Venom Sony Revives 'Venom' Solo Movie - Part 4

Should we be getting Twitter reactions for this or something?

Tom Hardy presenting Venom in Moscow:

Ahh man the guy is so passionate and seems to really care. Can you imagine how epic his version of Wolverine would have been with this level of consideration and attention to detail?

Wow, i just joined the forum to talk about the movie 'cause i'm genuinely excited about it... but i guess this ain't the place.

Lollll. Welcome to the SHH Venom forums. Consider yourself extremely lucky you're only just getting here now, because this (what you quoted) has been going on non-stop for months.. and as someone else who is genuinely excited about this movie myself, it's been a really great time /s

But they're just 'expressing their opinions' so we're not allowed to call them out, or even really have our own discussions as people who want to actually discuss this movie -- which is the entire purpose for the existence of these forums -- because they just shovel in those responses until the topic dies

Anyway, welcome!

New TV spot with some new venom shots:

I don't care what anyone says, call me a pathetic blind fanboy if you want, but that was a F***ING AWESOME tv spot. Holy hell. For a 30 second spot, that was insane

I can believe how good the texture of the symbiote looks.

I know right!?? I genuinely never thought venom would/could look anywhere this good in live action.. They freakin knocked it out of the park :up: :up:

Last edited:
And that makes you angry why?

Seriously dude, take a look at your comments, you say they are "opinions", but they look more like pure hatred for the character and the movie. Why do you keep posting here if you are obviously not interested in the movie and apparently dont care much about the character?

Dude, don't even bother trying with some of them. I've been around here a long time, and see the same thing from the same people for years, had circular arguments, and it never helps.. So it sucks, but you basically have to ignore it, or like me, stop coming here as much.

I love the character, which is why I post here. I have tons of Venom figures and stuff. He does look really cool. He is about as great of a foe as Rhino or Electro to me. But I just do not think he is this ultra super mega Spidey baddie that a lot of people king him as.

I am allowed to be irked at Sony ruining something that doesn't even need to exist, I am allowed to post my distaste for them obviously making a movie for nothing but money. Sorry, but forums are not meant to be filled with people who ONLY have good things to say about a movie. I am not attacking anyone or calling anyone any names. I'll say it again, you don't want negative opinions? Go to the "positivity" thread.

I totally get this. But guess what, I'm a giant, diehard Spider-man fan, but I didn't like anything I was seeing about HC, had no interest for it, and was actively against most of the things I was hearing. So, after about a decade of obsessively frequenting these SHH forums for every new Spidey movie, I completely stopped coming here in the year(s) leading up to Homecoming's release. Because I didn't like it and didn't have anything positive to say about it. It sucked, and I missed it, but why would I spend months and months constantly going in here and saying "how stupid this/that character is" or "that's the worst movie poster I've ever seen" and just crap on the people who were excited? It's a lame thing to do. If you want to discuss, or express actual negative opinions, that's fine. But you're not open to anyone who has a different opinion, or actually likes any of this. Visiting something you know you hate, and know you'll never feel any other way about, then continually coming here and shoveling in pure malevolence and vitriol and bile about everything you see isn't 'expressing your opinion' anymore.

There's nothing wrong with saying "this or that looks bad/wrong/lame to you" or "that was a bad trailer" etc. But for the most part it's not an opinion with you guys, because you aren't open to or willing to acknowledge or legitimize people with other opinions. Some of you guys aren't willing to have a discussion about these things. To you it sucks, it's a fact that it sucks, and there's no room for discussion/debate about it. THAT'S the problem.

I'm genuinely sorry that you're a huge Venom fan and this is seemingly going to dramatically let you know. I honestly feel bad, I know that feeling, and it sucks. But it doesn't mean you have to come in here still and bash it relentlessly and and essentially disparage people who still thinks it looks good. You don't have to, you choose to. Knowing you're only going to say something negative...

