Supergirl Supergirl General Discussion Thread - - - Part 12

Clark Kent became Superman at the end of Smallville, but the execution was controversial with the CGI, close-ups with CGI cape, and shirt rip. If we get those things with Tom in Crisis, then as Primal Slayer pointed out it's more about him not wanting to be Superman than earning it and anything else.

As for as the trending comment, it's Brandon Routh's KC Superman I was referring to that has more buzz.

I would laugh (but still do a face palm) if every scene of Tom Welling's Superman in Crisis is still CGI or from a distance, and the only time we see his face is in extreme closeups when you can't see the costume. What a complete fail! That last episode was the pits!

I would laugh (but still do a face palm) if every scene of Tom Welling's Superman in Crisis is still CGI or from a distance, and the only time we see his face is in extreme closeups when you can't see the costume. What a complete fail! That last episode was the pits!

I will laugh real hard myself as well compared to Tyler and Brandon doing the actual live-action Superman work. I can imagine our mod Flickchick85 laughing at this as well.

I will laugh real hard myself as well compared to Tyler and Brandon doing the actual live-action Superman work. I can imagine our mod Flickchick85 laughing at this as well.

I feel like Tom Welling was that generation's Mike Colter in Luke Cage. Colter was reluctant to embody any of the characteristics of Luke Cage: no physical fighting, no typical Luke Cage personality, no costume etc:

Mike Colter Describes His Initial Concern With Playing Luke Cage - MCUExchange

“I was so against it,I revisit the feeling I had, that first initial look at the character, trying to figure out the research and the character, who this is guy this, and I’m like, ‘I don’t want any part of this.’ I couldn’t think of anything that I didn’t want to do more. I didn’t want to do anything physical, a role where it relied on power and all the stuff like that. And also, I didn’t know how the character would be written, I didn’t know what this character was going to be like. It just seemed limiting. I just thought, ‘What could I do with this?’ I hadn’t seen any material yet. The idea of the character made me cringe.”

“Everybody has an idea of how the character is going to be, and I’m like, this is how I’m going to do it and this is it, take it or leave it. I’m not saying that’s what I said, but I felt like if they were to try and push me in a certain way, that I would’ve walked away from it. There was only one way that I thought this character should be portrayed that I wasn’t going to compromise on.”

All that's left now is to get Tom Welling and Mike Colter in a superhero crossover/ team up together refusing to do anything superheroic or wear any costumes. :o

That's a nice comparison between Tom Welling and Mike Colter. I wouldn't be surprised if Tom felt the exact same way about Superman and why he didn't wear the suit in the finale, along with likely not wearing the suit for the Crisis compared to Tyler and Brandon.

Clark Kent became Superman at the end of Smallville, but the execution was controversial with the CGI, close-ups with CGI cape, and shirt rip. If we get those things with Tom in Crisis, then as Primal Slayer pointed out it's more about him not wanting to be Superman. It has nothing to do with earning it.

That doesn't make sense. If his character is shown in a suit—in any form—then it establishes him as Superman. If anything, not wearing the suit on his body, but having his character appear as if he is, suggests Welling is fine with people associating him with Superman. There were times in the past when Welling was even willing to play the character on the big screen, so I doubt that remained a concern for him. He may just not want to wear the suit...now. Why? Because, unlike Routh, he didn't have months to get into shape to wear it, and there wasn't a long time for anyone to make him a decent one. He is also likely only going to be in the crossover briefly; reportedly he returned home to LA after his day at the farm set. He has an infant son and just got done a pretty long TV series shoot abroad. He's not as close to the production as Durance, who played Alura and lives in Vancouver, or Tyler and Routh who are established CW DCTV characters.

Back when Smallville was originally airing, though, they had different problems. The head of the network, Dawn Ostroff, wasn't supportive of the show. The budget was incredibly strained the final season, and for the finale, both because of paying Rosenbaum to appear, and because the network wasn't very generous. They had to reduce their shooting period for new episodes down to just 7 days just to stretch the money. In addition, the finale took place during a different time for WB/DC. Unlike now, when they're more flexible with the various versions of the characters, they were strict about duplicates.

Early in the final season they had implied that Clark's suit was going to be Routh's (i.e. Donner/SR Superman), which Smallville aligned with most, but by the end of the year Man of Steel and the New 52 were about to occur with both characters likely wearing different suits. Instead of showing Welling's Clark in a clear version of his own suit or a previous version, and to honor the show's mission as a prequel, they hinted at the suit so as to allow one to project onto the end of Smallville's origin story any version's future. That worked well for Welling who genuinely felt that to the show's premise was rooted in Clark's journey and earning the suit more than him being Superman and wearing it.

As for as the trending comment, it's Brandon Routh's KC Superman I was referring to that has more buzz.

Not really. Welling's name trended on Twitter the whole day he was announced to return. Plus, Routh is in a different position, because he was actually a bona fide movie star as Superman at one point, and Kingdom Come is, regrettably, very famous, iconic, and popular. To put it into further perspective, I run a Tumblr for Superman and Lois Lane and the posts I've made about Routh have received far fewer notes than those related to Welling and Durance. I think there's a lot of enthusiasm for both, which is lovely to see.

