*RUMORED* Bad News For Wolverine And The X-men Season 2

I don't really blame Marvel on that. It's been clear for the last year that there were a lot of issues going on that would probably prevent Spectacular from returning.

From something deathshead2 mentioned, I'm guessing part of the motivation in letting the series goes was not wanting something they essentially own to be broadcast on another station.

Yeah, I think we will hear about a new X-Men series on DisneyXD within a month or so, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get a new Fantastic Four series as well. This would allow Disney to line up their four biggest titles on their network (Spider-Man, X-Men, Avengers, and Fantastic Four.)

Damn. What is up with them canceling everything?

What the hell is Marvel thinking lately?!

1. canceling Spectacular Spider-Man?

2. canceling Wolverine & the X-Men?

3. letting Whedon rewrite the scripts for both The Avengers and Captain America?

How can Marvel be this evil? Have they been infested by the Yeerks or something?

The Ultimate line itself is dead and irrelevant.

Is Ultimate Spider-man even around anymore?

Ultimate X-men got cancelled. Why would they even want to make a show around that series? Also, Evolution and WaTXM even took some cues from the Ultimate line, so I mean, if that's what this is I mean it was already done.

Chances are Marvel won't ever officially announce it being over or cancelled since that's what happened with Spectacular.

I'm so devastated I almost want to start writing fan fiction.

Whoa, whoa. Don't do anything drastic, now. :D

Disappointing as all these cancellations are, it might be the beginning of a good trend. It seems that Disney is starting to try and pull all of the Marvel characters back under their corporate umbrella. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a set of cartoons that can interact and team-up, when needed. This is potentially awesome for the future of cartoons with these characters.

Should we start hoping that they'll start hoarding movie rights too?

I dunno. They feasibly can't at this point.

I don't see any indication of some sort of Marvel animated universe. Those days are long over.

Disappointing as all these cancellations are, it might be the beginning of a good trend. It seems that Disney is starting to try and pull all of the Marvel characters back under their corporate umbrella.

An Ultimate Umbrella would not be a good trend IMO :csad:
Even more a Team-Up idea, I never liked it. Somehow some characters don't work well together. They are from a different universe even though marvel is always struggling to unite them in one.

After hearing the news about Spectacular Spider-Man yesterday I was still happy that at least one show will continue. And now THIS! :dry:

If we could just get that one more Season, I think this was the only time we were about to see The Age of Apocalypse on screen, and now that chance is gone. But no matter... I have totally lost my interest in this power-money hungry company that doesn't give a damn about it's previous work and about it's fanbase.

Yes, it is official. Marvel Animation Age is usually right on the money. Then again, so is Comics Continuum when it gets a rare scoop.

Clearly, this was a very sudden decision, since back at the start of the year, after PLANET HULK debuted on DVD, Josh Fine was still talking up the second season like it was happening. So whatever happened to kill W&TXM happened very recently. Like maybe March recently.

BTW, if Disney is so obsessed over getting all of Marvel animation under their umbrella and network, I imagine IRON MAN: ARMORED ADVENTURES (also on NickToons) and MARVEL SUPER HERO SQUAD (Cartoon Network) may be next on the chopping block. I would also imagine that the DTV's with Lion's Gate will not be renewed, and that THOR: TALES OF ASGARD next year will be the last, unless Disney is willing to have Marvel eat a loss on it, since it is already well into production.

The Ultimate line itself is dead and irrelevant.

Is Ultimate Spider-man even around anymore?

Ultimate X-men got cancelled. Why would they even want to make a show around that series? Also, Evolution and WaTXM even took some cues from the Ultimate line, so I mean, if that's what this is I mean it was already done.

Chances are Marvel won't ever officially announce it being over or cancelled since that's what happened with Spectacular.

I'm so devastated I almost want to start writing fan fiction.

Ultimate Spider-Man was relaunched last year as "Ultimate Comics Spider-Man", but it's sales continue to dwindle. It is the best selling ongoing series the Ultimate line has left, at least over the long haul. And even it barely sells in the Top 35 anymore. ASM vastly outsells it.

