The Defenders The Defenders Discussion Thread (NO SPOILER TAGS NECESSARY!)

Just rewatched the whole season it was even better the second time. My favorite character was actually Danny just amazing how much better he was gives me great confidence for season 2 of IF. This was a great series definetely lived up to the hype and then some.

A minor complaint but while overall well done, did anyone else feel some of the fight scenes were edited awkwardly? I feel like at times i couldnt tell what was happening, who was throwing a punch who was getting hit with a punch, and some of the fights were just very very darkly lit.

It was kind of a mess but had enough good moments to make this a recommend.

Jeez from reading a lot of people's reviews here, you would think that this show was absolute garbage or on par with the first iron fist. I guess all of our expectations were too high for this one. Should they even bother with doing a season 2 if it was that bad?

If Gao and Nobu were both Hand, why were they treated like they were part of separate groups in Daredevil S1?

If Gao and Nobu were both Hand, why were they treated like they were part of separate groups in Daredevil S1?
because Gao was the leader of the index finger, while Nobu was a member of the pinky and as IF told us, the fingers were different organization that worked seperatley and had their own means and goals and were even rivals. They're still part of the same hand though

Jeez from reading a lot of people's reviews here, you would think that this show was absolute garbage or on par with the first iron fist. I guess all of our expectations were too high for this one. Should they even bother with doing a season 2 if it was that bad?

I wouldn't even say expectations were high. The Hand's end goal was lame and doesn't even make that much sense, when they could have returned to K'un-Lun in Iron Fist. The Villains themselves are also underwhelming and bland, nowhere near the caliber of big guns like Kingpin, or badass grunts like Nobu. Iron Fist is still unbearable to watch when he has to act tough. Elektra being the Black Sky and a "vessel" is a plot point that never gets elaborated on. The whole Chaste vs Hand war gets tossed out the window, with all of the Chaste except Stick killed off at the start of the show.

It just a lot of little things that come together, and makes the whole thing feel like it wasn't worth the wait.

What I realized after I thought about it for a couple of minutes, is how this show made me appreciate Rands characterization in IF more than before. I can see now why they chose to write him that way, since his immaturity made him the "comic relief character" of the Defenders without breaking the more serious tone of the other Marvlix shows. That was actually a pretty good decision

The thing is, I still feel Danny's characterization is inconsistent. The way Danny was written in the Chinese restaurant episode? EXCELLENT. THAT's the Danny Rand I wanted all along: charming, comical, level headed, likeable. We would get scenes like that and then he would revert back to that annoying, brooding, bi-polar "dont tell me to calm down!!" Danny that we all hated in IF season one. And, honestly, part of it is Finn. When he tries to act tough or pissed off, he doesn't sell it and it comes off as grating rather than intimidating.

Last edited:
that we all hated in IF season one.
not all of us. I liked it, it made sense somehow. but then again, I'm probably the only one on this board who liked the show and prefers it to the vastly inferior Luke Cage season 1, I mean, the whole Meachums plot(s) were awsome. Could have done without a lot of the punchy punchy stuff, but then again, it's a Kung Fu based hero, so punchy punchy centric episodes were not unexpected

I wouldn't even say expectations were high. The Hand's end goal was lame and doesn't even make that much sense, when they could have returned to K'un-Lun in Iron Fist. The Villains themselves are also underwhelming and bland, nowhere near the caliber of big guns like Kingpin, or badass grunts like Nobu. Iron Fist is still unbearable to watch when he has to act tough. Elektra being the Black Sky and a "vessel" is a plot point that never gets elaborated on. The whole Chaste vs Hand war gets tossed out the window, with all of the Chaste except Stick killed off at the start of the show.

It just a lot of little things that come together, and makes the whole thing feel like it wasn't worth the wait.

So I guess the show is not worth watching then. Good to know. I will tell my friends to skip it as well since the last thing we want is to waste our time with something that isn't worth it.

So I guess the show is not worth watching then. Good to know. I will tell my friends to skip it as well since the last thing we want is to waste our time with something that isn't worth it.
oh, character interactions are great, it's just the plot (or lack of plot) that is disappointing and the villains are meh

So basically, the only thing that saved this show was the character interactions but everything else was cheap. I wonder if they should jus cancel these shows then if it is going to always be this bad.

The finish could have been stronger, but overall I enjoyed it. It's honestly kind of hard to rank this in comparison to the other shows because it's so short, but for now I'd say I definitely liked it more than IF, however I honestly can't decide if I would put it over JJ or LC.

