SpeedBall? Damn!

I forget which title it is going to be in, but one of the New Warriors did survive. It is also mentioned that the New Warrior that did survive is going to wish he were dead after what the public is going to do to him.

My guess would be Speedball, I don't know if anyone else would be able to survive that blast.

Namorita is definitly dead, and I can't wait to see how Namor reacts.

Darthphere said:
Ha-ha, its like the Hawkeye argument all over again, nobody gave a damn about so and so until he died.

The difference is that Hawkeye died in a very stupid manner and shouldn't have died in the first place. All he had to do was unstrap his quiver. Maybe he did deserve to die because of such stupidity.

Unlike Hawkeye, Speedball did deserve to die. They attacked a group of villains they knew that they couldn't handle and over 800 people died just for ratings.

It seemed to me like they were handling them just fine. All Namorita needed to do was knock Nitro out (which was completely possible) before he blew up the neighborhood.

hippie_hunter said:
Unlike Hawkeye, Speedball did deserve to die. They attacked a group of villains they knew that they couldn't handle and over 800 people died just for ratings.

That would be like saying that all of the Titans that died in IC deserved to die because they took on a enemy that vastly outclassed them. and they stupidly rushed him. If heroes deserve to die for their mistakes we would be VERY short on heroes.

Without sarcasm I can say that I'm glad that Marvel wrote the New Warriors downfall so effectively that people are convinced by it. I hate what happened, but I'm glad that Marvel is getting back on track.

Why the Warriors? Why not the Slingers? Or the Young Avengers or even the Runaways? Simple, this version of the New Warriors fit perfectly into what would exarcebate the situation. Not only were they heroes that Marvel (possibly) considered disposable but still had some fan following to cause some kind of impact, they also had the media (tv) angle that would broadcast their mistake. Runaways/Young Avengers are making money for Marvel so they're not going to get rid of them although it would be more believable that it would've happened to them.

Why didn't Night Thrasher, who's a control freak, stop Speedball? The only characterization he was given was that he was offended by being called a dominatrix.:rolleyes: The attack went off perfectly and Nitro was the only "bungle". Like I said before, Nitro's explosion could have been of a lesser degree like other times when he has fought other heroes in populated areas. This was a setup and they were the scapegoats, simple as that. Personally, I see it as a disservice to the characters but I'm also aware that the New Warriors were very much a product of their time and this generation has their own New Warriors (Runaways/Young Avengers).

The New Warriors made a mistake. It happens. They thought they could become famous big time heroes by publicly taking down some super villains that were in hiding.

They messed up bad, but this isn't the first time they were in over their heads.

In the New Warriors first appearence they teamed up with Thor against the Juggernaut. With the help of the thunder god they were able to subdue the unstoppable one long enough to teleport him away.

The New Warriors didn't stand a chance on their own. They were always a third tier super team, and their end in Civil War was the greatest compliment they could have gotten.

Purple Man said:
The New Warriors made a mistake. It happens. They thought they could become famous big time heroes by publicly taking down some super villains that were in hiding.

They messed up bad, but this isn't the first time they were in over their heads.

In the New Warriors first appearence they teamed up with Thor against the Juggernaut. With the help of the thunder god they were able to subdue the unstoppable one long enough to teleport him away.

The New Warriors didn't stand a chance on their own. They were always a third tier super team, and their end in Civil War was the greatest compliment they could have gotten.

I kinda agree.

Although I always liked Speedball and Night Thrasher.

Purple Man said:
Did you ever read the first New Warriors series? They grew past being third tier, same as any team would when they'd been at it for as long as the Warriors had.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Did you ever read the first New Warriors series? They grew past being third tier, same as any team would when they'd been at it for as long as the Warriors had.

I beg to differ, they have always been third-string at best. Even Luke Cage is more popular than they are.

The only reason we are talking about New Warriors is cause of Civil War.

about damn time, I put this guy in the same catergory as Superman and Batman "overrated and useless"

Slim31 said:
about damn time, I put this guy in the same catergory as Superman and Batman "overrated and useless"

What???

:confused:

Who?

Tropico said:
The current Marvel Universe "guide" at Marvel.Com is dependant upon the people who write. The power description is wrong (I know it HAS changed because I've gone in and looked at it a couple of times) as in: incomplete and with errors. Here...

After a E-M blast from Siena Blaze...

Speedball5.jpg

Everyone can speculate at this moment who MIGHT be dead but I think there's some wiggle room as to who might be the survivor (Speedball).

To be fair the only reason that blast did any damage to him at all was due to the fact that he spread his whole field out to cover several members of the New Warriors and X-Force thus saving them all from Siena Blaze attack including cannonball, warpath and I believe shatterstar she is shocked that any survived she said "no-one short of the Hulk could have survived that" Then she notices what Speedball did and admitted she had him written off as a "Bouncing Buffoon" and she should not have underestimated him like that. It was a very cool piece of work from old speedball and one of the things that made me a big fan of his. There is no way he is dead.

Darthphere said:
Ha-ha, its like the Hawkeye argument all over again, nobody gave a damn about so and so until he died.

Like hell.

:mad:

I gave a damn the minute it was even frickin speculated.

Gambit8370 said:
Like hell.

:mad:

I gave a damn the minute it was even frickin speculated.

Same thing, you started caring once you knew they were probably gonna die.:(

deemar325 said:
I beg to differ, they have always been third-string at best. Even Luke Cage is more popular than they are.

The only reason we are talking about New Warriors is cause of Civil War.

