The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
@gohei_ Let me know what you think of WiR :up:
I finished both of them last night.

Dark Victory : This one was actually really good. It's hard to compare it to TLH becasue it's been too long since I read that one but right now I would say that I like this one better.
I knew Robin was gonna be in this, and when he got introduced so late in the run I was worried that he was gonna join Batman on patrol and that it would feel rushed. Thankfully that did not happen so it felt pretty natural what happened.

When in Rome : To be honest, Catwoman has never been a character that I have had much interest in, so I wasn't sure what to expect here, but this turned out to be a really fun mini-series. I really enjoyed it. I think the art in this one was actually better than in DV.

On another note, I recently read Daredevil Yellow by the same creative team, and I gotta say that I find this particular art style fits Batman and Gotham a whole lot better than it does Daredevil.

I finished both of them last night.

Dark Victory : This one was actually really good. It's hard to compare it to TLH becasue it's been too long since I read that one but right now I would say that I like this one better.
I knew Robin was gonna be in this, and when he got introduced so late in the run I was worried that he was gonna join Batman on patrol and that it would feel rushed. Thankfully that did not happen so it felt pretty natural what happened.

When in Rome : To be honest, Catwoman has never been a character that I have had much interest in, so I wasn't sure what to expect here, but this turned out to be a really fun mini-series. I really enjoyed it. I think the art in this one was actually better than in DV.

Glad you enjoyed WiR. I'm like you, never been a huge fan of Catwoman, but I did enjoy WiR (wonder if she ever found out what happened to Blondie?). And like you I prefer DV over TLH.

On another note, I recently read Daredevil Yellow by the same creative team, and I gotta say that I find this particular art style fits Batman and Gotham a whole lot better than it does Daredevil.

I haven't read DDY, but that's interesting.

Cool :up:

Yeah if you like the Loeb/Sale duo, definitely check out their "color series" at Marvel: Daredevil: Yellow, Spider-Man: Blue, Hulk: Gray and the recent Captain America: White. I haven't read CAW yet, though.

Oh and I also commend Superman: For All Seasons. :hrt:

Yeah if you like the Loeb/Sale duo, definitely check out their "color series" at Marvel: Daredevil: Yellow, Spider-Man: Blue, Hulk: Gray and the recent Captain America: White. I haven't read CAW yet, though.

Oh and I also commend Superman: For All Seasons. :hrt:
I Really enjoyed Spider-Man Blue. Haven't read the other two.

Question for you guys: Are Green Arrow and Black Canary in any ongoing books?

Was super upset when their series got cancelled and I kinda fell off.

Question for you guys: Are Green Arrow and Black Canary in any ongoing books?

Was super upset when their series got cancelled and I kinda fell off.
Not that I know of. His title was cancelled and Batgirl and Birds of Prey was cancelled too I think. So unless someone else knows something that I don’t, I think there isn’t anything ongoing that they are in.

I agree 100%. I loved his Rebirth title. It nailed the characters. The way that it ended was bogus and totally unsatisfying.

LOL....The whole DC Future State thing went right past me...because of some hard times in teh family.

I'm too late to pre-order some #1's (and with the madness of keycollector apps, I'm sure these will get very expensive very soon...)
So I won't be giving DC any money january/febuary...
I can't help but wonder how many sales they will miss, this whole Future State looks like one big cluster ####

And then I wasn't intrested in Tom King's Bat/Cat mini-series so I won't be getting that either...
Thank god for Sean Murphy!

Personally I am hyped for King’s Bat/Cat mini (ducks while @Mani-Man throws something). If for no other reason than I really am
Excited for the introduction of Andrea Beaumont into a comic.

Ha, you are in luck because i already throw everything within reach constantly at my pc or smartphone because of the amount of how often DC reminds me that this will soon come out over at Twitter etc. XD

I get it DC, you love King and his batcat approach...i got that when you gave him 90+ issues to **** on everything batman and DC to make it work.XD
Now can you please promote other things too that i actually want to read.
I literally just stumbled over Batman White Knight present Harley Quinn because otherwise i wouldnt have known it exists since DC is occupied with Promoting Kings batcat.

I do struggle because god damn do i want to see Phantasma in the comics...but not like this, Not...like...this...DC. XD

But im in general currently a bit in the dark what goes on at DC because im too busy with Christmas perperations...which doesnt help when they constantly just promote this Mini series and nothing else.

