TDKR vs Iron Man 3: Which is the best SH threequel?

Which begs the question...why does Coulson even show up in the first film? Obviously they didn't care about the terrorist organization that kidnapped Tony :o

At the same time, one of the biggest complaints about IM2 was the shield/coulson crap.
Whedon has changed things.

At the same time, one of the biggest complaints about IM2 was the shield/coulson crap.
Whedon has changed things.

Well, yes. Iron Man 2 is the film that needed less S.H.I.E.L.D.

It should've been, in terms of how much S.H.I.E.L.D. should've been involved:

Iron Man 3 - a terrorist has destroyed a Chinese theatre in California and S.H.I.E.L.D. should have been involved with this investigation

Iron Man - Tony Stark has just escaped the clutches of a terrorist ring and announced himself as Iron Man

Iron Man 2 - I get that Tony Stark was on a downward spiral and that's fine, but finding out about the arc reactor and how the Vankos are related to this...Tony should've found this out by himself without Fury's help. S.H.I.E.L.D. should have only played a part on curing him, not helping him out

Ha! :funny: Well played good sir, well played.

:grin:

I was okay with SHIELD not being involved in the movie myself.

I really want to watch Iron Man 3 again. Getting my chance to Friday. But, in regard to the topic, I haven't watched TDKR since I saw it in the theater the Friday it opened. I've really not been that interested in watching it again, either. I bought the DVD, but only because I have the other 2. I haven't even thought of popping it in. Just really didn't like the movie.

I would! :argh:

Although, I may watch IM3 again when it's on Blu-ray, but only then. This film has actually made me decided that once I watch a film once and I can't fully say it was enjoyable, I'm not gonna see it in theatres again. I made that mistake with TAS-M when my score for that film went only downhill.

I would! :argh:

Although, I may watch IM3 again when it's on Blu-ray, but only then. This film has actually made me decided that once I watch a film once and I can't fully say it was enjoyable, I'm not gonna see it in theatres again. I made that mistake with TAS-M when my score for that film went only downhill.

For these films, I normally give them 2 viewings before I cement my opinion. That is, unless they're Green Lantern level of terrible or something I only had mild interest in. I saw TASM twice (big Spider-Man fan, so I gave it a fair shot), and that film has leveled off to about a 3 for me. I saw TDKR at midnight and then the next day (though I bought those tickets expecting to be mindblown), and that has leveled off to about a 3 for me as well. I will probably be giving MoS two chances as well (Wolverine likely only 1). Thor 2 I likely will be seeing more than 2.

True, most of the time I think a film needs to be seen twice in a theatre, but only if you get some enjoyment out of it the first time. When I saw The Dark Knight at the midnight showing, I felt it was a fun film, but just different as in it was a very different kind of CBM for its time, but then seeing it again and seeing just how Nolan changed the game made me appreciate The Dark Knight Rises the moment it became this disaster flick mixed with a war epic.

I'll see IM3 again, sure, when it's released on Blu-ray, but I have the same reaction to IM3 that I had with TAS-M. Enjoyed some little moments, but as a whole, I didn't enjoy it.

Personally I felt Iron Man 3 was a better fit for its character. I totally buy Iron Man having some anxiety after meeting gods and aliens and almost dying and throwing himself into his work to an unhealthy degree. Finally facing his problems in the end, his emotional issues, his relationship issues and even finally taking care of the shrapnel in his chest felt like good development of his character.

Batman giving up and becoming Howard Hughs for 8 years seemed way off.

Which begs the question...why does Coulson even show up in the first film?

My God, Coulson is one of the biggest cop outs in comic book movies.

Also, TDKR >>>>>>>>>>> IM3.

And I loved the Mandarin twist. Loved it. And the final fight in IM3 is one of the most inventive action scenes. And Shane's humor. But yeah, IM3 is not even in the same universe as TDKR.

^ The final battle is the best thing about IM3, imo.

Personally I felt Iron Man 3 was a better fit for its character. I totally buy Iron Man having some anxiety after meeting gods and aliens and almost dying and throwing himself into his work to an unhealthy degree. Finally facing his problems in the end, his emotional issues, his relationship issues and even finally taking care of the shrapnel in his chest felt like good development of his character.

Batman giving up and becoming Howard Hughs for 8 years seemed way off.

Bruce Wayne giving up as Batman for eight years and then "becomes Howard Hughes" for three.

You're too cool for school, Kane numbers. Never change.

iYR2As5.gif

IM3 was awesome but it's not in the same league as TDKR and isn't really trying to be.

I felt that Iron Man 3 was a really mediocre film and I didn't even care that much about the Mandarin twist myself. It just got really silly and over the top in the second half. It almost felt like a parody at certain points. The problem with The Dark Knight Rises on the other hand is that it wasn't as good as the previous film(s). Not that it didn't have any flaws but I still consider it a great piece of film making and definitely better than any Iron Man film for that matter. Let alone Iron Man 3 which was by far the worst of the trilogy.

I've gained a new respect for Iron Man 3. While I still favor TDKR as the best superhero film out there, Iron Man 3 is easily in the top 5. I can appreciate what Black wanted to accomplish with his creative decisions. Those goals simply weren't anything I could relate to as closely I could Bruce's story in TDKR. To date, Iron Man 3 may not be the best SH threequel, but I believe that it is the best film in Marvel's lineup.

In fairness both movies have gone down in my estimation since my 1st viewing, but TDKR has held better for me, I think it is a good match for the previous movies in the franchise.

IM3 though just seems to get worse and worse everytime I watch it, the movie just has no impact other than being entertaining at points and it really suffers from Marvels insistence on overloading its movies with humour.

I like IM3 fine. I would've liked a more straight-up Mandarin, but I was entertained.

Other than two or three gaps in the plotting, and one seemingly forgotten character motivation, TDKR was brilliant.

Despite being a big Batman fan, I have to go with IM3 on this one.

Problems and all I think TDKR is without a doubt the better movie.

TDKR - 3.5/5
IM3 - 2/5

This poll proved two things :
- Batman, as usual, always wins with prep
- TDKR is overrated

TDKR is underrated if anything. It's got plenty of flaws, but it's head and shoulders above most comic book films and people have a flawed perception of it because they were blinded by unreachable hype, thanks to its predecessor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"