The Flash The Flash Season 1, Episode 1 "Pilot" General Discussion

It was not perfection, but for a CW made show it was better than expected. It actually had a feel of the Raimi Spidey origin vibe at times to it. The special effects were very good also.

Just got done with it, and I'm totally down for it. Loved it. They got yo the point, and we got The Flash within the first episode.

I'm in!

^
This pretty much.

Enjoyed that far more than I thought I would.

Things that I noticed from watching tonight's episode:

1. I saw the leaked version a few months ago, and I'm not sure if anyone else who had seen it noticed it as well, but tonight's pilot ended up cutting a small segment from Oliver's scene with Barry.

In the leaked pilot, Oliver had also told Barry about how if he (Barry) was serious about becoming a hero, then he would make mistakes like he (Oliver) has but that the good that Barry will accomplish will far outweigh the bad.

2. One of my minor beefs from as far back as the leaked version, I have no idea as to why they broke the continuity established in "Three Ghosts" (Last episode of "Arrow" that Barry was in for Season 2).

In "Three Ghosts", we saw Barry leave Starling City at night and it was established that he came back home to Central City on the same day/night. Also, when he had walked into his laboratory for that episode, he was talking to Felicity on the phone as well.

However, in the pilot, we first see Barry in Central City during the day and he is no longer on the phone with Felicity when he enters the laboratory.

This is so well done, especially for a pilot. I recalled enjoying it a few weeks back, but it was even more this time around. Just really enjoyed Gustin as the lead and how they're crafting the universe. So much promise.

Gonna be a fun ride.

In the Immortal words of the Simpson's comic book guy
BEST FREAKING SUPERHERO PREMIER EVAR!!
I Freakin loved it!! Love how they got right to it! I really dont have any complaints about it and GRODD... oh babee COUNT ME IN!!

It was OK, it played out almost beat by beat to Sam Raimi's Spider-Man what with Barry discovering his powers, also caught the Gorilla Grodd empty cage reference. I do get a sense though were gonna get a couple of cliche episodes where the lightning that struck Central City also created new villians ala Smallvile.

The costume doesn't look bad, it good to see that Ben Affleck's Daredevil costume is getting some use. :woot::woot::woot:

Yea it wasn't technically perfect, but it was perfect for me. About as perfect as you can get with TV. I was impressed left and right. After being dissapointed with Arrow on a weekly basis, this blew my mind. The inclusion of John Shipp makes it so moving to me.

I did notice the continuity error with his origin aswell. But it didn't bother me honestly. Not being on the phone isn't a big deal to me, so he hung up earlier and they just showed a different angle or time. Doesn't really matter to me, as that is a nitpick.

I had no idea about John Shipp leading up to this, so seeing him in this blew me away. A nice little homage to the 90s series.

My review (cross-posted):
Although this episode was conceived of and written to be the pilot episode for the series, it feels much more like a direct sequel to the Arrow Season 2 episodes "The Scientist", "Three Ghosts", and "The Man Under the Hood", and I actually think it makes the episode work much better than it otherwise might have. There are definitely moments when it does feel like a pilot, but that's to be expected since the writers couldn't have expected that everyone who watches the show will have seen the above-mentioned Arrow episodes.

I really liked the way the writers structured the episode narratively, starting out in the 'absolute present' before essentially giving us an extended sequence of flashbacks, first to Barry's childhood and then to events that were clearly meant to take place during the events of the Arrow episode "Three Ghosts" (which was a nice little 'easter egg' for fans of Arrow), and then flashing forward (no pun intended) to show us Barry's 're-entry' into the world and the way that he discovers what the explosion did to him and others.

Character-wise, I like that we've got a nice diverse group of people who all have different roles to play in the story, and figured I'd offer up a few thoughts on each individually:

Iris
Iris is clearly meant to be the series' 'Laurel' (the girl Barry can't have), although she also reminds me a little bit of Thea since there's very much a brother/sister-type vibe between the two characters. It will be interesting to see what they do with her going forward, and how long it takes her before she actually figures out that Barry's pining for her and that he's now got superpowers (because she's going to have to eventually, especially given that her dad's in on Barry's little secret).

Detective West
He's clearly meant to be an analogue of Arrow's Quentin Lance and John Diggle, serving as both the series' lead civilian law enforcer and as one of Barry's chief confidantes, and this combination of roles is going to be something that I think will help keep the character from getting lost in the shuffle, which seemed to sometimes happen to Quentin.

Caitlin Snow
She seems to very much be the series' analogue to Felicity, but she also reminds me quite a bit of the characters of Alfred Pennyworth and Barbara Gordon (particularly the version of that character seen in the 2002 failed WB series Birds of Prey). It's going to be interesting to see where her character goes and whether or not the PtBs have plans to use her supervillain alter-ego from the comics or if they opt just to keep her as one of Barry's civilian allies.

Cisco Ramon
He doesn't seem to have a direct analogue on Arrow, although he does remind me quite a bit of Xander Harris from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It will be interesting to see if they give his character more to do in future episodes besides just being the 'techie' behind Barry's 'toys and gadgets', because I think there's a lot of potential there for him to fill a sort of Robin-esque role in Barry's life, either in a civilian capacity or in the capacity of his superhero identity from the comics.

Harrison Wells
He strikes me as being the series' analogue to both Malcolm Merlyn and Slade Wilson, and it will be really interesting to see how he's used in future episodes. I also think there's a real strong possibility that he's being set up to become the series' version of Professor Zoom/Reverse Flash, even with a character whose name is clearly derived from that character's comic-book alter-ego (more on this below).0

Eddie Thawne
This character's name is clearly derived from Eobard Thrawne, the comic-book alter-ego of the above-mentioned Professor Zoom, but he seems much more likely to be the series' analogue to Tommy Merlyn in that he's there to be an obstacle to Barry and Iris being together. He also reminds me somewhat of Harvey Bullock from Gotham, albeit without Harvey's darker edge. We'll see where the writers go with his character in future episodes.

