The Rise of Skywalker The Episode IX Trailer Threadganza!!!!

I asked this earlier today in the gif thread but shouldn't Kylo have sliced that dude he ran up to in half upon impact instead of using the sabre to slam him?

I asked this earlier today in the gif thread but shouldn't Kylo have sliced that dude he ran up to in half upon impact instead of using the sabre to slam him?
Looks like he digs his crossguard into the opponent.

Not a fan of Smith, he just doesn't have the presence required to play a cool villain. I think he is definitely the younger Palpatine but hopefully he isn't actually the big bad the whole movie builds up, wasn't that something that happened in that awful Terminator movie or I may be misremembering things

I think Smith has presence to spare. ESPECIALLY when it comes to filling in the shoes of a legendary character from a sci fi franchise. He's got a bit of experience in that already.

That's of course assuming he is in this and will have some kind of Sheev connection or is playing a version of him.

Using Genesis against him is... Well that was poorly conceived all around. It was filled with talented performers. They could only do so much with a sow's ear of a film.

I think Smith has presence to spare. ESPECIALLY when it comes to filling in the shoes of a legendary character from a sci fi franchise. He's got a bit of experience in that already.

That's of course assuming he is in this and will have some kind of Sheev connection or is playing a version of him.

Using Genesis against him is... Well that was poorly conceived all around. It was filled with talented performers. They could only do so much with a sow's ear of a film.

He really did have the best speeches. :atp:

What about Richard E. Grant's role? I know the leaks show him as a FO Officer, but when he was asked about it a few months ago it seemed quite intriguing.

The actor recalled his audition process to The Telegraph, detailing he was "surrounded by all this Star Wars memorabilia going back to 1977. And within about two seconds, [director J.J. Abrams] said, ‘'Are you gonna do it or not?’ And I said, ‘Do what?’ Then he described the part, and I think he told me what my name was, at which point the room went upside down.''

What about Richard E. Grant's role? I know the leaks show him as a FO Officer, but when he was asked about it a few months ago it seemed quite intriguing.
Grant seem to not realize he was auditioning for Star Wars, which I think is what that was about. Like in that moment he realize he was in Star Wars.

My wild theory is that:

Rey turns out to be a Palpatine and gets lured to the dark side by whatever presence of Sheev they find in the DS2 remains and Kylo comes to save her, redeeming his character and giving the meaning to "The Rise of Skywalker" title.

My wild theory is that:

Rey turns out to be a Palpatine and gets lured to the dark side by whatever presence of Sheev they find in the DS2 remains and Kylo comes to save her, redeeming his character and giving the meaning to "The Rise of Skywalker" title.
That makes it Kylo's story. This better not be Kylo's story.

That makes it Kylo's story. This better not be Kylo's story.

Yes, but after Rian showing Rey is a nobody, wouldn't it be too obvious for JJ reverting that and throwing Rey's lineage straight in the title alone?

I think there is something else here playing here, which we won't find out until December.

Of course, the "Rise" of Skywalker might refer to the Skywalker legacy and not an individual character.

It's pretty clear that Abrams and Disney have honed in on what audiences want and will pay for (nostalgia), but you can't ride that train forever. If all you do is endlessly reference the past eventually people will become bored (Solo) and the franchise will eat itself. Merchandise will probably always sell because new generations of kids will want Star Wars action figures and cups and blankets, but the narrative will be inert. By revisiting the previous films over and over you shrink the universe and it's stakes. What was the point of creating new characters and getting people to invest in them when the end result is a Trojan horse designed to rehash the same conflict that's been going on for 40 years?

TLJ was exciting because it attempted to steer the story in a new and unknown direction, but that's been abandoned in favor of more of the same. Unsurprising, but still a disappointment. If I wanted more of Lando, the Death Star and Palpatine I'd go watch Return of the Jedi. Disney better not kill their last chance at something fresh (Johnson's spinoff trilogy).

The trailer was fine but not enough to wake my hype after what's been.

TLJ was such a devastation to me caring about the characters that I didn't care what was going on in the trailer for the most part. I think the only one that made me smile was Lando, but that's just an automatic reaction because it brings back the memories of when Star Wars was great. I'll need the real trailer with some actual glimpses of the story in order to possibly be excited.

This trailer also did more to confirm my expectations of that this will be a very disjointed trilogy. When all this is done I think it will be very apparent that not only did they never have a proper plan for the overall story, the directors also had different plans.

That Sidious might be back has me worried that it will just continue the trend that they have had this entire trilogy, which is to reduce the importance of the Original Trilogy. Instead of creating a new conflict they brought back the Empire vs Rebellion so the end of RotJ was just a temporary victory, not the triumph that we used to look at it as. If we now also have the return of the Emperor they truly didn't accomplish much back in the good trilogy. Then again it might just be a misdirect as it was revealed already in the teaser, so I shouldn't draw too big conclusions from this.

Not a fan of Smith, he just doesn't have the presence required to play a cool villain. I think he is definitely the younger Palpatine but hopefully he isn't actually the big bad the whole movie builds up, wasn't that something that happened in that awful Terminator movie or I may be misremembering things
I take it you have never watched The Crown.

Smith is the best Doctor, he is amazing as the Doctor, love him as an actor.

Yes, but after Rian showing Rey is a nobody, wouldn't it be too obvious for JJ reverting that and throwing Rey's lineage straight in the title alone?

I think there is something else here playing here, which we won't find out until December.

Of course, the "Rise" of Skywalker might refer to the Skywalker legacy and not an individual character.
This is pretty much what most are thinking at this point. Skywalker is not just the name of a character or a family.

Someone on Sreddit pointed out that the ship that flies into the rainy blue planet, with a yellow city...

Is the same ship that Rey sees leave Jakku.

I've found that the reaction of the SW fanbase to the trailer has been pretty much split along the same sides of TLJ debate.

It seems that alot those who liked or loved TLJ appear less then happy because of its throwback and perceived difference from Johnson, and those who hated TLJ ,are underwhelmed and wary because of Lucasfilms choices with the last two films.

In other words, it didn't change the needle as far as the polarized fanbase, which I figured would happen .

So many SW fans on both extremes have taken such a dogmatic and hardline stances on these new films that it's left little room for excitement for the new film. When you expend that much energy trying to prove "I'm right, and you're wrong!" it sort of leaves you drained.

The SW fanbase is definitely worn out from fighting itself for two years imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"