The Gaming Lounge: Beyond - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont see Activision doing that and frankly they dont need to. The one console release a year with multiple DLC packs has been doing them just fine. Theyd be shooting themselves in the foot if they tried to put out two main console entries in one year and I think even they realize that

Activision has stated that they intend to put out more than one Call of Duty title per year. Sledgehammer Games was working on a third person shooter with the Call of Duty brand attached to it until the mess involving Infinity Ward forced Activision to make them help the depleted studio with Modern Warfare 3.

So when there are three official Call of Duty developers it's inevitable that Activision is going to milk Call of Duty to the ground the way they did with Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk. Unlike other publishers that want a diverse amount of IPs, Activision's strategy is to have relatively few IPs that sell huge and to milk them for all they're worth until their dead and withering. Somehow, this strategy works.

Activision has stated that they intend to put out more than one Call of Duty title per year. Sledgehammer Games was working on a third person shooter with the Call of Duty brand attached to it until the mess involving Infinitdy Ward forced Activision to make them help the depleted studio with Modern Warfare 3.

So when there are three official Call of Duty developers it's inevitable that Activision is going to milk Call of Duty to the ground the way they did with Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk. Unlike other publishers that want a diverse amount of IPs, Activision's strategy is to have relatively few IPs that sell huge and to milk them for all they're worth until their dead and withering. Somehow, this strategy works.
well a third person shooter is a different genre and different kind of game. I dont consider that being the same case as the multiple releases of the GH franchise which were basically the same just with different songs. Until they start releasing multiple FPS entried to the main CoD series on consoles in one year, then I dont think it'll quite be the same. Their current business model cant support more than that. A 3rd person shooter is a different beast which I dont feel would necesarily be redundant and take away from the FPS they put out in November

As for Tony Hawk, the series went downhill bc the games downright sucked. They peaked around Tony Hawk 4, with Thug 1 and 2 being decent, but that was the last passable title. The ones that followed were just awful and if they had managed to maintain the quality of the earlier titles, the series wouldnt have died the way it did. Luckily for CoD, the games arent terrible. They may not be innovaters and deserve alot of the high praise they sometime get, but they are well done, playable and fun. I dont think there's been a sharp downward decline for it like we saw with TH. They more or less maintain comparable level of quality from game to game.

Last edited:
I bought Bully on the PSN. I have a couple of other brand new games I should be playing, but I can't put down Bully. Such an amazingly fun game.

I pretty much agree with Havok. Releasing a 3rd person shooter with the CoD brand would essentially be a different game. They can get away with what they're doing on CoD but it doesn't work for their other games (thankfully).

I also don't see enough evidence of burnout among its main fans. Most of the guys who bash it on my friends list who loved the 1st Modern Warfare & not much since are still playing Black Ops II all the time. For the billion dollar revenues the game makes, releasing an annual game is not really even milking it excessively from a business point of view. I really hope there is a big improvement in the engine for next gen as the multiplayer hasn't moved on enough for 5 years.

But the third person CoD game has effectively been cancelled now due to the Infinity Ward mess. If Sledgehammer ends up getting their own CoD title, it'll most likely be an FPS shooter. Maybe that Space Warfare title that Activision trademarked a couple of years ago while Infinity War works on the Modern Warfare series and Treyarch works on the Black Ops series. Or maybe a return to the franchise's roots with World War II.

I agree, that releasing one game a year for something like Call of Duty isn't milking it. But knowing Activision, they'll get around to milking it eventually and start putting out subpar games that will hurt the brand.

But the third person CoD game has effectively been cancelled now due to the Infinity Ward mess. If Sledgehammer ends up getting their own CoD title, it'll most likely be an FPS shooter. Maybe that Space Warfare title that Activision trademarked a couple of years ago while Infinity War works on the Modern Warfare series and Treyarch works on the Black Ops series. Or maybe a return to the franchise's roots with World War II.
I dont see the problem with that. How would that be any different than whats been going on for the past few years? Treyarch switches between another developer to create a FPS CoD game. In the past it was IW, and now likely will be Sledgehammer

Infinity Ward will forever be stuck making Call of Duty games. More like Infinity Ward, Treyarch, and Sledgehammer Games make their own FPS CoD games plus whatever developers get contracted to make more which will also be most likely FPS games. IMO, multiple major releases per year of the CoD brand will eventually happen as opposed to the current (and sustainable) model where it's only one major release plus a side game here and there that no one pays attention to.

