Should they make another Punisher movie? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time will tell on this one. I think it's two things. 1. It is definitely a love letter to the fans of the Punisher. The movie may not have been a huge hit, but I think Jane was well received as Frank Castle. I truly would like to see him go full on Punisher. 2. I think it was a reach out to Marvel saying, I still can play this character and I want to play this character. I think with the reactions it's getting from fans Marvel would be stupid not to work with Tom Jane and everyone who worked on the movie short to not get something going.

A web series like MK: Legacy is a really cool idea.

I dont see why Marvel dont take a chance on this, for $25 million you can make a good Punisher movie, and if you get Jane back it'll show people its not like the last one but more like the one Jane starred in himself, which seemed quite popular.

Well 3 strikes and your out may apply here. The Punisher has had three chances and all fell flat. The problem was the three studios and two of the directors had little respect for the characters and an understanding of the character. I think Hensleigh tried, but needed more time and money to bring his vision to the screen. Listen to his commentary on the DVD and a lot of what he said was they didn't have time to do certain scenes.
Mark Goldblatt just wanted the typical 80's action movie. he said in an interview that he didn't want to put the skull shirt on because he didn't want it to look like a comic book movie.
Lexi Alexander just saw pretty colors in a comic book and puked out whatever she thought.

I'd agree with you but I doubt a whole lot of people outside of we nerd folk are actually aware that there was a punisher film in the 80's, since it is kind of obscure and pretty unrecognizable. was it even released to theaters?

I've never understood the hate some seem to have for Punisher 2004 being set in Tampa. Do you really want *every* Marvel movie to be set in New York City?

I get it, but a lot of people who complain don't realize that the Punisher traveled to Florida to take out the Costa family who took out Castle's family. I call them the Ennis Punisher fans. All they ever read was Ennis' take on it and never bothered to real the old stuff by Dixon, Potts, Grant and Baron.

@Kable: ive always loved the Punisher from a visual and thematic standpoint when i first saw him as a kid and ive read most of the MK series and all of the MAX series. not that i finally have a stable job situation i want to pick up the essential Punisher stories/comics and start reading the new 616 run that i hear is pretty damn good. any suggestions on what to pick up?

I've never understood the hate some seem to have for Punisher 2004 being set in Tampa. Do you really want *every* Marvel movie to be set in New York City?

Every Marvel movie? No. But the Punisher should definitely be set in a city with some grit to it. And Tampa's a stale cardboard city.

personally i have no problem with the punisher in florida... what i did have a problem with was the punisher's ORIGIN being set in florida.

One million views. Not bad.

personally i have no problem with the punisher in florida... what i did have a problem with was the punisher's ORIGIN being set in florida.

Again, why? What about the Punisher requires that his family *has* to be killed in NYC?

Again, why? What about the Punisher requires that his family *has* to be killed in NYC?

It's essential to his character in the sense of the irony of it. With all the X-Men, Avengers, and other superheroes flying around blowing stuff up and causing huge property damage they couldn't notice a few gunshots in Central Park? Frank is taking care of the average joe who falls through the cracks.

It's the irony of it, because really Frank is truly the only "hero" in the marvel u. "Oh, the evil super nazi "The Red Skull" has that god box known as the cosmic cube again! Whatever shall we do?". Shoot him in the damn head so he can't do that **** again lol.

It's his origin, you wouldn't skimp on and change how the other marvel u characters became who they are so why should Frank be any different? Iconic characters have iconic stomping grounds and when it's changed some times that results in Jason deciding to head to space or new york (as if those movies needed to get worse) or Godzilla leaving Japan to come to the U.S. to fight Matthew Broderick. That's like asking why does Batman's story has to be set in Gotham.

But I see where you're coming from as this is something that could have happened any where. It could have happened in chicago at either Grant, Lincoln, or Millennium park. But home is where the war is and Frank was born and raised in the city that never sleeps. Frankly (no pun intended) it's not uncommon to turn on the news and see a returning soldier getting more injured or killed in their own hometown than over seas. The Punisher touches on that issue and I don't know why that isn't played up enough! As stated earlier, it's essential to his character.

Last edited:
I don't know if I'd say that NYC is a necessity for Frank's character, but NYC itself is almost its own character no matter what story it's used in. It has grit, it has presence, it has a soul of its own. It's an interesting locale both visually and beyond.

Tampa, on the other hand...has palm trees? :o

I don't see it at all about irony. Just that the city has its own character which compliments Frank Castle. And moreover, back when he was created it was well-known for its crime rate. Does Tampa have a reputation of being a crime-ridden city?

@Kable: ive always loved the Punisher from a visual and thematic standpoint when i first saw him as a kid and ive read most of the MK series and all of the MAX series. not that i finally have a stable job situation i want to pick up the essential Punisher stories/comics and start reading the new 616 run that i hear is pretty damn good. any suggestions on what to pick up?

Some of my early favorites were
Circle of Blood
Return to Big Nothing
Punisher War Journal issues 1-10 for sure
The early Punisher series when Whilce Portacio was doing the art. He did some great stuff then.

I'm sure a lot of his stuff is in the 50 cent to $1.00 bins in comic book stores.

I have watched this film a few times over the last few days...makes me realize how much I'm Jonesing for some good Frank Castle.
I really hope something comes of this...like a TV show
...And give Daredevil one while you at it DAMN IT!

If Jane got to play the Punisher again, would Marvel Studios remake Punisher 2004 to make it a more faithful origin story or would they acknowledge the movie and make a sequel instead (as was originally planned with Hulk before they went with a reboot)?

It's essential to his character in the sense of the irony of it. With all the X-Men, Avengers, and other superheroes flying around blowing stuff up and causing huge property damage they couldn't notice a few gunshots in Central Park? Frank is taking care of the average joe who falls through the cracks

This only really matters if the other heroes are mentioned, though. For all we know he's the only vigilante/hero in his universe.

If Jane got to play the Punisher again, would Marvel Studios remake Punisher 2004 to make it a more faithful origin story or would they acknowledge the movie and make a sequel instead (as was originally planned with Hulk before they went with a reboot)?

I would entirely favor going straight for a sequel. But then, I'm one of those strange people who loved the 2004 movie, and thinks its origin was entirely faithful to the *spirit* of the character, which is most important.

it's a part of his origin and the fact that it happened in such a public place like central park in broad daylight is iconic and symbolic of the type of random and mindless crime that frank is fighting.

furthermore... the 04 punisher made things even worse by making the death of the castle family a simple mob revenge hit. on the contrary, it was a random act of violence that took frank's family and that was a huge part of what led him to become the punisher.

No, I think the biggest part that lead him to become the Punisher was the fact that the police did nothing to give him justice.

I don't know if I'd say that NYC is a necessity for Frank's character, but NYC itself is almost its own character no matter what story it's used in. It has grit, it has presence, it has a soul of its own. It's an interesting locale both visually and beyond.

Tampa, on the other hand...has palm trees? :o

Tampa wasn't a bad place to shoot, they just didn't use enough dark and industrial areas.

I don't think that they need to make it a sequel that refers to his origins. If they mentioned his family had been killed by the mob and there was no justice and started the movie with something along the lines of the new 10 minute short, I think everyone would understand what he was/

I think it could be both sequel and standalone at the same time, just like #dirtylaundry.

its probably my Miami bias but i think a Punisher film here would be awesome :o

its probably my Miami bias but i think a Punisher film here would be awesome :o

I always thought the same about him coming to Hershey. That friggin' Hershey Kiss character at Hershey Park has been asking for it for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"