Ultimate X-Men was canceled, and some of their cast (Iceman & Shadowcat) have moved into the cast at USM full time. There also is ULTIMATE X, which is supposed to fill the gap left by Ultimate X-Men (since a lot of X-Men, like Wolverine and Cyclops, died in Ultimatum; Ultimate X stars Logan's blond son), but the sales have not been blockbuster. There is Ultimates 3 or 4, which is behind schedule, and Ultimates New Ultimates by Mark Millar and another artist, which debuted well, but is hardly at ULTIMATES 2 numbers. I agree, the Ultimate line is mostly irrelevant and is in a "zombie" phase right now. By that I mean there is no creative reason for it to continue, and it offers nothing to the reading public behind some ego vehicles for creators. However, they all sell far too well to outright cancel. The only Ultimate title that was canned and has not returned, besides ULTIMATE TEAM UP, was ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR, which had slipped to the Top 55-60 in sales (which, while bad for Ultimate, in terms of general comics was still well enough to have kept around if they wanted; I mean it wasn't Moon Knight, selling 19k an issue). I think Ultimate Mr. Fantastic was iced in Ultimatum, too. ULTIMATUM was an Ultimate event crossover meant to both "end" the universe and inspire new launches, but it was so bad a story that many readers did not return.

After 10 years, it really is time for Marvel to call it a day on Ultimate, but so long as some titles sell in the Top 45, and so long as some hot writers like Mark Millar, Brian Bendis and Jeph Loeb want to write for the imprint, it will survive. The Ultimate line did provide inspiration for some character designs for video games and cartoons; Toad in W&TXM looked exactly as Kubert designed him for Ultimate X-Men.

If you think about it, Disney pulled a cruel, creative coup with TSSM. They obviously outbid CW 4KIDS for the second season, hence why they aired it. But that also helped kill ratings, and put Disney in the perfect decision to kill it in favor of their own Spidey show. It is akin to rescuing a drowning man from sea, only to stab him as he climbs aboard your boat. WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN, though, by all purposes was a ratings success, so now this seems even more like Disney being a control freak. Clearly, Joe Quesada's statements in Jan. that Disney would let Marvel do their own thing is hogwash. If it isn't, then their execs are more erratic and impatient than ever.

X-MEN EVOLUTION, at 4 seasons and 52 episodes, sadly remains Marvel's most successful cartoon of the 21st century. And even that is denied proper DVD release by corporate shenanigans (although Marvel can apparently release it for free over the Internet). People may spit at the memory of Kid's WB as a network, but at least that network allowed Marvel their one TV success of the decade (as well as commissioned TSSM).

There really was no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater here. While I won't lie and say that WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN was a perfect, flawless show and that the debut season had fundamental flaws, MANY debut seasons could claim similar traits. It really does show, though, that TV cartoon writers cannot assume they will have another season. This is the SECOND time IN A ROW that the same X-Men show writers assumed they'd have another season to write Colossus, and the SECOND TIME IN A ROW they have been proven wrong. If, for the inevitable Disney owned X-Men show, the writers AGAIN shaft Colossus and go, "we'll wait until Season 2", I seriously will pull out hair from my scalp.

I'm gonna miss Nightcrawler, that magnificent bastard. :csad: And I never got to see Colossus kick any ass. :csad:

It's sad that we can't get a Spider-Man series to last long enough for a proper finale bringing everything to a close. :csad:

Sigh, all those conversations in the "What would you like to see in season 2" thread wasted... yet there is something weirdly funny about it. After all the hype that went into this show, how it was going to be the best X-Men series ever, yet it ended up being a flash in the pan, like a teen idol pretty boy actor being hailed as 'the next big thing' and then his career never goes anywhere for whatever reason.

Wouldn't surprise me if Disney throws together its own X-Men series though, just so they can say it's "theirs". Maybe next time we'll finally get Colossus as a regular member in all his underrated glory & finally see some Colossus/Kitty love. And maybe next time they'll have Cyclops with his current comic girlfriend Emma Frost.

Well, there goes all that hype--and my dreams. Well, in second best scenario: We get a brand new X-Men series--and maybe it'll actually be pretty cool? Hell, I wouldn't know and I wouldn't want to start speculating about it right now either. That's what we did with the second season, and look where it's gotten us. But somewhere inside, I suppose I would like to see a new, kickass X-Men series.

What the hell is Marvel thinking lately?!
3. letting Whedon rewrite the scripts for both The Avengers and Captain America?
You speak as though you knew what the original scripts were.

In any case, Whedon is a very accomplished script writer, having won multiple awards for his work. Not to mention Whedon is very familar with Marvel, compared to those no-name script writers we had before. Also, just having "Joss Whedon" in the credits is bound to attract an entire legion of Whedon-fans to the flock. It's certainly an alternative that has its merits.