Just posting this here in case people miss it who might have been interested (Borderlands 2)

Some multi-use codes for Golden Keys. Expire tomorrow so hurry up & put them in! Edit: you can use all 3
W3KTJ-FZ9CS-XS6BR-K6JJ3-XCFXT
WBKJT-SSZ5S-6S6B6-5FTTB-X5KSC
WT53J-RJBXZ-6Z636-56J3B-RJ39R
You need to load the game up, go to Extras, *Shift Code*, sing up & approve the terms etc. Then when signed up hit X and you can enter the codes 5 characters at a time.

I guess this is for 360, don't know if PS3 codes work the same way. Worth a try if they do.

Last edited:
I watched that Indie Game the movie. Felt absolutely no sympathy for any of these guys. They are all complete *****ebags. They think they are better than everyone and that every other game out there is stupid.

I haven't seen the movie, but I agree. Indie devs tend to be pretty *****y.

Yeah they are kind of jerks, but the amount of work they have to put in to their games was still interesting.

If anything, I'm hope for one of two things. I want a really good spy game or a great third person James Bond game. I mean I like Splinter Cell, but I guess I want something a bit more open world.

I'm still waiting for Rockstar's Agent, but I think that's going to be next gen.

A Bond Video game should be a combination of Splinter Cell (specifically Conviction) and the uncharted games.

How is the first Fable game? It's on the Steam Sale for $3.

Infinity Ward will forever be stuck making Call of Duty games. More like Infinity Ward, Treyarch, and Sledgehammer Games make their own FPS CoD games plus whatever developers get contracted to make more which will also be most likely FPS games. IMO, multiple major releases per year of the CoD brand will eventually happen as opposed to the current (and sustainable) model where it's only one major release plus a side game here and there that no one pays attention to.

Just came across that Neversoft is also making an FPS CoD game. It's old news from a couple of months ago, but apparently the next CoD game will not be an Infinity Ward one (which will be working on the next-gen CoD), but Neversoft's. So now there are four dedicated CoD studios within Activision.

Just came across that Neversoft is also making an FPS CoD game. It's old news from a couple of months ago, but apparently the next CoD game will not be an Infinity Ward one (which will be working on the next-gen CoD), but Neversoft's. So now there are four dedicated CoD studios within Activision.
Assuming the next gen consoles do come out in 2013, its a safe bet that the next CoD will be coming out on multiple platforms across gen. IW will be developing the main game for the next gen consoles and Neversoft will likely be doing the lesser port for the current gen ones. I really would not be surprised if that's how it goes down and I don't see as much different than how Activision's been proceeding with development with the CoD series (not to mention many of their other franchises) the last several years, splitting up who does the PS3/360/PC version from the Wii, which I believe has usually has been a different studio.

1 studio making the game for at least 7 (PS3, 360, Wii-U, PS4, next-Xbox, PC, possibly 3DS) platforms is a lot, especially given the varied hardware. It'd make more sense for them to get their lead experienced team to focus just on the best versions (next gen + PC) and let a lesser studio (who really doesn't have experience with the genre) handle the porting

Last edited:
I haven't seen the movie, but I agree. Indie devs tend to be pretty *****y.
except the ones that made mark of the ninja and metro city rampage those two are decent people and have showed them selves to be decent people from what they said of people that are in the industry that aren't part of the indie scene and they've talked nice of that part cause they were apart of it at one time. of which
i did put up and they spoke hihly of the rest of the industry as a whole of what they did say in pod casts them selves. But there always a half and half in every thing where people are involved it's not all a one sided deal.

Last edited:
So if anyone here bought the Street Fighter 25th Anniversary collection
USA_Street_Fighter_cast.png

Who watched this embarrassment?

I watched it when I was a kid and liked it. I preferred the MK series though

I liked it back when it was new
Now it's good for laughs

I liked it as a kid, kinda, but it annoyed me how small of roles, and weak Ryu and Ken were portrayed.

This thing about Ken & Ryu, a grief I share
Never liked it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija