Star Trek Beyond - Part 4

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Thread Manager, May 30, 2017.

1. Micromind New World New Rules

I don't get why Paramount are finding it that difficult to make a Star Trek movie, I mean.. the budget of ST movie is usually lower than that of Star War movies, as for B.O. performance, just make an entertaining movie and give it a good release date. ST Beyond was not financially successful, but any franchise can have ups and downs, look at Star Wars Solo, are Disney thinking that next SW movie will tank too ?

No, they make necessary changes and carry on.

2. Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

Honestly between The Last Jedi and Solo, maybe Disney should be concerned.

3. DarkKnight88 Registered

Not really. The Last Jedi still made a billion. Nobody was worried when Empire Strikes Back and Attack of the Clones made less than the previous.

Nobody cared for a young Han Solo that wasn't Harrison Ford. Episode IX will do what the third of the previous Star Wars trilogies made, smaller than the first, more than the second. That's how they've all done.

4. scarlet-witch Stormborn

I like these new Star Trek movies but it would've been weird without Anton Yelchin, even if his part wasn't big. I'm not too upset about the cancellation

5. Teelie Jokerface

I think a young Han Solo movie would have been good with a better story and none of the behind the scenes chaos that kept it from being good.

A Yelchin-less Star Trek is doable. They left it open for Jaylah to take the role but then Paramount fumbled about with the franchise from the start with this movie then when it failed to do better they dropped it.

6. sueb1863 Registered

I think it was a lot of factors and not Star Wars. The last ST movie flopped and the franchise lost its momentum. Plus, it's been ten years since the first movie and the age is going to show on the actors.

The 50th anniversary of the franchise came and went and Paramount more or less ignored it. They don't seem all that interested in the franchise any more. Discovery's on the CBS streaming service so only people who want to pay the fee can watch it. Not the best way to get a lot of new fans, which is what the franchise needs.

7. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Star Trek has simply has never been that popular on the big screen. JJ really was the high point in that regard. I am a big fan of the last 3 films, but Beyond's BO results were always a concern.

8. Mandon Knight This means something to those who believe....

ST's fan base just isn't as wide as SW's, never has been.

9. Monsieur Xavier Recycled

No :) I think many people watch it w/o paying and the only thing these people do it not making CBS money but the fans are still here, legally or not.

Anyways, the movie(s) will be re-re-booted at one point.

10. TheVileOne Registered

The problem is the budgets for the movies keep getting bigger, but the movies keep making less money. It's not that surprising. Not to mention Paramount priced themselves out by offering the actors bigger deals they could no longer afford.

It's too bad. Overall, I loved this cast and I really enjoyed the first and third movies.

And yeah sueb1863 is right on the money on how Paramount totally ignored the 50th anniversary. That was absolutely headscratching, especially with the movie coming out to coincide with that time frame.

I think the big problem is that they waited too long after 2009 film. They were riding high and had a ton of momentum. Like people really dug the movie and they failed to capitalize on it.

Star Trek Into Darkness. I can totally see, at the time, the logic in doing a Khan story. I think they just handled it the wrong way. It shouldn't have been kept as a secret because it's not even a major plot twist in the film. Now, hindsight being 20/20, I think they should've kept Cumberbatch but had him play a completely new villain.

#310 TheVileOne, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  11. sueb1863 Registered

Still can't figure out why they'd rehash old stories and characters when they literally could have done any story they wanted to with the classic characters. We already had a great Khan movie, we didn't need another one.

I'd like to see ST go back to the simple, exciting "Wagon Train in space" concept of the original series. No angst, no dark drama, just adventure. I don't know if they'd ever want to try a new series with the original characters, like the 2009 movie, but maybe someday they'll give it a go.

12. TheVileOne Registered

Some fans were talking a lot bout Khan after the first movie believe it or not. But I agree with the sentiment.

I think they were a little too drunk on the success of the first movie. After they did such a good job reinventing the franchise and the original characters, they probably thought they could reinvent the most prolific villain as well.

13. titansupes Registered

I imagine in spite of this current situation, if Tarantino came to them wanting to do it, both Paramount and the cast would scramble to make it happen. We'll probably only know anything well after Once Upon a Time in Hollywood comes out... So sometime in 2020, maybe.

14. Binker Registered

I hate the fact that the new Star Trek movies has been shelved for the time being. But to be honest, I’m not really surprised. Star Trek into Dumbness, the real title of that movie, did more damage because of what he did and what they didn’t do. And Star Trek Beyond, well that movie was good, something like that written by a Star Trek fan should have things we all wanted. So to have that be the final product is kind of disappointing, especially when it reuses his basic tropes like destroying the Enterprise.

Ever since the first film, and reinforced with the second; I really want a movie where it gives us a full scale Federation/Klingon war. And after saying that, everyone wants that. But with the plot of what ST4 was going to be, they didn’t want to give us that.

I think that’s to blame for all of this: not making the right decisions.

P.S. I've found myself thinking of what my ST4 should be, as much as wondering what STiD and STB could've been compared to the final product.

15. Sawyer High King

.................... good one. :o

16. sueb1863 Registered

What I'd like to see now is a TV series based on the 2009 movie. If they're not doing any more movies they might as well do a TV series about new adventures with the classic characters. They'd have to recast but if they took the same amount of care as they did with the movie, they could probably find the right actors.

Just a thought.

17. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

18. terry78 oh my god bear is driving

19. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Why doesn't Tarantino just make an original sci-fi movie? I'd much rather have "Pulp Fiction in space" as its own thing, versus something set in the Star Trek universe, where it doesn't seem to belong.

Dark Raven and Schlosser85 like this.
  20. Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

Yea “Pulp Fiction in Space” doesn’t exactly convince me Tarantino + Star Trek is a good match.

21. DarkKnight88 Registered

At this point there’s, so much (too much!) Star Trek media, that Pulp Fiction Star Trek is kind of a breath of fresh air.

22. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Agree.

Also I don't want them swearing all the time. It's even rather jarring in Star Trek Discovery when they drop an F bomb for no reason.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  23. Doctor Jones It's All One Story

Oh My God Tarantino is doing Piece of the Action!

24. Blade Hoarder Registered

It's time to get medieval on the prime ******* directive.

25. James.B In search of the absurd