The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - - Part 83

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't know some people hated this enough to walk out in it LOL. Every one is entitled to their own opinions but eve though this movie is flawed and is a bit messy story wise, I was never bored or mad watching it. There are far worst comic book movies out there and fans are putting a lot on it to say this as bad as something like Batman and Robin which simply isn't true at all. The only comic book movies I walked out on are green lantern, Ang Lee's Incredible Hulk, Superman Returns, and Electra. I did get a refund for Green Lantern and Hulk. The other two I had to take a lost on. I nearly walked out on X men Origins but some of my friends I went with actually liked it for some odd reason.

I still like this movie, I've noticed those who are most upset were the same posters who honestly seemed to have no clue who Electro or Rhino were as characters.. those who wanted these "Bad Ass" Villains, in which these are not, nor have ever been "Bad Asses". They're C list villains with A list powers (well Rhino is still C-List, but Electro does have A List powers none the less) Part of what makes Electro disturbing is that he's bat-___ insane. he's unpredictable, he's unstable. And yes.. he's can be ridiculous while doing it.. he's a character no one takes seriously (and he hates that, even in the books) and only when he finally goes over the edge, to people start to notice him and fear him at all. That's a pretty accurate portrayal of electro... he's no Joker, he's not even a Doc Ock. He has no plan, he just does, and often makes rash decisions that cause his own demise because he never thinks things through, just acts.

I still hate electro's look, but the portrayal of him on film isn't too far off from source material. that's also not justifying the films flaws, it's a bit too cluttered, and some of those deleted scenes would have really helped Harry and even Felicia.

Infact.. the whole film feels like it's playing off source material far more than the raimi films even did.

btw the deleted scene with the space suits, was that the venom nod? I couldn't make much out?

I just honestly think people were hoping and expecting something incredibly misguided out of electro and Rhino.. I expected source material, and got that. Felt very Stan Lee/Romita to me

I still like this movie, I've noticed those who are most upset were the same posters who honestly seemed to have no clue who Electro or Rhino were as characters.. those who wanted these "Bad Ass" Villains, in which these are not, nor have ever been "Bad Asses". They're C list villains with A list powers (well Rhino is still C-List, but Electro does have A List powers none the less)

So we should be forced to accept mediocrity and terrible villains? Look at what Nolan did for Bane. B-list Batman villain...yet...2012 he was all over the place....still is. Nobody's gonna be buying any TASM2 villain merchandise soon.

Part of what makes Electro disturbing is that he's bat-___ insane. he's unpredictable, he's unstable.

No, that would be his God complex.

I still hate electro's look, but the portrayal of him on film isn't too far off from source material.

Infact.. the whole film feels like it's playing off source material far more than the raimi films even did.

gjpW8qF.jpg

Yeah, what with Peter's transformation into Spider-Man being pre-destined essentially, every villain coming from Oscorp, Harry being Goblin first...yeah, much like the comics.

Is it just me or is Electro extremely underused in comics and the film and cartoons?

I see him as like a mixture of Magneto and Zod. Here we have a man with the snap of a finger, could shut down power to a city.

He is Spider-Man's greatest foe on a powers level like how Zod is Superman's greatest foe on a powers level.

I mean maybe it's me but there is a lot one could do with this villain and Marvel hasn't done anything really in the comics with him as far as I know.

I agree with the rest, but Peter still didn't become Spider-Man because of destiny. Just because he was the only one who could be Spider-Man doesn't make it destiny. :cwink:

So we should be forced to accept mediocrity and terrible villains? Look at what Nolan did for Bane. B-list Batman villain...yet...2012 he was all over the place....still is. Nobody's gonna be buying any TASM2 villain merchandise soon.

Nolan's Bane sucked ass, the whole film sucked ass.. so that opinion carries nothing to me.

As for Mediocrity/terrible villains... YES we do need them. You can't have a film franchise filled with Doc Ocks and Jokers... because it completely waters down the better villains. You have to have "less" good villains to let the best shine. You should still be able to tell a compelling story (which they failed at) but the characterization was fine.

Electro is someone who should have been paired up with Sandman, Hydro Man, etc.. a set of nobody thugs that have incredibly dangerous powers. electro could have kept his personality, but had it fit much more snug to the story with a partner in crime who was more down on his level and maybe much more of a master planner. The teaming with Harry just didn't mesh well for me at all..

