Supergirl Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's cheaper to pay her for whenever she appears as opposed for a set amount of episodes that she may not even appear in.

Oh, so this is Supergirl. It does somehow feel right here alongside the likes of the other CW DC shows. The whole 'rah rah girl power' isn't laid on AS thick as some made it out to be, though it's only two episodes in so maybe it comes later. It's there, but not as bad as I expected.

It is no more than what you saw...and it is mostly Cat, which is to be expected from a woman that had to claw her way to the top.

And just wait, the stories really kick in with "Livewire"....

It is no more than what you saw...and it is mostly Cat, which is to be expected from a woman that had to claw her way to the top.

And just wait, the stories really kick in with "Livewire"....

This show really did improve almost every episode, was great to see the show find its feet and grow as it went on, I hope a lot of people that dropped it early on decide to give it another shot.

I loved season 1, I think after about 5-6 episodes the show realised what it was. But the Girl Power thing got old fast, they really do need to curb that in season 2 cause sometimes it just came off whiny.

I loved season 1, I think after about 5-6 episodes the show realised what it was. But the Girl Power thing got old fast, they really do need to curb that in season 2 cause sometimes it just came off whiny.

I can't remember off the top of my head what line it was, but they did pull one of those lines out of last night's rerun of the pilot. I just remember when that line came up, I was like......oh they edited that out....

I think some are coming from a different perspective than others....myself as a woman, knowing what a woman like Cat had to do to get where she is, it is very normal for her to say the lines that she did...it was natural to me.

You mean the one where Cat said said something like if you don't perceive Supergirl as anything less than spectacular, isn't the problem, you? I think she took Kara's Millennial Feminist drivel and fired back with some LIBERTARIAN wisdom.

By the way BH/HHH, there are some things that need to be done to improve on things.

1) Keep the relationship between Kara and Alex strong. Melissa and Chyler are best friends online and the love they show during their appearances...IT'S REAL! The sisterly bond is the core of the show.

2) Emotions. Keep the adventures soaring high and the edge of your seat action to create emotions.

3) Fun. Since the show is now on the CW, they can perhaps go for a more comic book feel like the other Berlanti-Verse shows. The crossover could be that fun factor, especially between The Flash and Supergirl just like last season's Worlds Finest, my favorite Season 1 ep (because it was JUST...SO...FUN!) I think the new trailer/promo that just dropped has shown it.

4) AND MOST IMPORTANT...ease back on the Girl Power stuff. It seems a bit forced as if feminists were writing some of these eps. And given the political instability these days I don't want Hollywood or H'Wood North (Vancouver) to drive the narrative, but that's just me as someone who doesn't take entertainment as gospel, just something to watch.

Last edited:
I finished episode 9 last night. I'm really enjoying this show so far.

You mean the one where Cat said said something like if you don't perceive Supergirl as anything less than spectacular, isn't the problem, you? I think she took Kara's Millennial Feminist drivel and fired back with some LIBERTARIAN wisdom.

By the way BH/HHH, there are some things that need to be done to improve on things.

1) Keep the relationship between Kara and Alex strong. Melissa and Chyler are best friends online and the love they show during their appearances...IT'S REAL! The sisterly bond is the core of the show.

2) Emotions. Keep the adventures soaring high and the edge of your seat action to create emotions.

3) Fun. Since the show is now on the CW, they can perhaps go for a more comic book feel like the other Berlanti-Verse shows. The crossover could be that fun factor, especially between The Flash and Supergirl just like last season's Worlds Finest, my favorite Season 1 ep (because it was JUST...SO...FUN!) I think the new trailer/promo that just dropped has shown it.

4) AND MOST IMPORTANT...ease back on the Girl Power stuff. It seems a bit forced as if feminists were writing some of these eps. And given the political instability these days I don't want Hollywood or H'Wood North (Vancouver) to drive the narrative, but that's just me as someone who doesn't take entertainment as gospel, just something to watch.