If they had been third string they wouldn't have had as many crossovers with the other "hot" properties in the 90's. It also wouldn't have enabled 3 characters from the group to have their own comics. 2 of the members "graduated" to full Avenger status (New Warriors was supposed to be the first Young Avengers).
The Warriors have been seen consistently in every big crossover (even if only in the background, at least their presence is felt). Why is Cage more popular, because he's one of Bendis' babies and has a "steady gig" now? Please! He's brought back 2 characters that had all but fallen into obscurity.

I'm really curious as to Corp's question...DID you ever read New Warriors Vol.1? I can understand how some characters SEEM low tiered, I can tell you of characters that seem lowered tiered to me than they really are because they hold no interest to me.

Not to sound rude, but why did the New Warriors have so many crossovers? Because they needed more fans.

New Warriors has always been a motley crew. I give them credit for being around as long as they have, but in the grand scheme of things they will be forgotten.

You won't hear a conversation start with "Remember that time that the New Warriors.." unless they are talking about Civil War.

With successful teams like the Runaways and Young Avengers, there was no longer any room nor a point for the NW. This is the send off they deserve. Nothing really memorable besides the whole "reality tv heroes" has been done with these characters in quite some time.

I will bet dollars to donuts that Speedball is the surviver. They'll find him many miles away from the explosion. Our favorite bouncing super hero won't have anything to laugh about when the public gets ahold of him. Can you lynch a Speedball?

And for the record: I liked the New Warriors. Speedball is awesome. Firestar and Namorita were pretty cool, also Nighthrasher and Marvel Boy weren't bad either.

Today's Young Justice/Runaways are tomorrow's New Warriors. Truth is, the Warriors were killed the moment the mini came into publication. Civil War is just putting them out of their misery. I don't share the other views that they deserve the shaft they got in CW (nobody does), but that's a matter of opinion.

It's simple. They outlived their usefulness. They are no longer cutting edge, and hip.

The same will happen to the Young Avengers amd the Runaways when they grow up. The ones that can't be turned into legitimate adult heroes will be killed off.

Purple Man said:
Did you even read the issue? They defeated everyone fairly easily and if Namorita had just knocked Nitro unconcious (which was well within her capabilities) they would have won the day. Easily at that.

Tropico said:
That would be like saying that all of the Titans that died in IC deserved to die because they took on a enemy that vastly outclassed them. and they stupidly rushed him. If heroes deserve to die for their mistakes we would be VERY short on heroes.

Without sarcasm I can say that I'm glad that Marvel wrote the New Warriors downfall so effectively that people are convinced by it. I hate what happened, but I'm glad that Marvel is getting back on track.

Why the Warriors? Why not the Slingers? Or the Young Avengers or even the Runaways? Simple, this version of the New Warriors fit perfectly into what would exarcebate the situation. Not only were they heroes that Marvel (possibly) considered disposable but still had some fan following to cause some kind of impact, they also had the media (tv) angle that would broadcast their mistake. Runaways/Young Avengers are making money for Marvel so they're not going to get rid of them although it would be more believable that it would've happened to them.

Why didn't Night Thrasher, who's a control freak, stop Speedball? The only characterization he was given was that he was offended by being called a dominatrix.:rolleyes: The attack went off perfectly and Nitro was the only "bungle". Like I said before, Nitro's explosion could have been of a lesser degree like other times when he has fought other heroes in populated areas. This was a setup and they were the scapegoats, simple as that. Personally, I see it as a disservice to the characters but I'm also aware that the New Warriors were very much a product of their time and this generation has their own New Warriors (Runaways/Young Avengers).

But the Titans were heroically fighting to save the world. The New Warriors were fighting for ratings.

That whole story was really out of character for Night Thrasher.

Tropico said:
Today's Young Justice/Runaways are tomorrow's New Warriors. Truth is, the Warriors were killed the moment the mini came into publication. Civil War is just putting them out of their misery. I don't share the other views that they deserve the shaft they got in CW (nobody does), but that's a matter of opinion.
I think that's the heart of it right there. The Warriors ceased being the Warriors when they were cheapened by being turned into self-serving jerkwads who only fight crime for ratings. As if Skottie Young's art weren't enough of a reason to hate that mini...

Darthphere said:
Same thing, you started caring once you knew they were probably gonna die.:(

That's hardly fair

what are we supposed to do? Email Marvel evey week about every character we like just in case they are thinking about killing them off.

I'm not buying this argument

Hawkeye has fans a plenty and his death is a travesty

Purple Man said:
It's simple. They outlived their usefulness. They are no longer cutting edge, and hip.

The same will happen to the Young Avengers amd the Runaways when they grow up. The ones that can't be turned into legitimate adult heroes will be killed off.

Exactly

TheCorpulent1 said:
I think that's the heart of it right there. The Warriors ceased being the Warriors when they were cheapened by being turned into self-serving jerkwads who only fight crime for ratings. As if Skottie Young's art weren't enough of a reason to hate that mini...

When the New Warriors weren't selling anymore they had to try something new.

They did a reverse Spider-Man. They tried to be legitimate super heroes, but that didn't pan out like they hoped so they used their abilities to be tv stars and make a quick buck. It's not a stupid idea. If there were so many people running around with super powers, someone was going to use their gifts for television. Spider-Man did it, and the New Warriors did it.

They made the mistake of hunting down super powered criminals infront of a television camera. They were more worried about the spectacle than actually doing good for the world. I know a lot of people are feeling let down that their beloved Warriors acted in such a wreckless fashion. But to that I say: Deal with it. It might not have been right, but it was human.

There's a difference between "such and such would never do something like that." and "Such and such made a mistake because they are only human beneath the spandex and super powers." Ask yourself how well you know the particular hero before you decide which one you should be saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"