The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'The Avengers Sequels' started by Thread Manager, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm Venom

I'm Venom "Hi, honey..."

What about the setup they had in the last Hulk film with The Leader? Also, out of all the guys they have to choose from for the Avengers to face, it would be boring to have the villain be Hulk in Part 3. Assuming we get Thanos for Part 2, I want to see something new, like a team of villains like the Masters of Evil.

2. terry78

terry78 I'm gonna need more rope

At this point in the history of the character there shouldn't even be Three's Company-ish misunerstandings between Hulk and the other heroes, yet writers still find ways to integrate it. Even when Wolverine and Thing went to go find Hulk in that one story and Thing asks Logan if they should just hear Banner's side of the story before attacking him, Logan just gives him a deadpan look like he's a moron for even thinking it.

3. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

I don't know, but I need it to include my Blonde-Wig Thanos avatar over there <------ (courtesy of Jaqua99)

4. BatsDC

BatsDC Side-Kicker

I personally feel Planet Hulk's something they should only do if they are 100% certain it's the right direction for Hulk. They already have the Leader set up, plus in the public's eyes the Hulk helped save Earth during the Chitauri invasion. Would seem a little odd for him to then be sent into space.

I wrote up this idea for the 'scoop' if it were to happen in the MCU thread, If anybody's interested, here it is

5. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

The old ditch logic for a superhero fight tactic :hyper:

6. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Having the GOTG in there as well would take too much focus off the Avengers, IMO.

Plus, I don't really like the fact that them being there would probably limit expanding the Avengers roster.

7. cherokeesam

Unless there weren't plans to expand the Avengers roster that much after all.

At this point, I don't see any evidence mounting to support anyone other than Falcon and *maybe* War Machine getting their Avenger Club Cards in TA2. Characters like (Gi)Ant-Man, Wasp, Ms. Marvel, Black Panther, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Wonder Man, Vision, Mar-Vell, Tigra, She-Hulk, Mockingbird, Moon Knight, Spider-Woman, Quasar, Justice, Triathlon, Jack of Hearts, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Dr. Strange, Daredevil or anybody else are almost certainly Phase III at the earliest.

I certainly don't see any of the Guardians being invited to join the Avengers officially; but they sure as hell will be needed to defeat Thanos. At this point, I think it's inevitable that TA2 is going to actually be an Avenger-Guardian team-up.

8. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

They could use Mockingbird in the SHIELD tv show.

9. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I really hope she does show up.

10. Namor!

Namor! The Submariner!!!

I hope there is some references to Namor in the Shield tv show.

11. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

I think there's still a chance that the Pyms could show up in some capacity. But otherwise, I'd agree they really haven't opened any oppurtunities for many more new characters.

12. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

Pretty much. Avengers are going to be 7 man team at best with Guardians and maybe Nova and Warlock teaming up with them.

13. Crimson King

Crimson King Superhero Novelista

I still think we're going to see Ms. Marvel in the SHIELD show, paving her way to becoming the newest Avenger. It makes too much sense. They need a bridge to connect the two properties and she's the perfect character to do it.

14. Mr. Dent

It doesn't make that much sense. For one thing, Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel would work best with their own movie. For another, Carol is not a SHIELD agent. Clark Gregg already connects the two. Emily VanCamp will almost certainly be in the show at some point. Same for Cobie Smulders. Wendell Vaughn has a better chance of being set-up in the SHIELD show than Carol.

15. Crimson King

They already did it on EMH. Mar-Vell was a SHIELD scientist and Carol was assisting him. That entire storyline is basically a blueprint for what should happen with the SHIELD show. Since they're not going to directly interact with the Avengers or their villains, having SHIELD investigate a possible Kree threat is a perfect storyline to bring a new Avenger into the fold. Plus, Whedon already said he wants more females on the team in A2. Ms. Marvel is the best bet.

16. Chewy

Chewy REDACTED

Carol is director of SHIELD in the later Ultimates stuff

17. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

I also hope that we'll have actual scenes where the ENTIRE team is fighting in the same area/place since I was kind of disappointed that we never got a moment where we had all of them charging at the enemy at the same time.

I also hope that whoever the main villain is this time around, will give everyone a good fight and really take everyone to their limits and beyond.

Loki was bested by too many of the heroes in rather easy ways imho in "The Avengers".

18. Mr. Dent

It "shouldn't" happen. It could, but I bet it won't nor would it be the best solution for Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel. Like I said, they need their own film. There's no reason to rush her onto the team. And wanting another female doesn't mean he'll realistically be able to put one on the team. Gamora will be in the movie as well anyway.

19. Crimson King

Having her featured on SHIELD is just as good as her having her own film. It wouldn't be rushing her onto the team, not if she's an ongoing character on TV. It's a natural progression.

You don't think Whedon will get a female onto the team? Who's going to tell him no?

20. Mr. Dent

No it wouldn't. In order to have Ms. Marvel, Captain Marvel has to come first. In order to have Captain Marvel you must have space and Kree involved. No way are they going to do the type of intensive CGI necessary for that on a TV show. I don't care if he's posing as a SHIELD scientist, in the end they would still have to address that. And it just doesn't make sense not to try and capitalize on Captain/Ms. Marvel with a movie when they have the potential for it, nor does it make sense to have one of your major Avengers members established on a TV show. It's not happening.

It's not a matter of someone telling him no, it's what works with the story. There are no female Avengers for him to set up in time for A2. I already explained why Ms. Marvel would be a bad idea. It doesn't make sense to have Wasp before the Ant-Man film that is already dated for release.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  21. Chewy

Chewy REDACTED

I honestly have no idea why anyone thinks all of the Guardians will be showing up here. It makes a heck of a lot more sense to introduce a single new character in Avengers 2 than in does to take a half dozen characters from the Guardians movie and stuff them into Avengers 2.

This is a movie, not a comic. It's a major disservice both to this film and those characters to shove them all in this movie, instead of allowing the Avengers themselves time to continue to grow and develop as an ensemble.

22. cherokeesam

We're working under the assumption that TA2 pits them against Thanos, obviously. And if Thanos is the Big Bad for TA2, there's simply no way you could introduce him and the characters (good and bad) surrounding him in GOTG in 2014, then have him show up again less than a year later and not have the Guardians referenced again. They don't have to take up a lot of face time; this *is* an Avengers film, after all. But they should certainly be part of the proceedings in helping the Avengers find the Mad Titan's achilles heel.

Without the Guardians in play, the Avengers would be flying blind against Thanos.

23. Mr. Dent

You're right, this is a movie, and that's why a dozen heroes works. If they were trying to go for a straight up adaptation of the comics then this movie would have at least 2 dozen heroes in it; instead they're going for a smaller, tighter event. I've already explain why having the Guardians in the film would work.

You also seem to be working under the assumption that A2 will bring the Avengers closer as a team, which isn't necessarily the case. Furthermore, it would not be a disservice to have the Guardians in the film considering Thanos is their villain and is directly related to Drax and Gamora.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  24. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I think a lot of the audience for Avengers 1 didn't necessarily know there was an actual team of the same name but thought Marvel were merely combining all their heroes into one big event movie and calling it the Avengers. This is even more the case in he UK where the film was called Marvel Avengers Assemble. Substitute the word Heroes for Avengers and you'd think it even more.

So having all the Guardians team up with the heroes from the first film will make the audience think that Marvel are just teaming up more heroes and that the Guardians are now part of the same team.

25. Mr. Dent

I really doubt this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.