The Captain Marvel box office prediction thread

1st Black Panther trailer came in early July for film released in mid Feb. Captain Marvel comes out in March. So if it comes in Sept, it only would have been 1 month later relative to the release windows of those films respectively. If it drops in Sept, that would still be 6 months before release. Plenty of time.
Also, that BP trailer was earlier than usual from Marvel's norm. Civil War came out first week of May, and its first trailer didn't arrive until the end of November. TWS was released in the first week of April, and its trailer didn't hit 'til the end of October. So late September/early October is right in their typical wheelhouse for a movie hitting in early March.

1st Black Panther trailer came in early July for film released in mid Feb. Captain Marvel comes out in March. So if it comes in Sept, it only would have been 1 month later relative to the release windows of those films respectively. If it drops in Sept, that would still be 6 months before release. Plenty of time.

If you want to get technical, Black Panther already had hype even before the first trailer landed because of his intro in Civil War.

If you want to get technical, Black Panther already had hype even before the first trailer landed because of his intro in Civil War.

And Captain Marvel by that same token has hype because of the post credits tease in IW. If you still want to get technical.

Most people didn't even know what that symbol meant. At my viewing of IW I heard many in the background saying "we stayed for that! pfft..."

They will know it once trailers start.

Doesn't mean they'll care unless it's a good trailer.

I feel like it's the same thing every time with these flicks: "there's just no hype for this." *trailers come out, marketing kicks into gear* "I can't believe people thought there was no hype for this!"

Marvel knows what they're doing.

Tell that to some of the "fans" in the Dark Phoenix thread.

Dark Phoenix is a whole other situation entirely.

Dark Phoenix is a whole other situation entirely.

Kinda hypocritical dontcha think? Anyway I hope we do get a trailer for both films sooner rather than later as it would at least give us something tangible to discuss.

Last edited:
Which can be said about every movie in the history of ever
Look back at your own words you were the one saying the end credit scene in IW meant something. Resting on your laurels is a recipe for disaster.

Kinda hypocritical dontcha think?
No. Marvel Studios is a well-oiled hit machine, and Fox is...not. And Dark Phoenix has already hit behind-the-scenes speed bumps and been delayed. Captain Marvel has been moving along like business as usual for Marvel. So it truly is an ENTIRELY different scenario.

Look back at your own words you were the one saying the end credit scene in IW meant something. Resting on your laurels is a recipe for disaster.

Black Panther was teased in Civil War, but if people hated the trailer it may have detailed anticipation. So again, you're restating an obvious point about any movie in history. Not exactly earth shattering that good trailers help sell a movie. That is an observation John Madden could make

Last edited:
No. Marvel Studios is a well-oiled hit machine, and Fox is...not. And Dark Phoenix has already hit behind-the-scenes speed bumps and been delayed. Captain Marvel has been moving along like business as usual for Marvel. So it truly is an ENTIRELY different scenario.

Kind of like Ant-Man, IM2, Thor: TDW, Avengers 1 etc... many films have behind the scenes drama/delays just because you don't want to admit it happened with Marvel doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Hell at one point Inhumans was to be a film.

Also I'm not saying that this even bode in the negative for CM but the straw man argument is something I see a lot of here these days which is strange to me.

Last edited:
Black Panther was teased in Civil War, but if people hated the trailer it may have detailed anticipation. So again, you're restating an obvious point about any movie in history. Not exactly earth shattering that good trailers help sell a movie. That is an observation John Madden could make
Who said I was trying to be "earth shattering?" My point was that the end credits scene vs a supporting role in a film aren't comparable.

It's same ballpark, even if one is closer to home plate

Kind of like Ant-Man, IM2, Thor: TDW, Avengers 1 etc... many films have behind the scenes drama/delays just because you don't want to admit it happened with Marvel doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Hell at one point Inhumans was to be a film.

Also I'm not saying that this even bods in the negative for CM but the straw man argument is something I see a lot of here these days which is strange to me.
It's REALLY simple: Marvel Studios has the strongest franchise track record in the business right now. Fox doesn't. There's nothing "straw man" about that. Even Marvel's "lesser" movies, barring The Incredible Hulk when they were first establishing themselves, were hits. Changing decisions about movies before they're ever made is one thing; delaying movies that have already been shot or are currently in production is a whole other can of worms. Fox X-Men movies have been the most hit-or-miss ongoing franchise around. They don't have the track record to back up that kind of confidence when one of their productions is seemingly trouble, especially when they've just lost the rights to the IP and have even less incentive to ensure a quality product for the longevity of the brand.

