Star Trek Beyond - Part 4

I love what Noah Hawley did with Fargo. Love it
I hear Legion is great too and it's on my list to watch.

But I heard his first sci fi movie, Lucy in the Sky wasn't it. I was looking forward to it, but it wasn't even released in theaters around me.

With how shaky the Star Trek cinematic franchise is...I wouldn't put my faith in someone like Hawley yet.
But we'll see. I love Hawley's work from what I've seen

I’m of mixed opinion on this. On the other hand, Legion and Fargo seem to make Hawley an exciting choice but on the other hand the critical reaction to Lucy In The Sky(formerly known as Pale Blue Dot) makes think a studio would get cold feet about hiring him for a franchise this big & I’m not sure why he’s jumping onboard a project like Star Trek so soon after his last movie flopped. I guess Paramount executives really liked his pitch? It helps that he has both of the aforementioned shows to his name but I’d figured Hawley wouldn’t be so keen to jump on a big project before potentially redeeming himself on a more smaller budget film thats scores him better reactions than his last film did.

Hawley has an impressive resume as far as his television is concerned, but being a good showrunner doesn’t always translate to being a good director. If you’re going to get a show-runner who made his first foray into directing a movie why not Breaking Bad & Better Call Saul’s Vince Gilligan? He’s a Trekkie, and his first film “El Camino” was well-received. Now I’m not saying Hawley can’t make a good movie, but I find it odd that the studio is going to give him a Trek film when his film career began with a dud. After El Camino, I’d imagine they’d look to Gilligan over Hawley.

Last edited:
I haven't seen Lucy in the Sky yet, but from what I've read, it seemed like Hawley's vision was clashing with the script (which he didn't write).

With the Star Trek movie he's going to be writing it as well.

I haven't seen Lucy in the Sky yet, but from what I've read, it seemed like Hawley's vision was clashing with the script (which he didn't write).

With the Star Trek movie he's going to be writing it as well.
he did write the script. Or at least had a hand in it from the credits.

But you're right. New thread

Or just rename this one Star Trek 4.

Now this I can get behind. Ideally, Hawley cam actually write a Star Trek that is actually Star Trek.

I think he will write something that hews more toward the Twilight Zone-esque qualities of TOS, and that's exciting to me.

Those episodes featuring weird aliens that warp reality and they never really find out how.

I think it's a bad choice. Hawley seems better suited for TV. Lucy in the Sky was awful.

Also, how are they going to get back the rest of the cast when they tried to cut their salaries the last time they tried to get fourth film off the ground?

Not seen any of Hawley's movies but Legion was awesome and heard only good things about Fargo.

Just ordered the 4K Trilogy box set last night so this is good timing for me.

Will it be the same cast? I thought they were all let go from their contracts.

Of course its going to feature the cast from the last movie. A reboot would just underperform more.

Yeah, even Tarantino’s version was going to feature that cast.

A Hawley Star Trek film could be interesting, but any excitement I have is tempered by the fact that it will still feature the Kelvin timeline and cast (as I hated the previous three movies). It's also practically guaranteed that Jeff Russo will be scoring it, and I have not cared for his work on Discovery. I'm also somewhat disappointed that we have yet another white guy doing Star Trek, a little diversity behind the camera would be nice.

It's a bummer that Tarantino's film seems to have stalled and died, but not entirely surprising.

Seems like Paramount can't figure out what they want to do here.

The Hawley version is all but dead. The Tarantino version is also pretty much done.

The Tarantino version is also pretty much done.

giphy.gif

I guess I missed the news that the Tarantino and Hawley versions were officially (?) cancelled:

The most recent big-screen voyage of the Starship Enterprise came in 2016’s Star Trek Beyond. There have been several attempts at mounting another movie, including one by The Revenant‘s Mark L. Smith that Quentin Tarantino and Abrams hatched, and another by Fargo‘s Noah Hawley. Both of those cooled: Tarantino stepped out of the first project, and Hawley told Deadline last year that Paramount wanted to go another way with the franchise and pushed pause on his film.

So... good luck to Vazquez. I guess... :ebr:

I guess I missed the news that the Tarantino and Hawley versions were officially (?) cancelled:

The most recent big-screen voyage of the Starship Enterprise came in 2016’s Star Trek Beyond. There have been several attempts at mounting another movie, including one by The Revenant‘s Mark L. Smith that Quentin Tarantino and Abrams hatched, and another by Fargo‘s Noah Hawley. Both of those cooled: Tarantino stepped out of the first project, and Hawley told Deadline last year that Paramount wanted to go another way with the franchise and pushed pause on his film.

So... good luck to Vazquez. I guess... :ebr:

That's one of those things about developing movies in Hollywood. Projects will go through many permutations and versions before they can ever get made or get to a point where everyone agrees to make it.

I really hope they can get Pine, Saldana et al back for this as that cast really helped make the previous trilogy as good as it was. But the report seems to indicate this is a re-boot?

With Abrams producing that seems a bit pointless to me.

I really hope they can get Pine, Saldana et al back for this as that cast really helped make the previous trilogy as good as it was. But the report seems to indicate this is a re-boot?

With Abrams producing that seems a bit pointless to me.

I mean part of this started because Paramount didn't want to pay them what they were promised and the last movie didn't do well enough to overspend on the next installment. So the franchise reached in impasse, a stalemate. And here we are five years later with no sequel in sight, and they made a bunch of new TV shows instead.

I recall wasn't Hawley saying his movie would've had a new cast? I think the rebooted Kelvin timeline cast is mostly done.

Star Trek 4 May Not Include Original Cast, Says Noah Hawley

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"