Last edited:
I don't care what anyone says, call me a pathetic blind fanboy if you want, but that was a F***ING AWESOME tv spot. Holy hell. For a 30 second spot, that was insane

I know right!?? I genuinely never thought venom would/could look anywhere this good in live action.. They freakin knocked it out of the park :up: :up:
I guess this is the part I don’t quite understand. I’m all for being positive, and if you like the plot details and such about the film I understand that as well. And while I don’t think Venom looks nearly as bad as some are saying (in some shots he looks quite good), I do think that at times the CGI is clearly not the best. And comparing this film to others that feature heavy CGI creatures, even other films that have lower budgets (like, say, the Apes films), I think it’s fairly clear this CGI could have been better.

The texture doesn’t really help the rendering. The overly shiny look they decided to go for doesn’t read realistically in the light. It’s why the darker scenes tend to look better I think.

So while I completely understand your guys desire to not just bash the film, I also would say that I don’t really see how someone could say they can’t imagine Venom being displayed better, because I think it’s pretty clear he could.

That said, I think the story content is far more important than the CGI quality. Black Panther was a damn good movie, with some very poor cgi models by modern standards, but audiences forgave this because the story was good. If this film ends up being good, nobody will care if the cgi in this isn’t amazing.

Wish this didn't have the writing on the screen, but again, holy ****. Another freakin awesome tv spot :up: :up: And even a slight differences in line delivery.

I was already excited before these new tv spots, but these have me even more hyped and optimistic than I expected

:sym:

Wish this didn't have the writing on the screen, but again, holy ****. Another freakin awesome tv spot :up: :up: And even a slight differences in line delivery.

I was already excited before these new tv spots, but these have me even more hyped and optimistic than I expected

:sym:

I guess this is the part I don’t quite understand. I’m all for being positive, and if you like the plot details and such about the film I understand that as well. And while I don’t think Venom looks nearly as bad as some are saying (in some shots he looks quite good), I do think that at times the CGI is clearly not the best. And comparing this film to others that feature heavy CGI creatures, even other films that have lower budgets (like, say, the Apes films), I think it’s fairly clear this CGI could have been better.

The texture doesn’t really help the rendering. The overly shiny look they decided to go for doesn’t read realistically in the light. It’s why the darker scenes tend to look better I think.

So while I completely understand your guys desire to not just bash the film, I also would say that I don’t really see how someone could say they can’t imagine Venom being displayed better, because I think it’s pretty clear he could.

That said, I think the story content is far more important than the CGI quality. Black Panther was a damn good movie, with some very poor cgi models by modern standards, but audiences forgave this because the story was good. If this film ends up being good, nobody will care if the cgi in this isn’t amazing.

I guess it's more that I'm surprised/impressed with how real he looks to me. Like he's actually there, not just superimposed or something. I guess I see where you think it's dodgy in places, but I'm personally fine with and prefer the slick texture. And again, it just always looks like he's there, and present in the scene, if that makes sense. I thought the CGI for it could have easily ended up way worse, like where you look at a scene and think 'that's clearly a fake creature/not there, it's obviously CG.'

I guess I understand that it could always be better, especially when compared to PotA, but this genuinely does look great to me. Maybe I had low expectations tho lol

Only thing wrong with tvspot is I wish that was carnage. Fight looks awesome.

I guess it's more that I'm surprised/impressed with how real he looks to me. Like he's actually there, not just superimposed or something. I guess I see where you think it's dodgy in places, but I'm personally fine with and prefer the slick texture. And again, it just always looks like he's there, and present in the scene, if that makes sense. I thought the CGI for it could have easily ended up way worse, like where you look at a scene and think 'that's clearly a fake creature/not there, it's obviously CG.'

I guess I understand that it could always be better, especially when compared to PotA, but this genuinely does look great to me. Maybe I had low expectations tho lol
It definitely could look worse. I agree, there are sequences where he does feel very present in the scene. And overall, as I’ve said, his look is by far the least of my worries with this film. He looks like Venom, and while I would have liked a more polished cgi model, if the story is good I won’t care. The cgi is good enough for me to forgive some spotty scenes. And the fact that the symbiote is an alien creature gives you an element of leeway if he doesn’t look fully real. It’s honestly just Sony that I don’t trust. They haven’t made a film I’ve enjoyed in a long while, and I don’t trust them with the Spidey universe at this point. I hope I’m wrong.

