1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Spider-Man
4. Wolverine

20. Deadpool

100. Professor X

200. Magneto

1000. Some X-Men member.

Nobody but some very hardcore minority cares about X-Men. So, X-Men is doomed in every way unless Paige uses the same tactic to build lesser known characters first in order to form a superhero team film.
No one knew who Guardians of the Galaxy was either. You don’t need name brand superheroes anymore. Just likeable characters and great marketing.

Black Panther and Captain Marvel have to be way up there now too.
I was considering them, but honestly I don't know. While they have had big first movies, a lot of that is Marvel, and ties back to the Avengers, which really ties back to Iron Man. Superman has awful movies and somehow still make legit money. Aquaman is the one that is crazy. Not the best reviews, a series of movies that really should of meant it was going to perform more like Shazam, and then it set the world on fire.

The crazy staying power of characters like Batman, Spider-Man, Joker, etc. is pretty crazy. Also while Captain Marvel made more money then Wonder Woman, there is a high level of culture relevance to WW that is hard to quantify. Even with Captain Marvel's place in the Marvel flicks, it does feel like WW is the female superhero.

1. Spider-Man.
2. The others.

giphy.gif

No one knew who Guardians of the Galaxy was either. You don’t need name brand superheroes anymore. Just likeable characters and great marketing.

However, Shazam proves that you still need something recognizable (or a strong name brand), even if you have likeable characters.

People tend to forget that Guardians of the Galaxy happened after Avengers, when the success of MCU was already solid and strong.

Read the comics then. Xavier is not part of the X-Men since 2004. Even Magneto was became a X-Men and had more to do with the stories than Xavier. When Magneto joined Utopia (home of the x-men) in early 2008, Xavier had gone away.

Speaking from someone who has been reading the X-Men since the hiatus years, and actually would prefer Xavier goes away for a while, the "Read the comics!" argument is extremely weak. Most people don't and that's perfectly ok.

To summarize X-Men's popularity:

1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Spider-Man
4. Wolverine

20. Deadpool

100. Professor X

200. Magneto

1000. Some X-Men member.

Nobody but some very hardcore minority cares about X-Men. So, X-Men is doomed in every way unless Paige uses the same tactic to build lesser known characters first in order to form a superhero team film.

Supes is too high on this list. And Deadpool is way too low.

The X-Men may not be as well known as their MCU counterparts, but team members have been featured in big budget superhero tent pole films for two frikkin decades. Lack of name recognition ain't the problem with the franchise, and won't be an impediment for the MCU reboot.

I'm talking specifically about the US. And you can't compare Batman to the X-Men. Batman is way more well known, popular, and recognizable than the X-Men.

I don't know about anyone else, but I had to explain to people that Dark Phoenix was an X-Men when brought up. Putting X-Men in front of the title could have brought in a few more millions.

Will it make a huge difference? Naw.

Please. When Iron Man elicited nothing but raised, clueless eyebrows, when the Avengers was considered a cheap knockoff of Justice League, the X-men was in every toy shelves, in the living room of every kid enjoying his saturday off, and in ample video games from SNES to PS2.

Blame Fox for failing to maximise the brands potential, and squandering the rest of what little appeal they mustered as Marvel made celebrities of C rated heroes.

However, Shazam proves that you still need something recognizable (or a strong name brand), even if you have likeable characters.

People tend to forget that Guardians of the Galaxy happened after Avengers, when the success of MCU was already solid and strong.
True but people were also saying Guardians would be their first flop. It was hardly a guaranteed winner.

Shazam! didn't have great marketing.

Anyway, the second weekend drop takes the record as the biggest second weekend drop for a Marvel movie! It won't even outgross the first Blade movie at this point.

Ant-Man and Doctor Strange too.
I'm talking specifically about the US. And you can't compare Batman to the X-Men. Batman is way more well known, popular, and recognizable than the X-Men.

I don't know about anyone else, but I had to explain to people that Dark Phoenix was an X-Men when brought up. Putting X-Men in front of the title could have brought in a few more millions.

Will it make a huge difference? Naw.
I just feel a bit ocd, all films featuring the fc cast had the X-Men in the title and they didn't in this one especially there was a core X-Men team in the film. Its like they are embarrassed or lazy to include the X-Men in the title. It wouldn't make a big difference at the boX office but still they should have been consistent with the movie titles of the franchise.

yeah no x men tital was poor decision. like.. international distributors said nope to that. lol

so this will struggle to pass 250m ww. what a massive flop.

205 million in 10 days, is not so bad, lots of hyperbolic negativity around the movie.
If this was released when it was supposed to, without them wasting money on senseless reshoots, and it was promoted correctly, then it would have done fine. But they ruined it.
Dude that is very bad. The movie is not going to be profitable.

