The Avengers The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

This deleted scene and alternate opening seem like they're from a different movie. A much better one at that.

The deleted Cap scenes were good, but the alternate opening/ending were not as strong. Showing us a glimpse at the coming invaders and leading that into Loki's arrival was far stronger, and was a better way of showing the looming threat our heroes had to overcome. The alternate opening gives Hill more character, yes, but doesn't grab the audience's interest as much. By that same token, we the audience respect Nick Fury more than Maria Hill given we have seen him in past films. Thus, when he is telling the council to shut up like a boss, it is awesome. Maria Hill hasn't earned that with us, thus she makes a weaker narrator.

The right decisions were made in cutting the alternate opening/ending. The Cap stuff I can see was cut for film flow reasons, but they are great scenes that would have added to him. Still, I think Cap was a strong character in the film without them.

The deleted Cap scenes were good, but the alternate opening/ending were not as strong. Showing us a glimpse at the coming invaders and leading that into Loki's arrival was far stronger, and was a better way of showing the looming threat our heroes had to overcome. The alternate opening gives Hill more character, yes, but doesn't grab the audience's interest as much. By that same token, we the audience respect Nick Fury more than Maria Hill given we have seen him in past films. Thus, when he is telling the council to shut up like a boss, it is awesome. Maria Hill hasn't earned that with us, thus she makes a weaker narrator.

The right decisions were made in cutting the alternate opening/ending. The Cap stuff I can see was cut for film flow reasons, but they are great scenes that would have added to him. Still, I think Cap was a strong character in the film without them.

Oh it was so good though. It would have made the final film much better IMO. As I watched the film while I loved it, I felt like Cap was shortchanged just a bit. We NEEDED to see him upset about the world I think...the scenes should have stayed!

I just noticed that during the argument between all of them on the Helicarrier, Cap tells Tony to "Show some respect". Loved that.

Of all of the times I have seen this movie in the theater, the part where Tony pokes Banner with that prod, well, everytime, the theater would erupt in laughter, and I would only hear Steve just go "hey" to Tony. I watched the movie yesterday, and I just then found out he calls to Tony "are you nuts?" I just found it funny, and true, Tony was nuts, and he really was putting everybody's life at risk doing that stupid stunt.

Of all of the times I have seen this movie in the theater, the part where Tony pokes Banner with that prod, well, everytime, the theater would erupt in laughter, and I would only hear Steve just go "hey" to Tony. I watched the movie yesterday, and I just then found out he calls to Tony "are you nuts?" I just found it funny, and true, Tony was nuts, and he really was putting everybody's life at risk doing that stupid stunt.

The stunt in prodding Bruce? It would hardly be enough to trigger his transformation into the Hulk.

Am I the only one who thought going into the movie that it'd be hard to swallow Chris Evans/ Robert Downey Jr dynamic, but was shocked when it worked perfectly?

I thought that it'd be damn near impossible to buy 46 year old Robert Downey Jr calling 30 year old Chris Evans "Old Man", but it worked.

Maybe, if the roles were being played by lesser actors it wouldnt have come off but RDJ and Evans are very, very good at what they do.

Maybe, if the roles were being played by lesser actors it wouldnt have come off but RDJ and Evans are very, very good at what they do.

Definitely. I was worried about Downey acting circles around Evans. Chris held his own though.

I thought that it'd be damn near impossible to buy 46 year old Robert Downey Jr calling 30 year old Chris Evans "Old Man", but it worked.

I knew they'd pull it off from the start. That was hilarious. Chris really put on that whole 'Captain America' demeanor that's so different from his Torch persona and RDJ is...Gold. As always :)

Am I the only one who thought going into the movie that it'd be hard to swallow Chris Evans/ Robert Downey Jr dynamic, but was shocked when it worked perfectly?

It only worked because the audience accepted the idea that Chris Evans was actually Captain America and RDJ was Tony Stark. They inhabited the characters so we'll that people forgot that they where acting. Not to mention with Whedon's touch they ended up behaving more like there comic book counterparts.

The stunt in prodding Bruce? It would hardly be enough to trigger his transformation into the Hulk.

It wouldn't have worked, but Tony certainly hoped that it would.

Another little bit that I noticed was that when Steve said, "Are you nuts?" Tony replied, "Jury's out."

One thing that I didn't recognize until I had put on the subtitles was during the scene when everyone started arguing and how the camera started moving towards Loki's staff; when you read the subtitles, it definitely cues you in on something that would have been very hard to hear and make out with just the aid of your hearing, but we actually heard Steve telling Tony something like "Stark, if you make another wise crack, I swear to God..".

