The Batman Reboot Casting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're living in dreamland. It means a lot to studios too. Fassbender nailed First Class, he was universally praised as the highlight of that film.

Fassbender, himself, confirmed they're working on the first sequel right now (SHH News page) and he's under contract to play this character for a triology.

He CAN'T be Batman with Warner Bros after this. To the public, he IS Magneto, and the sequels will just reinforce that.... just like with Jackman.

I read that interview as well, I'm sure he said he is only contracted for one more X-Men film.

I don't think the reasons you cited in the last paragraph are why he wouldn't play Bm in the future.
If he signed up for a third X-Men movie, the timing would probably clash, they spend a lot of time on these movies. He's getting on a bit as well.
They'll probably cast someone in their twenties or early thirties, as they'll be thinking about long term sequels.

Last edited:
You're living in dreamland. It means a lot to studios too. Fassbender nailed First Class, he was universally praised as the highlight of that film.

Fassbender, himself, confirmed they're working on the first sequel right now (SHH News page) and he's under contract to play this character for a triology.

He CAN'T be Batman with Warner Bros after this. To the public, he IS Magneto, and the sequels will just reinforce that.... just like with Jackman.

Hugh Jackman was nearly cast in The Dark Knight. Him being involved with X-Men had nothing to do with Aaron Eckhart being cast instead. If Fassbender wanted to be in the next Bat-Film, it's his choice, not the studios. The only way it would interfere would be if they intentionally made X-Men: Second Class interfere with Batman.

Nope. Fassbender is under contract for two more X-men First Class films. Standard trilogy options contract.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/169195-michael-fassbender-talks-x-men-first-class-sequel

Ok, when he said 'they contracted me for two options', I thought he meant two movies in total. Because of course, before the camera starts rolling on the first movie, there is still the option to shut down production. So, the way he said it, it means he was contracted for two movies.
not my mistake, if there was indeed a mistake made.

edit: and another thing...I was thinking at first, aye, he would make a good Batman, but then i was trying to picture him in the suit, and i just can't picture him in a Batman outfit without him looking ridiculous...

Nope. Two 'options' means sequels. It's standard Hollywood contract talk.

They can always release him from that contract, but given the popularity of his performance, it's unlikely.

Routh was under a similar contract before it expired. Fassbender's contract with Fox could expire too, if the sequel isn't made.. but so far it's looking like the wheels are in motion for it.

I actually wouldn't be shocked if they named it "Magneto," given how the first film ended and how this entire project evolved from Bryan Singer's desire to do a Magneto film.

Hugh Jackman was nearly cast in The Dark Knight. Him being involved with X-Men had nothing to do with Aaron Eckhart being cast instead. If Fassbender wanted to be in the next Bat-Film, it's his choice, not the studios. The only way it would interfere would be if they intentionally made X-Men: Second Class interfere with Batman.

Hugh Jackman was almost Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight? I didn't know that.

Hugh Jackman was almost Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight? I didn't know that.

Actually, the way I heard it, Matt Damon was set to play him, he was the actor who was right behind Aaron Eckhart in the running stakes. I think there was a scheduling conflict.

I actually wouldn't be shocked if they named it "Magneto," given how the first film ended and how this entire project evolved from Bryan Singer's desire to do a Magneto film.

eh, XMFC basically used up all the ideas that were generated from the Magneto origins movie, it was the better idea to go that way imo.

Actually, the way I heard it, Matt Damon was set to play him, he was the actor who was right behind Aaron Eckhart in the running stakes. I think there was a scheduling conflict.

I knew that Jackman and Eckhart were in the forerunning for the part, but I didn't know about Damon. Jackman was in negotiation because of working with both Chris' and Alfred on The Prestige. He was at the very least in the final few, but this was all blown out of proportion in 2006, and Jackman had to declare fully he was no longer in negotiation. Still, didn't know about Damon, you learn something every day.

Bale is a much better actor (Fassbender is still great though).
I disagree. I think they're pretty evenly matched as actors on the whole (great actors, that is), but I still feel Fassbender would be a better Batman, even with the same direction, because I think the role naturally plays more to his strengths (being charismatic and magnetic without saying much).

Last edited:
I wouldn't curse such a gifted actor with such a lame character

I disagree. I think they're pretty evenly matched as actors on the whole (great actors, that is), but I still feel Fassbender would be a better Batman, even with the same direction, because I think the role naturally plays more to his strengths (being charismatic and magnetic without saying much).

I agree.

Fassbender has more range. He's definitely going to be very high profile after "Shame" and "A Dangerous Method."

There are a couple guys I'd like to see as Brucey/Batman:
Jackson-Hurst-drop-dead-diva-16835840-300-376.jpg

Jackson Hurst

OR...