205 million in 10 days, is not so bad, lots of hyperbolic negativity around the movie.
If this was released when it was supposed to, without them wasting money on senseless reshoots, and it was promoted correctly, then it would have done fine. But they ruined it.
“If this were better and released when people wanted to see it” is not a compelling argument.

A superhero movie making a billion is not enough to suddenly turn its main character into an A-lister. All it means is that the movie reasonated well with audiences... right now we have no tangible proof that Arthur Curry, T'Challa and Carol Danvers were the main reason behind the huge success of their solo movies.

That's like saying that Jake Sully or Rose and Jack are the most popular movie characters of all time.

“If this were better and released when people wanted to see it” is not a compelling argument.
its like saying: if it had a better script, a better director, bigger cast, different costumes and a different release date, the movie would have made more than Dofp. :funny:

Yeah, the problem is NONE of that actually happened, so...... we ended with Kinberg's version of the iconic Dark Phoenix saga, with too many wrong decisions since day one (and they didnt have anything to do with disney)

That is quite bad.

A superhero movie making a billion is not enough to suddenly turn its main character into an A-lister. All it means is that the movie reasonated well with audiences... right now we have no tangible proof that Arthur Curry, T'Challa and Carol Danvers were the main reason behind the huge success of their solo movies.

Sure it does! If billion dollar solo movie gross doesn't get a character past the velvet ropes into the VIP lounge, then what pray tell does?

That's like saying that Jake Sully or Rose and Jack are the most popular movie characters of all time.

I'd agree with Mr. Sully, but Rose and Jack are UNQUESTIONABLY two of the most popular movie characters of all time.

This post makes no sense. I think people take for granted how hard it is for a movie to make a billion because Marvel has done it so easily. A character may not have been A-lister before the movie, but afterwards, you can guarantee that he or she is now an A-lister based on brand awareness. That's not saying their presence in another movie automatically guarantees success but it doesn't hurt.

The only argument I can see that maybe supports what you're saying is the Fast and Furious movies. They make a billion dollars, but I highly doubt if any of the characters got their own movie (except for the Rock) that it would do even half as well.

I do read comics and this is an apples and oranges comparison. You’re comparing a status quo that has been reached in the comics years after the Xavier has been a vital part of the story to a potential MCU reboot that’s introducing the Mutants for the first time in the MCU. Xavier has to be there as he’s the founder of the X-Men and provides context for the team’s existence and their role in the MCU. That isn’t to say you can’t make an X-Men film without the Xavier character but for the first X-Men film that’s introducing the team and further expanding upon the concept of Mutants in the MCU Professor X is too integral to the mythos to leave out.
I think you're not reading what I'm writing here and just replying.

What I'm saying is that they don't have to make an origin movie to introduce the X-Men to MCU. People already know the X-Men. They could introduce the X-Men to MCU without Xavier in the era in the comics where Xavier is no longer in charge or part of the X-Men. In the MCU a lot of things they've changed from the comics like who cretes Ultron is Ant Man Hank Pym not Ironman and Hulk like they did in the movies. There's a lot of changes from the comics in the MCU, like the Ancient One is a man in the comics and in the MCU is a woman. So, they don't have to introduce the X-Men when they were young and under Xavier wings. They could introduce the X-men as the team already formed and Xavier no longer being part of them. Xavier could be mentioned in the movie but not being a part of it.

I feel like if Xavier, Wolverine, Mystique and Magneto are introduced to the first X-Men movie in the MCU they'll still the show again from the real first class which are Cyclops, Jean, Angel, Iceman and Beast. Let them shine for once!

We had 19 years of X-Men movies about Xavier, Magneto, Mystique and Wolverine. I really can't stand them anymore. They aren't essential to the X-Men. The comics survived years and years without them.

I think you're not reading what I'm writing here and just replying.

What I'm saying is that they don't have to make an origin movie to introduce the X-Men to MCU. People already know the X-Men. They could introduce the X-Men to MCU without Xavier in the era in the comics where Xavier is no longer in charge or part of the X-Men. In the MCU a lot of things they've changed from the comics like who cretes Ultron is Ant Man Hank Pym not Ironman and Hulk like they did in the movies. There's a lot of changes from the comics in the MCU, like the Ancient One is a man in the comics and in the MCU is a woman. So, they don't have to introduce the X-Men when they were young and under Xavier wings. They could introduce the X-men as the team already formed and Xavier no longer being part of them. Xavier could be mentioned in the movie but not being a part of it.

I feel like if Xavier, Wolverine, Mystique and Magneto are introduced to the first X-Men movie in the MCU they'll still the show again from the real first class which are Cyclops, Jean, Angel, Iceman and Beast. Let them shine for once!

We had 19 years of X-Men movies about Xavier, Magneto, Mystique and Wolverine. I really can't stand them anymore. They aren't essential to the X-Men. The comics survived years and years without them.
Uh...you can still have Xavier in the film and not have him be the focus of the story. Same with Wolverine. Have them take a backseat to the X-Men.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"