Superman's Role in Justice League

I still have yet to see an explanation as to why Superman has to be predominantly featured in JL, along with any other character. It always seems to come back to "...because Superman." I get that he's typically the leader, but that doesn't really tell me anything. You can't define a word with that same word.

I say this as someone that desperately wants more Superman.

Well, for one fairly simplistic and obvious reason - how about because he's one of the core characters in the original Justice League team in the comics? If they want the live action JL to be in any way faithful to its source, Superman needs to be on the team.

It would be like dropping Iron Man or Thor from the Avengers - core characters who were in the original team inception in 1963 - it would feel like a missing limb.

There are of course numerous other reasons. The vast power he brings to the team, his inspirational leadership qualities, his dogged determination to do good, and and so on. Whether you believe Snyder's version of Superman could inspire people like the comics version is another argument altogether, and remains to be seen once he comes back from the dead - he might be different to before.

but this Superman remains an unintelligent, easily dominated man with a thin personality on screen, and this has been whined about extensively

That was not the topic at hand which I was discussing about.The discussion was not about Superman's personality or intelligence in the movies here,the discussion was whether he was handled negatively.He was not.Superman did the right things in the movie,he was moral,he saved people,he fought for the poor and oppressed as Clark,and was respectful to the government.The media and senate viewed Superman in a negative light due to Lex's manipulation,not due to Supes actions.Thats the key point here.I was arguing that superman's actions were not negative in this film,but rather positive and noble.

but this Superman remains an unintelligent, easily dominated man with a thin personality on screen, and this has been whined about extensively

I don't think so, especially after watching the Ultimate Cut. In UC, Clark Kent is given enough scenes to show his investigative reporter side, which hardly makes him look unintelligent or someone who has a thin personality. He comes across as a well developed character.

That's good to hear. I'll have to give the UC a shot. I hated how Clark was handled in the theatrical version. He barely did ANYTHING other than follow Bruce around at a party until he got distracted. That's an ace reporter if I've ever seen one.

That's good to hear. I'll have to give the UC a shot. I hated how Clark was handled in the theatrical version. He barely did ANYTHING other than follow Bruce around at a party until he got distracted. That's an ace reporter if I've ever seen one.

We see a lot of Clark as a reporter in the UC.You will like it :)

I wouldn't say a lot, but enough to make him look like a normal reporter. Same for Lois.

Between Lois and Clark, there's a lot of reporter stuff all together. It creates an interesting level of intrigue that was missing from the theatrical cut. It also just makes them seem way more competent at their jobs, Clark particularly.

Cool. I hope that they do find a way to bring back Clark in JL as well as Superman too. IMO, Clark is nearly as iconic as Superman. It's not an alter ego like Thor's Donald Blake that can just be discarded.

Cool. I hope that they do find a way to bring back Clark in JL as well as Superman too. IMO, Clark is nearly as iconic as Superman. It's not an alter ego like Thor's Donald Blake that can just be discarded.

Absolutely.Now that Jenny and Perry probably know about Clark/Superman thing,maybe they can make a coverup story for him like he went undercover or something.

Yeah, I'm greedy. BvS UE made me want a Man of Steel sequel even more. If Justice League does well I'm hoping and praying that's the first sequel they announce.

Clark, Lois, Perry, Jenny, **** even bring Lombard back. Introduce Kara in JL to get her in there too. A Man of Tomorrow film needs to happen. Please WB.

Yes,MOS sequel please :)

I remember someone(was it Roven?) who said the only reason they didnt announce a MOS sequel yet was because Superman died in BvS so having a film for someone who's dead doesnt make much sense(although we all know he's coming back).I really hope they put a script together quickly.Get someone like Geoff Johns on it:drl:

I really like to have one more standalone Superman film. I accepted the fact of not having a conventional MOS trilogy. I don't need several more films. Just one more film with a fully developed Superman. Not directed by Snyder.

I second that. Because I think that if we had a Superman film directed by someone more capable than Zack, we may get a true Superman franchise yet. Just get people on the project who care about the character (i.e. not Snyder and Terrio).