Dude, don't even bother trying with some of them. I've been around here a long time, and see the same thing from the same people for years, had circular arguments, and it never helps.. So it sucks, but you basically have to ignore it, or like me, stop coming here as much.

I totally get this. But guess what, I'm a giant, diehard Spider-man fan, but I didn't like anything I was seeing about HC, had no interest for it, and was actively against most of the things I was hearing. So, after about a decade of obsessively frequenting these SHH forums for every new Spidey movie, I completely stopped coming here in the year(s) leading up to Homecoming's release. Because I didn't like it and didn't have anything positive to say about it. It sucked, and I missed it, but why would I spend months and months constantly going in here and saying "how stupid this/that character is" or "that's the worst movie poster I've ever seen" and just crap on the people who were excited? It's a lame thing to do. If you want to discuss, or express actual negative opinions, that's fine. But you're not open to anyone who has a different opinion, or actually likes any of this. Visiting something you know you hate, and know you'll never feel any other way about, then continually coming here and shoveling in pure malevolence and vitriol and bile about everything you see isn't 'expressing your opinion' anymore.

There's nothing wrong with saying "this or that looks bad/wrong/lame to you" or "that was a bad trailer" etc. But for the most part it's not an opinion with you guys, because you aren't open to or willing to acknowledge or legitimize people with other opinions. Some of you guys aren't willing to have a discussion about these things. To you it sucks, it's a fact that it sucks, and there's no room for discussion/debate about it. THAT'S the problem.

I'm genuinely sorry that you're a huge Venom fan and this is seemingly going to dramatically let you know. I honestly feel bad, I know that feeling, and it sucks. But it doesn't mean you have to come in here still and bash it relentlessly and and essentially disparage people who still thinks it looks good. You don't have to, you choose to. Knowing you're only going to say something negative...

Just ignore them then. Post in s hype thread. Sony destroyed everyone’s trust in the franchise so if they are iffy about the movie they can express it. I know your really hyped . I get that but stop getting so upset when people don’t like the design or the way the movie looks. If you like it then nothing should stop you from
Enjoying it. It’s not nonstop hating. It’s just a couple of dislikes here and there.

Just ignore them then. Post in s hype thread. Sony destroyed everyone’s trust in the franchise so if they are iffy about the movie they can express it. I know your really hyped . I get that but stop getting so upset when people don’t like the design or the way the movie looks. If you like it then nothing should stop you from
Enjoying it. It’s not nonstop hating. It’s just a couple of dislikes here and there.

I like Venom, but he is not the greatest Spider-Man villain ever. He is not that deep. He is cool for fights, he looks great, he is fun. But he is no Green Goblin.

He certainly does not need a movie and this version looks atrocious. If you're tired of seeing it, too bad. Go to that Venom positivity thread if you don't want to live in reality. We are allowed to post opinions.

I like Venom when he is closely tied to Spider-Man. The idea that Eddie Brock bonds with the symbiote and knows EVERYTHING about Peter Parker and cannot trigger his spider sense is actually frightening. In my opinion, the best streamlined version of this was done in the 90's animated series in just three 20 minute episodes.

But once Venom loses his connection to Peter Parker, I lose all interest. And this entire movie is completely pointless. He should be a villain in a Spider-Man movie, not the star of his own movie not connected to Spider-Man.

I like Venom when he is closely tied to Spider-Man. The idea that Eddie Brock bonds with the symbiote and knows EVERYTHING about Peter Parker and cannot trigger his spider sense is actually frightening. In my opinion, the best streamlined version of this was done in the 90's animated series in just three 20 minute episodes.

But once Venom loses his connection to Peter Parker, I lose all interest. And this entire movie is completely pointless. He should be a villain in a Spider-Man movie, not the star of his own movie not connected to Spider-Man.

Ok, you say you dont like Venom when he's not connected to Spider-man and that's ok. But just 'cause you dont like Venom on his own doesn't mean this movie is completely pointless and he shouldnt get his own movie. I mean, it could be pointless to you, but not to other ppl like myself who enjoy the character not only when he's appearing in a spiderman comic. Venom's been doing his own thing for a while now..

New clip..

Tom Hardy's accent still sounds a little weird to me, but much much better than i expected after watching the trailers.

