stuff from a little bit of everything including Ultimate and a little bit of the movies.

I mean the whole Ultimate line itself is pretty irrelevant now isn't it?

I don't see it as all bad. If anything, and this is just speculation, Disney most likely spoke with marvel and wants to have a new X-men series for there Disney XD channel and to leave Nicktoons.

The new proposed Ultimate Spider-man could be the start of a shared animated universe again. My vote is for Disney to get Greg to make an Ultimate X-men cartoon. His Gargoyles was a great team show, and he already proved he can tell faithful throwbacks to past comic storylines while also moving forward creatively.

Is it wrong that I actually find this turn of events funny?

I don't see it as all bad. If anything, and this is just speculation, Disney most likely spoke with marvel and wants to have a new X-men series for there Disney XD channel and to leave Nicktoons.

The new proposed Ultimate Spider-man could be the start of a shared animated universe again. My vote is for Disney to get Greg to make an Ultimate X-men cartoon. His Gargoyles was a great team show, and he already proved he can tell faithful throwbacks to past comic storylines while also moving forward creatively.

I was about to say hell no...because Disny can't do dark...but...when you mentioned Gargoyles, one of my all time favorite cartoon series...I say yes.

Gargoyles was kid-friendly (which Disney likes) yet it had dark under tones(Demona, the hunters, etc), good drama and plots. I wouldn't mind seeing the people who did gargoyles doing it. I'd say get someone on the writing team with X-universe knowledge (current and past knowledge), good animation and I wouldn't mind seeing the results.

I hope they're wrong about W&TX; I hope an idea someone brought up about it coming back under just "X-men" happens. I liked the show personally.

I honestly wouldn't mind a new X-men series. I always found the idea of Wolverine leading the X-men preposterous.

LOL whatever. Gargoyles was 15 years ago, and Disney won't even release the whole series on DVD.

There's no indication of a shared animated universe. None of that makes any sense either.

There's no reason not to continue Wolverine and The X-men which is an awesome show.

Don't you get it guys, ANIMATED DEADPOOL! Animated Colossus. All of that is/was supposed to happen in season 2!

I heard about this yesterday, and it puzzles me. As sad it is it to lose TSSM (while it isn't "official", neither was X-MEN EVOLUTION being canceled), I could understand some of the reasoning. Sony paid for it, not Marvel. It was made for a network that no longer exists (Kid's WB). The ratings on DISNEY XD, while not terrible, hardly set records. The DVD's don't sell well. While it really was a shame to see it end lock, stock, and barrel, I can see the reasoning. Heck, the legal feat of untangling the show from Sony may have proven too expensive or time consuming, or both, for it to be worth Marvel's time.

But WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN? I thought it debuted to legendary ratings for NickToons? Lion's Gate seems to be merrily churning out DVD's for it. There's even a toy line in place! Unlike TSSM, W&TXM was not caught in a perfect storm of network collapses or "average" ratings. It debuted on NickToons and stayed put.

Hell, less than two months ago, Josh Fine was talking up Season 2 for videos that COMICS CONTINUUM was releasing. Word was that 8 episodes were written and on their way. Images were promoted at the SDCC last year. This was very much something that was supposed to be happening.

I suppose I could be a jerk and look at some W&TXM fans, who sometimes smugly said, "Oh, well, good shows die, suck it up" to us TSSM fans, who now are worried sick over this show's fate and sort of not offer sympathy, but I'm not like that. Besides, I was looking forward to Season 2, too.

It is possible that Marvel & Disney want to focus on AVENGERS: EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES, but weren't the creative teams for both just a little different? It also disturbing that Marvel seems to have so much interest in promoting the Ultimate line in media. Ultimate is SO last decade already. Most of it stopped being relevant around 2007, and it's not coming back. It's an imprint that has outlived "2099", but also outlived it's usefulness. If it seems absurd to replace one "modern day Spidey cartoon set in high school" with another, it is MORE absurd to replace an X-Men show which already revised a lot of stuff and inserted modern tales with another show that will basically do the same. Must we see an Ultimate version of Sentinel tales, or Dark Phoenix? Marvel, and/or Disney's insistence on Ultimate merely shows how out of touch they are with their audience. Most of the Ultimate audience has abandoned it, in favor of "616" once again. Ultimate's heyday was 2000-2004, when Marvel animation was busy with X-MEN EVOLUTION and MTV SPIDER-MAN.

