The Flash The Flash Season 1, Episode 1 "Pilot" General Discussion

What is this nonsense, this was almost exactly like Gotham. Very very conventional, with very typical characters, mostly mediocre acting and some very cheesy moments. And I loved it too! I understand enjoying one more than the other, but to act like this somehow was way stronger than Gotham is pretty laughable. Neither is exceptional television, but I enjoy both immensely for what they are and their characterizations of their respective source materials.

Nope, Gotham was a disjointed wreck. You're more than welcome to think that they both executed conventional plots equally but let me tell you that's simply not the case. :up:

Nope, Gotham was a disjointed wreck. You're more than welcome to think that they both executed conventional plots equally but let me tell you that's simply not the case. :up:

They absolutely were, although the goals of each pilot were very different, but neither was incredible from a storytelling standpoint. The whole father drama thing in flash was painfully cliche and much less compelling to me than anything that happened in Gotham to me, but hopefully that pays off down the line. Maybe it's because I don't have any history with the flash, who knows. I will say that I much preferred grant gustins performance to Gordon's, but other than that I much more enjoyed watching bullock interact with a crooked Gotham (except fish mooney, who's way too over the top for my taste) than any of the cop stuff going on in flash. Both shows have me simultaneously shaking my head from obvious convention while grinning like an idiot at how much I'm enjoying it.

But hey, it's not a big deal at all, we both enjoyed it so everybody wins! :up: well have to wait t'il the end of season 1 for each to make more informed opinions.

Last edited:
Wow!

That's the best way I can express my feeling after watching this pilot.

Wow!
I really loved the way the origin was told.Grant was awesome throughout.That scene with his dad at the end was special.From one Flash to the other.Seeing JWS in a Flash series again was magical.

The original Flash series was my favorite series as a kid.I lived for each episode.And it hurt like bad place when it was taken off.So believe me,I was ready to hate this show.It couldn't be close to as good as the original.But I haven't had fun like this with a SH series on tv in since the original Flash series.And that's what these shows should be-fun!

Even my mother watched the show and told me how much fun it was!(She never really got into Arrow.She says every time she turns it on,he's never in costume.-She even asked me who was the guy with the arrows on his back?:woot:)

Now I gave it a 9.After much deliberating,I had to give it a 9 for a few reasons.On one hand,I do think it was better than the Arrow pilot (which I gave a 10) but,in a sense,more is expected of this show than was of Arrow.Arrow just had to keep from falling on it's face.And it did just that.Now I'm asking "thrill me".

I think it really needed to get a 2 hr premiere.Barry putting on the costume seemed-I dunno- not well paced,I guess?.Also things like the emblem being put on just because Vibe (or whatever his name was) thought it was "cool" just seemed rushed.Arrow naming him "Flash" might've been borderline,but I liked the scene.

Much like Arrow (besides the season's "big bad") the villain is given next to no character.I hope that won't always be the case,but I'm sure it won't be.

I didn't like Detective West finding out his I.D.You already have three people in on the secret (not to mention,probably the whole Team Arrow,eventually).I still long for the days when the man in a mask had a single confidant.Certainly less than three.

The jury is still out on the whole Iris thing.The "I kinda sorta like her,but we're like brother and sister" thing is not going to get much better.The actress is pretty and fun,so it's just a question if the writing will fail her (I.E. Laurel in season 2)

Anyway,bring on next week!Long live the Flash!

Liked the pilot, very good Super-Speed FX, but a few criticism/thoughts..

So will the pulse that created multiple meta-humans create only one good guy?
For a villian who can control the weather, he used a fairly limited arsenal.
Where does Barry keep his costume? Would love to see it contract/expand when needed, not necessarily from a ring, but how about a lap top sized case.
Why are superheroes always losing there masks? Drives me up a wall?
At the end when the weather guy points the gun at The Flash would have loved this exchange....
The Flash says..."You can't shoot me."
Weather guy...."I can't huh." and shoots.
Flash easily evades the bullet, runs and plucks it out the air, runs back to stop in front of the weather guy whose gun has only just been fired, flicks the bullet into the shocked weather guy, and says, "Nope." And then punches the weather guy's lights out.

Liked the pilot, very good Super-Speed FX, but a few criticism/thoughts..

Where does Barry keep his costume? Would love to see it contract/expand when needed, not necessarily from a ring, but how about a lap top sized case.
It's a little too soon to make this point a nitpick, the rest I can agree with.

It's a little too soon to make this point a nitpick, the rest I can agree with.

Yeah, not a nitpick, just a thought. And BTW I could completely buy the ring, why not? When dealing with super-heroes too many details are over-rationalized. Let's have some fun!

Last edited:
Yeah, not a nitpick, just a thought. And BTW I could completely buy the ring, why not? When dealing with super-heroes too many details are over-rationalized. Let's have some fun!
If they give him the ring, I'll love that bit to no end.

