*RUMORED* Bad News For Wolverine And The X-men Season 2

Nah, it just means they need to start including him earlier ;)

Colossus is jinxed, I tell ya! Maybe it only works if our favorite Russian isn't on the team...

Anyone headed to SDCC this year who can corner some of these guys and find out what the future holds for the X Men heading towards our tv's anytime in the near future? The X Men have a huge fan base within the Marvel U so I can't believe that the execs will ignore that over a long period of time, especially with a slew of successful X films and at least 2 more in the pipeline. As someone pointed out before, they premiered on Nicktoons to huge ratings (for a cartoon). Even if the Marvel/Disney execs are only out to make $$$$, it doesn't make any sense to ignore that.
It's only a matter of time before they announce a new X-Men cartoon. The X-Men are too big a product to be benched for long. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't already brainstorming a new one.

It sucks that this show got cancelled after one season while Iron Man Armored Adventures continues to live on. TSSM was another that was a casualty. :( R.I.P. - TSSM and Wolverine and the X-Men.

Not much new there, Spider Jim, though it looks like Josh Fine is committed to finding a solution of some sort. But I also got the impression that Spiderman is much higher on their priority list than the X Men.

Can't believe they're canceling it so soon!

After being against the idea of the show because of the title and Wolverine once again being the focus of attention, i started to warm to it after seeing the trailers.Luckily the BBC broadcast it and it was there that i became hooked. I really liked the first season and was looking forward to the season 2 after the Age of Apocalypse storyline tease. So this news is disappointing for me.:(

The series took off in a number of big international markets but the rights were never picked up by any of the tv stations where i live nor has it (yet) been picked up for dvd distribution.
I hope we can get a sequel to the series in some form at some point. If not a second season like a DVD movie.
That would be nice.:up:

They've already completed some amount of design plus script work plus (i imagine) early animation as well.They should release that at least.
It's a shame money was a stumbling block.

I hope Fine means that the story can continue some way in the future.

This is a surprise but a even bigger surprise is they cancel The Spectacular Spider-man!. It was such a great show.

I hear they are launching a new show called Ultimate spider-man, I think that if they go with the Ultimate Universe would be a good idea; I like the idea of things being more simpler. Plus the 616 ideas have been done to death and something new is welcomed. If they launched Ultimate X-men as a new cartoon I wouldn't be mad.

Ultimate X-men was cancelled though and well I mean, they didn't finish the story? There was a lot more they could do.

We were going to see animated Deadpool and some Colossus!

and Magik! i was sooo excited about that!
...and Jubilee! :( (I think at least...)

This is all sad and everything but if what the quote below is saying is true... I would actually be pretty excited about what the future for marvel animations hold:

This is pretty ****** but it makes me wonder if Marvel is trying to reign in their animated stuff. Instead of farming out different projects all over the place and having different takes on popular characters maybe they plan to have a core universe on Disney XD much like the comics - Ultimate Spidey, Avengers, maybe a new X-men show? As ****** as it is to lose quality shows like Spectacular Spidey and Wolverine and the X-men maybe it will work out for the best and we'll get even better versions soon.
This gives me hope :D

It is bad news. I'll admit that losing SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN has effected me more, but I didn't want to lose WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN, too. I didn't think the show, as often as I criticized it, was so bad that it deserved to be canceled despite ratings success. While IRON MAN: ARMORED ADVENTURES lives? While BEN 10 reaches a 9th season? No way! It was still a Grade B, above average show that I was looking forward to seeing improve and possibly make me eat all my words.

I do agree with the idea that Colossus is cursed. Any show where he is in or set to be in the main cast dies. PRYDE OF THE X-MEN. And now this. In both X-MEN and X-MEN EVOLUTION, he either was a rare guest star or showed up after almost two seasons were in the can. I've said for years that X-MEN EVOLUTION was the show where Piotr should have been in the main cast from Season 1, and I continue to be proven right.

