The Gaming Lounge: Beyond - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking forward to the day that CoD goes the way of Guitar Hero. I enjoy shooters, mainly stuff like Borderlands and Halo, but I hate how big of a seller CoD is, while other more deserving games don't get as much attention.

I'm saying they have to realize those other genres are as popular too. And they 'd sell better if done Right. Alot of fans have been saying they kill for those other ip done in the "Right way." and alot of us like using our heads too and doing different approaches or ways to deal with things . other wise I have no issue with COD. But if you want those other genres to sell like COD you have to want to put the work into it and promote it in the same way.

like all those other up coming writers that put too much work into wolverine and his titles and then have you some one like bendis or Fab N . those others keep trying to make names for them selves and have trouble, but are confused why they haven't been called super scribs yet. it's cause some one like Bendis is willing to try other characters and promote them lesser know or new and tries his best to make them cool. Despite his insanity with some of what he does. while those others do the lazy man thing cause "oh it's easy." but that area is crowed enough as it is.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to the day that CoD goes the way of Guitar Hero. I enjoy shooters, mainly stuff like Borderlands and Halo, but I hate how big of a seller CoD is, while other more deserving games don't get as much attention.
Guitar Hero was always to some degree a novelty type of game despite all its success. Not the kind of thing that was likely to fare well being released regularly into perpetuity. To the average gamer buying one Guitar Hero game is enough and having the most recent one is not a matter of urgency.

CoD now has such a large & loyal fanbase & such huge sales that it could lose half overnight and still justify bringing a game out every year. Most are in it for the multiplayer but now that both lines offer a good co-op mode alongside half decent campaigns (unlike Battlefield for eg), I think it'll be a long time before it slows down. And when it does, maybe they will respond by finally innovating hard & moving to a superior game engine (a CoD 4 type jump). They have the cash saved over the last 5 years to inject whatever is needed whenever sales start falling enough.

All that said I couldn't play the CoD multiplayer day in, day out. It's fun for a while but....

Last edited:
I think that once Activision puts out multiple CoD releases per year on the consoles then we'll start seeing the market react negatively to CoD. The problem with Guitar Hero was that we were seeing multiple releases per year with 2010 seeing DJ Hero, Band Hero, Guitar Hero 5 (all of which cost a lot of money with the peripherals) plus multiple expansions (which was charged as much as a regular game). Too much in too short a time frame. I think we'll be seeing the same thing happen with Skylanders rather shortly.

With Call of Duty on the other hand, it's not so bad with one release per year at $60 a pop. But when you start putting out two/three/four $60 games per year, yeah, that's when the market will saturate.

I think that once Activision puts out multiple CoD releases per year on the consoles then we'll start seeing the market react negatively to CoD. The problem with Guitar Hero was that we were seeing multiple releases per year with 2010 seeing DJ Hero, Band Hero, Guitar Hero 5 (all of which cost a lot of money with the peripherals) plus multiple expansions (which was charged as much as a regular game). Too much in too short a time frame. I think we'll be seeing the same thing happen with Skylanders rather shortly.

With Call of Duty on the other hand, it's not so bad with one release per year at $60 a pop. But when you start putting out two/three/four $60 games per year, yeah, that's when the market will saturate.
I didn't realise they were putting out more than one game per year. Crazy!

oh they were. but I never got in to it. even when I worked as a tester I had just didn't get into that. it was just no rest from that genre. though cause there was so much music they didn't think people would be sick of it. it's that old saying "too much of one thing isn't always good." though some people still don't know what that means on the biznness sector. marvel comic's one of them for their industry with wolverine ever where and doubles of one character. ( if it was done in more moderation...) And Activision is that way for the games industry with Guitar Hero and it's spin offs.

Last edited:

I dont see Activision doing that and frankly they dont need to. The one console release a year with multiple DLC packs has been doing them just fine. Theyd be shooting themselves in the foot if they tried to put out two main console entries in one year and I think even they realize that

But they do put out multiple a year. COD 3 and Blops II.... For example.

I didn't realise they were putting out more than one game per year. Crazy!

Oh they were, and it got bad.

There was a time when I got Rock Band 2 when I spent my money on nothing but Rock Band DLC songs. I bought more 30 songs for it. It was fun for a while, but I got tired of it. I think South Park did it beat. There came a time in my life where I just felt that spending so much time playing Rock Band felt lame to me. I used to hate when people say it, but I honestly felt that if I were playing Rock Band So much with the guitar controller, I could be using that time to play actual music and get better with that.

And with CoD, I'm tired of it. I just don't feel the urge to play online games like I used to. I guess it comes down to most of my friends not being interested in live or not playing online and like me, using their accounts more for watching videos. I honestly use my account more for HBO Go than anything else.

On that note, I think Microsoft is smart to expand the Xbox into an entertainment center. It does a great job at it. The interface for video programs like Netflix and HBO are awesome. Youtube leaves something to be desired, but it's still good and runs well. HBO Go runs way better on Xbox than it does on a computer.

With Xbox Live, like I have been saying before, I wish they would do something more with Gold than forcing people to pay for it just to access more pay stuff. Give it more distinction or make it more special. I used to remember the diamond card but Microsoft didn't push it enough. I wish I got some sort of discount with Xbox music.

I guess he means Modern Warfare 3. But that was a 2011 title wasn't it?

Yeah, it was. One is done by Infinity Ward and the other by Treyarch.

Btw, is there even a point in releasing a new Modern Warfare game at all, with Blops II basically outmodern Modern Warfare?

What really baffles me is that I had a serious conversation with a friend of mine who is the typical CoD nut, and he actually explained what was new/different with the last few games. But for me, they all look like the same game, so much that I wouldn't be able to tell you which was which just based on a screenshot.

I meant MW3, but to be honest they come out so frequently that in just get lost.

MW series has to be over... Blops II is Next Gen Warfare...

I meant MW3, but to be honest they come out so frequently that in just get lost.

MW series has to be over... Blops II is Next Gen Warfare...
Nope its been one a year every November all this gen.

Activision made a trademark for Space Warfare so Id imagine we'll be seeing a CoD in space eventually.

Heh, CoD coming after Master Chief.

Heh, CoD coming after Master Chief.
If CoD: SW does well (and lets face it, it would), MS/Activision would make a killing if they arranged to have some type of crossover between a future Halo title and SW. The possibility for exclusive content and DLC packs would be too enticing to pass up.

I'm actually interested in this Space Warfare. As long as it feels different.

I might try it out if they actually make it. I avoid CoD and similar games like the plaque, because I simply do not like the real world setting. If I play a shooter, it needs to be either silly or sci-fi.

If I had to rank my top 5 FPS from this gen it would be

5. Bioshock 2
4. Borderlands
3. Resistance 2
2. Call of Duty 4
1. Killzone 2

1. Call of Duty 4
2. Halo 4
3. Call of Duty 2
4. Borderlands
5. Bioshock

Status