The Incredible Hulk's True Size

Why are you trying to make me angry? :cmad:

Other than Banner turning into a Monster, Hulk doesn't "grow". That is one thing I hated about the Ang Lee movie.

:bh:

well if banner changed from himself to gray hulk, to professor hulk to savage hulk, wouldn't you consider that some form of growth or continuous growth?

I know it wasn't in teh comics but at least one subsequent growth to show he's particularly mad doesn't bother me as long as it is in relation to his surroundings and he aint nekkid.

realistically speaking he's altered in size throughout the years, the same way spiderman has become leaner over the years even though the bite was supposed to sort out his physique for good.

at least ang attempted to justify this variation in a manner that fitted in with the character's characteristics of stronger/madder/bigger.

The Hulk is a Shapeshifter (like most Gamma Mutants), and depepending on his psychological state he changes into certain forms.

Hulks size has nothing to do with his strength, his strength is dependant on his anger level, this is something LL and co have taken into consideration, so expect enormous feats of strength from this film.

Different artist renderings and incarnations over the years aside, I've never heard anything about Hulk getting bigger as he got angrier before the Ang Lee movie. Besides, in all those times I don't think he ever exceded 9 feet. The scene from the first movie when Hulk is towering over Betty and the scene where Talbot tried to use that needle on Hulk (Hulk's head was 2/3 the size of Talbot's whole body) stick out in my mind that they just made him too damn big in that movie.

Furthermore, one of the most interesting things about Hulk is that all this raw power and mass destruction is caused by one angry and slightly oversized guy. Making him a giant (i.e. 15 feet tall) was a huge cop-out.

As for things like surfing on buses and using cars for roller blades, save that crap for when Hank Pym gets his own movie. This is the Hulk. He breaks things. Period.

Don't complain because *gasp* people have opinions that *gasp* vary from your own. If you'd been on this site long enough, you'd realise that this is actually the norm.

i'm merely underwhelmed by his size as well as his general muscle mass in that pic. That is a male version of what i would expect if she-hulk was real.

ultimately size allows for big things to be done. By reducing him, reduces what is possible visually.

He wouldn't be able to use some cars as a roller blade or a bus as a skateboard or throw a car like a football. or systematically have enough of an arm span to warrant picking up a building.

but it is what it is. what it lacks in size, it probably (hopefully) should make up for in speed hoping they finally animate him properly.

no big deal at the end of the day

I have been on this site since 2001. I read a lot of threads. I just choose not to pipe in often. My point was just that people complained about Ang's "King Hulk" and the gripes and what people wanted then is what we got this time around and now people are griping about how the '08 Hulk should have more traits of the '03 Hulk.

It just made clear that fan boys (and we all are) will never all be satisfied as a whole and that is fine.

I have been on this site since 2001. I read a lot of threads. I just choose not to pipe in often. My point was just that people complained about Ang's "King Hulk" and the gripes and what people wanted then is what we got this time around and now people are griping about how the '08 Hulk should have more traits of the '03 Hulk.

It just made clear that fan boys (and we all are) will never all be satisfied as a whole and that is fine.

Yerp you can never please everyone, luckily though the majority seem to prefer this 9ft Hulk.

yes and it gets a tad frustrating. they are trying to make up for the mistakes the first made and peolpe dont want to appreciate that fact. IMHO this hulk at a consistant 9ft size is spot on.

lol why is everybody concered with his freakin size, no offense but do you rather have some green midget or some gigantic godzilla guy,hes the hulk man.

Hulks size has nothing to do with his strength, his strength is dependant on his anger level, this is something LL and co have taken into consideration, so expect enormous feats of strength from this film.
I'm not directly comparing size to strength. I mentioned superman picking up a continent and that was fine. Picking up stuff from underneath (which was pretty much all of superman's feats) or above means you don't really have to worry about size.

the hulk's gimmick is basically having everything seem puny in comparison to himself. not miniscule but puny and definitely on a different scale.

just instead of using something the size of a dishwasher as a football, he may have to use a microwave because he's not scaled large enough to wrap his hands round a dishwasher.

It's not big deal, it just limits him, that's all.

Different artist renderings and incarnations over the years aside, I've never heard anything about Hulk getting bigger as he got angrier before the Ang Lee movie. Besides, in all those times I don't think he ever exceded 9 feet.
is this in the comics or in the films

The scene from the first movie when Hulk is towering over Betty and the scene where Talbot tried to use that needle on Hulk (Hulk's head was 2/3 the size of Talbot's whole body) stick out in my mind that they just made him too damn big in that movie.

Alright, I made a thread about the betty scene. The reason I believe he was big then was to mirror a scene earlier in the film where betty had a dream and bruce picked her up at the end and tried to kill her. So she had a big man she cared about try to hurt her.