2024_726_lg.jpg

David Giuntoli

And then this image made me a believer in Sharlto Copley as Joker...
SharltoCopleyA-Team.jpg

I still kinda like Sam Jaeger

tho, he might be more suited for a live act TV show
(as he's not really well known as a movie actor)

Chris Evans as A member of the fantastic 4 and Captain America begs to differ.

chris evans was part of an ensemble piece in F4 not really the same as say playing basically the lead in 1 super hero film to play the lead in another not to mention 2 completey different looks and personalities from johnny to steve

fassbender for example his look would'nt change from magneto to bruce wayne but his hair color being a little darker and would still be a dark brooding character

Last edited:
And Fantastic Four was panned publically and critically... First Class, in contrast, was praised... mainly due to MF.

And Fantastic Four was panned publically and critically... First Class, in contrast, was praised... mainly due to MF.
Praised, sure, but far from a hit. This is a very different situation from Jackman/X-men. More people saw Evans in Fantastic Four than Fassbender in X-Men: First Class, and the Human Torch was the most popular character to come out of that series as well. And it's not like Fassbender's ONLY identified by that role. Unlike Jackman, he was being talked about well before XM:FC came about, thanks to Hunger and Inglourious Basterds. Right at this moment, he seems best known for being an Oscar snub for Shame, and for his...other assets, thanks to George Clooney and the press surrounding that movie. They often don't even mention that he's Magneto. Compare that to media coverage about Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman, where "Batman" and "Wolverine" often don't make it far past the headlines before being mentioned. And let's not forget, regardless of being portrayed in a sympathetic light, Magneto's a villain, and if there's a sequel, will no doubt be seen as such. I think playing a villain in one franchise and a hero in another is more than enough of a leap to separate the characters in people's minds. Besides, I seriously doubt we'll see him as Magneto for any more than one more film, if even that.

The X-Men franchise, despite getting a jolt of quality from FC, is a sinking financial ship. I think if the FC sequel actually happens (which I won't be completely confident is happening until filming starts), it will make more money than FC because FC was so darn good, but not much more. They aren't gaining a whole new audience with these movies like the 1st two did. Now they're just trying to keep their established audience coming back for more.

Praised, sure, but far from a hit. This is a very different situation from Jackman/X-men. More people saw Evans in Fantastic Four than Fassbender in X-Men: First Class, and the Human Torch was the most popular character to come out of that series as well. And it's not like Fassbender's ONLY identified by that role. Unlike Jackman, he was being talked about well before XM:FC came about, thanks to Hunger and Inglourious Basterds. Right at this moment, he seems best known for being an Oscar snub for Shame, and for his...other assets, thanks to George Clooney and the press surrounding that movie. They often don't even mention that he's Magneto. Compare that to media coverage about Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman, where "Batman" and "Wolverine" often don't make it far past the headlines before being mentioned. And let's not forget, regardless of being portrayed in a sympathetic light, Magneto's a villain, and if there's a sequel, will no doubt be seen as such. I think playing a villain in one franchise and a hero in another is more than enough of a leap to separate the characters in people's minds. Besides, I seriously doubt we'll see him as Magneto for any more than one more film, if even that.

The X-Men franchise, despite getting a jolt of quality from FC, is a sinking financial ship. I think if the FC sequel actually happens (which I won't be completely confident is happening until filming starts), it will make more money than FC because FC was so darn good, but not much more. They aren't gaining a whole new audience with these movies like the 1st two did. Now they're just trying to keep their established audience coming back for more.

I completely disagree. X:FC was a successful reboot, just like Batman Begins and Star Trek. Just like them, it wasn't a super box office smash, but built up enough buzz and legs to make it a good investment franchise for Fox. Fassbender's performance stood out. All the media outlets seemed to mention him as what made the film.

X:FC reimagined X-men for new audiences, throwing in elements of Bond in there... it made it fresh.

The sequel will happen.

Besides, I seriously doubt we'll see him as Magneto for any more than one more film, if even that.

He said he's contracted for two more, and the film centers around his character and Charles... obviously he'll be in all the films. Magneto is crucial to the storyline and his importance is just going to grow.

Fassbender is perfect in that role too. Marvel got him.

personally i just want harley to appear hell i'll even take a marvel style cameo.

still dont know why nolan didnt do a scene of joker in arkham with a blonde doctor asking what to call him and he responds mr. J

Because it would have added nothing to the film.

Because it would have added nothing to the film.

sorry didnt realise every scene even a 30 second right at the end had to have some deep impact on an already story heavy 2 and half hour film

how about something just for the sake of being a cool scene, i'm not asking nolan to drop to bay level stupidity, but some throw ins for fans are 99% of the time always well received

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"