The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man: Box Office Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the Amazing Spider-Man perform well enough to really help Sony out? It looks like the studio did well in 2012, but still...

The film was made so they could retain the rights to Spider-Man, not to make a load of cash. That's for the sequels I suppose, so this film did its job. There is still that small part of me inside that wants Sony to go out of business so the film rights could go back to Marvel... but I want this franchise to do so well. I assume that Marvel could continue the sequels to this movie if they ever got the chance.

I hope Marvel never gets a chance. They don't deserve their own characters.

:up:

The 40/45 % number is true though.
But it's what they take in before expenses.

The problem with saying before expenses is that most of the "expenses" are complete crap. No movie ever makes a profit according to the studios, hence the term Hollywood accounting.

Think about it this way: pretty much every company that operates in multiple countries uses a tax cheat called the "Double Irish With a Dutch Sandwich" that allows them to pay little to no tax. Do you think the industry that invented cheating taxes and shifting profits is just bending over backwards?

Last edited:
So, how much is this movie set to make for the weekend, overall? Are we approaching $700 million here?

I think as of thursday it had made 614 million. So it'll almost certainly pass 700 at some point, but I'm not sure by how much. Still pretty good for a reboot. Hopefully the next one is entirely fresh, critically acclaimed, and people flock to it. The potential is there without a doubt. The cast is phenomenal in my opinion and if Webb is back, I think we could see something special. Although Orci and Kurtzman are there :whatever:.

According to imdb, Amazing Spider-Man has made $552,598,265 worldwide. Now also take note that imdb can be slow when it comes to updating, so it might be a tad bit higher, but don't expect it to get much higher than what we have now.

This is a reboot, and has had some tough competition since it came out only 2 months after the Avengers, a week before Ice Age 4, and a couple of weeks before the Dark Knight Rises. Lets also not forget its 5 years since Spider-Man 3.

Now that the origin story is over with, the sequel can just be a Spider-Man film. This film gave the franchise so much potential, and they can take the franchise into an entirely different direction... as long as the next villain isn't Doc Ock and Peter Parker starts to lose his powers. I think that film will have a better shot at making a good $700 million or more.

Last edited:
Did the Amazing Spider-Man perform well enough to really help Sony out? It looks like the studio did well in 2012, but still...

The film was made so they could retain the rights to Spider-Man, not to make a load of cash. That's for the sequels I suppose, so this film did its job. There is still that small part of me inside that wants Sony to go out of business so the film rights could go back to Marvel... but I want this franchise to do so well. I assume that Marvel could continue the sequels to this movie if they ever got the chance.

TAS has accounted for nearly 25% of Sony's $1 billion domestic haul so far this year. It's also #5 alll-time for the studio, and has a chance to become #4 (behind the 3 original Spider-Man movies). I know inflation can be factored in and it would be totally different picture, don't really want to go there.

http://boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?view2=allmovies&view=company&studio=tristar.htm

Agree that TAS's main mission was to reboot the franchise, keep the rights, set up a new Spider-Man world with new actors and vibe, etc. It's done that and the franchise is primed for some spectacular sequels.

I disagree about wanting Spidey reverting back to Marvel. I think Sony's done a great job with the franchise as its crown jewel and want them to keep making Spider-Man movies.

Last edited:
Picard, that thing is super slow, it's make 614 mil already.

According to imdb, Amazing Spider-Man has made $552,598,265 worldwide. Now also take note that imdb can be slow when it comes to updating, so it might be a tad bit higher, but don't expect it to get much higher than what we have now.

IMDB is slow to update boxoffice figures. Boxofficemojo has the worldwide total at $623 million, and that doesn't fator in this past week's international haul (that's updated at the end of the weekend), so it'll probably somewhere in the $660 vicinity by end of weekend.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=spiderman4.htm

I wasn't aware that $75 million was only a tad bit. :p

I'm actually a little disappointed in how much(or how little) the film has made domestically. I thought for sure it was at least be over 300 million. Well,I think the sequels should do alot better,assuming they have some great villains in them(Goblin and Venom).

I'm actually a little disappointed in how much(or how little) the film has made domestically. I thought for sure it was at least be over 300 million. Well,I think the sequels should do alot better,assuming they have some great villains in them(Goblin and Venom).

It had a lot working against it ("too soon to reboot" and "heard this story already" stigmas, following Avengers, competing with TDKR so soon, etc). Otherwise would have cleared $300 million easy. But I definitely think it did its job setting up the sequels to make $300+ million, especially since the origins have been retold and it's assumed that the sequels will tell unique stories.

I had no idea that IMDB was THAT slow. At least it is doing better than I had initially thought then, since I was wondering why Men in Black 3 was doing better according to that site.

The thing is that this movie really is just a setup film. We won't know if this franchise is better than the Raimi films until the sequel comes out. But considering how many things were against this movie, its doing pretty well for itself.

Is it just me, or have I not seen any interviews with Grant Curtis since Spider-Man 3? He pretty much disappeared. Avi Arad also seems to be held back a little more...

He is one of the producers for all the Spider-Man movies.

Never even heard of him.

I also believe he appeared in Spider-Man 3 as the driver of the armored truck that Sandman robbed.

I also believe he appeared in Spider-Man 3 as the driver of the armored truck that Sandman robbed.
He wasn't the driver, he was the guy who took out the shotgun and tried to shoot sandman with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"