SpeedBall? Damn!

ShadowBoxing said:
That whole story was really out of character for Night Thrasher.

Totally agree, Night Thrasher would not have let this happen. bad place none of them should have, havent they been at this for a decade now?

And that's really why they were killed off, like Purple Man said, they've been at it for a decade and didnt make it to big time super hero team.

They cant stay 'cool' young hero team that bucks convention forever

In the context of the scene it seemed like they were scouting out the scene. Then they got spotted and pretty much had no choice but to act, Speedball leading the charge in the name of ratings.

You're right, but I expect the leader of the team to be more concerned with getting the job done right, then with the fact that he was called a bondage queen.

Leaders should lead and make sure stuff like Stamford doesnt happen. That's why there are leaders.
Night Thrasher should have taken charge.

Instead he whined about his image (totally out of character) and the team let a disaster occur

That right there makes them third string

I don't know if it was too out of character for Night Thrasher. Not having any real super powers, he has to be confident, and when someone calls him a bondage queen infront of television cameras he got upset.

The New Warriors thought they had everything under control. They didn't expect such a massive explosion to occur. They were thinking it would be a quick battle that would make them look good.

this just made me think, this is supposedly the catalyst which makes the government think that all superheroes must be accountable, fair enough, but i think its ironic that it happened to the new warriors who as far as I know were the only super team to go out of their way to get every town they fight in insured

Purple Man said:
When the New Warriors weren't selling anymore they had to try something new.

They did a reverse Spider-Man. They tried to be legitimate super heroes, but that didn't pan out like they hoped so they used their abilities to be tv stars and make a quick buck. It's not a stupid idea. If there were so many people running around with super powers, someone was going to use their gifts for television. Spider-Man did it, and the New Warriors did it.

They made the mistake of hunting down super powered criminals infront of a television camera. They were more worried about the spectacle than actually doing good for the world. I know a lot of people are feeling let down that their beloved Warriors acted in such a wreckless fashion. But to that I say: Deal with it. It might not have been right, but it was human.

There's a difference between "such and such would never do something like that." and "Such and such made a mistake because they are only human beneath the spandex and super powers." Ask yourself how well you know the particular hero before you decide which one you should be saying.
It's just a difference of interpretation. I read the original New Warriors series and its aftermath in Busiek's Avengers and other comics, and I saw them grow to the point where they weren't amateurish morons. If every other super-strong hero could figure out that it'd make more sense to punch Nitro up or knock him out right off the bat instead of tossing him over to a populated school, I don't see why Namorita wouldn't. She's been a very experienced and competent hero for at least a few years in Marvel time. Spider-Man was practically a pro after only a few years, and Namorita's not an idiot, so it seems to me that it's a regression for her to not realize the implications of what she's doing. There's no impetus for the mistake.

On the other hand, if you look at it from the perspective that Nitro's explosion powers are pretty much instantaneous, then it wasn't even Namorita's fault to begin with. If Thor or She-Hulk or anyone else had been in that situation, no matter their experience level, they would've had no chance to stop him outside of killing him with their first punch.

Either way, I still think it's obvious that the intent of that scene was to show the New Warriors as young, reckless idiots whose powers constitute a danger to every normal person caught in the crossfire. That's flawed for two reasons: 1) the New Warriors generally weren't reckless after a while in their old comic (especially with Night Thrasher around), and 2) technically, every superhero's power constitutes a danger to every normal person caught in the crossfire. I can at least respect Civil War for tackling the second point in its main arc.

Maybe the New Warriors didn't think that people were going to get caught in the crossfire.

Maybe they were desperate for ratings so they hammed up the fight a little bit. Dragging it on longer than it needed to be.

Maybe Namorita was in a bad mood after Speedball pointing out her pimple, being called and idiot and goldfish-girl by Coldheart. She was telling Nitro to get back on his feet, she probably wanted to show off more for the camera.

Maybe, but those are all bad choices that stem from the reality show setting. I already said I felt that reality show mini-series was the downfall of what was once a decent, though not big-name, team, and they've been practically unrecognizable when compared to the older series since that started. You could view that as a regression in the characters themselves, but I don't because I don't see any impetus for a backward slide in their superhero performance. I see it as lazy characterization. It's easier to regress the team to near-newbies so they can screw up all the time on their reality show and be made the martyrs that kick off Civil War rather than come up with a more plausible scenario that pays some respect to the fact that they've already proven time and again that they're really not amateurs by any measure.

But again, it's just a difference in personal interpretation. I can see the basis for your perspective, I just don't agree with it. I think the New Warriors' bad portrayal is just characteristic of the lazy work Marvel's been pulling on its less popular characters for a while now (and no, that's not a dig at Joe Q, since they were pulling that kind of junk before he came onboard already).

