The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion & Speculation Thread - - - - - - P - - Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spidey's agility makes tight spaces a non-issue. In fact moving swiftly in small spaces is a big thing for him.

most of the practical swinging is from when he is just getting the hang of it. stop judging it by clips and just wait til you see it all in order.

some of you guys are like a broken record with your nitpicks. you seem to have a very specific movie in mind, which means you are almost guaranteed to be disappointed. personally, i hope the movie is NOTHING like the Spidey film I would make myself. I want to be surprised.

Last edited:
In small spaces Peter suddenly loses the ability to manipulate his body with very little start up?

In the trailers for this very film they show Peter creating a huge amount of speed and force from near dead stops.
First, getting "huge amounts of speed from dead stops" is something completely different, and a point I wouldn't argue against. Secondly, if you think Spidey should be just as effective in tight spaces as he is in large spaces...that's something you'll need to take up with the comic book writers.

most of the practical swinging is from when he is just getting the hang of it. stop judging it by clips and just wait til you see it all in order.

some of you guys are like a broken record with your nitpicks. you seem to have a very specific movie in mind, which means you are almost guaranteed to be disappointed. personally, i hope the movie is NOTHING like the Spidey film I would make myself. I want to be surprised.

How dare I have an opinion on footage the studio themselves release. :o

And I have no perfect Spidey film in mind. But I do think something are quite subjective. Like whether the special effects work.

Folks, the car thief scene, as it stands, makes no degree of sense whatsoever for the following reasons:

1. How did Spidey get into the back seat of a locked car before the carjacker broke into it? Does he have Nightcrawler's powers now? At least when Batman seems to appear and disappear out of nowhere, he at least has ninja skills and completely open spaces to work with.

2. Even if Spidey somehow managed to get into the car before the carjacker with his spidey speed and in complete silence, how did he know which car the carjacker would break into beforehand? I guess his spider-sense is now full-blown precognition?

3. How does the carjacker not even notice Spider-Man is in the backseat of the car? Granted it is somewhat dark, but I think it would be pretty darn easy to see somebody wearing an outlandish and brightly-colored red and blue outfit sitting in the backseat. Unless the car thief really is really that visually impaired and/or color blind. After all, he does think that Spidey is a cop initially.

4. When Spidey first webs the guy inside the car, you can see that the web attaches to both the carjacker's mouth and arm. But then in the very next cut, they've suddenly vanished. So where did the webbing go? I thought it was supposed to dissolve in an hour, not instantaneously. Nice consistency with the visual effects there, filmmakers. :oldrazz:

5. How does Spidey get out of the back seat of the car and behind the carjacker without opening the back door or rolling down the windows? I don't remember seeing the inside light coming on which usually happens when anyone opens a car door. More teleportation powers and spidey ninja skills, I guess.

6. If this scene is taking place as rumored after Uncle Ben is killed but before he apprehends his Uncle's killer (hence why he's apparently checking the carjacker's wrist to see if he has some distinguishing mark or tattoo that Uncle Ben's killer had) then why is Spidey making with the wisecracks, as well as being a complete *****ebag besides? Spider-Man fans know that whenever someone he loves gets killed or seriously hurt, Spidey stops making jokes. If Spidey merely suspected this guy killed his Uncle, I doubt he would be toying with and bullying him like he is here.

7. When an abbreviated version of this scene showed up months earlier, Marc Webb explained that the reason why Spidey is acting the way he is at that moment is because he's "feeling drunk on his power" and "having a really good time." But if this scene is taking place after his Uncle Ben's murder, wouldn't he have stopped "feeling drunk on his power" after his Uncle was killed? I thought his Uncle's death was the very thing which taught him not to be "drunk on his power."

8. What kind of cop (even if it is a cop from New York, no offense) tries to shoot a person and nearly kills another in the process immediately after he tells the guy to freeze? Granted, Spidey is making a move towards him, somewhat, but hasn't this cop ever heard of the concept of a "warning shot?"

