The Force Awakens Star Wars VII Director?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love to see Kevin Smith direct it, but if he's not willing to direct, would like to see him write it.

Don't even joke about that. Disney is not hiring some nerd like Kevin Smith, who shouldn't be doing clone wars episode, much less a movie.

Moon and Children Of Men both have more story, style, and brilliance than most films in the last 20 years. These two directors proved more with these two little films than most directors do in careers. They would bring a mature artistry to this great property. It's what SW was built on and going back to that would be wonderful. SW needs that "pot" mentality again, many different and maybe contrasting aspects all mixed together with precision, care, and honesty would be magical.

Well said. As of right now, Duncan Jones would be my top choice. Aflonso is a good choice as well.

Whoever the new director will be, I hope he'll take a page out of the original trilogy and give us that "used universe" look again, which Lucas intentionally changed in the Prequels. That's why we got Padme's chrome spaceship instead. I want to see the universe as a dark, seedy place, and not a bright and colorful one like Star Trek's.

not to justify anything but I'd expect the supreme ruler of a planet to have a better ship than anyone else

Kevin Smith for Director.

Smith is retiring from directing after his next movie, or so he says. I seriously doubt he would even want to if the studio wanted him, which I'm sure they don't.

See there are many qualified directors who could do great work making these films, but so many of them including Jones, Curon, and (I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned more often) Neil Blompkamp, I'd rather they just continue to put out their own more original work.

Given Kathleen Kennedy's connection to Spielberg and Lucas I don't see how he isn't the first one offered it. For the general public having Episode VII directed by Spielberg is easier to market than Cuaron or Drew Godard. It gives it more credibility. Sure certain fanboys will **** on the idea but you need someone who can deliver a $200 million film to the masses, along with a passionate fanbase, on time. Now he may turn it down and Kennedy is a veteran producer so she knows the right director for this film.

Then they can transition to other directors with Episodes VIII and IX.

This.

I would imagine Del Toro is a dark horse candidate given his Disney connections.

Spielberg's got too many other projects he's involved in to do Star Wars. Just because of his association with Kennedy doesn't mean he's going to do the movie.

No he is working on Hobbit 3 re-shoots next year, there is no way he has time for it. The third is not coming out till 2014, so he would not be available.

That figures. I certainly wouldn't mind if he gets his hands on it somewhere down the road.

No more Star Wars. This is a terrible idea. End of story.

Here's my runner-up list and why.

Michael Bay: He worked for Spielberg, Spielberg has worked with Kathleen Kennedy on almost all of his films, she's now the head of Lucasfilm and Michael Bay worked at ILM in his teens.

M.Night Shyamalan: All of his films were made by Kathleen and her husband.

Chris Nolan: He has stated how much Star Wars has inspired him. He hosted an interview with George at the DGA. He showed up to the 25th Anniversary showing of the ESB.

J.J. Abrams: He has said that all films today are trying to be as good or even better than the original trilogy. But he has said there's no more ideas for locations because George has used them all up in his films. Just because he can't other can't?

The Wachowski's: George has said that they offered to to make the prequels and he turned them down, later he said he maybe should have hired them in that they could of done better.

My top pick is Chris Nolan and my second is the Wachowski's, and to hell no with Michael Bay and M.Night Shyamalan! J.J. says all visual ideas are used up, which I beg to differ!

Last edited:
Yeah CGHulk, no.

Shymalan got handed a big time franchise before and he ruined. He has no credibility right now.

It won't be Michael Bay either.

The Wachowski's are also bad choices. All their big movies since The Matrix have flopped.

Kevin Smith turned down an action film because he said it wasn't his forte.

While I like him as a humorous persona on podcasts and interviews, his time's up as a director anyway.

Whoever the new director will be, I hope he'll take a page out of the original trilogy and give us that "used universe" look again, which Lucas intentionally changed in the Prequels. That's why we got Padme's chrome spaceship instead. I want to see the universe as a dark, seedy place, and not a bright and colorful one like Star Trek's.

The problem with the prequels is by design, Lucas had a great concept with the 'new' look in the prequels. But because of years of other movies and games aping Star Wars or whatever, the overall 'prequel' designs looked generic.

The 'used industral' look is very old school Star Wars, along with the simple peasant-type clothes the characters wore in the original trilogy.

A current comic book series that does a great job of capturing the old school Star Wars look is Image Comics' 'Saga'.

Gore Verbinski

:oldrazz:
He is pretty big over at ILM, and so is Jon Favreau.

Jon Favreau presented George with an award where he complemented Star Wars in that it broke with 1970's nihilism.

Last edited:
Gore doesn't know how to handle budgets and I don't know how his relationship with Disney will be like post-Lone Ranger, unless it becomes a huge hit.

We should have all the cast/crew information by this time next year! ITS CRAZY!

Me thinks they'll hire the director next year, who'll work with the writer on the script. From there, I can see them shooting in 2014 if they wanna meet that deadline in 2015. But I'm with Filmnerd Jaimie: i think the movie will be made by 2016 instead.

If Nolan was announced as the director for SW7 the internet would break.

I honestly can't see Nolan doing it. I can see him doing Bond though.

I could be wrong, and I wouldn't be surprised if Disney offered him a chance. We'll see but I think his style of storytelling (exposition heavy) isnt' fitting for Star Wars unless he can adapt to this universe's writing style. (Original trilogy, that is.)

I think if Nolan were given a straight choice of Star Wars or Bond he'd pick SW.

You know what's this about. Time to have some speculative fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"