The Flash The Flash Season 1, Episode 1 "Pilot" General Discussion

The MOSverse is created to have Supeerman as the 1st Public Superhero.Arrrowverse is created to have Flash as the 1st Public Superhero.Do you see the Problem?I may not know everything but I certainly know how to pay attention
That's what they said when making MOS, but things change all the time, and so can ideas/stoylines. For years, Nolan said there would never be a Robin in his Batman movies, and low and behold, we got a horrible one in TDKR.

The MOSverse is created to have Supeerman as the 1st Public Superhero.Arrrowverse is created to have Flash as the 1st Public Superhero.Do you see the Problem?I may not know everything but I certainly know how to pay attention

Yeah, the last good chance to connect the universes died with the Flash pilot (or maybe Arrow's S2 finale). I think it'd be kinda sloppy to connect them at this point. I wish they were connected though, Gustin is great.

It's not impossible (or even difficult for that matter) to connect the universes.I don't know why some people are so against it but,whatevs.

That's what they said when making MOS, but things change all the time, and so can ideas/stoylines. For years, Nolan said there would never be a Robin in his Batman movies, and low and behold, we got a horrible one in TDKR.

It's not what they said when making it, it's what the movie MOS showed. They'd have to retcon MOS the film in order to change that idea.

Anyone else dig the score?

I dig it, I want to hear the full on version of the theme that was teased awhile back though, they kept cutting it short in the pilot, hope it doesn't take too long to show up.

I dig it too. I thought it was really cinematic in scope, and I was proud.

It's not what they said when making it, it's what the movie MOS showed. They'd have to retcon MOS the film in order to change that idea.

They don't have to retcon anything. MOS didn't explicitly state that Superman was the first superhero.

Unless I'm forgetting something?

They don't have to retcon anything. MOS didn't explicitly state that Superman was the first superhero.

No,they didn't.That's why we have a "seasoned" Batman in BVS.

That's why I don't get the objection.:whatever:

That was such a great pilot. I loved it. I still can't get over that ending though, like it left me so many questions about it.

They were very clear that there was nothing like him, that people finding out that superpowers existed would change everything, and any mentions of super powers belonged in the tabloids. It was kind of a big deal, the reason his father died and all that kinda stuff. If the Flash exists in that universe, then everyone in it is a colossal idiot, especially the Flash who was too busy catching bank robbers to help save the world that he lives on from blowing up.

No,they didn't.That's why we have a "seasoned" Batman in BVS.

That's why I don't get the objection.:whatever:

One can argue that Batman isn't a superhero. Regardless, an urban legend non-powered vigilante doing his thing wouldn't have changed anything about the world of MOS. A publicly known speedster would have changed the world of MOS from one that doesn't believe in superheroes and has no where to turn to to deal with super villains.

Last edited:
They were talking about how Clark was an alien, and that he's proof that there's life outside of Earth, not that there isn't superheroes.

I understand Rows feelings about the situation but I think connecting universes would take way too much retconing MOS for my taste and then Steven Amell, who I dislike as an actor, would have to be invited to the party as well. Also I think having to be careful of the films has hurt Agents of Shield and will hurt the CW shows.

They were talking about how Clark was an alien, and that he's proof that there's life outside of Earth, not that there isn't superheroes.

No, sir. Perry was hesitant to believe that she even saw anything remarkable, not just her conclusion, which makes zero sense if there are similar things happening every day. Pa Kent's speech about people fearing Clark was based on the reaction to him using his powers, with no talk about his origin. He still believed that as an adult, meaning that the argument was still cogent.

But you're correct that the movie doesn't make any distinction between the world being tripped out about him being an alien and the world being tripped out about him having powers. If one was less scary than the other in the MOS world, it wouldn't make sense to lump them together like that.

And Flash would still be an idiot.

They were very clear that there was nothing like him, that people finding out that superpowers existed would change everything, and any mentions of super powers belonged in the tabloids. It was kind of a big deal, the reason his father died and all that kinda stuff. If the Flash exists in that universe, then everyone in it is a colossal idiot, especially the Flash who was too busy catching bank robbers to help save the world that he lives on from blowing up.

One can argue that Batman isn't a superhero. Regardless, an urban legend non-powered vigilante doing his thing wouldn't have changed anything about the world of MOS. A publicly known speedster would have changed the world of MOS from one that doesn't believe in superheroes and has no where to turn to to deal with super villains.

The Flash just now aired,so I don't see the problem of contradicting anything in MOS.

Arrow fits the same mold as Batman.An urban myth.If Batman can have existed for 10 years or so dealing with his regular rogues gallery without notice,Arrow shouldn't have much problem doing the same in his little corner of the universe.

Have you guys seen the new Batmobile? I don't think this Batman is an urban myth.

I've noticed, cheesiness really takes things down a notch for you, huh?
Ha, an interesting question, because I've loved a lot of cheesy shows over the years. Honestly, the TYPE of cheese really matters for me, I think. There's a type of cheese that comes from predictability and lack of imagination, and then there's a more knowing type of cheese and camp that doesn't hide from the cliches, basically says, "yeah, we're just gonna gonna go for it," but is otherwise surrounded by a lot of imagination and personality. I feel like in the Buffy days in particular, Joss Whedon was the master of the latter, expertly subverting cliches one minute and yet other times fully embracing them when the time was right.

I dunno, there's a certain type of cheese that always works for me because I feel like the writers are really clever, inventive people who know exactly what they're doing, but the majority of the time it feels like shows are cheesy not because they're going for it, but because they don't know how to do it and NOT be cheesy. If that makes any sense, lol. Arrow has always felt like the latter to me, which is probably why I've never really warmed up to it.