Looks like EVOLUTION may be the first, and last, Marvel cartoon of the 21st century to make it 4 seasons at this rate. Such a shame. And maybe the only reason it lasted even that long was because Warner Brothers was involved, and owned the network it aired on. The last animated comic book cartoon that lasted 5 seasons was, of course, "THE BATMAN". Perhaps the realization that networks and/or companies are suddenly weak in the knees about keeping a cartoon around even 1-2 seasons is why AVENGERS: EMH's is not pulling punches and churning out 52 episodes in Season 1. They know that Disney might change their mind on a dime and pull the plug if the movies don't perform as expected.

It could very much be that Marvel, and we, are learning that when Disney bought Marvel for $4 billion, they BOUGHT them. As in when they order Marvel to jump, Marvel asks, "How high, sir?" Which means all that hooey Joe Quesada claimed about Disney being "hands off" is just that; hooey. But if it was true, that these erratic moves are not Disney's doing, then that would be even more disturbing. Fans of comics always jokes how Marvel editorial is incapable of planning anything beyond a year or two, which has mangled the X-Men comics for years; it would be a shame if this hap hazard strategy has effected their TV arm, too.

There is the possibility that WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN is being retitled and that the "source" misunderstood that to mean the show is being canceled. Much as it could have been assumed when "THE NEW ADVENTURES OF BATMAN & ROBIN" left FoxKids, and it was about two years before "BATMAN: THE NEW GOTHAM KNIGHTS" debuted on Kid's WB with more episodes. For all we know the show could simply be retitled, "X-MEN: AGE OF APOCALYPSE". It isn't uncommon for anime shows to change the title for each season. Even the last 2-3 seasons of TMNT did so ("TMNT: FAST FORWARD", "TMNT: BACK TO THE SEWERS"). JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED was simply seasons 3, 4, and 5 of JUSTICE LEAGUE, only altered to fit Cartoon Network's whims.

Or, it really could be the end for W&TXM, which would suck. Despite all my nit picking, the show was above average, and I was looking forward to seeing it try to address those flaws and pine for greatness in Season 2. That, and yeah, Colossus too. Big metal man always gets screwed. If this IS the end, though, then the lesson learned is NEVER to assume another season will be a go before planning anything. Of course, unmitigated excellence from the pilot on didn't do SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN any favors. I don't see the sense in ending W&TXM, though. It makes little sense.

Last edited:
I'm starting to get annoyed with this constant rebooting of cartoons, it's severely dampening my enjoyment. First Spectacular Spiderman, now WATXM is getting thrown out the window (haven't announced a new series or anything but it's probably coming).

Wish Marvel could get their animation department going (had some great shows but inconsistent across the board). DC's been top notch.

LOL whatever. Gargoyles was 15 years ago, and Disney won't even release the whole series on DVD.

There's no indication of a shared animated universe. None of that makes any sense either.

There's no reason not to continue Wolverine and The X-men which is an awesome show.

Don't you get it guys, ANIMATED DEADPOOL! Animated Colossus. All of that is/was supposed to happen in season 2!
Yeah, that's why I "speculated." Also while W and txm might be awesome. I haven't really watched it. I don't get Nicktoons, like most of the country. Which could explain why it might not be returning. Marvel is part of Disney, marvel sold the show before they were owned by Disney, clearly, Disney wants the show back. And like what happened with the Spider-man cartoon, they don't want to continue sloppy seconds from some other network and want to start over. And the toy sales were crap, and cartoons live and die on toy sales. No other choice but to start over, Disney loves merch. It's why Power Rangers lasted as long as it did there instead of being outright canceled.

That interesting, Marvel and Sony can both make Spider-man cartoons.

This is insane. Closing down both shows is just stupid, especially when glimpses of the second season of WatXM have already been shown in the trailer that was shown a little while ago. And to not even have told Greg Weisman that SSM was over? Not a great way to treat their staff.

