The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man: Box Office Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it not possible?

Batman Begins grossed 167 million on DVD sales, TAS would be looking at 40-50 million at best. The market of 2006 is completely different from that of 2012.

I still don't understand, how do you KNOW that TASM would only see 40-50 million on DVD sales?

I still don't understand, how do you KNOW that TASM would only see 40-50 million on DVD sales?

Well, you look at it's box office gross (the bigger the box office the bigger the buy), you look at its target audience (family oriented movies generally dominate), you compare it to similar movies (recent genre with similar box office totals and bingo, you have it. Actually it is a little more involved than that but I am not going to give a class, those are the very basics.

Its box office is average, little help there. Its target audience is teens to young adult, a positive thing, they are one of the biggest buying sectors. But did they really connect with that market? I am saying no. I looked at DVD sales for Cap, Thor, and X-men First Class. I took their figures, averaged them, and then doubled them (that could bite me in the ass but I was trying to give the TAS fans a little hope). That put TAS in the 40-50 million dollar range and strongly outperform all recent Marvel movies (excepting the unreleased Avengers).

As I said, the market of 2012 is very different. NO movie (be it the Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, Twilight, whatever) has any chance of hitting number 1 and damn little chance of cracking the top 10 best selling DVDs.

Last edited:
I think the rights will eventually go back to Marvel. Sony is not in a financial position to put big money behind the sequel since the reboot has garnered average income for their investment. With regards to the lifetime gross, Sony gave away their cash cow with Raimi and Maqiure. Say what you will about Spider-man 3, but it made more than the first two worldwide. So the demand was still there for the director and cast. All they needed was a better story and the franchise would have continued raking in the money. Most people were not ready for a recast of the film and the results speak for themselves.
I think at some point, Spider-Man has to be with Marvel. It is SPIDER-MAN! If Sony screws up the sequel, I hope they lose the rights right away.

I think at some point, Spider-Man has to be with Marvel. It is SPIDER-MAN! If Sony screws up the sequel, I hope they lose the rights right away.

Marvel makes average movies at best
I hope this never happens

Sony has invested almost a billion in 3 movies alone(Total Recall,TAS-M,MIB3),I dont see how they are close to going bankrupt

Well, you look at it's box office gross (the bigger the box office the bigger the buy), you look at its target audience (family oriented movies generally dominate), you compare it to similar movies (recent genre with similar box office totals and bingo, you have it. Actually it is a little more involved than that but I am not going to give a class, those are the very basics.

Its box office is average, little help there. Its target audience is teens to young adult, a positive thing, they are one of the biggest buying sectors. But did they really connect with that market? I am saying no. I looked at DVD sales for Cap, Thor, and X-men First Class. I took their figures, averaged them, and then doubled them (that could bite me in the ass but I was trying to give the TAS fans a little hope). That put TAS in the 40-50 million dollar range and strongly outperform all recent Marvel movies (excepting the unreleased Avengers).

As I said, the market of 2012 is very different. NO movie (be it the Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, Twilight, whatever) has any chance of hitting number 1 and damn little chance of cracking the top 10 best selling DVDs.

Iron Man 1 is at 160M,40-50M is too low for TAS-M

Iron Man 1 is at 160M,40-50M is too low for TAS-M

Iron Man has been out for how long? You are missing the point, title is secondary. DVD sales have been on a decline for 7 years, and, at least so far, Blu-ray and digital sales have not climbed enough to match. This is a result of the disappearence of video stores, they accounted for the largest purchases of DVDs for their rental market. Combined with the impending obsolence of DVD, sales are just not there. This is true for all movies and all studios.

Even allowing for that, with Spider-Man's name value, the increase of Netflix type arrangements, PPV buys, satellite and terrestial TV rights, as well as the movie specific merchandise which has been selling for months now, I'm sure the film will make plenty.

Even allowing for that, with Spider-Man's name value, the increase of Netflix type arrangements, PPV buys, satellite and terrestial TV rights, as well as the movie specific merchandise which has been selling for months now, I'm sure the film will make plenty.

I agree that it will definitely make a profit, how much is yet to be seen. I was specifically addressing DVD sales, which had been the second largest grossing market for a movie.

Saturday box office rings up at 2.75 million. Nice uptick from Friday. Pretty much on target for the predicted 5.7 million weekend. Sunday it will break the 240 million mark domestically.

Saturday box office rings up at 2.75 million. Nice uptick from Friday. Pretty much on target for the predicted 5.7 million weekend. Sunday it will break the 240 million mark domestically.

Any idea about the Overseas Box Office?

Well you're lucky sony narrowly avoided it's bankruptcy. Apparently they would have had to sell off their rights to films like spider-man.
Good. I'd rather Sony sell Spider-Man's movie rights to New Line Cinema (Div. Warner Bros.) than to Marvel/Disney. I can already smell them sticking Spider-Man with those dead eyed actors in The Avengers. The thought makes me ill. :dry:

So Spidey is at $654,753,000 and it still has to open in China right so will Spidey be able to make 700 mill?

©KAW;24013265 said:
Good. I'd rather Sony sell Spider-Man's movie rights to New Line Cinema (Div. Warner Bros.) than to Marvel/Disney. I can already smell them sticking Spider-Man with those dead eyed actors in The Avengers. The thought makes me ill. :dry:

:up:

Any other studio making Spider-Man except Marvel is fine?

So Spidey is at $654,753,000 and it still has to open in China right so will Spidey be able to make 700 mill?

Isnt TDKR opening in China around the same time?

Avengers earned around 60M in China so TASM should get around 30M
Plus another 20M from Domestic and Overseas box office so it will probably cross 700m

©KAW;24013265 said:

Cannot imagine why. Looking over New Line's catalog it seems wildly out of their league.

Webbheads are switching targets from Nolanites to Marvelites apparently.

BTW....who the **** said The Watch would be this year's Hangover? LOL!

Avengers was a fun movie which is okay but I want Spidey to have a bit more going for it than fun. I want Spidey to go to the brink and come out the other side. I felt Marvel did this with Iron Man but all the other Marvel movies feel cookie cutter.

I wanted Spider-Man to dominate this year but I knew he would be the underdog. Still, I am shocked that this month ended up the way it did, TDK in 10 days has more than Spidey did in the whole month...

That being said box office doesn't matter to me at all, and as far as I'm concerned we've had 3 films among the best, if not the best, in the superhero genre. So cheers to that!

Webbheads are switching targets from Nolanites to Marvelites apparently.

I'm a Webbhead and a Marvelite, and I like the Nolanverse films.

So...
does this mean I'm neither of those or that I'm all of those? Or does this just make me a lover? :cwink:

I wanted Spider-Man to dominate this year but I knew he would be the underdog. Still, I am shocked that this month ended up the way it did, TDK in 10 days has more than Spidey did in the whole month...

That being said box office doesn't matter to me at all, and as far as I'm concerned we've had 3 films among the best, if not the best, in the superhero genre. So cheers to that!

TDKR is only ahead in domestic..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back