Last edited:
I understand Rows feelings about the situation but I think connecting universes would take way too much retconing MOS for my taste and then Steven Amell, who I dislike as an actor, would have to be invited to the party as well. Also I think having to be careful of the films has hurt Agents of Shield and will hurt the CW shows.

I really don't think it would take much retconning. Like Travesty said, they could just pass it off as the world discovering that aliens exist, not that superheroes are real. And at least at the end of the Flash pilot, the general public is not aware of his existence. And it looks like it might stay that way for at least a little bit before people realize it, based on next week's preview. So you could say that Barry started operating a week or so before the Smallville and Metropolis battes of MOS (which all occurred in a day or two, I think), and then the whole "who is the first public superhero" question is answered.

It's a moot point anyway; it's not going to happen. I just think it wouldn't be hard to make it work.

The Flash just now aired,so I don't see the problem of contradicting anything in MOS.

Arrow fits the same mold as Batman.An urban myth.If Batman can have existed for 10 years or so dealing with his regular rogues gallery without notice,Arrow shouldn't have much problem doing the same in his little corner of the universe.

We were talking about MOS having Superman be the first super. Going the opposite direction, you have Det. West going on about how "There is no controlling the weather" and decrying Barry's description of the supernatural as the musings of a scared little boy. Dr. Snow sees superpowers and says "that's not possible."

This is all nitpicky little detail stuff, that should be unnecessary. The thrust of the themes in both cases is to present the world's first public superhero with super powers and show how that incredible revelation changes the world around him. I shouldn't have to go into detail to point out the dialogue that describes it as so, because the storytellers did a great job of communicating that through the themes and settings and the reactions of the characters, and without that element, both stories lose part of their power. But I do have to, which says a lot about how far we are willing to go for a crossover.

Have you guys seen the new Batmobile? I don't think this Batman is an urban myth.

I've seen it, but I'm not a citizen of Gotham City, so I can't really draw any conclusions about what they have or haven't seen of it, much less what conclusions they've drawn.

Ha, an interesting question, because I've loved a lot of cheesy shows over the years. Honestly, the TYPE of cheese really matters for me, I think. There's a type of cheese that comes from predictability and lack of imagination, and then there's a more knowing type of cheese and camp that doesn't hide from the cliches, basically says, "yeah, we're just gonna gonna go for it," but is otherwise surrounded by a lot of imagination and personality. I feel like in the Buffy days in particular, Joss Whedon was the master of the latter, expertly subverting cliches one minute and yet other times fully embracing them when the time was right.

I dunno, there's a certain type of cheese that always works for me because I feel like the writers are really clever, inventive people who know exactly what they're doing, but the majority of the time it feels like shows are cheesy not because they're going for it, but because they don't know how to do it and NOT be cheesy. If that makes any sense, lol. Arrow has always felt like the latter to me, which is probably why I've never really warmed up to it.

That's real interesting. I don't pick up cheese in some of the stuff you do, so it kinda throws me, but it makes sense. I think it's because I don't predict stuff, or maybe I just read predictability as familiarity rather than lack of imagination. Not sure. Interesting though.

I really don't think it would take much retconning. Like Travesty said, they could just pass it off as the world discovering that aliens exist, not that superheroes are real. And at least at the end of the Flash pilot, the general public is not aware of his existence. And it looks like it might stay that way for at least a little bit before people realize it, based on next week's preview. So you could say that Barry started operating a week or so before the Smallville and Metropolis battes of MOS (which all occurred in a day or two, I think), and then the whole "who is the first public superhero" question is answered.

It's a moot point anyway; it's not going to happen. I just think it wouldn't be hard to make it work.

I had considered that idea 'what if they just happen at the same time.' And while that might work on a technical level (still not okay with Barry being busy while the world is ending), you've undermined both events thematically as in the world each is building, these characters are seeing the first superhuman, but we're cleverly making it so that they aren't, and they're reactions, instead of being reflective of the world changing, are just reflective of their ignorance of a separate property in the same universe.

This is also how Marvel dealt with the issue in Phase I, having 'Fury's Big Week' with Thor, The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man II all during the same time frame. It works better there because there is no theme of 'this is the world's first superhero' Iron Man already threw that out in the end credits. There's no "their mere existence changes everything" theme, so when you make it so that their existence doesn't actually change anything, you're not undermining the film in Marvel's case... it's not the same barrel of apples with The Flash and Man of Steel.

Last edited:
I'm not understanding why it matters who the first superhero was, or who was the first public one, or the more public one, etc.

Were they to connect the universes, MAN OF STEEL could easily have taken chronologically before THE FLASH, etc, and Flash would have shown up after Superman did. It's not that complicated. It would require a suspension of disbelief that Superman isn't at least occasionally mentioned whenever The Flash comes up, but...it's a superhero show. It requires that anyway.

Anyone know if someone has bothered to try and decipher the Braille at the end? I've tried to figure it out but can't make any rhyme or reason from it. All I could figure is it's running vertically instead of horizontal. I assume it's passages from The Time Machine but no clue being able to prove that. Tried to use some pattern charts but Braille is friggen complicated. Someone with some hidden talents out there?

Very impressed with The Flash pilot last night. It was really well done and Gustin did a solid job as Barry. I got the chills in certain scenes when watching. Always a good sign. Can't wait to see how things develop on this series and it was a nice touch to see JWS as Barry's father.

Well done Berlanti and Johns! Keep it up!

:up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"