Captain Marvel has run as smoothly as any typical Marvel production, so they've given us no reasons to doubt it.

It's REALLY simple: Marvel Studios has the strongest franchise track record in the business right now. Fox doesn't. There's nothing "straw man" about that. Even Marvel's "lesser" movies, barring The Incredible Hulk when they were first establishing themselves, were hits. Changing decisions about movies before they're ever made is one thing; delaying movies that have already been shot or are currently in production is a whole other can of worms. Fox X-Men movies have been the most hit-or-miss ongoing franchise around. They don't have the track record to back up that kind of confidence when one of their productions is seemingly trouble, especially when they've just lost the rights to the IP and have even less incentive to ensure a quality product for the longevity of the brand.

Captain Marvel has run as smoothly as any typical Marvel production, so they've given us no reasons to doubt it.

Captain America not breaking 400 million and Thor only making 450 both with 150 million dollar+ budgets is pretty much breaking even not the "hits" you're making them out to be...

Captain America not breaking 400 million and Thor only making 450 both with 150 million dollar+ budgets is pretty much breaking even not the "hits" you're making them out to be...
They were deemed successes, and by the relative standards and expectations of them back then, they were. Critics liked them, audiences liked them, they made profits, established C-list characters as household names, and they built up hype for Avengers to explode. Phase 1 was a totally different ballgame from where they are now. Paramount was still their distributor, and it was pre-Avengers, before anyone knew how big they could even get.

Last edited:
Also, just a reminder, the ONLY reason to discuss Dark Phoenix on this board is if it is in relation to Captain Marvel, and in the case of this particular thread, their relative box office prospects. If you are here just to complain about the people on that board or about Marvel vs. Fox, you've come to the wrong place.

They were deemed successes, and by the relative standards and expectations of them back then, they were. Phase 1 was a totally different ballgame from where they are now. It was pre-Avengers, before anyone knew how big they could even get.

As you said: it's REALLY simple: Those films weren't "hits" for anyone's standards. You can't retroactively say those films are successful just to fit your narrative. People let rose colored glasses cloud what really happened with early Marvel films. It's why they asked for help from Disney in the first place to be a financial backer. Anyway I don't even know what the point of this conversation is so let's move on to what the title of this thread suggests and just agree to disagree.

With CM it will definitely need a great marketing strategy to be as successful as possible. It will need to be a fine walk between women empowerment and being too preachy (that includes Larsons press statements). I'm excited to see where it goes.

As you said: it's REALLY simple: Those films weren't "hits" for anyone's standards. You can't retroactively say those films are successful just to fit your narrative. People let rose colored glasses cloud what really happened with early Marvel films. It's why they asked for help from Disney in the first place to be a financial backer. Anyway I don't even know what the point of this conversation is so let's move on to what the title of this thread suggests and just agree to disagree.
Actually, Disney bought Marvel Studios because they were an upstart studio that built those early movies on loans. The goal was always to find a bigger studio backer that would allow them their autonomy. They produced smaller movies and smaller successes back then, but they WERE successes. I'm not changing anything. Marvel has built a steadier bridge to success than any studio franchise around and are basically the New Pixar in terms of critical/commercial success rates - the golden goose in Disney's stable. They are absolutely a hit machine that has earned the trust of critics, audiences and their investors/studio overlords multiple times over by now. Which is why Captain Marvel has absolutely nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Actually, Disney bought Marvel Studios because they were an upstart studio that built those early movies on loans. The goal was always to find a bigger studio backer that would allow them their autonomy. They produced smaller movies and smaller successes back then, but they WERE successes. I'm not changing anything. Marvel has built a steadier bridge to success than any studio franchise around and are basically the New Pixar in terms of critical/commercial success rates - the golden goose in Disney's stable. They are absolutely a hit machine that has earned the trust of critics, audiences and their investors/studio overlords multiple times over by now. Which is why Captain Marvel has absolutely nothing to worry about.

I stand by everything I said. Captain America and Thor cant be successful unless they are making the company more money not breaking even. At least X-Men: Apocalypse made a profit.

You seem to be moving the benchmark for Marvel fillms but scoff at X-Men movies. Hopefully people can keep an open mind until both CM and DP have something to judge marketing wise and not right things off. Didn't Logan have very low expectations before the trailer dropped. Not saying either film will be as good as that but to try to rewrite history that Marvel has only made hits and Fox can't make "successful" films is deluding yourself.

But moving on again has anyone heard anything about a trailer releasing for CM?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"