Sequels The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd never describe Hank and Jan's relationship as brother and sister-like.

In fact, I don't think any couple would like to have their relationship described that way:

Sue Richards: "Darling, when we make love, you know I think of you just like a brother."

Reed: :dry:

No no no. Thats not what I meant.

That by saying brother/sister he is indeed alluding to Wanda/Pietro and that's just what he wants us to think. But the casting he is talking about is actually being done for Hank and Jan and we won't find out until further down the road.

Seems like he would've simply not mentioned it instead of coming up with such a random smokescreen :hehe:

Marvel was never shy about confirming which heroes would be in Avengers, they just didn't confirm Loki until late in the process and Thanos/Chitauri until the movie came out. And again here Whedon says that he can't talk about the "new villains"

I hope we see Quicksilver, there is the potential for some cool action sequences with him.

well it's a good way to pre-empt any attempt by DC to make a Flash movie.

I'd never describe Hank and Jan's relationship as brother and sister-like.

In fact, I don't think any couple would like to have their relationship described that way:

Sue Richards: "Darling, when we make love, you know I think of you just like a brother."

Reed: :dry:

in one reality, Johnny and Reed are married.

well it's a good way to pre-empt any attempt by DC to make a Flash movie.

I don't know if the competition is with DC to get Quicksilver on screen first before the Flash as much as it is against Fox and getting their version of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch out first.

Whichever character comes to film 2nd out of the speedsters will have that disadvantage with the general audience.

Is there a chance Joss is just trollin?..lol, i wouldnt put it past him

T"Challa;25699089 said:
I have a feeling he may be but he's hard to read at times. Sometimes can't tell if he's being snarky or serious.

I have a feeling he may be but he's hard to read at times. Sometimes can't tell if he's being snarky or serious.

Watching the videos I think Whedon was dead serious.

Reading over the last few pages, it's astonishing to see the gyrations people went through to try to deny that Whedon was referring to Wanda & Pietro, or to shoehorn other characters into that "brother & sister act" description. There is only one brother and sister act from back in the day as far as The Avengers are concerned, and that is the Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver. It damn sure isn't Hank and Jan. :doh:

Things can definitely change down the line as future drafts are written, but this news fills me with glee. Wanda has always been my favorite superheroine, with Jan a close second. The Scarlet Witch's unique powers make her the true female powerhouse in Marvel's catalog of characters. Adding her to The Avengers' roster won't merely duplicate the powers and backgrounds of the other heroes, who mainly rely on strength or physical weapons and are associated with the military or are spies. Wanda can give the team a massive power boost and visual dynamics on screen.

The fact that the Scarlet Witch is not a knockoff of a preexisting male character is also a plus as far as I am concerned. Wanda is her own person, with her own powers, strengths and weaknesses. The connection to Magneto in the comics is less a concern to me than to others because I remember when he was just a sadistic bastard who virtually enslaved Wanda & Pietro, before their relationship was regrettably retconned. With Whedon in control of her cinematic destiny, there is less cause to fear that Wanda will be turned into a pathetic psychopath in the MCU as she was in the comics.

I'd be very surprised if the characters Joss is talking about are Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. No way he would let something that big slip. It could be Aurora and Northstar.

I think Pietro would fit in with certain characters Joss has written in the past who have been arrogant bastards with some redeeming qualities - like Spike for example. It would certainly offer the opportunity for Pietro to make scathing comments about the rest of the team and get away with it.

James Marsters is too old for Quicksilver now - in fact he was pretty old when he even played Spike - but he could've worked back in the day.

Like I said before though, I'd rather have someone a bit european for Pietro just to give that added smugness to his character. Anyone Norwegian, Danish, Icelandic, Serbian, Croatian, Romanian etc can apply.

I don't know if the competition is with DC to get Quicksilver on screen first before the Flash as much as it is against Fox and getting their version of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch out first.

Yeah I agree with this, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver has a ton of potential, want to jump in on that before Fox.

Other than the Maximoffs, what other characters can be used by both sides?

Viper. Has already been done in The Wolverine, but she doesn't have her trademark dark green/ black hair or green lipstick.

blogger-image-1890008120.jpg

I would think the Skrulls. Or maybe Marvel will just continue using the Chitauri as a Skrull substitute.

he didn't let anything slip, he specifically mentioned brother & sister in two separate interviews. You really think it's more likely to be Aurora and Northstar? Really? It has to be Wanda & Pietro.

Although I would kill for an Alpha Flight movie.

Yeah after the first Yahoo video I thought it might have been a slip. But in the THR video he's very deliberate with his answer, and says that the info's out there because he's already talking to actors about the roles

(Which makes me suspect one or both of them may cameo in one of these other Phase 2 movies ala Hawkeye)

I think Pietro would fit in with certain characters Joss has written in the past who have been arrogant bastards with some redeeming qualities - like Spike for example. It would certainly offer the opportunity for Pietro to make scathing comments about the rest of the team and get away with it.

James Marsters is too old for Quicksilver now - in fact he was pretty old when he even played Spike - but he could've worked back in the day.

Like I said before though, I'd rather have someone a bit european for Pietro just to give that added smugness to his character. Anyone Norwegian, Danish, Icelandic, Serbian, Croatian, Romanian etc can apply.
They should cast Fassbender as Quicksilver :hehe:

When Whedon said they were a brother and sister act from back in the day when he read comics, he obviously meant Wanda & Pietro. They have been around since 1964 and would definitely have been in the Avengers comics that Whedon read when he was a kid. Alpha Flight didn't hit the scene until the 1980s. It's not Aurora & Northstar, or Fenris, or Dormammu & Umar.

It's not Sue & Johnny either, so stop thinking that. :o

They should cast Fassbender as Quicksilver :hehe:

Tom Felton is Quicksilver. He was born for that role. (It might be typecasting, though.)

T"Challa;25699089 said:
I don't think it would be completely made up. Joss is kind of like a fan himself in the way he thinks and behaves and I don't think he would totally mislead with no substance. Things might change of course and whatever he's referring to might not happen at all but I' m pretty sure that his statment is based on something at least.

Yeah after the first Yahoo video I thought it might have been a slip. But in the THR video he's very deliberate with his answer, and says that the info's out there because he's already talking to actors about the roles

(Which makes me suspect one or both of them may cameo in one of these other Phase 2 movies ala Hawkeye)
Wait what? Info is out there? Either Joss is out of touch or he's not talking about the Maximoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"