Given that Disney now owns Marvel, the cynic in me thinks the next X-Men show will feature a 1975 era "multi-national" cast just so the X-Men can sing along to, "IT'S A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL." :p

When Josh Fine claims there was "a failure to secure financing", part of me wonders if Marvel, Disney, or both at some point decided to choose between W&TXM Season 2 or AVENGERS: EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES, and chose the latter, because that is where the movie line is going. And while some might call that a frugal decision, it does suck. I suppose it is possible that the 8 episodes that had partly entered production could be ultimately made and sold as DVD's. But I do not think that is likely. That would make it very similar to what in anime is called an "OAV series", basically a series made for home video (Original Anime Video). While America is more than willing to make original animated films, of 70-85 minutes long, on home video, we usually are reluctant to simply make TV style episodes and release them on video, say, 3-4 episodes a pop. Even though a 70-85 minute movie is roughly as long as about 3 and a half TV episodes without commercials. And the question would remain that if such an impossible option did come up, could Fine & Company wrap up all they wanted to do in Season 2 in a mere 8 episodes? That would be roughly 2-3 hours of film time. I seriously doubt that is going to happen, especially since Disney seems to be beginning to throw their weight around. If anything, I think Marvel's whole deal with Lion's Gate will officially end with THOR: TALES OF ASGARD next year and Lion's Gate had the DVD rights to WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN.

I think Marvel/Disney will just have W&TXM die, be happy with the money they did make on it via ratings/toys/DVD sales, and then start all over again in a few years, perhaps when production on Fox's "X-MEN: FIRST CLASS" really gets going and a release date is on the horizon (with a cast, teaser, etc.). And then I wouldn't be stunned if said cartoon was similar to that, much as it was NO coincidence that an X-Men show led by Wolverine in the title would come out around the same time as "X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE". In Hollywood, they call this "synergy".

Hopefully Lionsgate will at least release all 26 episodes together on DVD.

Dread, I'm sure we all want to believe there was some underhanded conspiracy afoot to make ourselves feel better and to of course blame the big bad corporation.

However, we really don't know what the financing model was for the series. We do know the show went through delays. It took a while before it got sold and broadcast here in the US. It's weird because the indication seemed to be that the show was performing well in the US and especially well abroad.

Here's what my question is. What is the financing deal and why can't they secure financing? I imagine perhaps because of the way the series production was set up some time ago, maybe there is an agreement that keeps the show from getting financed or co-financed by another company. I dunno, I'm just speculating.

All this lame legal nonsense and mumbo jumbo that deprives me of my cartoons :( .

This is worse than when we lost MYP He-Man.

Perhaps they could do movie version of the animation ? With all of the X-men wearing black leather ?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=106130352762125

JUST FYI guys, above is the link to the Facebook fan page to save the show. Its now changed from 1,000 to 5,000 as the 1,000 goal has nearly been met.

It's probably useless at this point, but this will at least hopefully let people in charge know that we like the series and would like to see the story continue in some way in the future.

Hopefully Lionsgate will at least release all 26 episodes together on DVD.

Dread, I'm sure we all want to believe there was some underhanded conspiracy afoot to make ourselves feel better and to of course blame the big bad corporation.

However, we really don't know what the financing model was for the series. We do know the show went through delays. It took a while before it got sold and broadcast here in the US. It's weird because the indication seemed to be that the show was performing well in the US and especially well abroad.

Here's what my question is. What is the financing deal and why can't they secure financing? I imagine perhaps because of the way the series production was set up some time ago, maybe there is an agreement that keeps the show from getting financed or co-financed by another company. I dunno, I'm just speculating.

All this lame legal nonsense and mumbo jumbo that deprives me of my cartoons :( .

This is worse than when we lost MYP He-Man.

At least you got 39 episodes out of MYP HE-MAN. We only got 26 episodes of W&TXM. At this rate everyone would cheer if all of a sudden an extra 13 episodes were produced to make it to #39. Hell, I'm sure we'd all like to know what was in those 8 episodes that did supposedly begin production.

The whole "failed to secure financing" thing smells a little weird. What, did Josh Fine, professional producer, just forget to sign a form and submit it down a chute in time? Part of me thinks that Marvel and/or Disney decided that they could only finance so many cartoons at one time. IRON MAN: ARMORED ADVENTURES, AVENGERS: EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES and MARVEL SUPER HERO SQUAD were locked in. Disney wanted ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN. I would not be surprised if the powers that be decided that the X-Men on TV could use a rest, and prioritized.

Frankly, I think the next X-Men cartoon will likely be closer to whatever Fox's X-MEN: FIRST CLASS will become, assuming X-MEN: FIRST CLASS ever leaves pre-production. It's just in baby steps now. Much as WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN was partly modeled after X-MEN ORIGINS WOLVERINE, with Logan as the starring figure.

