The Rise of Skywalker Star Wars IX Box Office Thread

When leaks for Endgame's script were out, fans were equally and logically pissed, but when the actual film came out... it actually worked on screen.

If there's anything JJ is good at is making a fun and enjoyable movie, regardless of the script. I've seen that done with his Star Trek run... although, he didn't do much for fans of the franchise. So there's that...

I can only assume he won't be able to tie up this movie in a nice logical story narrative for this last film of the current trilogy. But he will razzle and dazzle audience... so take what you can get.

Has JJ ever delivered a satisfying conclusion tho? He is good at setting things up but ending things?

Huh? I post a lot so probably. CM is different, it was a second female led CBM movie so of course it was gonna do well. "Completely different person"? What a bizarre statement to make.

Combined with BO performance so far being paint so favorably and vaguely and actual RT critics admitting to giving Disney flicks more positive reviews than they want I am just saying it's hard to believe things anymore lol As to who posts what even a broken clock is right twice a day :funny:

It's just that back then you were all "penniless losers" and "male tears" and now all of sudden you want to play devil's advocate and be the voice of reason? To me .... that's bizarre.

It's just that back then you were all "penniless losers" and "male tears" and now all of sudden you want to play devil's advocate and be the voice of reason? To me .... that's bizarre.

Every single CBM led by women is met with same nonsense,BoP is already getting hit with it even over Ewan McGregor's short comments about what the movie is which is basically saying the obvious.

I don't wanna "play" anything, I'm just giving my opinion. And those reports about TROS peformance are widely considered to be slightly odd in how carefully and crafty they are worded. Add to that all that other stuff and yeah, it's weird. IMHO. However bizarre you may find it :funny:

Also I am biased. I root for every CBM that's led by women to do well. I do not root for the franchise that hit the fans with TLJ. But I'm a bit torn because it would be nice if Oscar Isaac was in something successful at last. And I do not think of this trilogy as led by a woman but maybe that's because Driver is doing such a great job, I basically think of Ridley and Driver co-leading it. so I think the misogyny driving negativity is less of a factor here than it is with CBMs. People just really really really disliked TLJ lol

What are JJ's unsatisfying conclusions exactly?

That wasn't the question so don't twist things around. Are you trying to say he has proved to be good at ending trilogies? He didn't write ending for lost (but that is a point in his favor), he wrote the middle part of Mission Impossible. What in his writer resume gives you confidence in his ability to be able to provide a satisfying ending?

I think J.J. was the best choice they could make, based on TFA but i don't know how well he can do here. And we saw the leaks, didn't we.

Every single CBM led by women is met with same nonsense,BoP is already getting hit with it even over Ewan McGregor's short comments about what the movie is which is basically saying the obvious.

I don't wanna "play" anything, I'm just giving my opinion. And those reports about TROS peformance are widely considered to be slightly odd in how carefully and crafty they are worded. Add to that all that other stuff and yeah, it's weird. IMHO. However bizarre you may find it :funny:

Also I am biased. I root for every CBM that's led by women to do well. I do not root for the franchise that hit the fans with TLJ. But I'm a bit torn because it would be nice if Oscar Isaac was in something successful at last. And I do not think of this trilogy as led by a woman but maybe that's because Driver is doing such a great job, I basically think of Ridley and Driver co-leading it. so I think the misogyny driving negativity is less of a factor here than it is with CBMs. People just really really really disliked TLJ lol
There is a difference between conspiracy theories and discussing the box office. Magnar is talking box office. Warlock literally brought alt-right conspiracy theories here.

You refuse to consider the source. Well known misogynists and racists. More over you do it while failing to understand that Disney Star Wars has been attacked in the very same manner as the CBM movies as led by women, with the added dimension of racism. It is literally the same, fact less arguments, that these clowns use to get clicks from alt-right dick heads and yes incels. Someone literally cut a version of TLJ where they removed the women for **** sake.

Has JJ ever delivered a satisfying conclusion tho? He is good at setting things up but ending things?