9. What brought the motorcycle cop there in the first place? More importantly, what brought all the other cop cars there? We didn't exactly see the motorcycle cop call for back-up. Did they all respond to shots being fired within a span of ten seconds? Were they part of some sting operation to catch the carjacker that Spidey inadvertently interfered with? Was the guy parking the car part of the sting operation? If this was a sting operation, then how did the cops know that was the car the carjacker would steal? And why go through all this effort and manpower just to catch one measly carjacker?

10. Why is Spidey--a guy who can literally leap dozens of feet in the air, climb up walls, and has devices which allow him to create ready-made ropes for him to swing on--literally running away on foot from the scene down a busy street? If he's able to somersault over that cop with such ease, what was to stop him from leaping onto the building and scampering away? Wouldn't that have been safer as opposed to running into traffic and leaping onto moving vehicles?

I know, it seems like I'm nitpicking and this is a two minute scene out of a 136 minute-long movie so we have yet to see it in it's proper context, but even so.

Last edited:
Which leads to a broader point. If those nuance related inconsistencies are throughout the entire film then you can start getting a better picture as to why it isn't particularly all that good.

Does anyone really think that Marc Webb is going to leave after this movie? I feel like if this is successful, it would be a bit of a waste for him to just abandon ship.

Well if this is to be believed

http://fanboycomics.net/fanboy-scoop/stop-the-presses/1000

Fanboy Comics recently received information from a reliable inside source regarding the future of Sony’s The Amazing Spider-Man films. Though it has not yet been confirmed, we have learned that Marc Webb, the un-ironically named director of The Amazing Spider-Man slated for release this summer, will not be returning to direct any more Spider-Man movies. It is still a rumor, so take this info with a grain of salt, but if true, it is very interesting, indeed.

lol you guys are hopeless. ill let someone else waste their time talking you down. keep up the long detailed lists/tirades based on tv spots and trailers though. im expecting a 300 page thesis on why the movie is unrealistic and/or a betrayal of the character once you actually see the film.

hopefully you loved the Raimi movies because otherwise you're kinda screwed.

lol you guys are hopeless. ill let someone else waste their time talking you down. keep up the long detailed lists/tirades based on tv spots and trailers though. im expecting a 300 page thesis on why the movie is unrealistic and/or a betrayal of the character once you actually see the film.

hopefully you loved the Raimi movies because otherwise you're kinda screwed.

Nah,we'll let the folks over at Red Letter Media do that. They've got overly-detailed nitpicking down to a science. :cwink:

Folks, the car thief scene, as it stands, makes no degree of sense whatsoever for the following reasons:

1. How did Spidey get into the back seat of a locked car before the carjacker broke into it? Does he have Nightcrawler's powers now? At least when Batman seems to appear and disappear out of nowhere, he at least has ninja skills and completely open spaces to work with.

2. Even if Spidey somehow managed to get into the car before the carjacker with his spidey speed and in complete silence, how did he know which car the carjacker would break into beforehand? I guess his spider-sense is now full-blown precognition?

3. How does the carjacker not even notice Spider-Man is in the backseat of the car? Granted it is somewhat dark, but I think it would be pretty darn easy to see somebody wearing an outlandish and brightly-colored red and blue outfit sitting in the backseat. Unless the car thief really is really that visually impaired and/or color blind. After all, he does think that Spidey is a cop initially.

4. When Spidey first webs the guy inside the car, you can see that the web attaches to both the carjacker's mouth and arm. But then in the very next cut, they've suddenly vanished. So where did the webbing go? I thought it was supposed to dissolve in an hour, not instantaneously. Nice consistency with the visual effects there, filmmakers. :oldrazz:

5. How does Spidey get out of the back seat of the car and behind the carjacker without opening the back door or rolling down the windows? I don't remember seeing the inside light coming on which usually happens when anyone opens a car door. More teleportation powers and spidey ninja skills, I guess.