:up:

The BIGGEST DIFFERENCE I saw last night as I watched the 2 re-runs of Supergirl on the CW was NOOOOOO FREAKING DRUG COMMERCIALS. OMG, that is all that is on CBS. They are either advertising one of their shows, or erectile dysfunction medicine...... :(

The BIGGEST DIFFERENCE I saw last night as I watched the 2 re-runs of Supergirl on the CW was NOOOOOO FREAKING DRUG COMMERCIALS. OMG, that is all that is on CBS. They are either advertising one of their shows, or erectile dysfunction medicine...... :(

Why are you sad then? You want adverts for erectile dysfunction?

love it....

Totally LUV it!

Consider the common age of most CBS viewers...:hmr:

Why are you sad then? You want adverts for erectile dysfunction?

I was sad watching CBS with those stupid commercials.....I'm happy now that I just saw normal commercials on the CW. :)

The rerun did pretty good ratings wise. 1.6/0.7

That was one of the more mindnumbingly stupid things Cat has said. In retrospect it makes more sense since Cat's brand of feminism is a little outdated but they clearly didn't have that in mind when they wrote the pilot/tried to justify the name.

I would hope that these episodes are written by feminists as otherwise that would mean that people who believe women are inferior still exist.

Yes, I think there are a few feminists on the writing staff...

As for myself, I haven't minded the quips since that is exactly how I would expect someone like Cat to talk.....BUT, if easing back on them would make stop some of the complaining about them, then that is fine with me. :)

The problem is that they were approaching gender equality with the force of a freight train. There was no finesse or subtlety. And I understand why they decided to approach it that way (not least of all because none of Berlanti's superhero shows are particularly subtle regarding their themes or ideas), but it was often grating. I believe in gender equality 1000%, but the way SG went about expressing the sentiment at times was very elementary (IMO).

I think that is again perception....and that is fine, people are going to have different perceptions.

To me, it wasn't forced at all, I hear that stuff all the time in my daily life...it is normal to me. BUT, I do understand that it was quite a shock to some that have not heard it in such a way before....

Edit: and now that I read my other post up there, it kind of comes off as harsh....I didn't mean it that way.

IF, toning it down will make it more enjoyable for some, then I'm all for that....maybe that is how I should have put that. lol

As far as feminist outlooks on comic book shows, I think there were three approaches

-I feel like with Agent Carter they set out to make a show about female empowerment without a really good concept behind it. It's like their entire thesis was feminism, then tried to shoehorn in a show around it

-With Supergirl I feel like they just set out to make a superhero show, then crammed feminist tones into it in the least sublte way possible

-With Jessica Jones I feel like they had a great story to tell with great characters, and it just happened to echo and highlight certain feminist issues as it went about it

I think Jessica Jones went about it the best way while Agent Carter went about it the worst way. To me Agent Carter is the most hollow, boring comic book show in recent memory. Supergirl got a lot better as it went along because the characters became humanized rather than just analogs for sophomoric interpretations of feminist rhetoric.

EDIT:
Forgot about iZombie, which again I think takes a much more natural and intelligent approach

The problem is that they were approaching gender equality with the force of a freight train. There was no finesse or subtlety. And I understand why they decided to approach it that way (not least of all because none of Berlanti's superhero shows are particularly subtle regarding their themes or ideas), but it was often grating. I believe in gender equality 1000%, but the way SG went about expressing the sentiment at times was very elementary (IMO).

Yes spot on.

I think when you do this you actually create the reverse effect aswell. You bring to much attention to it.

Well, Jessica Jones' original run in Alias is arguably much deeper than Peggy Carter's backstory and there's more freedom to explore not just with Netflix, but with Jessica as a character versus Peggy. Agent Carter, I feel, didn't lay on the feminism angle as thick as some say since the attitude towards women felt indicative of the time period in the 1940s. Less so with Season Two.

And the issue with Agent Carter tackling inequality is that, because we've seen Peggy already be a badass in Captain America: The First Avenger, she should already be seen as an equal by her coworkers because of what she's done during the war.

Though I'd disagree about Agent Carter being the most hollow or boring comic book show in recent memory. Agents of SHIELD is somehow still on the air, after all, and Heaven knows no one would miss that show if it also got axed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"