I second that. Because I think that if we had a Superman film directed by someone more capable than Zack, we may get a true Superman franchise yet. Just get people on the project who care about the character (i.e. not Snyder and Terrio).

I would also wager that another, more important stumbling block would be whether or not WB wants to even make more solo Superman, based on the characters more recent cinematic history and the fact that Batman was brought in so quickly.

Seems that they've lost a bit of faith with Supes box office viability.

I think WB believe in superman's box office viability otherwise they wouldn't have tried to bring superman repeatedly to the big screen since superman lives but the issue here is that they don't know how to handle the character and they are finally savvy to that fact so until a viable film maker comes in and campaigns to make a superman film we won't see another solo superman for a little while but I believe that it will happen eventually.

MOS owes its existence to the duo of Nolan and Goyer. It was mainly Goyer's idea/writing and WB only greenlit the project because Nolan had the clout to do so. Otherwise, a Superman reboot would have remained in the development purgatory.

WB will only believe in the property if it's being backed by someone with considerable influences.

No MOS owes it's existence to the fact that original owners/creators of Superman would've got the rights back to the movie version of Superman if the WB did not have another film in production and before the camera in a certain amount of time.

^ Sorta. From my understanding, they heirs wouldn't have gotten any additional rights to Superman, but instead WB would have had to have given them millions and millions from the money they made on the previous movies. Something like that.

^ Sorta. From my understanding, they heirs wouldn't have gotten any additional rights to Superman, but instead WB would have had to have given them millions and millions from the money they made on the previous movies. Something like that.
No the WB would've had to pay them to use Superman in their movies. Which is why they made MOS. Now that they (the WB) fully owns Superman they can take their time.

I love MOS and BvS and I believe Snyder has done a good job with a different take on Superman,but now I would love to see someone else directing a solo Superman movie and hitting a home run. It is long overdue.

No the WB would've had to pay them to use Superman in their movies. Which is why they made MOS. Now that they (the WB) fully owns Superman they can take their time.

WB did not greenlit MOS, specifically because of the on-going lawuit. Several Superman projects were still in development phase since Superman Returns.

During the production of the Dark Knight Rises in 2008, Goyer came up with the concept/story for MOS, he brought this treatment to Nolan who in turn got WB to greenlight it. WB went ahead and began production while the litigation with Marc Toberoff, the attorney for the estate was on-going. In 2009, the court made a ruling that Siegel's family can get 50% of the right to Superman's origin stories and copyright share of the Action Comics No.1. This mean probably that WB wouldn't have some sequences like the Krypton at the beginning for example and some of the Superman's powers. WB was still free to use Superman, though perhaps not Superboy --evidenced in their renaming Superboy to Superman in their animation Legion of Superheroes for example. Then in 2012, a federal judge granted the studio's motion for summary judgement --so WB needn't worry much.

Superman's true cinematic comeback is going to have to start with JL.

Superman's true cinematic comeback is going to have to start with JL.

I agree that is where it will have to start, but I still doubt that will happen.

Of course this is also me going off of the (potentially erroneous) assumption that Clark/Supes will be in JL as much as Vision was in AoU.

The irony is that for the vast majority of his existence, Superman was one of the most popular superheroes (if not THE most). Now? He's Julius Caesar in the play of the same name. He is the reason for the show, but not its shining star.

If JL is the conclusion of his "trilogy" it would be a massive disservice to the character to have only really presented him from an outside view for the majority of it. I'm not hopeful for another solo Supes movie, or any movie with him having a major role to play. It'll be like his role in the Supergirl series. Spoken of, but obscured, shown but will likely never be fully fleshed out, a cold distant beacon of hope.

Shame really.

I really like to have one more standalone Superman film. I accepted the fact of not having a conventional MOS trilogy. I don't need several more films. Just one more film with a fully developed Superman. Not directed by Snyder.

I'm curious to see on how ALL of this will turn out once JL released and whether it'll feel like you're watching somewhat of an unconventional Superman/JL trilogy that starts from MOS and goes to JL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"