State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 29

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad, Apocalypse, Deadpool and Civil War this year, and I genuinely enjoyed all of them to varying degrees. The biggest surprise for me was probably Suicide Squad, since I kept hearing how awful it was and I really didn't think it was nearly that bad, and my biggest disappointment was Civil War. It wasn't bad, but I think it was a notable step down from Winter Solider, and there's a lot of little things that brought it down.
Agreed! :up:

I didn't say that it was that good, either, I just didn't think it was awful. I mean, it has like a 20% on Rotten Tomatoes or something like that, and I wouldn't put it even close to that level. I thought it was decent with some horrible pacing and underutilized potential. I would give it around a 6ish.

Oh yes, I don't have any particular affection for the movie but it was fun and entertaining.

The RT score for SS does baffle me, I mean I wouldn't give it a fresh rating either but 26% is rather harsh.

BVS, to me, was like an essay given a month in advance and you hold off doing it until the weekend before it's due. Some decent ideas floating around, but just a lot of sloppy execution (look no further than the JL cameos) that muddies the whole thing up. And it's funny that what I've described sounds like a rush job, when the thing ended up being f***ing delayed for almost a year.

Suicide Squad I enjoyed quite a bit and thought a lot of the harsher critics were being really hyperbolic, but the conflict at the center of the film was really weak and too standard CBM for something that could've been a real departure for the medium. Editing deserves some blame for the final product, but they didn't edit in an entire conflict.

As for X-Men Apocalypse... I don't know what the hell happened there. I just can't make sense of it. They were coming off arguably the strongest film of the franchise, they opened up a wide canvas for themselves continuity-wise and... they did that. They blew it with Oscar Isaac, Fassbender's presence was unnecessary (with the exception of one sad scene), and with the exception of Jean, none of the newbies really got anything memorable to do. The whole thing was just alot of spectacle without very much fun to go along with it. And the visuals also weren't very good either, so. :o

And, while I'm all for calling an overrated MCU spade a spade, I really enjoyed Civil War. While not wanting to turn this into a DC vs. Marvel thing, the conflict between the two main heroes actually worked, if perhaps being a bit one-sided. They nailed the introductions for the soon-to-be going solo heroes and it was just damn enjoyable. I'm sure there were flaws that plenty of critics and fanboys alike didn't fail to sweep under the rug, but compared to some of the other CBMs this year, those flaws were negligible.

Lastly, I can't say anything about Deadpool that hasn't already been said.

Suicide Squad I enjoyed quite a bit and thought a lot of the harsher critics were being really hyperbolic, but the conflict at the center of the film was really weak and too standard CBM for something that could've been a real departure for the medium. Editing deserves some blame for the final product, but they didn't edit in an entire conflict.

Exactly. :up:

Suicide Squad really should have been a darker movie with more shady, scheming and murkier characters. Instead we got a a cookie cutter movie that was afraid to go the whole hog and actually try to stand out on its own. Editing certainly didn't do the movie any favors but the story they were going for was always paper thin and kinda disappointing.

Yeah, MBJ was amazing in Creed, The Wire, Fruitvale Station and even Chronicle. Really looking forward to seeing him join the MCU.

Good gravy, I've watched The Wire a bunch of times and never realized he played Wallace until your post.

Last edited:
Definitely dont see him as blade but I gotta disagree with him being awful. Hes pretty damn good.

Micheal B. Jordan is cast in Black Panther, anyone still hoping he'll ever play Blade is probably out of luck. He's definitely one of those 'go to' actors, like Tom Hardy, that fans like to wishfully cast in every other role. It's pretty tiresome, regardless of who the hot-right-now actor is.

That said, I'm in full agreement with Greens and NotSoLongAgo. Jordan can definitely act very well. He's always good, if not excellent.

Yeah, MBJ was amazing in Creed, The Wire, Fruitvale Station and even Chronicle. Really looking forward to seeing him join the MCU.

*writes 1,000 word essay about why your opinions are terrible*

*looks up at the thread title*

Oh, right.

*deletes*

Different strokes for different folks. I don't see it.

Different strokes for different folks. I don't see it.
I'm still not entirely sure what quality acting is, I know I find MBJ to be pleasant to watch whenever he's on screen.

X2 is the most overrated superhero movie. Superman Returns is the most underrated.

The 2015 Vacation sequel/reboot was frickin' hilarious.

X2 is the most overrated superhero movie. Superman Returns is the most underrated.

Nope, most overrated is X-men First class. Not even the best x-men movie.

DOFP>FC. DOFP actually focuses on the good parts of First class and ignores the not so good stuff.

X-men First class is probably the most overrated superhero movie in existence.

I think First Class is about half of a great movie. The score is excellent. Erik's revenge mission in the first act was fantastic. Anything with Erik and Charles interacting was great too.

But then there's like... the cringiest supporting cast of teenage superheroes of any X-Men film with some of the worst dialogue and a complete waste of Emma Frost. All the bits with the actual First Class were pretty much terrible. And January Jones may have looked the part (and have a name like a Stan Lee character) but she was an awful Emma Frost. They could have replaced her with a store dummy and it would have had more character.

And not to mention the movie looks so cheap, like it was made for TV. The action scenes and visual effects look very poor at times. Vaughn is generally good with action, but x-men first class had a rushed production and it shows.

It kind of mind boggles me when people say this is the best x-men movie, and to me I feel like people over praise this movie more because of the director than the actual movie itself (Mathew Vaughn is a fan favorite director). The worst are the people who say first class is the only good one.

I get people love Vaughn right now, but first class really isn't that exceptional of a movie. In fact it's probably his weakest movie (I like his other films more).

SR is underrated indeed, but not the most underrated one.

Two "That X-Men movie is the most overrated superhero movie" opinions, and I disagree with both.

Superman Returns was just a weird movie and I don't really understand the strategy behind it. WB starts Batman from scratch, fully explores his origin, gives audiences a Bat-movie unlike any of the ones that came before.... and then does a Superman film deliberately echoing the movies 25 years prior.

I mean, even if they weren't trying to build a cohesive universe at that point, that's still a weird move.

no t no shade but i agree...I always found this film so boring and i usually love x~men. Charles is so annoying tbh :/

SR was a love letter to Donner. They didn't even really know how to bring the character back. They still kinda don't.

IMO, Man of Steel was a perfect chapter 1 to a new Superman. I just wish Snyder hadn't used chapter 2 to double down on all the aspects that were criticized the first time.

MoS was a strong start, and I wished to see better progress from there.

MoS was a hot mess sis. Did not enjoy and will not watch again imo

Oh wow, you're right. I never thought about it that way. You completely changed my mind, Ruth. :o

SR was a love letter to Donner. They didn't even really know how to bring the character back. They still kinda don't.

WB/DC was ready and willing to clear the slate and give us a new Superman origin. But then, an early draft of JJ Abrams' Flyby script leaked, and fans crapped on it.

Emulating Donner Supes was a reactionary decision.

Ujio sure got banned quick!

I didn't like Days of Future Past. It was sort of the final nail in the coffin for the X-men franchise for me. First Class was fun, and I certainly admire the film franchise's longevity, but the bad outweighs the good -at least too much for me to keep following it.

In fact it's probably his weakest movie (I like his other films more).
I keep shuffling between that or Kick-Ass as being his weakest comic book flick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"