State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really think a film needs a proper "deep meaning" to be considered one of the best ever made. Mad Max: Fury Road is a 2-hour movie about racing cars and it's one of the best action flicks of all time.

The Dark Knight does have a clear message, though.
I agree, but the "deeper meaning" of Fury Road is not necessarily expressed with words or in the story, even though there is a strong underlying social and environmental message, but more in the savage world it depicts. Like with a lot of great scifi, Miller is trying to show us where we could be heading, disguised as a relentless action movie.

I was actually agreeing with you, hence the mention of Bicycle Thieves.

The moral of that film is probably "life sucks" but because it uses its time effectively, I'd say it still counts as one of the best.

Dark Knight is probably the best "dramatic" superhero movie out there..but it's been more inflated than the Stay-Puft Marshmellow-Man on steroids.

Reddit's BEST film of all time? The top movie on twitter?

I wouldn't have minded if TDK got best picture. But...socially ranked higher than Lord of the Rings and the Godfather? Seriously?
I (still) love TDK, it's the film that prompted my joining the Hype:yay: That said it's not in my Top 10 films (In the Top 20 for sure.) Heath's performance, on the other hand, is in my top 5 fav performances, maybe even my favorite one.

On a side note, I recently rewatched Fury Road... in a time and place were there is no water available... WHY WASTE IT LIKE THIS??

madmax-water.jpg

^ True:woot:

This image reminds me of WWZ, which, as flawed as it is, is probably my favorite zombie film, along with Romero's first two entries, 28 Days Later and Shaun of the Dead. Also REC was pretty good, maybe the best found footage film with Trollhunter.

I agree, but the "deeper meaning" of Fury Road is not necessarily expressed with words or in the story, even though there is a strong underlying social and environmental message, but more in the savage world it depicts. Like with a lot of great scifi, Miller is trying to show us where we could be heading, disguised as a relentless action movie.

I (still) love TDK, it's the film that prompted my joining the Hype:yay: That said it's not in my Top 10 films (In the Top 20 for sure.) Heath's performance, on the other hand, is in my top 5 fav performances, maybe even my favorite one.

Heath's Joker can never be overrated.

The Dark Knight..is mostly good around him, but Nolan/Heath's Joker makes it unforgettable. But not better than Seven Samurai, of course ;)

I have a feeling the movie could underperform. The last film was a huge success because it was so highly anticipated for years and had the build-up of the first movie. And afterwards I feel like everyone got what they needed and didn't really need another one. Plus, I'm just not feeling the hype for it like the last one.
It's still not in the same blackhole as Solo, and if I was to believe wikipdia the Fallen Kingdom still hasn't been shown in the U.S., that's good luck for it.

Nope, my most unpopular opinion is still probably that I think Spider-Man 2 is the most overrated CBM ever.
I was thinking of a general rule. I don't think it's the most overrated CBM ever, but it is very overrated and too silly to deserve the 'One of the greatest CBMs' praise I see thrown its way on many sites.
The most overrated CBM has to be Batman Returns, stupid, stupid, corny, stupid, and has a dark tone with a very corny story... *shivers*. Somehow it managed to not fall below mediocre in the overall quality of the product.

On a side note, I recently rewatched Fury Road... in a time and place were there is no water available... WHY WASTE IT LIKE THIS??
madmax-water.jpg
I had that question burning in my mind for a while, it's not even a way I'd picture a dictator would tease his subjects.

Mercury Rising is a stupid movie, why would a government security facility be in charge of making a puzzle book? And why push hard to kill the family of the one kid that called their center but not do anything about every other copy of the puzzle book containing their phone number instead of killing a family of that kid?

This is not the unpopular opinion, the one I'm about to state is that Bruce Willis did not deserve a razzie for his performance there cause he actually did fine. I thought he performed well in that stupid movie Armageddon as well.

-After the next Bond I really don't think we need another one. I don't mean another one with Craig I mean at all. I mean we'll still get them, but I think the character has done his part

I don't think we need another Bond now.

I don't think anyone needs a new Bond movie, or Lord of the Rings television series, or a Watchmen TV series, or another Terminator movie after T2 awkwardly continuing the story, or another X-Men movie after Dark Phoenix, or a Jason Bourne movie.....

I think Brad Bird did a much better job with Ratatouille than The Incredibles.

I don't know what it is, but something was just lacking about The Incredibles. Maybe my hype levels for that film was just too high, but I expected something amazing, but instead felt like the movie was just mediocre. Syndrome was a great villain, but I just didn't care for the film as a whole. (It had its moments though.)