Rule of thumb for me is A list villains should be able to carry a film on there own... B and C list villains.. need to team up to make a story feel more "A-list" together they can be a big threat, but not apart. That would still alow for the villains who are dangerous alone, to shine brighter than the team-up villains while still allowing the team-up villains to tell a compelling story.

and uh... Electro doesn't have much of a "god complex".. unless you're thinking about some version that's not 616...

and uh.. yeah, still far more "that's pulled right from the bookx" then the raimi films..

-They captured a little bit of the espionage/spy theme of his parents, not exactly spies, but they know how to sneak away and go underground none the less
-Parents plane crash
-Gwen going to Europe
-Gwen's death (not exact, via harry and not a bridge, but the death was very much 616 none the less)
-Electro's characterization/personality (not the max dillon 1-hour photo aspect, but as electro he's pretty accurate
-Rhino being a big joke
-Cut footage of Mj working the diner during rhino's rampage (nice nod to the issue of her first appearance which also featured rhino)

Sorry, but all that trumps the Merger of Ock/Connors, Organic webbing, Bland MJ, Gwen who comes off more MJ like, Tobey's goofy faces, Eddie Brock Jr, pointless sandman (though his origin was perfect), Power Rangers Villain-like Green Goblin, and Rocket Racer Gobby jr, and lets not forget... jazz hands

the only things the Raimi films get major props on, with doing better.. is Spidey's Origin, Norman Osborn (aside from costume), Slightly better Harry Osborn, and Uncle Ben... Ock was also kick ass but we can't say they "did him better" yet.

oh, and totally forgot about the Bugle, well.. the bugle could have been handled far better over all... but Jameson was amazing. and will be tough to beat

Last edited:
Is it just me or is Electro extremely underused in comics and the film and cartoons?

I see him as like a mixture of Magneto and Zod. Here we have a man with the snap of a finger, could shut down power to a city.

He is Spider-Man's greatest foe on a powers level like how Zod is Superman's greatest foe on a powers level.

I mean maybe it's me but there is a lot one could do with this villain and Marvel hasn't done anything really in the comics with him as far as I know.

He lacks the brain for it. Magneto once said he'd be more powerful than himself if he actually used his brain. Unfortunately, he's a dumb crook blessed with insane power.

Didn't know which gif to use so I'm gonna use all of them.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

GIFbaneboss.gif

3852551-2722064843-comea.gif

tumblr_mpqu92TK4s1szcxt8o1_500.png

bane-out-gif.gif

lol, if only he didn't sound like the offspring of Snively Whiplash and Darth Vader.... oh and get taken out so easily.. then maybe... maybe i'd have a different opinion. But... he bored me ever so :o:o

Get taken out so easily? Bane in the comics is the same way with him and his venom tube.

This Bane at least made it harder by it being his mouthpiece.

Get taken out so easily? Bane in the comics is the same way with him and his venom tube.

This Bane at least made it harder by it being his mouthpiece.

... he got blasted by catwoman on a bike and that was it. it was very anti-climatic...

anywho.. this isn't about the nolan films... first two are easily the best though, 3 was garbage.

Yea, blasted by a rock (or whatever it was) from the bat-cycle and didn't get back up? What a wuss.

I still like this movie, I've noticed those who are most upset were the same posters who honestly seemed to have no clue who Electro or Rhino were as characters.. those who wanted these "Bad Ass" Villains, in which these are not, nor have ever been "Bad Asses". They're C list villains with A list powers (well Rhino is still C-List, but Electro does have A List powers none the less) Part of what makes Electro disturbing is that he's bat-___ insane. he's unpredictable, he's unstable. And yes.. he's can be ridiculous while doing it.. he's a character no one takes seriously (and he hates that, even in the books) and only when he finally goes over the edge, to people start to notice him and fear him at all. That's a pretty accurate portrayal of electro... he's no Joker, he's not even a Doc Ock. He has no plan, he just does, and often makes rash decisions that cause his own demise because he never thinks things through, just acts.

Then you've been misreading people's posts, or just seeing what you want to see. Or both. It's got nothing to do with Electro and Rhino being C list villains. Anyone familiar with them knows they are not A-list like Doc Ock or the Joker or the Goblin. How many villains in Spidey's rogues gallery are? That was never an issue. But that doesn't mean they should be reduced to goofy comical one dimensional caricatures just because they're not top tier villains.

We're not talking about the Rocket Racer or the Spot here!

I mean when Electro is defeated with a water hose 5 minutes after first meeting Spider-Man, and then tossed in prison for the bulk of the movie, you know the people who wrote this story have not got a clue what they're doing. No Spider-Man villain, not even D listers like Shocker got whupped and captured by Spider-Man on their first run in with him. None of them acted like bad Jim Carey Edward Nygma rip offs.