Ok, you say you dont like Venom when he's not connected to Spider-man and that's ok. But just 'cause you dont like Venom on his own doesn't mean this movie is completely pointless and he shouldnt get his own movie. I mean, it could be pointless to you, but not to other ppl like myself who enjoy the character not only when he's appearing in a spiderman comic. Venom's been doing his own thing for a while now..

The Venom we see in the comics now, while having his own adventures, still ties back to his origin with Spider-Man. If you are a really big Venom fan, you would probably understand how important Peter Parker is to the character. Once you take that out, he is just Venom in name and appearance. It's like making a Spider-Man origin film without the death of Uncle Ben.

Sony is making this movie for an extra quick buck. They are scraping the bottom of the barrel and squeezing everything they can out of the one superhero they have the film rights to. Even if the film turns out to be decent or good in its own right, there will always be something missing from it.

I understand the hype from some posters in this thread, but you all have to realize - this is a Sony Pictures superhero movie at the end of the day. The studio that produced the clunky turds that were the Amazing Spider-Man films. Temper your expectations a notch or two and I'm sure you can enjoy a bit of it, but Sony set the review embargo so close to the release date for a reason.

My expectations are extremely low for this film. Sony was best when they gave Sam Raimi his create control for Spider-Man 1 and 2. Spider-Man 3 and both Amazing Spider-Man movies were awful. Sony gave the creative control to Marvel Studios for Spider-Man: Homecoming, and it really shows!

We have 3 bad movies that were Sony made and history tends to repeat itself. I don't see how we can expect this film to be amazing (unless you really liked the TASM movies).

I agree with the above sentiments. Would I prefer Eddie be introduced in Spider-man films and built up to? Of course. If I were in charge, I would basically take what SSM did and execute that over a few movies. (Sans the constant use of “bro”).

That said, separating Venom from Spider-Man doesn’t instantly concern me, because it’s not like the character had an amazing comic origin. The 90s toon introduced all the aspects that we now view as essential to the symbiote origin, and both the 90s toon and SSM massively improved and fleshed out Brock as a character. Venom’s comic origin was honestly...pretty dumb. So there’s nothing to say that you couldn’t do an origin with him completely disconnected from Spider-Man and have it turn out to be a more interesting take.

That said, I simply do not trust the people behind the creative team at Sony. I don’t trust them to take the time to craft a well done story, and I don’t trust them to not view the Spidey characters they have purely as dollar signs. The way they’ve handled things, including their fervor to announce stand alone films for every Spidey character under the sun, reeks of desperate “we need to cash in on this now” mentality. And that doesn’t typically lead to good creative endeavors.

New clip..

Tom Hardy's accent still sounds a little weird to me, but much much better than i expected after watching the trailers.

The dialogue and everything still just seems kind of ham-handed.

"The guy that you work for is an evil person"

Also how bluntly Eddie just segues into accusing Drake of killing people, and how bluntly Drake threatens Eddie, presumably still on camera.

It just all feels on-the-nose.

And yea, Hardy's accent sounds kind of garbled. He's done American accents before that sounded better than this.

My expectations are extremely low for this film. Sony was best when they gave Sam Raimi his create control for Spider-Man 1 and 2. Spider-Man 3 and both Amazing Spider-Man movies were awful. Sony gave the creative control to Marvel Studios for Spider-Man: Homecoming, and it really shows!

We have 3 bad movies that were Sony made and history tends to repeat itself. I don't see how we can expect this film to be amazing (unless you really liked the TASM movies).

They were all Sony made. SM3 was also Raimi made just like SM1 and SM2. there is no pattern that can be blamed on one individual depending on when something is good or bad.

They were all Sony made. SM3 was also Raimi made just like SM1 and SM2. there is no pattern that can be blamed on one individual depending on when something is good or bad.

They were all made under Sony, yes. But it is quite clear which ones had heavier studio influences over the other, ESPECIALLY the Amazing Spider-Man movies. If you are familiar with Marvel Studios then you can see their fingerprint on Homecoming, not Sony.

This Venom movie has the Sony fingerprint all over it. So far it feels like a hollow cash grab. Of course it could end up being good, but I highly doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"