• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 29

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still sad that we couldn't get Spider-Man 4 instead of the TASM films. But then again all of this ended up with Spider-Man in the MCU, so... I guess it's all good.

Unpopular Opinion: I kind of like Spider-Man 3. I'm biased because I love the first two films, but I really don't think SM3 is that bad.

It's certainly not good, but I don't think it's as atrocious as some make it out to be.

It's not on the level of BvS bad. Actually, I'm willing to bet that people wouldn't hate the film as much if they removed the emo dancing scenes.

I find "Funky Soul" scene to be pretty entertaining, and I remember laughing a lot in the theater along with the rest of the theater. But the dance scene at the jazz club is where it became too much for me.

Street strut never fails to make me laugh.
The dancing area is funny too.

I can at least enjoy the bad stuff in SM3 by laughing hard. It's one of those bad memories you can look back on and laugh about. You could at least feel it was Raimi making those decisions, as misjudged as they were. The ASM films are so devoid of joy and are so cynically made there is absolutely nothing to enjoy. Those movies will be a blur at best in the memories of audiences. They're already pretty much forgotten in the grand scheme of today, and they will further be when Homecoming comes out. At best, the only thing it will be remembered for is how not to reboot a franchise. "The director was Marc Webb-ed" will be an expression when people talk about directors being the studio's b****.

Last edited:
I can at least enjoy the bad stuff in SM3 by laughing hard. It's one of those bad memories you can look back on and laugh about. You could at least feel it was Raimi making those decisions, as misjudged as they were. The ASM films are so devoid of joy and are so cynically made there is absolutely nothing to enjoy. Those movies will be a blur at best in the memories of audiences. They're already pretty much forgotten in the grand scheme of today, and they will further be when Homecoming comes out. At best, the only thing it will be remembered for is how not to reboot a franchise. "The director was Marc Webb-ed" will be an expression when people talk about directors being the studio's b****.

Marc Webb-ed or Sony-ed? I think Webb could have done a better job if he were under Marvel. But he is horrible at directing action sequences... ick. The TASM movies will definitely be forgotten in time, and their only purpose was to help pave the way for Spider-Man joining the MCU. Let's be thankful that TASM2 was a failure.

I don't get the love for Kevin Smith.

I really like Clerks, Clerks II, Mallrats, and Dogma. That's it.

After seeing an episode or two of 'Comic Book Men' I think it's fair to say I outright dislike Kevin Smith.

I was actually entertained by Comic Book Men, but I stopped watching mid-season 2. Then again I only binge watched it because I saw his panel at New York Comic Con and had such a good time. Made me feel like I was still there.

I miss old Kevin Smith when he could be an *******. He was more likeable then ironically enough. And it wasn't off putting. Now he's this jolly and positive guy who is milking his geek cred and makes ****** movies (Tusk was awful). It doesn't work for him that much. His geekiness made him unique at one point, but he still made good films. Now it's just obnoxious in the context of how mainstream geek culture has gotten.

He used to hate the system, I think. Now he's kinda embracing it.

This is just a theory, but I think he's loosened up because all of his **** talking of industry people (which I really loved, more people should do this and not fear being punished), combined with his mainstream flops have really kind of kicked him out of the studio system. Now he's making a healthy profit on just one of the aspects he was known for. But it's superficial which makes it the most annoying.

I will always love Kevin Smith for giving us the Jon Peters giant spider story. It doesn't matter how many times I watch that clip, I always laugh my ass off. And if anyone ever thinks he embellished some stuff, just WATCH Jon Peters in that Death of Superman Lives documentary talk about how he's a street fighter. Pro tip: don't watch it while drinking anything or else it will be coming out of your nose.

Ivan Drago is not a villain.

Are you joking? He's the only one in the Rocky movies to actually straight up kill someone and have complete disregard for human life ("If he dies, he dies"). Before anyone brings up Clubber Lang, while he was almost as bad as Drago, he didn't really kill Mickey directly.

I miss old Kevin Smith when he could be an *******. He was more likeable then ironically enough. And it wasn't off putting. Now he's this jolly and positive guy who is milking his geek cred and makes ****** movies (Tusk was awful). It doesn't work for him that much. His geekiness made him unique at one point, but he still made good films. Now it's just obnoxious in the context of how mainstream geek culture has gotten.

He would justify Tusk by saying how it is going to fund Clerks III. Yet that movie is nowhere to be seen...

He would justify Tusk by saying how it is going to fund Clerks III. Yet that movie is nowhere to be seen...

That's a problem then because I don't think any of his movies have turned a profit since the Bush administration.

Are you joking? He's the only one in the Rocky movies to actually straight up kill someone and have complete disregard for human life ("If he dies, he dies"). Before anyone brings up Clubber Lang, while he was almost as bad as Drago, he didn't really kill Mickey directly.

Forgive me, I could not speak English well at the time. I was trying to show empathy.

Ive actually never seen a Kevin Smith film other than part of Mallrats and part of Cop Out. Been meaning to watch Clerks for years but never got around to it.

This is just a theory, but I think he's loosened up because all of his **** talking of industry people (which I really loved, more people should do this and not fear being punished), combined with his mainstream flops have really kind of kicked him out of the studio system. Now he's making a healthy profit on just one of the aspects he was known for. But it's superficial which makes it the most annoying.

Maybe he's just older

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back