That doesn't make sense. If his character is shown in a suit—in any form—then it establishes him as Superman. If anything, not wearing the suit on his body, but having his character appear as if he is, suggests Welling is fine with people associating him with Superman. There were times in the past when Welling was even willing to play the character on the big screen, so I doubt that remained a concern for him. He may just not want to wear the suit...now. Why? Because, unlike Routh, he didn't have months to get into shape to wear it, and there wasn't a long time for anyone to make him a decent one. He is also likely only going to be in the crossover briefly; reportedly he returned home to LA after his day at the farm set. He has an infant son and just got done a pretty long TV series shoot abroad. He's not as close to the production as Durance, who played Alura and lives in Vancouver, or Tyler and Routh who are established CW DCTV characters.

Back when Smallville was originally airing, though, they had different problems. The head of the network, Dawn Ostroff, wasn't supportive of the show. The budget was incredibly strained the final season, and for the finale, both because of paying Rosenbaum to appear, and because the network wasn't very generous. They had to reduce their shooting period for new episodes down to just 7 days just to stretch the money. In addition, the finale took place during a different time for WB/DC. Unlike now, when they're more flexible with the various versions of the characters, they were strict about duplicates.

Early in the final season they had implied that Clark's suit was going to be Routh's (i.e. Donner/SR Superman), which Smallville aligned with most, but by the end of the year Man of Steel and the New 52 were about to occur with both characters likely wearing different suits. Instead of showing Welling's Clark in a clear version of his own suit or a previous version, and to honor the show's mission as a prequel, they hinted at the suit so as to allow one to project onto the end of Smallville's origin story any version's future. That worked well for Welling who genuinely felt that to the show's premise was rooted in Clark's journey and earning the suit more than him being Superman and wearing it.

Not really. Welling's name trended on Twitter the whole day he was announced to return. Plus, Routh is in a different position, because he was actually a bona fide movie star as Superman at one point, and Kingdom Come is, regrettably, very famous, iconic, and popular. To put it into further perspective, I run a Tumblr for Superman and Lois Lane and the posts I've made about Routh have received far fewer notes than those related to Welling and Durance. I think there's a lot of enthusiasm for both, which is lovely to see.

It's why I said earlier that Smallville Clark became Superman, but not in the way most were hoping like having Tom wearing the suit. If they're going to have that same thing with the CGI, close-ups with cape, and shirt rip in the Crisis compared to Tyler and Brandon, I'd rather they not blow the budget up for that and just leave Smallville Clark as he is.

Yes, I'm aware of the reports that Tom left to return to LA after doing the Smallville reunion with Lois since I posted it earlier in the Crisis thread. Only thing we don't know is whether Tom will return for more scenes or not.

Routh is still trending as Kingdom Come Superman as I've seen his promo photo everywhere on social media.

None of us should be surprised if Tom Welling doesn't wear a Superman costume in the crossover due the fact he said in the past that he was more interested in Clark's journey into becoming Superman than Clark actually being Superman and that he wasn't a Superman fan. Tbh I'm more shocked that he said yes to being Clark again as he seemed reluctant into returning for the role

None of us should be surprised if Tom Welling doesn't wear a Superman costume in the crossover due the fact he said in the past that he was more interested in Clark's journey into becoming Superman than Clark actually being Superman and that he wasn't a Superman fan. Tbh I'm more shocked that he said yes to being Clark again as he seemed reluctant into returning for the role

I wonder if there's going to be a passing of the torch from one TV Superman (Tom Welling) to another TV Superman (Tyler Hoechlin) in the Crisis.

I wonder if there's going to be a passing of the torch from one TV Superman (Tom Welling) to another TV Superman (Tyler Hoechlin) in the Crisis.
Atm we don't know if Tyler and Tom will have a scene together but I do hope that it will be the case. However I am confident that Supergirl's Superman will have a few scenes with Routh's Superman and that Routh's Superman will likely die in the crossover which means he will be the one that will somewhat pass the torch to Supergirl's Superman.

Atm we don't know if Tyler and Tom will have a scene together but I do hope that it will be the case. However I am confident that Supergirl's Superman will have a few scenes with Routh's Superman and that Routh's Superman will likely die in the crossover which means he will be the one that will somewhat pass the torch to Supergirl's Superman.

I'm betting on Tyler interacting with Brandon more than with Tom. I wonder if both Tom and Brandon's Supermen are going to interact. I'm still hoping for all three Supermen to be together.

Can we please move non Supergirl related posts away from the Supergirl General Discussion thread. There are two already threads within the Supergirl section DC TALK: General discussion and Crisis on Infinite Earths - Supergirl Edition that would be IMO a more appropriate places for discussions about the Supermen. Better yet there’s also this thread DC TV Series - CRISIS on Infinite Earths - 5 show crossover which is specifically all about the crossover. There’s no shortage of places to discuss everything related to CoIE, can we please keep this one about Supergirl.