Bought the pilot episode on Amazon this morning in HD. :)

does it matter where he keeps it, there's nowhere in the city he couldn't get to in a split second to go change into it, is it really necessary for him to carry it around with him?

they probably just keep it at the lab for him

This was absolutely incredible. Yes, it did borrow a lot from the first Spider-Man film but I couldn't care less when it was executed so incredibly well. It only borrowed elements to create something that had me engaged from the first minute all the way to the last.
And I don't see why it's a bad thing? So it borrowed elements from a great movie? Great, because it executed it perfectly. People keep bringing that up, like it's some kind of negative, but it's amazing to be having a similar cinematic experience for a TV show like this. Please, by all means, keep borrowing elements from great superhero movies. As long as you make it good, I'm all for it.

In my view this ****s all over Gotham which I found damn near unwatchable.

The cast for Flash was really good too and the acting rarely felt stilted unlike Gotham once again.

Now this is a show I will anxiously wait for every week. :up:

10/10
I hate to bring up Gotham like its in the same category as this, but I agree with you. Gotham isn't even a superhero show, to me. It just happens to be in Batman's world, but it's not the same thing as The Flash. This is what I want in my CBSs(comic book shows?). I don't want shows like Smallville or Gotham, that just reference stuff constantly, while giving us nerds some blue balls by NEVER delivering anything worthwhile. I want superheros in my CBSs. And this not only delivered on that front, but the quality is there, as well. I watched 3 episodes of Gotham, and now I'm done with it, unless someone tells me it got better. With The Flash, they had my attention withing in the first 5 min. By the end of the show, it was solidified: I'm a weekly watcher.

I'm still shocked by the quality of a TV show. Much better than the 90's show. Again, loved it. :dj

This was absolutely incredible. Yes, it did borrow a lot from the first Spider-Man film but I couldn't care less when it was executed so incredibly well. It only borrowed elements to create something that had me engaged from the first minute all the way to the last.

In my view this ****s all over Gotham which I found damn near unwatchable.

The cast for Flash was really good too and the acting rarely felt stilted unlike Gotham once again.

Now this is a show I will anxiously wait for every week. :up:

10/10

It was good, but not a perfect 10 and Gotham is not unwatchable, is just mediocre, but they need to improve several things I've already mentioned in the Gotham forum. And most people seem to like it so far: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/gotham/s01/?adid=home_list4a

Back on topic, who will be the Reverse Flash? Eddie Thawne, Dr Wells? If they're pulling another Tommy Merlyn, then Wells will be our guy. :word:

Last edited:
I'm trying not to read too much in here in case I accidentally read a spoiler, but now I'm really excited to watch this tonight.

It was good, but not a perfect 10 and Gotham is not unwatchable, is just mediocre, but they need to improve several things I've already mentioned in the Gotham forum. And most people seem to like it so far: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/gotham/s01/?adid=home_list4a

Back on topic, who will be the Reverse Flash? Eddie Thawne, Dr Wells? If they're pulling another Tommy Merlyn, then Wells will be our guy. :word:
The way Eddie looks at Allen and says his name foreshadows his obsession with the Flash, and he loves Iris.
The twist will be to see someone other than Eddie as the Reverse Flash.

Wells is the best choice, although they have to do a lot to earn him being, essentially, the creator of the Flash. There are a couple really cool ways to do that though.

Why do we have to bag on other shows so hard? No, I don't enjoy Gotham or AoS as much as Flash, but they're solid shows, quality wise, and their ratings show that they are not the worst thing on television. I can understand a little teasing... the sports guys do that all the time, but these Ultimate Statements of superiority and suckitude are really unfortunate.

Why do we have to bag on other shows so hard? No, I don't enjoy Gotham or AoS as much as Flash, but they're solid shows, quality wise, and their ratings show that they are not the worst thing on television. I can understand a little teasing... the sports guys do that all the time, but these Ultimate Statements of superiority and suckitude are really unfortunate.
That would be an entirely subjective matter.

And in my subjective opinion, neither of those shows are even decent (admittedly, I gave up on SHIELD long ago and haven't watched an episode in a while, but I have seen all three episodes of Gotham). In fact, I can't think of anything even remotely good about Gotham outside of the set design and Donal Logue's acting.

As for the ratings, Gotham's viewership has gone from 8.21 million to 7.45 million to 6.36 million in its first three episodes. It has lost quite a lot of its audience. By comparison, Arrow went from 4.14->3.55->3.05->3.75 in its first four, eventually settling at about 3.68 million per episode (inc. DVR ratings) in its first season. So it didn't do nearly the volume Gotham did, but it did manage to keep a lot more of its peak audience throughout the season.

We don't know where Gotham will start to settle, but it is declining at an alarming rate so far. As long as it stays above 4-5 million we'll probably see another season, but it's way too early to cite the ratings right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"