In the scene they had a big monster pick her up and try to protect her. There was a significant connection between the two scenes that mirror but contrast one another but is subtle enough for those who wish to see it to interpret it. That's the only reason i thought the hulk was so large in that scene, to keep up with the proportions a child would have in comparison to an adult.

Apart from that reason, I also believe he was too big in those scenes and ang should have brought him back down some sizes as well. Have him grow with the tanks when he gets shot so he can throw the and mash them up. have him get smaller on the plane while he's out cold...etc...

Furthermore, one of the most interesting things about Hulk is that all this raw power and mass destruction is caused by one angry and slightly oversized guy. Making him a giant (i.e. 15 feet tall) was a huge cop-out.

As for things like surfing on buses and using cars for roller blades, save that crap for when Hank Pym gets his own movie. This is the Hulk. He breaks things. Period.
I think the real cop out is the artistic licence that has been taken over the years to have him complete feats based on a size he isn't but then people not realising actually how large (not strong but physically large) he'd have to be to do them.

they say in this film he's going to be using cars as boxing gloves, considering he's probably only as tall as a car is long, i'd be interested to see how this feat is performed without looking.....strange...

well 'good' for those people. :cool:

I am not 'people' and I didn't complain back in 03.

There is always going to be someone not particularly happy with a final product of something because we are dealing with a medium where the imagination fills a large percentage of gaps in story telling

ultimately when it comes down to it, i'm more of a story purist than a cgi one so all these points won't really be mentioned after the film, it's just there is nothing else to speak about at this time.

I'm not directly comparing size to strength. I mentioned superman picking up a continent and that was fine. Picking up stuff from underneath (which was pretty much all of superman's feats) or above means you don't really have to worry about size.

the hulk's gimmick is basically having everything seem puny in comparison to himself. not miniscule but puny and definitely on a different scale.

just instead of using something the size of a dishwasher as a football, he may have to use a microwave because he's not scaled large enough to wrap his hands round a dishwasher.

It's not big deal, it just limits him, that's all.

But that's the thing, it doesn't. This hulk could likely still throw a dishwasher like a football, his hand may not wrap around the whole thing but he could still likely get a really firm grip with one hand and toss it like a football.

his hands are too small for that, he'd have problems tossing emil like a football let alone a washing machines.

have a closer look

his hands are too small for that, he'd have problems tossing emil like a football let alone a washing machines.

have a closer look

I've seen average looking men with average levels of physical strength throw each other. Why can't Hulk do something like that?

Odin, let's not get on the discussion of size to comparitive strength on a board about superheroes and villians. Because we can start with Wolverine, and work our way down.

This is how big the Hulk should be.

300px-Incredible_Hulk_3.jpg

I don't think a movie's interpretation of that would be impressive. As much as I respect Kirby's art, the scale of his Hulk is a little underwhelming for a being described as "incredible."

Mmm, when a green man effortlessly wraps his hand around your entire torso, I'd love to see how underwhelmed you are.
I think the eye would buy it as more "real".
When he's 10 feet tall it just screams out "giant inflatable Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloon, or rented inflatable green ape parked in the lot of a used car dealership for a promotional event".

have a closer look

It doesn't matter about the method, it's the result that counts. New Hulk may not be able to wrap his hands round the entire dish washer, but he can still grip it in one hand and throw it as good as old hulk. Same goes for Blonsky, new hulk might not be able to wrap his entire hand round him and toss him a mile but he can grab him with a grip and chuck him as far. I really don't see how the size is limiting him if every action has the same result.

Hahaha, I wish they would've done it exactly like that in the movie. All of these geeks would've rioted in the streets and then had strokes and fallen over dead.

*sPrOiNg!*
*sPrOiNg!*
*sPrOiNg!*
*sPrOiNg!*

That cartoon also reminded me of how lame it is that it's not even known ( as far as I've heard. :eek: ) if Hulk even TALKS.

HULK TALKS.
**** your realism...that's why comic books are so great, they are an E.S.C.A.P.E. from reality. :whatever:

heh

That cartoon also reminded me of how lame it is that it's not even known ( as far as I've heard. :eek: ) if Hulk even TALKS.

Yep, Lou Ferrigno is doing the voice. :hulk:

And I knew about the jumping, of course, there's just been some talk lately about how some folks (Liv Tyler for one) didn't like the leaping scenes in the 03 movie.

Best part of the movie, IMO.

Wait, you mean the leaping scenes in Ang Lee's Hulk were actually based on something from the comic?? :dry:

Obviously. He goes cross country with his leaps.

That question shows how much of haters know about the source, heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"