Star Wars: The Old Republic - Part 1

LucasArts and BioWare Corp. to Create Ground-Breaking Interactive Entertainment Product

SAN FRANCISCO, CA and EDMONTON, CANADA -- October 30, 2007 -- LucasArts and BioWare Corp. today announced that they have entered into an agreement to create an interactive entertainment product. The product, details of which will be unveiled at a later date, will be developed and published by BioWare and LucasArts, and will push the boundaries of the gaming market by utilizing the strengths of both companies to deliver an innovative, high-quality experience.

"LucasArts has a deep commitment to developing compelling stories and characters for the unique medium of interactive entertainment, and we have been searching for a developer that shares this value. We found this in BioWare," said Jim Ward, president of LucasArts. "Through our previous collaborations, we know that BioWare has an impressive ability to blend gripping stories with technological advancements, and we believe that our upcoming product will deliver an experience that will span the traditional boundaries of video game entertainment."

"BioWare's mission is to deliver the best story and character-driven games in the world, delivering powerful emotional experiences to our fans." said Ray Muzyka, chief executive officer, BioWare Corp. Added Greg Zeschuk, president of BioWare Corp., "The collaboration with LucasArts allows us to combine our passion for creating high quality and innovative experiences with those of a company dedicated to bringing only the finest games to market."

http://www.lucasartsbioware.com/

I haven't played in a few weeks, but I tried logging on today. Waited around for the patch update to finish, got to my "choose character" screen only to see that the graphics look like a 500 pound gorilla sat on them. Every thing (minus the UI) is extremely squashed. Thought it might just be that particular screen, but it's ingame as well. Any idea how to fix it?

I've tried that. Doesn't work. All my graphics drivers are up to date as well.

Legacy has arrived for those who are interested. My patch will take a while as my internet is slower.

Unfortunately, this didn't work. Thanks though. I saw a ToR employee suggest to another person to update quicktime, but that didn't help either. I'm having one more go before I call up tech support.

There is now a news report station at Fleet. For those who want to know... Tatooine has now been infected with the Rakghoul virus.

I'm assuming this is the start of a storyline, a friend of mine got scanned by a containment droid while infected and security tried to kill her. :up:

Unfortunately, this didn't work. Thanks though. I saw a ToR employee suggest to another person to update quicktime, but that didn't help either. I'm having one more go before I call up tech support.

Did you check the Tech or Customer Services boards for a thread about your issue ? You can find helpfull stuff on these boards.

Yeah, but nothing worked and I've sent emails to customer service. I got it kina fixed however. I have to unplug my second monitor and restart my computer....it doesn't completely fix the issue, but it's playable now.

Did you reinstall your video drivers post patch ? I found some threads on swtor board about an issue similar to yours and it was fixed after reinstall.

Note : I don't have a full web access, I was only able to read the cached forum ( by google ).

I have to say I really prefer the Imperial faction story quests over the Republic one's.

I am enjoying the smuggler story. I also enjoyed Bounty Hunter.

Did you reinstall your video drivers post patch ? I found some threads on swtor board about an issue similar to yours and it was fixed after reinstall.

Note : I don't have a full web access, I was only able to read the cached forum ( by google ).
Yeah, I did that. The eventual fix was two fold:

1) Go into the TOR client file and correct the native and output dimensions. (why they went bonkers, I've got no idea)
2) Unplug my second monitor before each time I play

#2 is pretty annoying, especially since I use my 2nd monitor all the time for work. I've not had this issue until this latest patch. But at least it's fixed now.

---------

My original character was a Sith Assassin, but I kinda got bored with the story, so I just started two additional characters in-tandem: Jedi Guardian and a Smuggler Gunslinger. Very fun so far. I love the cover function for the Smuggler; makes it feel like a completely different game compared to the light saber characters.

SWTOR Subscriber Base Shrinks

It's still over 1 million, but smaller than the last reported numbers

Electronic Arts reported a drop in Star Wars: The Old Republic's subscriber base, down to 1.3 million from the 1.7 million figure given in February 2012.

This news comes after the release of Star Wars: The Old Republic's 1.2 Legacy update, which added a large amount of new content to the game including dungeons, a PvP arena, and incentives to start new characters and replay content as different classes.

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a subscription-based MMO and requires active players to pay 15 USD per month after purchasing the base game, which starts at 60 USD. As of the end of April 2012, 2.4 million units of Star Wars: The Old Republic have sold through.

Despite the lower subscriber numbers, EA considers Star Wars: The Old Republic to be the number two MMO in the West, and says it's stable and profitable. Most of the subscriber number drop was attributed to the loss of more casual players. Expect more of an emphasis on elder game PvP and guild features moving forward in 2012.

BioWare also hinted at what's in store for the upcoming 1.3 update.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/122/1224460p1.html

Bioware should have made KOTOR 3 instead

Last edited:
That was LucasArt's call - they were the ones who pulled out of Obsidian's KoTOR 3.

That was LucasArt's call - they were the ones who pulled out of Obsidian's KoTOR 3.

Okay so instead of including Bioware in that sentence. I will simply say that KOTOR 3 should have been made instead :o Smart move there LucasArts

Why am I still paying for this game? I guess it's because I do like certain aspects of the game, and I keep thinking that eventually I'll find the time to really dig in and start playing on a regular basis again. But at this point, I never even log in. And when I do have time to spend a few hours playing games, I play something else.

I might find more incentive to play if my RL friends or family were interested, but the $15 monthy fee instantly wipes out any interest any of them might have had. I'll most likely cancel at the end of this month.

I'm still playing the game but that's largely because I've got 2-3 close friends that I party up with regularly. I could see, if one were diving in solo, that since the game is so reliant on being able to party up into a posse that it would be hard to really get going. While I could do without some of the MMO elements, there are actually some really good parts to this game - the Imperial Agent story being the standout, but I almost never play when my friends aren't around which thankfully hasn't been the case too often.

Last edited:
This game is going Free to Play (for the first 15 levels) sometime in July. Source

I've been looking into buying this game but I've had to wait until I could buy a better computer.

Which classes do you guys find to contain the best story lines/companions? I intend to try all of them but I'd like to know which to give priority.

I've been looking into buying this game but I've had to wait until I could buy a better computer.

Which classes do you guys find to contain the best story lines/companions? I intend to try all of them but I'd like to know which to give priority.

Haven't played for a while, myself I like my force users...so I'd recommend Jedi Knight/Guardian, Sith Warrior/Inquisitor.........after force users, I'm a smuggler and bounty hunter boy...this isn't from a story point, just the type of character I usually enjoy playing as in my SW games...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"