On that note, can we give Otto Schmidt something please? The man tweets and retweets his art and man do i love each piece he posts.
Especially the stuff with Dinah and Ollie...god i miss them.

I too am looking forward to the Bat/Cat mini. Future State will likely be a miss for me though, unless I hear great things. I just wanna know what’s happening on Superman when it’s done.

I miss Dinah and GA as well.

I’m currently reading Identity Crisis and they are definitely the bright spot (well, Ollie and Wally are kind of bright spots.). I have loved Rebirth, but I will say that there has been some over-reliance on the Trinity in the past 5 years.

Same here, weordly enough, I preferred Dark Victory rather than Long Halloween for some reason. although I enjoy both of them quite a lot.
I say weird because I thought I was alone in this case, it seems to me most people prefer TLH.

Future Slate/5g lite is not sitting right with me. I hate what they have done to the Teen Titans (Young Justice). You have Conner on the SS instead of Superman where belongs and Cassie, Tim & Bart are just missing from everything altogether. Just doesn't sit right with me.

Both Batman and Detective are pretty decent right now.

Lost interest in Death Metal. Wont touch Future State or Batman/Catwoman.

I’m surprised how much I am enjoying Death Metal. And Batman/Catwoman got off to an interesting start with that first issue.

I’m loving Detective but Batman is suffering a bit from too many new characters. Ghost Maker is kind of lame and contrived. And I’m sorry but Punchline is Harley Quinn if you stripped Harley of all personality and everything that makes her fun and interesting.

I Enjoy the hell out of Batman, Detective comics is neat too yeah.

I have lost track of what is going on at death metal, i just want to see how it ends at this point so they can prepare having it all in one book so i can give it a shot again and read it in one go.
I want to like it because the idea is neat, but its Snyder and the writing therefore tends to be too overblown at times.

Future state i will decide from issue to issue i think, i will certainly give them a try but im never a huge fan of such future stories.

And yeah i think its no surprise that i wont touch Batman/Catwoman. XD

I’m loving Detective but Batman is suffering a bit from too many new characters. Ghost Maker is kind of lame and contrived. And I’m sorry but Punchline is Harley Quinn if you stripped Harley of all personality and everything that makes her fun and interesting.

I like Ghost Makers design, but other than that its not some really cool new addition.
Same with Clown Hunter.
Im still hoping for a Two Face or Black Mask or so straightforward gangster arc with Tynion.

I like Punchlines look, but other than that the character is rather pale.

Some of the FutureState Suprman covers, I think for the books written by Philip Kennedy Johnson, are gorgeous. But I still dont think I'll be checking them out.

Batman/Catwoman #1 was pretty good. It shifts across 3 timelines kind of like a TV show does, rather than using captions or color choices or panel/page breaks. Panels kind of intersect snd overlap. I thought that was a unique storytelling choice where it was implemented. This issue is basically set-up. Not much meat there but theres a lot of subtlety in the visuals. Looking forward to re-reading it.

Strange Adventures # 7, however...just wow. The story between last issue and this issue just took the book to a new level for me. And Doc Shaner's, and especially Mitch Gerads', artwork was absolutely phenomenal. Some of the best comic book art/visual storytelling I've seen in comics recently. This is my top of the read pile going forward.

So I finished the Metal special Last Stories of the DC Universe. I really enjoyed that. It had tons of heart. And it was amazing to see Mark Waid writing a short Superman story again. I enjoyed all of the stories in it. And as a fan of these two characters I loved and hated the “marriage” of
Nightwing and Batgirl
. It should’ve been better, but it feels somewhat cheap knowing that it won’t last. At least it was funny to have them fully acknowledge that the marriage will be over as soon as that story concluded.

From what I gather from how he is talking he wants to continue off what Bendis did and it seems we'll be getting a Superman more like Reeve. While Bendis is set to destroy the Justice League next.

I've not read The Last God as I'm veeeeeery particular with sword & sorcery stuff, but some of Philip Kenndey Johnson's indie work sounds pretty interesting and is critically acclaimed. While I will have to investigate further, has anyone read any of his work to make a recomendation?

While I'm bummed (an understatement) that Waid isnt taking over the Superman books, Johnson says a lot that I'm liking so I think i'll stick with the Super books for the time being. Can't go wrong with Phil Hester on art either.

Also, Rorschach #3. I feel like I'm the only one reading this in some sort of weird Twilight Zone twist of circumstances. But this book is GOOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"