Supergirl Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ You don't like female-driven 'hero shows'? Because that's what this is. It's Flash/Arrow with a female lead and Serialized Procedural elements, with heavy influence from iZombie and Buffy the Vampire Slayer thrown in as well.

I'd say Brandon Routh could stand in, but he is a working actor and playing another superhero now. Tom Welling is probably free as usual ;)

^ You don't like female-driven 'hero shows'? Because that's what this is. It's Flash/Arrow with a female lead and Serialized Procedural elements, with heavy influence from iZombie and Buffy the Vampire Slayer thrown in as well.
It may be that it's not because of it being female-driven, but there certainly seems to be a tone that the show is trying to get a female general audience for sure. Can't deny it has that Devil Wears Prada type look in some moments.

tom-welling-ashley-greene-6-bullets-to-hell-premiere-05.jpg

Hire me! :hehe:

Given that Cat Grant's characterization here is based on that of Anna Wintour (who directly inspired the bitca boss in The Devil Wears Prada), with a side of Jennifer Lopez, it's understandable that there'd be a TDWP-esque vibe to the CatCo stuff, but since CatCo is a multimedia conglomerate company (in the vein of Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation), I fail to see how having a TDWP-esque vibe to the CatCo stuff makes that aspect of the show exclusively tailored towards a female audience.

No, just not into this type of show. It's like a Ugly Betty/Devil Wear's Prada/ SuperHero show. Not interested in something with that tone. I like female driven shows like The Good Wife, or Broad City, or Orange is the New Black.

Given that Cat Grant's characterization here is based on that of Anna Wintour (who directly inspired the bitca boss in The Devil Wears Prada), with a side of Jennifer Lopez, it's understandable that there'd be a TDWP-esque vibe to the CatCo stuff, but since CatCo is a multimedia conglomerate company (in the vein of Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation), I fail to see how having a TDWP-esque vibe to the CatCo stuff makes that aspect of the show exclusively tailored towards a female audience.
I think it's hard to deny they are going after a female audience that may not generally be a superhero fan. It is understandable cause the demands of ratings on a larger network, compared to a little one like CW is totally different.

My wife, girly sorority sister, absolutely hated the trailer. She and I, like others on this board, thought it was like the Black Widow SNL trailer and she was just sure this was a joke. I'm holding out hope that this is just what the trailer did with the source material to market it, but right now it looks a little too much like a rom com.

Special effects look great, I'm glad we get reference to Superman, and I'm excited to see what villains are explored, but scenes of Supergirl peppy, smiling, and punching villains at the same time were a bit worrisome.

Supergirl: Her only weakness... is a broken heart.

Totally expected something like that to flash across the screen at the end.

No, just not into this type of show. It's like a Ugly Betty/Devil Wear's Prada/ SuperHero show. Not interested in something with that tone. I like female driven shows like The Good Wife, or Broad City, or Orange is the New Black.
That's what I thought you meant :up:

The trailer reminded me of the SNL Black Widow trailer, I might give it a couple of eps but it seems too much like a rom com in tone for me.

The trailer reminded me of the SNL Black Widow trailer, I might give it a couple of eps but it seems too much like a rom com in tone for me.
A lot of people are saying that :eek: That could be a bad sign. I saw some good moments scattered throughout though. She looks like she will play the part well, even if the tone may be more for general viewers (likely a focus on getting a young female audience too) than fanboys/fangirls.

funny you should mention that, cuz there was that little jab at Bill O'Reilly at the beginning.

which, I hope was just a one-time joke line and not actually a recurring thing in the show (jabs at conservatives, Fox News hosts, etc.).

I don't really want politics or a left-wing agenda ( or even a right wing agenda ) to seep into the show.

conservatives watch these shows, too, you know. :o :oldrazz:

This. Female driven is a plus, but that trailer was too teenage girly for me. Kinda like when I walked by a guy on the way to dinner last night with his girlfriend laying on his lap and another girl across the table and the girls were saying things like, "Oh... ma... god!" and "For serious." That type of thing just annoys me.

Are there conservatives under the age of 50 now a days? I thought we all start out as democrats, and either remain or turn as we age. :hehe:

right now it looks a little too much like a rom com.

I honestly don't understand how people can look at the trailer and think 'Romantic Comedy'. Kara and Wynn's little flirting banter takes up like less than 10 seconds of the trailer, and the rest of their interactions in it are a carbon copy, more or less, of Oliver/Felicity and Barry/Caitlin (i.e. hero and geek-oriented sidekick), and the rest of the trailer is focused on the archetypal 'hero's journey' aspects of Kara becoming the person she'd always been meant to be instead of continuing to hide and be less than herself.

there was that little jab at Bill O'Reilly at the beginning.

Which I thought was hilarious, not only because I can't stand the man, but also just in terms of being a nice pop culture/current events reference. :)

I honestly don't understand how people can look at the trailer and think 'Romantic Comedy'. Kara and Wynn's little flirting banter takes up like less than 10 seconds of the trailer, and the rest of their interactions in it are a carbon copy, more or less, of Oliver/Felicity and Barry/Caitlin (i.e. hero and geek-oriented sidekick), and the rest of the trailer is focused on the archetypal 'hero's journey' aspects of Kara becoming the person she'd always been meant to be instead of continuing to hide and be less than herself.

Funny thing, it's my wife the rom com lover that said it, but the music is what does it in. I think if you took the same footage and used something a little more serious in tone and the impression we'd get would be something completely different.

I'm holding out hope, but she's completely turned off. Out of curiosity, how many in this conversation are girls and what are your thoughts?

I'm in my 20's and an Obama supporter, but I have picked up some fiscally conservative views. Is this a sign of early old age? :eek:

Which I thought was hilarious, not only because I can't stand the man, but also just in terms of being a nice pop culture/current events reference. :)

and that's fair.

I like O'Reilly ( for the most part ). And I like Fox News.

I just don't want to see constant right wing bashing/jabs. If you're going to do that, be equal opportunity and take jabs at both sides.

but if it's so obviously one sided, that can be a turn off. mainly because it's not really needed in this type of show.

leave political bias out of the show, unless it has something directly to do with story at hand.

you know what I mean?

Fox News and O'reilly/Hannity are obviously entertainment. The problem is when their main base of viewers consider everything they say as the gospel. Scary

I definitely cracked a smile. I swing more on the liberal side myself and I can't stand a lot of what I see on stations like MSNBC that are catered to the left. Being conservative, I imagine, doesn't guarantee jumping on the Fox News bandwagon.

Funny thing, it's my wife the rom com lover that said it, but the music is what does it in. I think if you took the same footage and used something a little more serious in tone and the impression we'd get would be something completely different.

I'm holding out hope, but she's completely turned off. Out of curiosity, how many in this conversation are girls and what are your thoughts?

The music did have that bubbly tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back