The Good Citizens of Metropolis: The Casting Thread

Going with Routh feels gimmicky, but I do like the idea of a Jor-El that is (comparatively) young. And it’s not quite as on-the-nose as… some of the choices for Jor-El I’ve seen in this thread. :o

Another great shout, but I’d like him to play someone who could stick around for a bit. No one huge enough to be distracting; maybe (and this would be ironic) Ted Kord.

Homelander for Superman’s birth father?

That’s…bold.

“Even though you’ve been raised as a human being, you are STRONGER! YOU’RE SMARTER! YOU’RE BETTER! People will be thanking Christ that you are who you are because they need you. They need you to save them. They’re not the real heroes. You are, my son. No God. The only man in the sky is you.”

“Even though you’ve been raised as a human being, you are STRONGER! YOU’RE SMARTER! YOU’RE BETTER! People will be thanking Christ that you are who you are because they need you. They need you to save them. They’re not the real heroes. You are, my son. No God. The only man in the sky is you.”
Still better than...

"Should I let them die"

"Maybe"

I don’t think I’ll ever forgive Snyder for how he squandered such a great cast. Costner was perfect casting for Jonathan. And then Snyder goes and does that with him. Smdh.
Worse yet, he teased us in the trailers, making it look like Jonathan wasn’t going to be a total apathetic jackwagon when he showed us lines like “can’t I just keep pretending I’m your son?” “You are my son.” Or the “You’re not just anyone” speech from the teaser.

Costner had the chance to be the greatest on screen Jonathan maybe ever. Possibly even greater than Glenn Ford. But he was given such terrible material. Then it was doubled down on in BvS with that stupid hero cake monologue that basically was Jonathan telling Clark that caring for people is a worthless endeavor.

Shame.

You know, SpaceJesus is at least more justifiable and bearable than Batgod.

Last edited:
what if they just used Corenswet himself as Jor-El ? really show that family resemblance (maybe just slightly change up his looks, enough) so, you can tell the difference (age him up a bit or give him a beard)

most the casting suggestions are always just slightly older look-a-like actors who fit that Superman-ish appearance, anyway (who looks more like him, then him?)

as much as I'd like to see cameos from previous Superman actors, I agree them for Jor-El would be kinda gimmicky

I would be against Corenswet playing Jor-El… even with makeup, it will obviously be him and would be cheesy and distracting. Better to just find an actor who looks like he could be his father.

Respectfully, Jor-El is the character in Superman mythos I care about the least. He was in Man Of Steel a bit too much for my tastes. I wouldn't mind if we solely see tiny Jor-El blown away on Krypton in the first few minutes.

I appreciate the playful snark. :cwink: But you raise an interesting point. There’s no great controversy in saying that Superman is stronger than any human. But is he “better” — i.e., morally superior — to any human? I’d say yes. Unequivocally. The next question, though, is more debatable: should this moral superiority ever be explicitly addressed within the narratives? I can see that as being more contentious and controversial. So pragmatically speaking, there’s some validity to the “just don’t go there” policy.

You know, SpaceJesus is at least more justifiable and bearable than Batgod.
The closest we have gotten to Batgod in the films is Bruce surviving a punch from Superman in the JL movie. And maybe how a knee brace magically fixed Bruce's bum leg.

I appreciate the playful snark. :cwink: But you raise an interesting point. There’s no great controversy in saying that Superman is stronger than any human. But is he “better” — i.e., morally superior — to any human? I’d say yes. Unequivocally. The next question, though, is more debatable: should this moral superiority ever be explicitly addressed within the narratives? I can see that as being more contentious and controversial. So pragmatically speaking, there’s some validity to the “just don’t go there” policy.

Superman is typically written as someone to be inspired by and learned from, so I’d say it’s often - if implicitly - addressed.

This also supposes that Superman is always morally correct, which gets tricky when you start playing with comic book logic :oldrazz:

The closest we have gotten to Batgod in the films is Bruce surviving a punch from Superman in the JL movie. And maybe how a knee brace magically fixed Bruce's bum leg.
I mean in general, not just the films.

I mean in general, not just the films.
DPJ8rxFw_400x400.jpg

1710519248305.jpeg
I find unfiltered jerk Mobius Chair Batman to be hilarious. Especially when he cuts Hal down to size with a sentence.
“You’re not a hero, Jordan. The ring is the hero.”

As far as putowns, I'll always find Batman calling Robin an r-tard to be such a guilty pleasure moment for me. It never fails to make me laugh.

She’s way too young to be Corenswet’s mom (unless it’s all flashbacks, which I doubt is what we’re in for), but I feel like Carrie Coon has a good Martha Kent quality.

I'll live with it, but I'd be kinda disappointed if we don't get some well known names for Jonathan and Martha.

I'm over the continuing de-ageing of Martha Kent and Aunt May.

My choices are Alfre Woodard or Francis McDormand.

I don’t really think Martha’s de-aging has been as egregious as Aunt May’s but I’m also hoping Jonathan and Martha are on the older side.

I've always disliked the relative Benjamin Buttoning of certain characters in superhero films. Not every character has to have sex appeal. Aunt May can just be an old hag.

I've always disliked the relative Benjamin Buttoning of certain characters in superhero films. Not every character has to have sex appeal. Aunt May can just be an old hag.
I mean, if we’re being honest, Tomei was already in her fifties when she began playing May. That’s not a crazy bit of de-aging for the character (I imagine many fifty-something women in the 1960s looked not far off from comic Aunt May). It’s just that Tomei in her fifties looked incredible.

I don’t really think Martha’s de-aging has been as egregious as Aunt May’s but I’m also hoping Jonathan and Martha are on the older side.
Let Ma Kent have a crack at Bruce or Alfred. Let her get her freak on!

200w.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Netizen95
    Back
    monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"