I think other than the show Felicity, this is the first time he's ever ended a story he's been involved with. He's usually the guy that sets it up and then steps away to let others take over. LOST, Star Trek, etc. I often think of him more as a producer than as a director, to be honest.

That wasn't the question so don't twist things around. Are you trying to say he has proved to be good at ending trilogies? He didn't write ending for lost (but that is a point in his favor), he wrote the middle part of Mission Impossible. What in his writer resume gives you confidence in his ability to be able to provide a satisfying ending?

I think J.J. was the best choice they could make, based on TFA but i don't know how well he can do here. And we saw the leaks, didn't we.
I am saying this may literally be the first time he has come back to "conclude" a story, so we have no idea. Running with the narrative that he doesn't know how to give something a satisfying conclusion ignores that. I do know the trailers look fantastic, I am a fan of his films (including their endings) and he made TFA. One of my favorite films of all time.

I think other than the show Felicity, this is the first time he's ever ended a story he's been involved with. He's usually the guy that sets it up and then steps away to let others take over. LOST, Star Trek, etc. I often think of him more as a producer than as a director, to be honest.
To me he is a Spielberg. Which is why the Indy series was always more of George's thing. Because he is far more into the idea of a series. I am looking at you Tin-Tin. :csad:

There is a difference between conspiracy theories and discussing the box office. Magnar is talking box office. Warlock literally brought alt-right conspiracy theories here.

You refuse to consider the source. Well known misogynist and racist. More over you do it while failing to understand that Disney Star Wars has been attacked in the very same manner as the CBM movies as led by women, with the added dimension of racism. It is literally the same, fact less arguments, that these clowns use to get clicks from alt-right dick heads and yes incels. Someone literally cut a version of TLJ where they removed the women for **** sake.

Ok then. I will take this out of equation in this thread, still the headlines about BO alone are odd to me.

I am saying this may literally be the first time he has come back to "conclude" a story, so we have no idea. Running with the narrative that he doesn't know how to give something a satisfying conclusion ignores that. I do know the trailers look fantastic, I am a fan of his films (including their endings) and he made TFA. One of my favorite films of all time.

I'm not 'running with narratives', I'm skeptical.

JJ did recently admit that endings terrify him and he naturally gravitates towards beginnings.

But personally, I think that's exactly what's great about him tackling this movie. He's proven to be a capable storyteller and a fantastic director. If he's able to combine his proven abilities with a script that really delivers, this movie could be insanely good. I respect filmmakers that take on challenges and venture out of their comfort zone. I think TFA was JJ's best film by a wide margin, and I think TROS has the potential to take him to the next level beyond that.

Ok then. I will take this out of equation in this thread, still the headlines about BO alone are odd to me.

I'm not 'running with narratives', I'm skeptical.
They aren't really odd. Such headlines are always narrative base, and usually done to show whatever film it is in the best light. Of course they didn't sell more tickets then Endgame on day one, but the headlines work for Disney. You see this all the time. Not just with Disney.

The bases of your skepticism doesn't really have a basis though, does it? You can be skeptical you don't think it will be good. But that is different then arguing he doesn't know how to do a conclusion, when well our only evidence is apparently something that went over well.

Yeah but if he messes up here....risk, reward it would be a gigantic mess. But Rian will probably be blamed if this is the case lol

Again not 'running wirh narratives' lol

They aren't really odd. Such headlines are always narrative base, and usually done to show whatever film it is in the best light. Of course they didn't sell more tickets then Endgame on day one, but the headlines work for Disney. You see this all the time. Not just with Disney.

The bases of your skepticism doesn't really have a bias though, does it? You can be skeptical you don't think it will be good. But that is different then arguing he doesn't know how to do a conclusion, when well our only evidence is apparently something that went over well.

You have no evidence he can deliver a conclusion. None. And I see you are absolutely hellbent on fighting with every shred of scepticism people have for this movie and no offense but I have no interest in reading that. I'll watch and I'll either be entertaining or bored. That's it. It's a movie.