6. If this scene is taking place as rumored after Uncle Ben is killed but before he apprehends his Uncle's killer (hence why he's apparently checking the carjacker's wrist to see if he has some distinguishing mark or tattoo that Uncle Ben's killer had) then why is Spidey making with the wisecracks, as well as being a complete *****ebag besides? Spider-Man fans know that whenever someone he loves gets killed or seriously hurt, Spidey stops making jokes. If Spidey merely suspected this guy killed his Uncle, I doubt he would be toying with and bullying him like he is here.

7. When an abbreviated version of this scene showed up months earlier, Marc Webb explained that the reason why Spidey is acting the way he is at that moment is because he's "feeling drunk on his power" and "having a really good time." But if this scene is taking place after his Uncle Ben's murder, wouldn't he have stopped "feeling drunk on his power" after his Uncle was killed? I thought his Uncle's death was the thing which taught him not to be "drunk on his power."

8. What kind of cop (even if it is a cop from New York, no offense) tries to shoot a person and nearly kills another in the process immediately after he tells the guy to freeze? Granted, Spidey is making a move towards him, somewhat, but hasn't this cop ever heard of the concept of a "warning shot?"

9. What brought the motorcycle cop there in the first place? More importantly, what brought all the other cop cars there? We didn't exactly see the motorcycle cop call for back-up. Did they all respond to shots being fired within a span of ten seconds? Were they part of some sting operation to catch the carjacker that Spidey inadvertently interfered with? Was the guy parking the car part of it? If so, how do the cops know that was the car the carjacker would steal? And if it was a sting operation, why go through all this effort to catch one measly carjacker?

10. Why is Spidey, a guy who can literally leap across buildings, climb walls, and has devices which allow him to create webbing for him to swing on, literally running away on foot from the scene down a busy street? If he's able to somersault over that cop with such ease, what was to stop him from leaping onto the building and scampering away? Wouldn't that have been safer as opposed to running into traffic and leaping onto moving vehicles?

I know, it seems like I'm nitpicking and this is a two minute scene out of a 136 minute-long movie so we have yet to see it in it's proper context, but even so.

Alright first off, how he got into the car.
The device that the thief is using acts sort of like that little remote you use to unlock you car. And when you use that, ALL doors open. Spidey could have slipped in right as the thief slipped into the car.
As for the webbin aspect, due to that random cut with Spidey webbing that guy up to him randomly laughing, I think that this might be an early version of the scene without full visual effects put in. Now as for how Spidey gets out LC the car, if you listen closely to the clip, when the thief is going out the window Spidey says "Whoa" and you hear a car door open and close. And Spidey can be very fast and sneaky when he wants to be. As for him joking towards the guy, if you pay attention, especially during the car scene, his voice tone is very sinister and threatening. He could be using the thief as a metaphorical punching bag, releasing all of his anger and frustration out on him by humiliating him (webbing him in the crotch, laughing at him) as much as possible. Thennhe charges at him and starts analyzing him. Now, as to how the cop got there, right when Spidey webs the guy to the wall, the guy starts screaming for help, and in New York there's always a cop nearby, so when the cop heard the yells he may have called for back up. And the reason why he starts shooting is because not only does he sort of move towards him, but there's a guy behind him all webbed up and scared as h*ll. Plus, the cop told him to freeze and Spidey moved towards him. Maybe he was a rookie and Captain Stacey could get onto him when he confronts them after the chase scene. And as for Spidey running away, maybe he wasn't thinking straight and panicked, which is why he grabbed onto the back of the truck. Or maybe he wasn't in the right position at the time for to swing, because you have think about physics and height, there might not have been many tall buildings nearby.

Spider-Man is one of those characters you can really only do via CG or animation. He moves way too creepy and fast for practical stuntwork.

This is where comic book drawings and live action movies separate. What's the point of live action if it's just gonna be animation, might as well just make a cartoon then.

Much as I wanted to resist, I saw that clip with the car thief, and it's more hilarious before the knife thing, pulling the door closed like that is awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"