Daredevil The Inevitable Costume Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, you are comparing tv costumes to budget film costumes. I think that alone is a badge for DD:yay:. I think the costume as of now and with a DD symbol in the chest could easily stand it's own in Civil War and that's impressive. It's not as good as Deadpool but i can definitely see Daredevil

The red costume from the show was made by the same folks that did the rest of the MCU film costumes.

The red costume from the show was made by the same folks that did the rest of the MCU film costumes.

That doesn't mean that they had the same budgets, which of course they didn't.

And doesn't mean they have the same amount of time to make it. Movie costumes go through months of testing and tweaking to get something just right, even then they may still have to make compromises. I know for Cap's stealth suit for winter soldier (and I assume for later films) were made from a custom fabric the costume depart developed themselves. You can't buy that at a fabric store. The thing you have to remember is that it's a numbers game. They only have so much budget and so much time for a costume that only shows up in 15 minutes. Multi-million dollar films have so much more of both. Granted Netflix probably invested more because they new they'll need it to be right for future season, still not like the time and money Winter Soldier had. So just because it was made by the same companies does not insure the same quality.

That in mind, I still think it fits right in with the MCU.

only sleaking it down without the lines and seams would look rathr cheap. see what happend to cap americas suit in avengers. it needs to show the material what its like...
you can explain it in a comic and draw what ever you like ...
if kingpin just had worn a regular suit and they said it's bulletproof or resistant against knifes (which actually exists) it would work against the argument that you don't have to explain everything on film, because it's a visual medium.
you can't show it like they did. you know, that the fabric is hiding a layer of indestructible cloth underneath.
they should have had a scene where he get's his suit and tries it out with a knife or shooting on it...but it's just another way of story telling.

and it looks cooler when you see that daredevil is actually wearing some sort of protection.
now batman works with just a ''fabric'' looking suit because of the cloak. plus you think of him as superior human being anyway.
his armor underneath is a sort of a secret. and you barely see the suit underneath.

but even then you have to give it some lines and texture to make it look convincing.

long story short: it looks cooler that way... the end

The new costume is roughly on par with what Cap has worn in the movies. I think it's a lot better than Cap's costume in the first Avengers film.

It's not a budget issue it's just the style the MCU seems to go with its street level hero's.

I would be curious to see what a Zach Snyder take on the DD costume would be?
it would look like a red ken doll with a mask and horns on top

It was DESIGNED by the same designer Marvel has, Ryan Meinderling who is their head of Visual department. As others have said the time and effort required to translate that design is completely different than the other MCU films. You can have the same blueprint for a building but a different architect and the building might end up differently.

They tweaked the costume now and it looks great but it's unfair to compare it to Deadpool. It should be compared to Flash or Arrow, not big budget films.

It was DESIGNED by the same designer Marvel has, Ryan Meinderling who is their head of Visual department. As others have said the time and effort required to translate that design is completely different than the other MCU films. You can have the same blueprint for a building but a different architect and the building might end up differently.

They tweaked the costume now and it looks great but it's unfair to compare it to Deadpool. It should be compared to Flash or Arrow, not big budget films.
ok... 200 million for 6o episodes and four different series, as daredevil, jj, iron fist and luke cage over the span of three years
50 million each series

deadpool budget 58 millions

Actually it's about $43 mil or 3.3 per episode for the first 13 episode season which you could almost say is a 13 hour movie.

I await the next update.

Actually it's about $43 mil or 3.3 per episode for the first 13 episode season which you could almost say is a 13 hour movie.

Still not comparable to an Marvel film budget. If we're comparing it to something, its similar to the budget Deadpool had.

The cowl looks a lot better. Love the red eyes.

And that, in turn, doesn't mean that just because the show itself has a smaller budget, the suit also costs less to make.

I'm curious, do you have any actual $ numbers to compare making that statement?

The Avengers had a huge budget, and yet Cap's suit looks cheap as ****. The red DD suit looks miles better than that.

And doesn't mean they have the same amount of time to make it. Movie costumes go through months of testing and tweaking to get something just right, even then they may still have to make compromises. I know for Cap's stealth suit for winter soldier (and I assume for later films) were made from a custom fabric the costume depart developed themselves.