Whedon's legion of fans does not translate to BO dollars though, see Serenity ;) .

Don't worry Dread. If that happens with Colossus again, I will pull your hair out your scalp for you ;) .

is any1 else getting the vibe that "they" want to end these series of cartoons because the films are getting "rebooted?" I'm not saying First Class is a reboot, but it seems like they want to cash in on new franchise that is coming and base a series off of it....

i think this series took TAS, the films, & Evo and did great!! in my opinion I think it did better than the films

This is all like one long bad dream. Now I have to worry about what'll happen to Iron Man: Armored Adventures, whose fate was identical to W:XM only four days ago. TSSM struggled in the ratings, sure, but WXM was the highest rated show that NickToons ever had. So quality of the series isn't a factor, and neither is the show's popularity. So...is EVERY extended media project not owned fully by Marvel/Disney in jeopardy?

I didn't even know the show was still on, how were the rating for it?

I think they were pretty good. Not that it matters one way or another now, though.

Which is too bad. I was *really* looking forward to finally seeing Colossus animated in more than a single episode, and not to mention Deadpool . . . .

why the heck would they cancel after one season? I thought it was doing well and was a pretty good series

Everyone seems pretty calm about this, but I am beyond pissed. :( I didn't really care about SSM's cancellation (I can understand why it was canceled), but Wolverine & the X-Men had a fantastic first season in my opinion, and I was really looking forward to the second season.

Everyone seems pretty calm about this, but I am beyond pissed. :( I didn't really care about SSM's cancellation (I can understand why it was canceled), but Wolverine & the X-Men had a fantastic first season in my opinion, and I was really looking forward to the second season.

Learn to appreciate X-men TAS cause it won't get any better than that. This is what happens when you screw up the whole basis of x-men. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

It's funny how most new X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman cartoons don't last long enough to pass the episode count of their 90's counterparts.

Nuts. This show had so much potential, and everything they'd talked about for Season 2 sounded great.

Crap, this is just cruel and unusual punishment for X-animation fans! Something is wrong in the world when these shows get cancelled and not Super Hero Squad Show!

I was sooooo looking forward to seeing AoA in animation! And please, PLEASE stay away from the Ultimate universe, Marvel/Disney-it wasn't good the first time around! (my apologies to those who did like Ultimate X Men).

This is one of the main Reason I never really get into American Comic book Cartoons.

They always give us HALF a product. They air a show for one season you start getting into and they decide to cancel it to make a Reboot thinking they'll get a batch of new kids to buy new Action figures and Movie tickets to the Live action movie when it comes out . They dont care about the fans they only care about money.

They had a Good spider-man Series and they dropped it for some new Reboot again for Disney XD and now they'll probably cancel X-men aswell.

This types of thing never happen in Japanese Anime and cartoons. Take Gundam for example. Like American Comics there's lots of different Stories , Arcs , Writters , drawers and everytime they deceide to pick one and make an anime out of it they do it to the end.

this makes me very sad.

Quesada confirmed this show is dead at the Marvel Animation panel yesterday:

Newsarama said:
Fan asks about Wolverine and the X-Men Season Two. They have "unfortunate news". They were unable to work out the financing for the show with their financing partner, and will not be moving forward.

Then:

Newsarama said:
They hope to work something out for X-Men to "bring something along that storytelling back to you."

Full link: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/c2e2-2010-marvel-animation-100417.html

This is the SECOND time IN A ROW that the same X-Men show writers assumed they'd have another season to write Colossus, and the SECOND TIME IN A ROW they have been proven wrong. If, for the inevitable Disney owned X-Men show, the writers AGAIN shaft Colossus and go, "we'll wait until Season 2", I seriously will pull out hair from my scalp.

Colossus is jinxed, I tell ya! Maybe it only works if our favorite Russian isn't on the team...

Anyone headed to SDCC this year who can corner some of these guys and find out what the future holds for the X Men heading towards our tv's anytime in the near future? The X Men have a huge fan base within the Marvel U so I can't believe that the execs will ignore that over a long period of time, especially with a slew of successful X films and at least 2 more in the pipeline. As someone pointed out before, they premiered on Nicktoons to huge ratings (for a cartoon). Even if the Marvel/Disney execs are only out to make $$$$, it doesn't make any sense to ignore that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"