Dark Phoenix $ The DARK PHOENIX Box Office Speculation ThreaD $

I think the X-Men might be the brainchild of Tony Stark in the MCU.

'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' Could Be A Bigger Box Office Bomb Than 'Fantastic Four'

Since it could earn relatively less than Fant4tic, given its budget, then this film really shouldn't have been released to theatres. The argument before was that at least it could have the chance to earn back its costs, but it's not doing that at all.
Thìs is performing much worse than Fant4stic as this film is featuring returning cast members unlike with Fant4stic which had to also overcome the reboot X-Factor. Apocalypse was bad but still it had cast members from First Class and Dofp and the cast cameod in Deadpool 2. Also the X-Men have always been way more popular than the Fantastic Four in the movies, but it is performing as badly as Fant4stic if not worse.

Sure it does! If billion dollar solo movie gross doesn't get a character past the velvet ropes into the VIP lounge, then what pray tell does?
Time. A character doesn't become an A-lister because of one movie, especially when said movie is part of the most successful film franchise of all times.

Now, I think Black Panther is unquestionably on his way to become an A-lister but the jury's still out on the other two.

This post makes no sense.
Jumping the conclusions makes no sense. Captain Marvel and Aquaman have been out for only a few months. Declaring them A-lister seems a bit premature to me.

I think you're not reading what I'm writing here and just replying.

What I'm saying is that they don't have to make an origin movie to introduce the X-Men to MCU. People already know the X-Men. They could introduce the X-Men to MCU without Xavier in the era in the comics where Xavier is no longer in charge or part of the X-Men. In the MCU a lot of things they've changed from the comics like who cretes Ultron is Ant Man Hank Pym not Ironman and Hulk like they did in the movies. There's a lot of changes from the comics in the MCU, like the Ancient One is a man in the comics and in the MCU is a woman. So, they don't have to introduce the X-Men when they were young and under Xavier wings. They could introduce the X-men as the team already formed and Xavier no longer being part of them. Xavier could be mentioned in the movie but not being a part of it.

I feel like if Xavier, Wolverine, Mystique and Magneto are introduced to the first X-Men movie in the MCU they'll still the show again from the real first class which are Cyclops, Jean, Angel, Iceman and Beast. Let them shine for once!

We had 19 years of X-Men movies about Xavier, Magneto, Mystique and Wolverine. I really can't stand them anymore. They aren't essential to the X-Men. The comics survived years and years without them.

Why are you not including Jean in the list? He has two X-Men movies - not even solo - fully dedicated to her and her same old story again because there aren't many interesting Jean stories and they ended up being the worst films in the franchise both critically and also financially.for the DP.

If I were a MCU producer the last thing that would cross my mind removing Wolverine from the franchise and continue including Jean in the movies. I don't think we're gonna see Jean for a long time, certainly not in the first iteration of X-Men in the MCU. They will try to distance themselves from Dark Phoenix and The Last Stand as much as they can. They left a very bad taste in the audiences' mouth.

Time. A character doesn't become an A-lister because of one movie, especially when said movie is part of the most successful film franchise of all times.

Now, I think Black Panther is unquestionably on his way to become an A-lister but the jury's still out on the other two.

Jumping the conclusions makes no sense. Captain Marvel and Aquaman have been out for only a few months. Declaring them A-lister seems a bit premature to me.

Using a sports analogy, the A-List is the superhero All-Pro team, not the Hall of Fame. Who's hot NOW? CM, Panther and Aquaman may not all have longevity on their side, but they are on the A-List NOW. Even though their stay may not be particularly lengthy.

I don't understand why everybody is under the defacto assumption that Marvel are going to retcon in decades of X-Men history into the MCU. This presumption is why people have such a hard time wrapping their head around the existence of mutants in the MCU.

You can't just "drop" the audience into the heart of a universe like the X-Men *within a pre-established universe like the MCU without doing any world building and setup and the bar essentials like Xavier and Jean are crucial to the formations of the X-Men universe.

That's assuming Marvel's take on the X-Men isn't going to be radically different from the source material

Why are you not including Jean in the list? He has two X-Men movies - not even solo - fully dedicated to her and her same old story again because there aren't many interesting Jean stories and they ended up being the worst films in the franchise both critically and also financially.for the DP.
I agree with everything you said except that Last Stand didn't really focus on Jean -- there was more focus on 'The Cure' plot-line. The Jean/Phoenix plotline really is more of the secondary plotline in that movie

Yeah I would prefer if the MCU ditch Jean for awhile.

Last edited:
Using a sports analogy, the A-List is the superhero All-Pro team, not the Hall of Fame. Who's hot NOW? CM, Panther and Aquaman may not all have longevity on their side, but they are on the A-List NOW. Even though their stay may not be particularly lengthy.