Here is a quote from DDs costume designer Stephanie Maslansky:

"I have to be honest about this: I did not create that costume. That costume was conceptualized by Marvel, and it was a huge deal. Fabrics were created, pieces were manufactured. The costume was created by utilizing a variety of craftsmen — let’s put it that way — and it really came together over time. What I've been led to understand is it’s typical of the superhero costumes in the Marvel cinematic universe that they are more or less created by comic illustrators themselves, because they're the ones that conceptualize these things. It’s kind of an odd way to work. I have the feeling that if it happens again, then I will get more involved. I told them that I want to. I think that it would be more efficient that way, but that said, I am really happy with the costumes that they came up with."

Nothing here suggests that it wasn't made with the same amount of time, effort and quality as the rest of the MCU suits; in fact, it points to the opposite.

If you wanna talk about budget for these costumes, please provide some actual numbers to compare - time, money, etc. Simply using the logic "It's a movie, so it must be better, because they have more money" is not enough to make that conclusion...

And that, in turn, doesn't mean that just because the show itself has a smaller budget, the suit also costs less to make.

I'm curious, do you have any actual $ numbers to compare making that statement?

The Avengers had a huge budget, and yet Cap's suit looks cheap as ****. The red DD suit looks miles better than that.

You might be right that it didn't cost any less and they didn't spend any less time on Daredevil's suit than, for example, Cap's suit in Winter Soldier, but I don't think so. I don't have the actual $ numbers that they spent on Daredevil's suit compared to Cap's. Maybe it's possible to find them, but I'm really to lazy to look. But I think it makes sense that they didn't spend as much money on Daredevil's suit, considering that they don't have as much money overall compared to the average MCU movie. There's quite the difference between a budget of $43 mil compared to a budget of $150 mil, wouldn't you say? I think it makes sense to think that they didn't spend as much money on suits, action, CGI, actors etc.

I think Daredevil's first red suit is comparable to Cap's first Avengers suit, but Daredevil's new and improved suit is miles better.

Well Netflix have what? Hundred thousand dollar busgets? Marvel movie have multi million dollar budgets.

The original contract was 200M for 60 total episodes spread across the shows. That averages to about 3.3M per episode. I would tend to figure its still about the same for DD season 2, even though its not part of the old contract.

I would be curious to see what a Zach Snyder take on the DD costume would be?

I'm guessing it'd be bright red. . . but you couldn't tell, because the desaturation filter would reduce it to just the vaguest hint of not being black. Also, the show would end with Fisk desperately flailing with his fists to kill a nearby random family, forcing Matt to break his neck.

Deadpool's comic costume has a lot of similarities to the DD show costume.

They are both vague tactical jumpsuit type suits

DD's comic costume is just red tights and some boxing type trunks, harder to translate fully as Deadpool's comic costume for the reason I've stated.

Also, its useful to note some other things:

1. Deadpool has the advantage of not caring about wounds so much. Armor is almost completely irrelevant to him.

2. Deadpool actually did have costume progression of his own, albeit shown in a montage. He didn't just pull a full body spandex suit out of the ether, he went through intermediate steps ( and probably spent a good chunk of his mercenary earnings improving his look ).

3. Deadpool has a *completely* different tone than Daredevil, on almost every imaginable level. This kind of effects would types of costume feel appropriate.

I'm guessing it'd be bright red. . . but you couldn't tell, because the desaturation filter would reduce it to just the vaguest hint of not being black. Also, the show would end with Fisk desperately flailing with his fists to kill a nearby random family, forcing Matt to break his neck.
post-66216-mad-max-thats-bait-gif-imgur-t-DECK.gif

:o

Last edited:
The original contract was 200M for 60 total episodes spread across the shows. That averages to about 3.3M per episode. I would tend to figure its still about the same for DD season 2, even though its not part of the old contract.

Well that sounds fair enough. Although due to the success of the Netflix Marvel shows. Theres probably an increase in the bidget.

Well that sounds fair enough. Although due to the success of the Netflix Marvel shows. Theres probably an increase in the bidget.

I figure whatever increase in per-episode budget is balanced out by the fact that the first season had a bunch of fixed cost investments they don't need to make again ( ie, the actual per episode budget of season 1 was somewhat lower ).

New mask is a huge improvement, though I wish they'd have his nose exposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"