Last edited:
Routh is still trending as Kingdom Come Superman as I've seen his promo photo everywhere on social media.

Although it doesn't reflect social media, if you check Google Trends the data suggests Welling received more attention when it was announced that he would join the crossover than Routh did when the KC photo was released. Both men's names trended on Twitter the whole day of their respective press releases, so to speak, and currently they are more or less equal to each other in terms of interest. The only difference I see is that Welling tends to get more attention during times when big announcements aren't being made. So, I doubt your claim that Routh is getting more buzz and think it's cool that both of them are getting this kind of fanfare, as I love them both.

Although it doesn't reflect social media, if you check Google Trends the data suggests Welling received more attention when it was announced that he would join the crossover than Routh did when the KC photo was released. Both men's names trended on Twitter the whole day of their respective press releases, so to speak, and currently they are more or less equal to each other in terms of interest. The only difference I see is that Welling tends to get more attention during times when big announcements aren't being made. So, I doubt your claim that Routh is getting more buzz and think it's cool that both of them are getting this kind of fanfare, as I love them both.

We’ll have to agree to disagree as Routh’s KC Superman is still buzzing.

TwLaUlg.jpg

Hypable just posted a very positive spoiler-free review of the premiere: Supergirl season 5 premiere screener secrets: Diving into the betrayal

All in all, Supergirl season 5, episode 1 is solid. Probably one of my top 10 favorite episodes of the series, honestly. It’s emotional, like the season 3 premiere, but feels more natural. Regardless of the other characters, Kara is still very clearly the star and has much to do, both as Supergirl and as Kara Danvers. It seems like the focus will be split.

However, Lena is still given a huge role and feels like a key player now that she’s in on the secret. With The Monitor presumably saving Lex, I’m excited to see how that will impact everything going on between Kara and Lena.

I’m a bit surprised that there was no tie or tease to Crisis on Infinite Earths, but I expect the writers are waiting until it comes closer to bring the Supergirl characters in the loop. Most of the set-up will probably occur on Arrow season 8.

Season 3 had my favorite premiere to date, so this is encouraging. Also surprised at no Crisis tease, but I'm kinda glad, tbh. The show had enough to unpack from the finale already.

Hypable just posted a very positive spoiler-free review of the premiere: Supergirl season 5 premiere screener secrets: Diving into the betrayal

Season 3 had my favorite premiere to date, so this is encouraging. Also surprised at no Crisis tease, but I'm kinda glad, tbh. The show had enough to unpack from the finale already.
I'm liking what this article said. I'm truly looking forward to the "fight for Lena's soul" and exploring the good and the bad technology brings to our lives. I'm still not hyped for CoIE so I'm perfectly happy to leave the setup to Arrow and from what I've heard a bit in Flash.

I'm glad they're not dragging out Kara's secrets from Lena anymore. I can't wait this weekend when Supergirl and Batwoman premiere.

Interesting article on the new suit which took almost four months to design. There were about four designs before arriving at the final version. The team experimented with adding more red elements to the mainly blue suit, but some ideas were scrapped because the designs resembled a 'band leader'. The only thing Melissa asked for was a lighter cape. She's not known to be a demanding actor so IMO if she specifically asked it was important. The new suit easily slips on and has a zipper in the back, I recall Melissa saying she could get into the old suit without help but not out of it. the new suit is made of printed Eurojersey.
'Supergirl' star Melissa Benoist's new suit with pants took nearly 4 months to complete. Here's how it came together.

I wish they'd release photos of these other designs so we can see exactly what they mean by her looking like a band leader and if that was really the case.

Already far too many guest stars.... it's becoming one long cameo.

I wish they'd release photos of these other designs so we can see exactly what they mean by her looking like a band leader and if that was really the case.
Why? If that was their feeling about the other designs it was their call to work on it further. They dont really owe anyone an explanation nor do they need to prove what they state as their explanation of the stages of the costume.

From the CW's press release for the season:

In season five, Supergirl faces threats, both new and ancient. National City becomes enthralled with addictive virtual reality technologies created by CatCo’s charming-but-secretive new owner, Andrea Rojas (Julie Gonzalo), which enable people to bury their heads in the proverbial sand. As Kara uses the power of the press to try to expose this danger, she must contend with challenges put up by rival reporter William Dey (Staz Nair), renegade Martian Malefic J’onzz (Phil LaMarr), a shadowy organization called Leviathan, and the shocking return of Lex Luthor (Jon Cryer) who, in addition to his plot for world domination, seeks to claim the soul of Supergirl’s best friend — and his sister — Lena. With humanity choosing to lose itself in technology, can Supergirl save the world yet again?

Not too surprising, but I guess he ain't just coming back for Crisis! Also, when they described this season as a "battle for Lena's soul," I guess now we know who Kara will literally be "battling" against for it. She and Lex are gonna be the angel and devil on Lena's shoulders. Which makes the last scene of Lena in the premiere with the two watches (Lex's and Supergirl's) even more appropriate.

Nice season 5 synopsis, but I find it odd that it's released after the premiere. They usually release the season synopsis before the season starts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"