The final battle with the giant ball robot was dull and disappointing.

Rataoutille was much more engaging to me. I thought the characters had more charm to them. There was more humor and the scenery was really gorgeous to look at.

I think Black Panther and Wonder Woman are horribly bland and mediocre superhero movies.

My mind keeps blocking any desire I have of watching most of the Pixar films.

I think Brad Bird did a much better job with Ratatouille than The Incredibles.

I don't know what it is, but something was just lacking about The Incredibles. Maybe my hype levels for that film was just too high, but I expected something amazing, but instead felt like the movie was just mediocre. Syndrome was a great villain, but I just didn't care for the film as a whole. (It had its moments though.)

The final battle with the giant ball robot was dull and disappointing.

Rataoutille was much more engaging to me. I thought the characters had more charm to them. There was more humor and the scenery was really gorgeous to look at.
Both are classics, but while The Incredibles is pure entertaining, Ratatouille is much much more engaging with some of the best lines from any movie.

A good story can have different elements that belong to different tones, so I can't understand the obsession with a singular tone for a movie or a show.

Finding Dory was just..ehh. The characters unlearn the life lessons they learned in the first installment to conveniently provide development for the sequel. But it's cute, so why nitpick, right? :/

The Incredibles II was a cut above FD, but did not feel like a film that needed to be made as late as it did. The raccoon was more engaging than the villain..the heroes didn't really develop much. There was not enough Edna, and the plot felt both less grand and less personal at the same time.

If THE INCREDIBLES felt like an "all out blockbuster spectacle", the Incredibles 2 feels more like a spin-off of its own movie than a proper sequel.

"THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF THE PARR FAMILY" would be more like it.

For all my gripes about Toy Story 3..it felt like a self-contained movie. FD feels like a nostalgia-cash grab, and The Incredibles 2 feels like...you know that feeling when you took the cap off your favorite soda and there's just enough fizz to remind you how much better it was properly carbonated?

Its got excellent animation, the live action experience that Brad Bird had gave it a sense of weightiness not found in the medium, it rips off Mr Mom, but it does it well, the supers are great once together..It's just..

I think the characters are so great that you could put them in a mundane plot and it would still feel serviceable..and I think that's what's happened with part II.

There's no "WHATJUSTHAPPENED?" moment. It's all just..well, that was fun.

With some narrative juggling, you could make it so that Mr. Deaver wants to use the ScreenSlaver as a ruse to bring out the true superheroes, but that Evyln sabotaged the technology. That way, you could have a scene in which Deaver has to choose between his sister's distrust of supers, and his own beliefs in their importance.

Sure there are monologues about technology and the importance of the law, but they feel there as a construction to distract from the thin characterizations of the main characters.

All this to say, it's good. It's not..incredible. 7/10 [My head spins at the 5 star and 4/4 reviews, of which there are quite a few.]

Last edited:
Hereditary was all hype and a massive, massive disappointment of a film. It had some good technical craft on display, but the story was hot dog**** and the ending didn't feel earned whatsoever.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park is a better Kong film than the 2005 version.

I don't think anyone needs a new Bond movie, or Lord of the Rings television series, or a Watchmen TV series, or another Terminator movie after T2 awkwardly continuing the story, or another X-Men movie after Dark Phoenix, or a Jason Bourne movie.....

While I’ll always give a new Bond film a chance and I’m interested in the LOTR TV series as long as they don’t attempt to retell the trilogy, I agree with the others. That Watchmen show really has me scratching my head. Apocalypse killed any interest I had in seeing the Singerverse X-Men ever again, they should have stopped making Terminator movies after part 2, and there doesn’t seem to be anywhere else for Jason Bourne to go.

That last one is a shame; I was really looking forward to the last movie but it was really low on intrigue. If Bourne was taking on someone other than corrupt government agencies, maybe I’d be interested but that franchise just seems to be spinning its wheels. Still, I’d take my chances on another Matt Damon Bourne film before I’d ever sit through another Jeremy Renner one. Legacy was so bad.

The X-men films are way more interesting than the MCU films.

Unless MCU introduces time travel and multiverse nonsense in the next Avengers, then we'll see

I straight up don't think The Piano is a good movie. It makes me feel icky, and it seems like it's more of a typical tale of a man essentially overpowering a woman's feelings.

Hunter did a great job, and the score is interesting, and the cinematography exceptional. It just lacks a soul, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"