The Hal Jordan/Green Lantern Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah for real. Reynolds wasn't absolutely horrible but he just did OK. We need to move on and bring some new blood into the franchise.

I've never heard anyone say "Ryan Reynolds was fantastic!" it's always "Well, the movie wasn't Ryan's fault!" But he certainly didn't do anything to save it.

I'd say of all the major comic book movies (150 M + budget) of the past 5 years, Reynolds turn as Lantern was the weakest performance of any lead actor. Weaker than Downey, Bale, Hemsworth, Evans, Garfield etc.

Brandon Routh was recast, and the Superman film he starred in was A) better than Green Lantern and B) sold twice as many tickets on the same budget. That one wasn't "good enough". Why should Reynolds and his GL franchise get a second chance?

New actor please.

Last edited:
I've never heard anyone say "Ryan Reynolds was fantastic!" it's always "Well, the movie wasn't Ryan's fault!" But he certainly didn't do anything to save it.

I'd say of all the major comic book movies (150 M + budget) of the past 5 years, Reynolds turn as Lantern was the weakest performance of any lead actor. Weaker than Downey, Bale, Hemsworth, Evans, Garfield etc.

Brandon Routh was recast, and the Superman film he starred in was A) better than Green Lantern and B) sold twice as many tickets on the same budget. That one wasn't "good enough". Why should Reynolds and his GL franchise get a second chance?

New actor please.

You got a point there but if they change Reynolds then they're gonna reboot it altogether, and do we need to see an origin al over again? do we really want another actor for Sinestro? IMO Reynolds was fine (as Routh). Norton was great as Banner and he was recast... Im sick of reboots and recasts. Just keep the established guy and go with it. They didn't reboot the star trek franchise after the first one, why do they need to recast Hal?

always felt pine would of been a better choice but i can understand him playing kirk was a bit too similair to hal

New actor please.

Reynolds did an outstanding job. I'm a huge GL fan, but I'm the first to admit that the GLC universe is a much harder sell in a movie. Despite the collective comic book experience of the GL writing team, there was a clear lack of knowledge with Hal's history as well as the overall strength of the GLC mythos. I can't fault Reynolds for that.

Reynolds did an outstanding job? Yikes.

And Norton as Banner was not my cup of tea. Ruffalo fit the role better.

Just because they re-cast Hal doesnt mean they have to re-do the origin story. They're "rebooting" Batman and they're not doing an origin, theyre gonna jump right into Batman in his early years already developed. With a new Hal they can do like Ruffalo and hint at the origin (first movie) and leave it at that. Or they can act like GL (2011) never happened.

Reynolds did an outstanding job? Yikes.

And Norton as Banner was not my cup of tea. Ruffalo fit the role better.

Just because they re-cast Hal doesnt mean they have to re-do the origin story. They're "rebooting" Batman and they're not doing an origin, theyre gonna jump right into Batman in his early years already developed. With a new Hal they can do like Ruffalo and hint at the origin (first movie) and leave it at that. Or they can act like GL (2011) never happened.

The acting and visuals were fine, that's why Green Lantern is one of my favorite comic book films. The movie stumbled at the BO (as just about all adaptations do) because it didn't trust it's own mythos.

imo Reynolds was just passable and in this day and age of seeing guys like rdj and bale hell even hesmworth is what i call outstanding for his comic character ryan was just passable

hal could of and should of been so much more

imo Reynolds was just passable and in this day and age of seeing guys like rdj and bale hell even hesmworth is what i call outstanding for his comic character ryan was just passable

hal could of and should of been so much more

I have to admit that I'm partial to Reynolds. I want him to return as GL, Deadpool ( with the rumored rebooted mythos), and hopfully some other comic book characters in the future. He's a ladies man with a geek heart-- I have to respect that. I hope he finds his signature role someday.

I would be fine if Chris Pine took over Ryan Reynolds as Hal.
But Ryan Reynolds would still be my top choice.

deadpool imo is his role he needs to take he was born to play that role i cant see anyone else as deadpool while i think guys like edgerton and pine could of made an amazing hal jordan especially pine

I don't think Pine will want to take on a third franchise. He already has Kirk and possibly Jack Ryan under his belt.

And... I just don't know. Pine certainly has the look and cocky charm but... he just isn't on my radar for Hal Jordan.

All this talk about Pine as Hal and what could have been, reminds me of the Fassbender/Batman talk. Stuff that wont happen. But how friggin beautiful would it have been if those two werent committed to such franchises....

Cavill, Fassbender/Bale, Pine as Superman/Batman/Green Lantern.

Oh what could have been. :csad::csad:

Reynolds performance wasn't one of the greatest, but he was very good. He inhabited the role of Hal Jordan as it was written in the film about as well as anyone would have. He was appropriately cocky/funny as Hal, stoic/heroic as Green Lantern, did well physically when the role called for it, handled the fear scenes well, and also nailed most of the softer/more open moments with Carol and his nephew.

Ryan Reynolds was fine, it was the script, direction, and tone that was the problem. they need to give GL a TIH, change up the continuity so we aren't bound to this rediculousness. Establish RR as GL in a JL film with a new costume that isn't motion capture or meant to be a construct, just his outfit. Let it be more Earth based.

Yeah, I liked Reynolds in the role. He might not have been 100% the Hal that's in the comics, but that's largely due to the fact that they changed him from a man with literally no fear to a man who doesn't let his fears hold him back. And honestly, I was fine with the change. I guess you could call his character an amalgamation of Hal and Kyle in that regard.

And if you didn't like him in the role, well, just remember, we could have gotten Jack Black or Justin Timberlake, and don't you try and tell me for one minute that either of them wouldn't have sucked.

Cooper would be a good Hal Jordan but I don't see anything wrong with Reynolds.

GL got terrible reviews from the critics and audience and it bombed. Reynolds ain't ever playing GL again. Count on it.

Actually, yeah, to be fair, a few more people did go see Ghost Rider than Green Lantern.

fact is ryan is still a big star despite gl failure they would still bring him back

it's around this time that I end up bringing this up.
[YT]8ETDE0VGJY4[/YT] whenever I see this, it screams GL movie. From the scale to the scope to the casting to the talk of fear. All that needs changing is replacing the ship footage with lantern battles and Bana's character with Atrocitus.

It also tells me that Abrams and his wonderful direction is the only thing to truly stand up to Whedons(his old rival).

if you recast him, you kinda loose that umph that Avengers enjoyed, however as much as it hurt Banner's appearance, they made up for it. Recast him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"