It is a shame. There was a lot of potential here and a damn fine cast assembled. I was looking forward to seeing where Season 2 went.

Me too.

It does seem somewhat suspect that the sole stumbling block for the continuance of popular Spider-Man and X-Men animated shows would just be finances alone. But then again, big movie franchises such as Bond and Lord Of The Rings (The Hobbit) are having difficulties because of an uncertain financial situation.:o

Jonathan Callan (a writer for Season 2) posted something on Brian Michael Bendis's message board forum.

Originally Posted by Brad N.
Jonathon Callan was going to be writing (or HAD written) some episodes for season 2. This is pretty ****** but it makes me wonder if Marvel is trying to reign in their animated stuff. Instead of farming out different projects all over the place and having different takes on popular characters maybe they plan to have a core universe on Disney XD much like the comics - Ultimate Spidey, Avengers, maybe a new X-men show? As ****** as it is to lose quality shows like Spectacular Spidey and Wolverine and the X-men maybe it will work out for the best and we'll get even better versions soon.

Jonathan Callan:
No, it's mostly just a financing issue. I'm with you guys. Totally disappointing, but these things happen.

A new X-Men show is almost a guarantee. A core universe? I doubt it. (I should be clear I say this with no insider knowledge. Just an understanding that every five years or so, you'll get an X-Men or Spider-Man cartoon.)
Source

Yeah the whole core universe is nothing but wishful speculation by fanboys that want to relive the glory days of the DCAU.

Without the details I know the financing reason sounds weird. But on the other hand with what I know and heard about the first season, it's also not as surprising and hard for me to believe.

I'm just unsure why they can't get another company or avenue of financing secured for what was supposedly a popular and hit TV series.

Just FYI, Drawn Together yeah I know, but it was canceled even though it got good ratings for Comedy Central mainly because the episodes were taking too long and expensive to produce overseas. They got a DVD movie made recently and it was done all in Flash for much cheaper.

Last edited:
Yeah the whole core universe is nothing but wishful speculation by fanboys that want to relive the glory days of the DCAU.

Without the details I know the financing reason sounds weird. But on the other hand with what I know and heard about the first season, it's also not as surprising and hard for me to believe.

I'm just unsure why they can't get another company or avenue of financing secured for what was supposedly a popular and hit TV series.

Just FYI, Drawn Together yeah I know, but it was canceled even though it got good ratings for Comedy Central mainly because the episodes were taking too long and expensive to produce overseas. They got a DVD movie made recently and it was done all in Flash for much cheaper.

I still think "not securing financing" is code for "they didn't want to pay for new episodes". Were there ways to work with NickToons for financing? Probably. But Marvel did not exercise the option. I still think this show was "sacrificed" for the time being because the X-Men don't have a film franchise boiling ahead full steam, which Marvel profits directly from, since they own everything. Even with Spider-Man, Marvel/Disney own the TV rights so long as they cut off the Sony show, which they did (sadly).

If Fox had allowed their license of the X-Men to lapse, would Marvel have been more gung ho about an X-Men show like this? Maybe. But Fox is not letting that happen. Disney will not likely allow Lion's Gate to continue with DVD printing much longer than what has been agreed to. I do think the end of W&TXM was an abrupt thing, like a decision was made in March or so that it would end, that Marvel/Disney would focus on Iron Man/Hero Squad/Avengers/Thor.

At the very least, Kyle & Yost had 26 episodes to do what they wanted with the X-Men and tell their own wild and wacky story, and throw conventions to the wind. I would have liked seeing Season 2, but it isn't to be. At the very least, I hope some of the voice talent is retained and allowed to reprise their roles when the next inevitable X-Men cartoon is out, in another 2-5 years. I mean wasn't Steve Blum branded "Wolverine for life" a year ago?

I must say... this is very disappointing news. I mean, I know this show wasn't perfect and often felt a little lackluster at times... but it was steadily improving.

I truly think their next batch of 26 episodes would have been something spectacular and much improved.

For what it's worth... Wolverine and the X-men was a fun show, that attempted to be accesible yet unique. I'll definitely miss it and what season 2 could have been.

Yeah, it is a shame. Especially since we know another X-Men cartoon is inevitable and will likely rehash a lot of familiar material. For better or worse W&TXM tried to avoid doing that. Perhaps to a fault, and perhaps not always succeeding, but they tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"