I thought it was pretty funny after hearing that line from Steve.lol

I also love Tony's line: 'This is the guy my dad wouldn't shut up about?' or something to that effect

One thing that I didn't recognize until I had put on the subtitles was during the scene when everyone started arguing and how the camera started moving towards Loki's staff; when you read the subtitles, it definitely cues you in on something that would have been very hard to hear and make out with just the aid of your hearing, but we actually heard Steve telling Tony something like "Stark, if you make another wise crack, I swear to God..".

I thought it was pretty funny after hearing that line from Steve.lol

I loved Tonys response: "He's threatening me, I feel threatened!"

It only worked because the audience accepted the idea that Chris Evans was actually Captain America and RDJ was Tony Stark. They inhabited the characters so we'll that people forgot that they where acting. Not to mention with Whedon's touch they ended up behaving more like there comic book counterparts.
Yes. And I've been so impressed with how well all of the cast have been inhabiting their roles in both the solo films and Avengers. Especially Chris Evans. He's just so perfectly fitting into the Captain America/Steve role. LOVE him!

I just realized that Captain America is really the only character in the film that had scenes showing him being formally introduced to every member on the team. Everyone else either already knew each other or met up with each other for the first time at the big battle. However, in Steve's case, we saw him being introduced to or meeting each member before the big battle:

1. He met Natasha after coming out of the Quinjet
2. He was introduced to Banner on the Hellcarrier
3. He met Stark in Germany
4. Met Thor on board the Quinjet
5. Met Hawkeye inside the Hellcarrier

By all accounts, he's already known for having the most screen time in the film; if his "man out of time" sequence had been kept in, it would have made it more evident.

I just realized that Captain America is really the only character in the film that had scenes showing him being formally introduced to every member on the team. Everyone else either already knew each other or met up with each other for the first time at the big battle. However, in Steve's case, we saw him being introduced to or meeting each member before the big battle:

1. He met Natasha after coming out of the Quinjet
2. He was introduced to Banner on the Hellcarrier
3. He met Stark in Germany
4. Met Thor on board the Quinjet
5. Met Hawkeye inside the Hellcarrier

By all accounts, he's already known for having the most screen time in the film; if his "man out of time" sequence had been kept in, it would have made it more evident.

agreed,

love this photo reposting it here
550198_539016099448300_1784025153_n.jpg

I wonder why Evans almost seems so morose about playing the character, based on the interviews of his I read. Out of the current slate of leads, I can see him leaving the franchise(s) the easiest. It's too bad, really. I'd like to see him as Cap for the next 10 years.

I wonder why Evans almost seems so morose about playing the character, based on the interviews of his I read. Out of the current slate of leads, I can see him leaving the franchise(s) the easiest. It's too bad, really. I'd like to see him as Cap for the next 10 years.

Evans has been very open about the fact that he suffers from anxiety and has difficulty handling the public aspects of promoting blockbuster studio movies. He was reluctant to take the role for that reason and because he didn't want the loss of privacy that comes from becoming well known. It's one of those situations where the work itself suits him fine, but all the crap that goes along with it is the problem. Most people can understand that very well.

One of the things I detested about the Avengers (don't get me wrong I loved it!) was the underuse of Captain America. (See image below).

366-9.jpg

It was this issue that made me a fan of Captain America for the very first time. I always thought he was just some weak mascot like Marvin and his wonder dog only there to lift the spirits of the other capable heroes, but when he pwned the controller using his combat acrobatics I was an instant fan, so much so, that same afternoon in 1987 I was doing backflips on Mrs. Johnsons trampoline for 6 straight hours! Why then did we only get one freakin flip in this movie? There were so many opportunities for some good flips but no, he just flails his arms in anticipation of hitting the ground. They should seriously think about applying the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon approach to Captain America as he could have made this movie rock harder than it already did. Yea, I think Steve needs a better agent.

I grew up with the classic Cap tale 'How to Tame a Tumbler' [in which Cap's arguably at his most acrobatic] but even I know that acrobatic flips alone do not a Captain America make.

Evans has been very open about the fact that he suffers from anxiety and has difficulty handling the public aspects of promoting blockbuster studio movies. He was reluctant to take the role for that reason and because he didn't want the loss of privacy that comes from becoming well known. It's one of those situations where the work itself suits him fine, but all the crap that goes along with it is the problem. Most people can understand that very well.

Yes that is very undertandable, and too bad because he is so great in the part. It would be terrible to lose him. I felt so bad for the guy when I realized this.:csad:

i'm sure he'll be around for a while

Yeah, he doesn't seem to relish the spotlight as much as Hemsworth or Downey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"