Not much reason to believe that last part though. These giant blockbusters have an ENORMOUS impact on how well characters are known and loved by the general public. It is jarring for comic book fans who got used to the 80s/90s status quo for many years to the point that some have trouble believing it, but things have changed dramatically over the last decade and continue do so every year.

It definitely is an unprecedented situation. Not too long ago you had the big three of Superman, Batman and Spidey with folks like Wolvie, the Hulk, Green Lantern and the Flash making pretty much everyone's consensus Top 10. Those fellas dominated comic sales, cartoons and merchandise for DECADES.

Cut to today and you wouldn't put a movie featuring any one of those tried and true heroes against the BP, AM, CM or even the Venom sequels. It's ANARCHY, I tells ya!

And it really shows the mindset of the general public vs the avid comic book reader. The former want what's fresh, new and different, while the basement dwelling comic book reading neckbeards (of which I count myself a member despite living upstairs and struggling to grow facial hair) want the same thing over and over again.

Last edited:
It definitely is an unprecedented situation. Not too long ago you had the big three of Superman, Batman and Spidey with folks like Wolvie, the Hulk, Green Lantern and the Flash making pretty much everyone's consensus Top 10. Those fellas dominated comic sales, cartoons and merchandise for DECADES.

Cut to today and you wouldn't put a movie featuring any one of those tried and true heroes against the BP, AM, CM or even the Venom sequels. It's ANARCHY, I tells ya!

And it really shows the mindset of the general public vs the avid comic book reader. The former want what's fresh, new and different, while the basement dwelling comic book reading neckbeards (of which I count myself a member despite living upstairs and struggling to grow facial hair) want the same thing over and over again.

Along that same track, I don't think you can use comic book sales to measure much of anything regarding popularity anymore. They are such a tiny, tiny niche fraction of the fanbase as to be practically meaningless.

Aquaman's no A-lister. I don't care if he outgrossed Nolan :o

Exactly. I know the movie is supposed to be good, and I would happily buy it on Blu-ray and check it out...but no one else in my house wants it. My wife thinks he's hot, but not "let's buy the movie for 22.99" hot. My kids just think the character is lame (age 7 and 11). Me, I don't care enough to go and spend money on it unless someone in the house asks for it. For what it's worth, no one cared to see SHAZAM, either...aside from me. So...yeah. Sucks, but even if it were a BAD Spider-Man or Batman film, my children and I would have been there. That's how you spot the A-listers.

We must have a different definition of what an A-lister is because what you just described sounds more like the proverbial flavor of the week to me.

Exactly. I know the movie is supposed to be good, and I would happily buy it on Blu-ray and check it out...but no one else in my house wants it. My wife thinks he's hot, but not "let's buy the movie for 22.99" hot. My kids just think the character is lame (age 7 and 11). Me, I don't care enough to go and spend money on it unless someone in the house asks for it. For what it's worth, no one cared to see SHAZAM, either...aside from me. So...yeah. Sucks, but even if it were a BAD Spider-Man or Batman film, my children and I would have been there. That's how you spot the A-listers.

That's just you though. Another family living in Shanghai might feel the opposite.

That's why we need actual numbers. Ticket sales. Merchandise sales. Video game sales. These can be quantified.

I used to think I would do this even for X-men. I've been following these movies and have been posting on various incarnations of message boards since then.

Dark Phoenix was the first movie I didn't see in theatres.

I agree with the rest of your post though.

In this social media age? Sure it does. Black Panther and Captain Marvel are definitely A listers now. If being part of the most successful franchise and grossing a billion doesn't make you an A lister, I don't know what would do it.

This. I seriously don’t get it. The Antman films are **** but they’re part of the MCU brand so people don’t care.
Maybe people just loved them and had a good time watching them. Both Antman movies had better RT scores, Audience Score, Cinema score and still made more money than DP and Apocalypse.

In this social media age? Sure it does. Black Panther and Captain Marvel are definitely A listers now. If being part of the most successful franchise and grossing a billion doesn't make you an A lister, I don't know what would do it.

I will say this about Aquaman. For the amount of money it made, I don't really hear anybody talk about it or see it get mentioned on television. Black Panther and Captain Marvel, I definitely do. They have a large pop culture presence.

Although keep in mind, this is from a strictly North American perspective.

I will say this about Aquaman. For the amount of money it made, I don't really hear anybody talk about it or see it get mentioned on television. Black Panther and Captain Marvel, I definitely do. They have a large pop culture presence.

Although keep in mind, this is from a strictly North American perspective.
That's why I didn't include him. I've not seen one person reference anything from his movie on social media.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"