In terms of recurring characters, I'm interested in seeing where they go with Henry Allen; he seems to be set up as the series' analogue to Moira Queen, but given that Susanna Thompson was a series regular on Arrow and he's only a guest star here, I'm not entirely sure how much involvement he's going to have as things progress, which is kind of sad because I like the relationship he has with Barry and am interested in seeing more of his background. Captain David Singh (who seems like the other major recurring character introduced in the episode) is hard to get a read on because I don't know if they really needed him in the episode, but we'll see what happens.

Somebody above complained about Oliver Queen's cameo in this episode, but I personally think it was a nice touch because it allowed the writers to do something that is kind of crucial for the series as a whole - explaining/offering context for why Barry does what he does going forward - in a non-traditional fashion that also paid homage to the fact that the series is part of a shared universe (it reminds me of the way that the writers on Buffy the Vampire Slayer reminded viewers that it and ANGEL were connected without having to actually do explicit cross-overs between the two series). I did wonder why Oliver wasn't wearing the domino mask that Barry gave him, if only because it makes me question where the scene takes place relative to what's happened/will happen on Arrow itself.

I do wish I'd been able to re-watch the 3 Arrow episodes that serve as sort of a precursor to this episode, but that's only because I'm a bit of a completist nerd; the episode stands very well on its own, and was a nice way to set up the series going forward.

If anything, the only real things that bugged me from this episode were:

1. All of the "speed/run" puns that they had throughout the episode. At times it would feel corny, and then there were moments were it just felt very forced.

2. Honestly, I think the "Dialogue" was the biggest issue for this episode. I mean did Barry really need to say.."I wasn't the only one affected by the Particle Accelerator Explosion"? Couldn't they have just dwindled it down to "explosion"?

3. The acting was a bit stiff and off in some parts and the Flash Logo for the series looks cheap compared to the Arrow Logo.

It was OK, it played out almost beat by beat to Sam Raimi's Spider-Man what with Barry discovering his powers, also caught the Gorilla Grodd empty cage reference. I do get a sense though were gonna get a couple of cliche episodes where the lightning that struck Central City also created new villians ala Smallvile.

The costume doesn't look bad, it good to see that Ben Affleck's Daredevil costume is getting some use. :woot::woot::woot:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=29856805&postcount=101

I thought it was "fluffy" ... almost cotton candy. Easily consumed, but I wasn't really that impressed. I wanted to like it.

I do know if some one else mentioned this but how many think that the particle accelerator blowing up was not accidental?

Barry was awesome, and Grant Gustin is awesome as him. Loved how happy he was when he discovered his superspeed, and that he wasn't all mopey about it and instantly accepted it. Loved also how he instantly wanted to stop Weather Wizard because it was the right thing to do. Yeah, part of the reason for him fighting crime is his mom's death, but it's not the main reason. He's doing it because it's the right thing to do. Like how he tried to stop the other kids from beating up kids they felt was "different", and so the bullies beat him up.
Loved him and Iris. Loved his interactions with Joe. Loved him and Oliver's interaction together. I even liked Iris and Eddie. As for Iris, loved her this episode as well. Loved her "Does that include twerking" line, and looking forward to her investigating the Flash and being a journalist.
I'm looking forward to seeing what Eddie brings to the table and how he plays into everything. Same for Wells, who was a *****ebag with his "You're not a hero, just a kid struck by lightning" when Barry was going to try to stop Mardon.
Loved the effects, Barry using his powers, pretty much loved everything about the episode. It did what it was supposed to, which was get me hyped for the season!

Edit: Forgot to say I loved Joe's "shut the hell up" line to Marden when he said he's God. I'm also looking forward to Team Flash more as well!

Great show, my days are filled with superhero shows

When I watched the leak a few months back it felt a little rushed but when I watched it again tonight it seemed a lot better. It was still rushed but I guess I was expecting it this time so it was fine. The tone is great. Gustin is awesome. Supporting cast doesn't have anyone I disliked straight way so that's a big plus. They are obviously having fun with the show and Flash's mythology and that really makes me want to keep on watching, just so I can see what they have in store.

It should be illegal to have a pilot this fun. Had a dumb smile on my face the entire time, cheese and all. Cannot wait to see this show progress!

It should be illegal to have a pilot this fun. Had a dumb smile on my face the entire time, cheese and all. Cannot wait to see this show progress!

Me either. I even liked the Barry/Oliver exchange as well in the episode. There was tons of funny moments in this pilot. I especially loved when Iris was questioning why Eddie was so proud of himself, and said so what he caught a mugger lol.

I enjoyed the pilot. Is nice to see a Superhero that enjoys his powers. I hope they reduce the cheesy dialogue in the future.

I watched the leak awhile back and enjoyed it just as much the second time around. Reminds me a lot of Gotham in that it's certainly not breaking any new ground and gets pretty tied up with convention, but I still enjoyed the hell out of it and the characterization brought forth from the comics.

This was absolutely incredible. Yes, it did borrow a lot from the first Spider-Man film but I couldn't care less when it was executed so incredibly well. It only borrowed elements to create something that had me engaged from the first minute all the way to the last.

In my view this ****s all over Gotham which I found damn near unwatchable.

The cast for Flash was really good too and the acting rarely felt stilted unlike Gotham once again.

Now this is a show I will anxiously wait for every week. :up:

10/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"