The Flash The Flash Season 1, Episode 5 "Plastique" General Discussion

Grodd is going to be hard to pull, i hope the guy in the suit and the face works. But another great episode for sure, is always good to see clancy freaking brown as well

dug the voice modulation and the running on water! that ^& was cool
oh and yeah
GRODD BABY!!!:up: HELL TO THE FREAK YEAH!!
Love this show!

Lots of new stuff introduced in this episode.
The voice changing, the running on water, and up a building. Really cool.

Solid Episode. There's only one thing that disappointed me.

Plastique's death. I was hoping that they would use her for some Suicide Squad Episodes. It's disappointing that she's already gone.

Loved the episode just for showing Barry running on water and up buildings! Now I just need vibrating through objects and I'm set lol. I did hate that Plastique died though, wouldn't have minded her staying alive and popping in again later in the series.

Barry vibrating his vocal cords though in his meeting with Iris as the Flash? Was awesome! Has any of the Flashes done that before in the comics? And I felt bad for Iris and wish Joe and Barry would just tell her! And breaking up with her as friends because she won't stop with her fascination with the streak? Meh. Just tell her the truth! It feels forced and feels like more unnecessary drama and angst.

dammit.

didn't expect Plastique to die so soon. wanted her in SS

Gotta admit, the girl playing Plastique was a pretty bad/bland actress imho.

I thought the episode was good though; however the whole scene involving Plastique being shot and Barry arriving there felt odd in the way that it was shot, didn't feel organic at all.

I have a feeling maybe Plastique isn't gone for good. The explosion was her body's way to reject the bullet. There's plenty of comic book science to reason a way for her to be immune to her own explosive power. That was probably the professor's intent to get the General off her tail. He's from the future so he knows things...and he could be building a super villain army in secret.
p.s. I don't think Multiplex is dead either.

Last edited:
I have a feeling maybe Plastique isn't gone for good. The explosion was her body's way to reject the bullet. There's plenty of comic book science to reason a way for her to be immune to her own explosive power. That was probably the professor's intent to get the General off her tail. He's from the future so he knows things...and he could be building a super villain army in secret.
p.s. I don't think Multiplex is dead either.

I hope plastique returns
1968118-captain_atom_004.jpg

Good episode all around with me it hit on all the emotional notes and the displays of power were jaw dropping. I loved the Barry/Iris plot this episode and that Joe was aware the whole time. The effects running up the wall, and on water were crazy cool looking. The only thing I didn't like was Plastique dying at the end. She was a cool character and you could of easily seen how she could of fit in later.

Plastique was kind of a bad actor, but other than that, I loved this episode. They have yet to make a bad episode.

I agree that this is probably the best episode so far. kudos to the writers

My review (cross-posted):
The writers/producers of Flash/Arrow did something with tonight's episode that I didn't think was possible: they surpassed the angst storm they created by killing off Sara Lance, and did so by several layers of magnitude.

Every good hero needs to be faced with a moment in which something 'clicks' and they realize something fundamental either about who they are or what they're doing. For Oliver Queen, that moment was Tommy's death. For Barry Allen, it was Iris' confession that she's pursuing "the streak" because of Barry and what happened to his mother, her refusal to stop writing about "the streak" even though he told her he's no longer interested in proving the existence of the impossible, and the death of Bette Sans Souchi, and each is likely to have a very different and long-lasting effect on how and why he behaves, one that could potentially transform the series' lighthearted tone into something much deeply profound and impartial, which is not something I would've expected from this creative team.

The series' overall tonal impact and the creative direction for Barry's character personality-wise weren't the only things dramatically and permanently altered by tonight's episode; Harrison Wells' trajectory as a character was also altered, and I'm not sure the writers and producers were intending it to be this early in the story, particularly given the episode's coda.

After what he did in basically sending Bette to her death, Wells went from being 'shady yet likable' to being completely unlikable, and while I still believe that he'll ultimately turn out to be the season/series' "Big Bad", I don't think the writers were intending to turn the audience against him quite yet, which now makes their job going forward infinitely harder.

In short, they've unintentionally painted themselves into a corner that I'm not sure they can get themselves out of, especially if they're not yet ready to have Wells tip his hand.

On the plus side, though, they did introduce somebody who can be intentionally brought in to offset the issues they've created for themselves with Wells, that being Clancy Brown's General Wade Eiling. I have a very strong feeling that we haven't seen the last of him, and that there's going to be some serious reckoning on the horizon if/when he show up again, not only from Barry, but also from Cisco, and I'd hate to be in his shoes.

Joe West's dual role as both the series' most prominent civilian law enforcement officer and its equivalent to John Diggle continues to provide an element that you really couldn't get any other way, and it's never more apparent than in the scene where Joe admits that he not only knows about Barry's unrequited love for Iris, but that he wouldn't be opposed to any type of romantic relationship between them.... a scene that also happens to contain Barry's hilariously nonchalant revelation that he can physically and dramatically alter his voice.

In closing, I have to say that, with tonight's "hurricane of angst", the writers/producers have once again proven that they know how to keep people on their toes, and even if it created some unintentional hurdles for them as far as Wells' character is concerned, they still deserve kudos for what they gave us tonight.

Assuming if Wells is from the future, I really hope they let us know on what the "unaltered" timeline (timeline where Wells didn't interfere) was like since it seems like Wells is responsible for both the Flash and a lot of his villains existing in the universe right now.

Love the Grodd ending scene. Good episode overall.

For some reason I thought this was going to be the ep that actually airs next week with Girder.

It was interesting to see Barry meet a fellow Metahuman who wasn't using her powers for crime etc....and the building running scene and Flash outrunning the waterbomb tidal wave were both awesome action scenes.

My favourite parts though were the scenes with Barry/Joe and Barry/Iris, those two relationships are just nicely played.

Another great one.

I will remain skeptical of
metahuman deaths in superhero shows.

Also
As far as speculating how Grodd will be portrayed, I wonder, if they don't do full on CG talking gorilla, if it could be like his communication is all telepathic. As in, when he speaks, whoever he's talking to hears it in their head.
Or they could do like the shot he was in during this episode and have a majority of him obscured just to leave some of it up to the viewer's imagination.

Assuming if Wells is from the future, I really hope they let us know on what the "unaltered" timeline (timeline where Wells didn't interfere) was like since it seems like Wells is responsible for both the Flash and a lot of his villains existing in the universe right now.

That makes Joe's line about "The Universe Always Finding A Way" more interesting.

Anyone notice this playing in the "500 Proof" Bar Scene, which followed the Iris/Barry BFF Breakup...?

[YT]BJ7NVjZ-Eyg[/YT]

How did the bullet pass through Barry? He was fully covering Beth.
And Beth can touch herself. How does her power work?
Put your mask back on, fool!
Yeah that.
I want to wear the costume, just to see how the chin piece goes.

Isn't this first time Barry has vibrated???

New powers to be learned.

500 proof alcohol I found annoying . That would be 250% , just not possible. Writers goof.

I imagine Grodd will be a guy in a suit with CGI as well. No way they can create a fully CG talking Gorilla that looks good on CW budget

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"