I'm skeptical but for Isaac's sake I hope it does well. So there you have it :funny:

JJ did recently admit that endings terrify him and he naturally gravitates towards beginnings.

But personally, I think that's exactly what's great about him tackling this movie. He's proven to be a capable storyteller and a fantastic director. If he's able to combine his proven abilities with a script that really delivers, this movie could be insanely good. I respect filmmakers that take on challenges and venture out of their comfort zone. I think TFA was JJ's best film by a wide margin, and I think TROS has the potential to take him to the next level beyond that.
So JJ is like all storytellers. Especially the good ones. :cwink:

You have no evidence he can deliver a conclusion. None. And I see you are absolutely hellbent on fighting with every shred of scepticism people have for this movie and no offense but I have no interest in reading that. I'll watch and I'll either be entertaining or bored. That's it. It's a movie.

I'm skeptical but for Isaac's sake I hope it does well. So there you have it :funny:
You have no evidence that he can't deliver a conclusion. :funny:

It's a movie. I know he can make movies., movies I really like.

My favorite thing about the idea that I fight with every shred of skepticism about this movie, as I speak on the issues I have with the spoilers both here and on TFN. But sure, pointing out the logical fallacies you are running and pointing out that someone brought in alt-right BS to this thread is me fighting every shred of skepticism. Sure, sure...

You have no evidence that he can't deliver a conclusion. :funny:

It's a movie. I know he can make movies., movies I really like.

My favorite thing about the idea that I fight with every shred of skepticism about this movie, as I speak on the issues I have with the spoilers both here and on TFN. But sure, pointing out the logical fallacies you are running and pointing out that someone brought in alt-right BS to this thread is me fighting every shred of skepticism. Sure, sure...

You're literally all over this thread responding to every single post. But hey, you spend your time the way you want.

When tech platforms are one day regulated like traditional media, I wonder what these broken little internet losers will do with themselves when they can't lust over making up crap because a movie ruined their life or challenged their view of the world?

Another thing that gives me some confidence is that JJ seemed relieved that they had a script way ahead of schedule this time around. He has admitted that for a lot of the films he's directed, there were some fundamental script issues that hadn't been worked out by the time they began filming.

Yes, there are reshoots going on, but that's not unusual on a movie of this size.

I'm really rooting for him. He's really talented and I'd love for him to prove his "he's just the reboot guy" detractors wrong with this film.

I've personally really enjoyed all of the Abrams movies that I've seen (I think "Super 8" is a very charming and underrated little gem), so I'm confident that he'll deliver here.

The fact that he's never finished a complete trilogy is an interesting observation, but one that doesn't really concern me that much personally.

giphy.gif

Yeah. He's involved 5 times more content as a producer than a director. Though that's in line with someone like Spielberg. However, Spielberg has more distinct successes under his belts and has been a consistent director for the better parts of the 70s, 80s, and early 90s.

Honestly, I will say Spielberg has directed more popular original content than anyone I know of. I feel that JJ lately has been tasked to reboot or redo franchises. It's something--I'm sure Spielberg (in his prime) wouldn't have done.

I've personally really enjoyed all of the Abrams movies that I've seen (I think "Super 8" is a very charming and underrated little gem), so I'm confident that he'll deliver here.

The fact that he's never finished a complete trilogy is an interesting observation, but one that doesn't really concern me that much personally.
:highfive:

Long Range Tracking: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, Bombshell, and Cats - Boxoffice

They think $200M opening and $550M floor and $750M ceiling.

They overestimated TLJ by $120M. Were close on the opening, overestimated the multiplier though TLJ probably did leave some money on the table with its reception.

Long Range Forecast: 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' & 'Ferdinand' - Boxoffice

Solo was overestimated even more:

Long Range Tracking: 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' - Boxoffice

Interesting, so they already think it will perform similarly to TLJ and not nearly TFA. It will be interesting to see how these projections age, ala Solo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"