It was pretty hard accept that TSSM wasn't coming back and now the announcement that W&XM is also done, some questions really must be raised. What we know is that Disney owns Marvel and they apparently were not satisfied with trying wrangle TSSM away from Sony to continue the show and Nickelodeon is a competing company and airing W&XM on a competing company seem a bit odd. I think they clearly want an X-Men cartoon on DisneyXD. We also know that Disney is desperately trying to get the movie rights to all of their properties back from other studies to create a shared universe on the big screen.

I don't think it is too far-fetched to think that they want to mirror this on the small screen as well. They have already announced that Avengers: Earth's Mightest Heroes is coming to DisneyXD and now Ultimate Spider-Man is as well. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there is an X-Men cartoon in the works for DisneyXD as well. This leads me to believe that there will be a shared universe of Marvel characters airing on DisneyXD where they will utilize similar, maybe not exactly the same, but similar character models and the same voice actors for the characters. This would similar to how the 90's cartoons shared a similar loose continuity only this would be much more certain with advertised cross-overs and guest appearances.

The Ultimate line itself is dead and irrelevant.

Is Ultimate Spider-man even around anymore?

Ultimate X-men got cancelled. Why would they even want to make a show around that series? Also, Evolution and WaTXM even took some cues from the Ultimate line, so I mean, if that's what this is I mean it was already done.

Chances are Marvel won't ever officially announce it being over or cancelled since that's what happened with Spectacular.

I'm so devastated I almost want to start writing fan fiction.

Ultimate is just a name branding. And honestly I wouldn't be suprised if Disney/Marvel went with it for a whole line of shows. Just because it says Ultimate doesn't mean it "will" be based sololy on the Ultimate line of comics.

Yes, Ultimate Spider-man is still around. As it the Ultimates which has two books, and X-men is now a high-school drama with what seems to be the son of Wolverine, in Ultimate X. None of which I read. The only Ultimate book I read was UFF, and I dropped it when Millar left.

If Marvel were still just Marvel, and not Marvel/Disney, I'm sure there wouldv'e been a press release. Also kids show, don't often get news about being canceled. It's a kids show. They don't care. It's not like LOST, or Chuck where the show lives or dies on number of viewers on a major network. You never hear about a cartoon being canceled unless someone who worked on it tells people, like Chowder. Heck most of the time the network doesn't even tell the creator of the show they've been canceled they just quit calling. Just like Chowder. Or in a recent case, Spider-Man, since Greg didn't even know.

Yeah that's NOT Ultimate X-men though.

The Ultimate line just seems irrelevant and old hat now and they basically killed everyone off that mattered anyway.

I'm just really depressed and devastated right now. Spectacular and Wolverine and The X-men both dropped in one week.

Wow, whats up with Marvel canceling these shows. Well I hope we get a new X-MEN series soon. Maybe a show with a serious tone focusing on the original five, and have it lead into having Rouge, Wolverine, Storm, etc in later seasons.

Yeah they won't ever make an X-men show without Wolverine. Sorry. Wolverine's how you market the franchise.

Yeah they won't ever make an X-men show without Wolverine. Sorry. Wolverine's how you market the franchise.

Give me a core team with Cyclops, Jean, Wolverine, Storm, Beast, Nightcrawler, Shadowcat, and Colossus, and I'll be happy :yay:

Wow, whats up with Marvel canceling these shows. Well I hope we get a new X-MEN series soon. Maybe a show with a serious tone focusing on the original five, and have it lead into having Rouge, Wolverine, Storm, etc in later seasons.
Don't put the blame on Marvel. SSM just had to many cooks, and clearly, SONY and Disney couldn't come to terms on what to be done. You can't really blame them though. Disney paid tons of money for Marvel, and they want the brand soloy for themselves. Watxm ending, is a good indicater that Disney wants to bring the series over to their networks and start fresh for new viewers.

Disney shows survive on toys, and other style of merch. And based on how Watxm had little movement on toy shelves, it'll be much easier to convince stores to carry new merch based on a new show, then carry merch for a show that didn't work.

And we will mos def see a new X-men series. Disney XD has tons of space to fill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"