The Amazing Spider-Man TASM Easter eggs, foreshadowing, and other references!

I think it was a nod to Bats/Nolan imo. They could have selected any name for the driver yet they went with Alfred. Just because it's common among a certain profession doesn't mean a thing...there are other common butler/driver/servant names too but they didn't pick one of those. And just because the driver is an actor from the Raimi series how is calling him Alfred a nod to the Raimi films? Besides, Papajohn is in TDKR also.

I never said that calling him Alfred is a nod to the Raimi films, don't put words in my mouth. He just happens to be called Alfred. Its the same actor being used in a reboot from the previous franchise. Seems like a nod to the Raimi films. When I saw him, I didn't think "Hey, his name is Alfred! It must be a nod to a character in the Nolan trilogy, and or the Batman comics... a franchise that is completely unrelated to this one!" Instead, I thought, "Hey, look, its Uncle Ben's killer from the 2002 film!"

If anything, just a nod to Batman. Doubt it was a nod of any kind to Nolan since he didn't create the character of Alfred, lol.
Might as well say its a reference to Alfred Hitchcock, Alfred E. Neuman of Mad Magazine, or Mike Alfred (the South African Poet that probably none of you have ever heard of). Spider-Man 1 referenced Superman, but Superman is the archetype for superheroes in general. So that made sense. But why would they reference the butler of Batman, whose series of films are pretty much rivals of this one?

Peter has a Rear Window poster in his room, that's an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

Maybe Webb's a fan of Hitchcock!

Peter has a Rear Window poster in his room, that's an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

Maybe Webb's a fan of Hitchcock!

His Peter Parker has really good taste in film and music.

It would be awesome if there was a reference to someone liking (500) Days of Summer.

Instead, I thought, "Hey, look, its Uncle Ben's killer!"

He didn't play Sandman...that was Thomas Haden Church. Oh, wait...

Spider-Man 1 referenced Superman, but Superman is the archetype for superheroes in general. So that made sense. But why would they reference the butler of Batman, whose series of films are pretty much rivals of this one?

So it's ok to reference Superman but not Batman, lol. And maybe they are 'rivals' to the fanboys but the filmmakers may see it another way.

He's in The Dark Knight Rises too.

Haha what!? When, where? I'm amused you guys can notice such things!

EDIT: Amazed I mean, of course.

Last edited:
No I didn't notice it when I saw it in theaters. Troy had to point it out to me. :funny:

I noticed it too, I quickly nudged my friend :woot:

I have an eye spotting things....

So it's ok to reference Superman but not Batman, lol. And maybe they are 'rivals' to the fanboys but the filmmakers may see it another way.
I don't think you get what I was trying to say. Superman is the archetype for superheroes, and is quite generic. Spider-Man is very weak compared to a lot of characters out there, and is certainly no 'superman.' Batman on the other hand is a very different character, and I don't see a reason for Spider-Man to pay a homage to him.

Also...

why would the Nolan films be rivals to fanboys? I'd imagine that a lot of Spider-Man fans, like myself, like Batman as well. If anything, TDKR was coming out 2 weeks later and was a threat to TASM in the box office.

This is off topic, but I never understood how nobody could guess that Clark Kent was Superman. Only difference is he wears glasses and combs his hair differently. Hope Man of Steel comes up with a better explanation for this.

I don't think you get what I was trying to say. Superman is the archetype for superheroes, and is quite generic. Spider-Man is very weak compared to a lot of characters out there, and is certainly no 'superman.' Batman on the other hand is a very different character, and I don't see a reason for Spider-Man to pay a homage to him.

Also...

why would the Nolan films be rivals to fanboys? I'd imagine that a lot of Spider-Man fans, like myself, like Batman as well. If anything, TDKR was coming out 2 weeks later and was a threat to TASM in the box office.

'Lets not name his Alfred guys,people will get influenced and go watch TDKR a week later rather than a repeat viewing of TASM'

Haha
You people are just giving it too much thought.Alfred is a common Butler's name.Something like Jarvis would have been different though

Superman is a simply perfect and generic boyscout.

Which Man of Steel is trying to fix with this 'boyscout' ideology. And that's a good thing.

I've always found Superman to be one of my favorite heroes though. Always like this God-like character being sent to protect humans.

This is off topic, but I never understood how nobody could guess that Clark Kent was Superman. Only difference is he wears glasses and combs his hair differently. Hope Man of Steel comes up with a better explanation for this.

There is this idea of Clark Kent using hypnosis that isn't used or mentioned at all in the comics as of late, or so what I recall. I really hope the hypnosis idea is used in MOS.

'Lets not name his Alfred guys,people will get influenced and go watch TDKR a week later rather than a repeat viewing of TASM'

Haha
You people are just giving it too much thought.Alfred is a common Butler's name.Something like Jarvis would have been different though

The bold actually sounds like something Avi Arad would say.

Although, no, Jarvis wouldn't really be too different since in TDKR Alfred's middle initial is J, a reference to his father in the comics, Jarvis. Someone would have thought of that in a heartbeat, I kid you not.

If anything, aren't the Nolan films more of a rival to the Spider-Man films?

That's what I think.
I think it'd be over thinking it.

PLUS, did anyone else notice the scene where Dr. Connors gets an arm, and he calls Dr. Ratha's assistant to get him, but she says that he's on the bridge? Her name is Emma! What so you think that was a nod to Emma Stone for her good assisting skills while shooting?! Lol

I've always found Superman to be one of my favorite heroes though. Always like this God-like character being sent to protect humans.

There is this idea of Clark Kent using hypnosis that isn't used or mentioned at all in the comics as of late, or so what I recall. I really hope the hypnosis idea is used in MOS.

But with Superman, he kind of makes a lot of other heroes pointless. He could fly around the entire earth so fast that he could go back in time... why would someone like Batman even be necessary? He could have stopped Bane, the Joker, etc etc within a microsecond lol.

I like the hypnosis idea a lot.

Last edited:
Probably been brought up, but Peter's camera in TASM is called a Yashica... Electro.

Yes it has been brought up.

By you, Troy.

2TOIe.png

But with Superman, he kind of makes a lot of other heroes pointless. He could fly around the entire earth so fast that he could go back in time... why would someone like Batman even be necessary? He could have stopped Bane, the Joker, etc etc within a microsecond lol.

I like the hypnosis idea a lot.

I don't think the idea of Superman flying around Earth to turn back time is really used much except for Superman: The Movie, though. I don't know, I could be wrong, but I never heard of Superman doing that. It would make everything rather pointless for the DC universe as a whole.

But, yes, the hypnosis idea is something that should really be used in Man Of Steel. I had hoped it was going to be used on Smallville too, but it wasn't.

Yes it has been brought up.

By you, Troy.

:lmao:

I thought Andrew Garfield's performance resembled Ultimate Peter Parker, especially the facial expressions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"