I loved the character interactions and the action was well done for the most part, but at the end of the day the villains were pretty meh. The Hand/Black Sky plot didn't really go anywhere, although Elektra was a badass. Also, how many times did we need to see common thugs get their asses kicked? I mean it was fun the first time seeing them all work together, but I'm not going to lie I got a bit tired of it by the end.

Herloee, in my opinion, the show is not bad. Not by a long shot. The plot here is no more cookie cutter than The Avengers. I think what you are seeing from some posters here is disappointment that it wasn't better, which it could've and should've been. But that doesn't mean its bad. The show is VERY strong when the heroes and their supporting casts get together and there are some very exciting action scenes and the ending is very emotionally tense. The plot is what it is, and honestly, your mileage may vary on how much it bothers you. It didn't even bother me that much because the characters were so much fun and it was fun to see them bantering and kicking ass together.

So basically, the only thing that saved this show was the character interactions but everything else was cheap. I wonder if they should jus cancel these shows then if it is going to always be this bad.

Calm down dude. It's not a bad show. It just left a bit to be desired. They could have done so much more, but instead we get a pretty good time with these characters. It's absolutely worth watching, and given your avy methinks you're gonna watch it no matter what. Iron Fist was their only misstep so far and even then it's far from one of the worst shows ever made. No reason for them to cancel anything.

Calm down dude. It's not a bad show. It just left a bit to be desired. They could have done so much more, but instead we get a pretty good time with these characters. It's absolutely worth watching, and given your avy methinks you're gonna watch it no matter what. Iron Fist was their only misstep so far and even then it's far from one of the worst shows ever made. No reason for them to cancel anything.

Thanks for the info. I've only managed to see what the opening credits look like which I must say are very impressive and perhaps my favorite Marvel Netflix opening.

I'm just worried that it's going to be bad as Iron Fist or as medicore as Luke Cage (second half). But if people who have already seen it thinks it's better than that, then I might take the time to watch it.

It's definitely nowhere near the disaster that Iron Fist was, and I don't want the hours of my life back, that I spent watching this. But by the end of the day I felt like "So, that was it, eh?" It starts with an ok buildup, Finn gets some scenes that actually gave me hope for the character, before they reverted him to his Iron Fist Season 1 self, but towards the end they just really fumbled it. At least in my opinion.

Also, how many times did we need to see common thugs get their asses kicked? I mean it was fun the first time seeing them all work together, but I'm not going to lie I got a bit tired of it by the end.

They really should have given us a showdown with the Beast. All this talk of Elektra being the "Black Sky" and the "vessel", and in the end she was basically the Nobu of the show. Don't make such a big deal about her, when it ultimately goes nowhere.

I honestly think this was a mistake on the writers part. It's kinda confusing once you think about it.
It was interesting to find out that the Chaste was actually the Iron Fist's "army".
About the Hand's master plan being lame? The ability to live forever seems like a legit plan to me. But I do think it would have been more interesting to have the door underground lead to a secret entrance to Kun Lun, and they could still have the dragon remains there.
The Black Sky. What exactly made them so special? It was obvious that Elektra was more than human here but she was still the Black Sky in DD S2 and she was not at the same level as she is here, so why the change after her revival?

Was Danny more resistant to physical injury (compared to regular folk) in IF? He sure took a lot of hits from Luke without so much as a scratch.

Oh yeah, the intro is amazing.

Thanks for the info. I've only managed to see what the opening credits look like which I must say are very impressive and perhaps my favorite Marvel Netflix opening.

I'm just worried that it's going to be bad as Iron Fist or as medicore as Luke Cage (second half). But if people who have already seen it thinks it's better than that, then I might take the time to watch it.

It's eight episodes. Just watch it.

Exactly, it's not that long lol.

Refreshing is not the word I would use. It's just that they built this up over the course of several seasons and it was nothing special.

The Hand is just a fracking/oil-drilling corporation with slightly less morals than the average oil drilling company.

K. It's ultimately a subjective topic and find a lot of your posts nitpicky so I will leave it there.

I'm also gonna exit this thread, as I find myself rolling my eyes and shaking my head far too often as scroll through most of these posts. Lol

LOL don't cancel the shows, geez.

Look I thought it was going relatively great until the fumbled third act.

The thing is, I still feel Danny's characterization is inconsistent. The way Danny was written in the Chinese restaurant episode? EXCELLENT. THAT's the Danny Rand I wanted all along: charming, comical, level headed, likeable. We would get scenes like that and then he would revert back to that annoying, brooding, bi-polar "dont tell me to calm down!!" Danny that we all hated in IF season one. And, honestly, part of it is Finn. When he tries to act tough or pissed off, he doesn't sell it and it comes off as grating rather than intimidating.
^THIS

the writing for him was too inconsistent

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"