ShadowBoxing said:
That whole story was really out of character for Night Thrasher.

Amen. Thrasher was already wealthy, He didn't need the money. Maybe Trasher is the one to survive. He can be easily still alive because it easily couldn't have been Dwayne Turner under the mask, We don't kmnow. I think Speedy would have led the charge with a team of inexpiernece heroes, but Thrasher and Namorita?? I don't know, maybe another poster was right that their wasn't much any superhero could have done unless they killed or knocked him out as soon as they engaged him or it was jean grey or invisiable women who could have surrounded him with a shield.

I think it's going to be Speedball who's the survivor cuase all throught Civil War one they keep mentioning him first and the New Warriors second as if he was the leader.

I also don't know about the New Warrios being a push over or thrid rate team with memeber like Nova and Firestar. Both of them were powerful superhumans, especially Firestar, she could generate blasts on Phoenix level.

MJB said:
Amen. Thrasher was already wealthy, He didn't need the money. Maybe Trasher is the one to survive. He can be easily still alive because it easily couldn't have been Dwayne Turner under the mask, We don't kmnow. I think Speedy would have led the charge with a team of inexpiernece heroes, but Thrasher and Namorita?? I don't know, maybe another poster was right that their wasn't much any superhero could have done unless they killed or knocked him out as soon as they engaged him or it was jean grey or invisiable women who could have surrounded him with a shield.

The premise behind the "Reality Bites" mini was that Dwayne had lost a lot of money and the only way he would have made enough money to not lose it was if the show had been a success and they made money. At the end of the mini we see that the production of the series was cancelled and Dwayne loses the company.

MJB said:
I also don't know about the New Warrios being a push over or thrid rate team with memeber like Nova and Firestar. Both of them were powerful superhumans, especially Firestar, she could generate blasts on Phoenix level.

Phoenix level? Is that a technical term? The Phoenix entity wasn't exactly known for her fire powers. Just the phoenix aura that she formed around herself. And how exactly do you know that the temperature of the flame that Angelica makes is on par with this cosmic flame? Maybe it would have been a little more wise to say that she could generate temperatures close to that of the sun.

Nova and Firestar are both powerful characters, too bad neither one of them were there in Civil War. Even if they were they'd have to knock out Nitro immediately to prevent the massive explosion.

Also, I really don't see Night Thrasher surviving over Speedball. Wouldn't Speedballs' powers ricochet him off the blast, sending him a couple miles away?

A quick question: Who is Microbe and what are his powers?

he is nightthrashers adopted son (kinda) and he can speak to germs.....in the mini he was a big blubbering crybaby and pretty useless

Night Thrasher adopted a guy who looks almost as old as he is? That's odd.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Night Thrasher adopted a guy who looks almost as old as he is? That's odd.

Yeah, his father was a scientist that worked for Taylor's foundation (if I'm not mistaken), died and left Microbe orphaned. Dwayne adopted him. That's why I mentioned before that if you take the solicitation for Front Line #3 literally, Microbe is the one that fits the bill. His family (Dwayne) is dead, his only friends were the reality show Warriors and crew (dead) and he really wasn't much of a superhero without the rest of them. Nobody's mentioned it yet but Nova is not the only one missing from the "Reality Bites" roster, newcomer Debrii was absent also (that's how forgettable she was:o).

CIVIL WAR: FRONT LINE # 3
The Story: “Embedded” - Civil War has ignited across the Marvel Universe! Embedded reporters Sally Floyd and Ben Urich are driven into the heart of battle—a battle in which a hero will fall. Their investigations will take Sally into the heart of Captain America’s resistance, while Urich is about to get reacquainted with a certain green friend...
“The Accussed” - Despised by a nation, the lone survivor of the New Warriors’ team is behind bars. Without family, without a friend in the world and without a reason to go on, will this hero make a deal, or take a stand?
“Correspondence” - Juxtaposing stories of war throughout time with the Marvel Civil War, “Correspondence” adapts tales from World War I and more!

A green friend? Could he be talking about the Green Goblin?

I hope some of the surviving members get used in other teams now tha the NW are gone. Justice and Firestar back with the Avengers. Maybe the X-Men. Nova definatly with the Avengers. Rage with the Young Avengers. They're all good characters that could be used in other places.

I'd like to see another cosmic team like Warlock and the Infinity Watch come out of Annihilation, myself. Nova, Quasar, the Silver Surfer, maybe a reformed Super-Skrull and Drax... that'd be sweet.

FrogMan said:
Joe Q has said there is an 80% chance that they will return in the next two years sometime.

Joey Q says a lot of things.

Like "Dead is dead." And "I don't eat babies." Doesn't make it truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"