Yea, blasted by a rock (or whatever it was) from the bat-cycle and didn't get back up? What a wuss.

Totally. I mean it's not like that cannon gun was strong enough to destroy Tumblers or anything.

Then you've been misreading people's posts, or just seeing what you want to see. Or both. It's got nothing to do with Electro and Rhino being C list villains. Anyone familiar with them knows they are not A-list like Doc Ock or the Joker or the Goblin. How many villains in Spidey's rogues gallery are? That was never an issue. But that doesn't mean they should be reduced to goofy comical one dimensional caricatures just because they're not top tier villains.

We're not talking about the Rocket Racer or the Spot here!

I mean when Electro is defeated with a water hose 5 minutes after first meeting Spider-Man, and then tossed in prison for the bulk of the movie, you know the people who wrote this story have not got a clue what they're doing. No Spider-Man villain, not even D listers like Shocker got whupped and captured by Spider-Man on their first run in with him. None of them acted like bad Jim Carey Edward Nygma rip offs.

Totally. I mean it's not like that cannon gun was strong enough to destroy Tumblers or anything.

I'm not saying people "thought" they were A list.. they just wanted them to be "A list" i saw many people on the boards during production who thought they both should be "kick-ass" villains... when no where near in there 50ish year comic history would "Kick Ass villain" be and adjective for those 2 characters. And that's fine, people wanted them to be "better" then there comic counter parts... I saw many post how they really didn't care if they came off as top-tier villains if it meant for a good story. For me.. that's not right. I don't want Electro (and especially rhino) to ever seem like better villains than Goblin and Ock...

rocket racer and spot are D list (if that lol)

but i regress.. I get peoples anger. But I think it has less to do with the character portrayal and far more to do with shoddy story telling/writing Like i said previously... Electro needed to be part of a team-up, just not with harry... someone who actually complimented his character.

We really need to start bashing Nolan batman movies in the Spidey general discussion?

We really need to start bashing Nolan batman movies in the Spidey general discussion?

unfortunately.. whenever you talk about ANY comic movie or try to compare any of them.. someone always starts bringing up Nolan... :o:whatever:

It went from comparing Spidey to Spidey to some how Nolan.. which was irrelevant.

I don't like to do the whole comparing nonsense... but if Marc Webb can give me a Spider-Man movie that is half as effective/memorable as TDKR... that'd be great.

I'm not saying people "thought" they were A list.. they just wanted them to be "A list" i saw many people on the boards during production who thought they both should be "kick-ass" villains... when no where near in there 50ish year comic history would "Kick Ass villain" be and adjective for those 2 characters. And that's fine, people wanted them to be "better" then there comic counter parts... I saw many post how they really didn't care if they came off as top-tier villains if it meant for a good story. For me.. that's not right. I don't want Electro (and especially rhino) to ever seem like better villains than Goblin and Ock...

Treating villains in a serious manner and as a viable threat, as any leading comic book villain should be, doesn't mean they're better than the A listers. Let me make an analogy using the aforementioned Dark Knight Rises and Bane as an example; technically Bane taking all of Gotham City hostage for 5 months is worse than what Joker did to Gotham. Does that mean Bane is a better villain than the Joker? Of course not. The Joker was a deadlier threat in a different way. He hurt Batman more personally. He killed Rachel, he forced Batman to become a fugitive, he turned all of Gotham against Batman, he destroyed Harvey Dent etc. The consequences of Joker's evil had years of effects and repercussions on Batman, Gordon, Gotham etc.

My point is just because a villain is treated as a deadly threat doesn't mean they are as good or better than the A listers.

rocket racer and spot are D list (if that lol)

I'd call them F list. They're villains who are so comical and who have no great stories at all lol.

but i regress.. I get peoples anger. But I think it has less to do with the character portrayal and far more to do with shoddy story telling/writing Like i said previously... Electro needed to be part of a team-up, just not with harry... someone who actually complimented his character.

Writing and story telling go hand in hand with character portrayal. It's all about how the character was written. And as someone else pointed out before Electro is the only villain out of all the Spider-Man movies (I don't count Rhino because he was nothing but a glorified cheesy cameo) who had zero effect on Spider-Man as a character. He didn't learn anything from him. He didn't affect Peter in a personal way. He was a non entity who was just brought out for a couple of flashy action scenes in between being tucked up in jail where we're tortured with god awful Dr. Kafka interactions.

I don't like to do the whole comparing nonsense... but if Marc Webb can give me a Spider-Man movie that is half as effective/memorable as TDKR... that'd be great.

Hear hear :up:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg